Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Making my own RPG

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    there is a pen and paper game based on warhammer40k i believe that is in a percentile layout rules are sketchy and poorly done but I do believe it is percentile

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by placebosonly View Post
    there is a pen and paper game based on warhammer40k i believe that is in a percentile layout rules are sketchy and poorly done but I do believe it is percentile
    I haven't seen Warhammer 40K Roleplaying, but there's two editions of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying, one from 1986 that's reportedly very scattershot and another from 2005 (which I own) that's cleaner but still a little unintuitive. For example, it has "skills" and "talents", but for the most part skills only give you the ability to use one of your percentile attributes in a particular situation, unless you take it two or three times, each getting an extra +10%.

Both WFRP and "Dark Heresy" (the first and apparently only W40KRP book, according to Wikipedia) were both done by Black Industries, originally backed by Green Ronin and now owned by Fantasy Flight Games.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just to clarify:

Dark Heresy is an RPG based on the WH40K universe. It is very much alive and in print and has several supplements. You can read all about it here.

It is a very beautiful and well done game using a (slight) variant of the WFRP system. If you enjoy the WH40K universe and have ever wanted to roleplay in that world, it is simply indispensable.

Also, the adventure book 'Dark Heresy: Purge the Unclean' is pretty darn good. I haven't played any of the adventures yet, but they read well (and one of them takes place on a space hulk -- yay!).

Gary

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by placebosonly View Post
    you may want to check to see if there is an open license on the percentile system because i dont believe it is an open license just lookin out
    Mongoose's Runequest is an open license percentile system and I love the fact its so easy to convert d20 monsters into it.
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MortonStromgal View Post
    Mongoose's Runequest is an open license percentile system and I love the fact its so easy to convert d20 monsters into it.
    really? can you post a link to a rules page? sounds fun

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by trechriron View Post
    [I would choose to only post in one area, because the conversation is going to get divided...]

First question before I pipe in with opinions\advice...

Is this for personal use or a potential commercial\public release?
    personal use at first but if personal usage works out well and i "fix the bugs" through trial and error in game, then possibly i might submit the whole system.
    "Drink like a f***ing dwarf"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fmitchell View Post
    As much as I like alternate systems, I kinda have to agree with Tesral; I don't see anything in your description that screams "I need a new system". What problems does your new system solve that GURPS, d20 Modern, Unisystem, BRP, D6, Fudge, and the rest don't?

I would also caution you not to get too complicated too fast. Start with a simple resolution system (percentiles, die + bonus, dice pool, whatever), and then add rules to cover special situations. As an aside, I'm intrigued that "skills" are all-or-nothing bonuses to base percentages; I presume you're looking at the simplicity of 4e "training" or Warhammer Fantasy skills. From your description, though, the better weapons win, not the best wielder.

Also, as a die-hard simulationist, I wonder why skill improvements require gold *and* XP: gold is cost for training, presumably, but XP is real-world experience, so either should be sufficient unless a particular ability demands only one or the other (e.g. academic skills may require formal training, but perception-based abilities can't be learned in a classroom).
    the reason behind using XP to buy skills is that it represents "time spent learning" each skill. IRL you acquire "skills" by learning them in a formal learning institution (i.e. vocational school), but since such things are not available in the world in which my rpg is based on. So skills must be passed on from war-buddy to war-buddy. So spending XP on skills is like spending "time" that you might have been being taught something from somebody that knows. Make sense?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by wbrandel View Post
    I do wish you the best of luck with your chosen task, however I do have to ask why develop a new system when there are plenty of existing systems that would support a game of that nature?

It's mainly for the challenge and having a system of my own lets me make my own rules. I could use another system and making this thing would require much less time but, i havent found a system that satisfies my need of rules to the T. So i want my own system.

Downloads
    Uploads
    does anyone know where i can get a .pdf file of "d20 Weapons Locker"?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ah, i would suggest not asking such questions here on this forum, it will get your thread locked. ^^ here on the forum, they take anything that might possibly get the forum, admin, or even users in trouble, very very seriously. =D just a friendly heads up.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DungeonMaster View Post
    does anyone know where i can get a .pdf file of "d20 Weapons Locker"?
    If you want a LEGAL one, you can buy it from Drive Thru RPG for $30.

Otherwise, as said above, can't help you.

EDIT: You can also get the dead tree version mailorder from Alibris, among other places, for about $15 plus shipping.
    Last edited by fmitchell; 11-14-2008 at 02:59 AM.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Downloads
    Uploads
    thanks for the feed-back on the pdf thing i didnt know but back to giving advice or critiscism (i am never gunna spell that word right)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've split the whole PDF vs. dead tree discussion to its own thread

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DungeonMaster View Post
    thanks for the feed-back on the pdf thing i didnt know but back to giving advice or critiscism (i am never gunna spell that word right)
    no problems. we are here to help. =D

about your rpg, i would like to see an alpha or beta writeup of your system. that would give me a better feel, and thus something of an opinion, rather than just the (what feels like to me) scattered bits of information i've been seeing as i read this thread. ^^
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast