Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Campaign Summary
Campaign Summary Genre: Fantasy
Game Location N/A
Game Times N/A
Online Game Details Online Game?: Yes
Additional Options Looking for Players?: Yes
Online Game

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Play by Post BRP/AD&D 1E/2E or other

Downloads
    Uploads

Play by Post BRP/AD&D 1E/2E or other

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Hello all,

I'm trying to gauge interest in a PbP game that I'd like to run because tabletop gaming groups have been tough to find lately. I've never run a PbP game before, but I'm excited about the prospect.

I'd like to run a fantasy game using Basic Roleplaying, AD&D 1E or 2E. Characters would probably start at 1st level. I'd start off with a short adventure and then branch out from there to an ongoing campaign. I'm open to other old-school systems or D&D retro-clones (e.g., Labyrinth Lord). I'm not locked into old-school systems, though, or even the fantasy genre for that matter, even though these are my preferences; I'm open to suggestions from potential players about systems to use and even what type of game to play. My only restriction about game system, I have to say, is that it would have to be a system I know reasonably well.

I'm really hoping that at least some of the players would be the type who want to have a creative role in the campaign. Since this is a PbP, it would be pretty easy--and fun, I might add--to shift gears if the players decided to venture outside the scope of my adventure notes and take the adventure in a direction of their own choosing. In a face-to-face game this is much more difficult to pull off, but in a PbP game it is very feasible. So I'm looking forward to a PbP game that won't have me railroading players and forcing them down a single plot trail (although of course I would have a plot of sorts).

I'd like to run the game at a frequency of two posts per week, which I think is pretty reasonable and easy to keep up with. I am not the type of person to start something and then suddenly break it off and leave others hanging. As long as there are players, I will faithfully keep the campaign going. Once I commit to something, I stick to it.

So, what say you? Anyone interested? Let's toss around some ideas...

SM

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ooh! Labyrinth Lord is cool! Sadly, my plate is a little full, so I'll have to pass.

I recently started my first exploration into PbP games on this site via my Avatar: Scorched Earth campaign. Thus far, I am enjoying it quite a bit.

One of my suggestions if you want to keep the posting frequent is to keep your player roster small. Perhaps 3 or 4 people at the very most. The more people you have, the more "lag" you open yourself up to (assuming you are posting in a round-robin fashion).
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Have never played, nor heard of Labyrinth Lord, but it does sound cool. I may be interested in your pbp game. Tell me more about your plans.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoth-Amon View Post
    Have never played, nor heard of Labyrinth Lord, but it does sound cool. I may be interested in your pbp game. Tell me more about your plans.
    Well, my plans are just about what I gave out in my OP. Beyond that, I can say that I am leaning toward fantasy since most (if not all) the adventures I have--both published and my own--are geared for a fantasy setting. I'd like to place the campaign in Greyhawk, since that setting was made for the 1E/2E systems and I have some source material for it. But a lot of this depends on what you, the players, want. Like I indicated, I'm open to suggestions about game systems, genre, style of game, etc. I'm also very open to letting the players take a significant creative role in the game, taking the game outside the limits of a predefined plot and making the GM shift gears. So you're on your way to investigate the abandoned evil temple but decide to stop at that lonely inn off the beaten path on the way there...so be it. Let your characters run wild (within reason, of course). That's the kind of game I prefer.

If you have any other specific questions, feel free to ask. Give me an idea of what kind of a PbP you'd be willing to commit to and we can throw around some ideas.

Der Spielmeister

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Old School dnd is fine, namely 1st edtion. I'm rusty but i do have the books. In fact, adventuring through some old classics sounds great.

I love the classic gnome illusionist/thief. So if you go 1st edition, that would most likely be my first choice. Bards and monks sound great too. I'm pretty open.

So far, i'm interested. Keep me up to date.
    Last edited by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon; 11-04-2008 at 02:47 PM.
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoth-Amon View Post
    Have never played, nor heard of Labyrinth Lord, but it does sound cool...
    It's available for free at:

http://www.goblinoidgames.com/labyrinthlord.htm

Edit: Oh, and don't forget Mutant Future:

http://www.goblinoidgames.com/mutantfuture.htm
    Last edited by Webhead; 11-04-2008 at 02:53 PM.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I might be up for getting into a 2nd pbp game. Let me know what you decide to run.
    Running: 2e DnD Forgotten Realms

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Downloads
    Uploads
    At this point I'm leaning more toward LL or 1E, with 1E being at the top, for these reasons:
    1) I'm shying away from 2E because there is already a 2E game about to get under way (Castle Greyhawk) which is looking to be a good game.

2) I'm more familiar with 1E than with LL. Of course, if I am outvoted on this, I'll happily do LL.

SM

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's my idea for what I'd like to run:

I'd like to run a game that is centered on a fantasy boom town that has quickly sprouted up because of the discovery of a rare type of shard with potent magical properties. (Think California Gold Rush.) The town itself would be populated by a variety of personalities--just how honorable they are would be for you to find out. In addition to the opportunities for interacting with the various NPCs that live and work in the town, the nearby mines would present opportunities for adventure as well as the surrounding wilds (yes, this boom town would be out in the remote wilderness, days away from any civilized areas).

I think this type of setting would provide a lot of potential for roleplaying, NPC interaction and intense combat.

SM
    Last edited by SpielMeister; 11-05-2008 at 07:59 AM.

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    LL or 1st edition, both are fine with me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Even though we haven't decided on a system yet, I thought I'd pass this on. It's a character generator for Labyrinth Lord:

http://truculent.org/llchar/

I haven't checked it out yet, but it might be good and helpful.

Downloads
    Uploads

Number of players

Well, so far we have only one player--Thoth Amon--who seems to be on board completely. If I get at least one other player we could get this started. Each player could play two characters, if desired, which would amount to 4 characters total--enough for a game. I might try to do some recruiting over on Dragonsfoot and Goblinoid, so sit tight and we might be off to adventure soon.

Downloads
    Uploads

Important announcement

Hello all,

I plan to run this game over on www.myth-weavers.com. They're designed strictly for PbP games and their dice roller looks pretty awesome. My handle over there is Hugo. I just started a thread called AD&D 1E PbP game in the Game Advertisements forum, so you should head over there, let me know who you are, and start discussing character ideas and so forth. Hope to see you there!

SM

Downloads
    Uploads
    yo im down with 1/2e rules. what would you use for pbp? OpenRPG?
    im still trying to figure out how to use that stuff.
    also what 'realm' would this game be in? levels?
    "Step one: choose thy lute
    Step two: choose thy tune
    Step three: Shred!"
    --Lute Hero for NWN2

Downloads
    Uploads
    OH OOPS! lol. I completely overlooked your last post. sorry.
    "Step one: choose thy lute
    Step two: choose thy tune
    Step three: Shred!"
    --Lute Hero for NWN2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast