Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Making my own RPG

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Alrite, I have come to a "stuck spot". I am trying to figure percentage to hit. For FireArms I was doing a base percentage that varied from gun to gun plus Ability Mod. plus skill mod. which so far seems to work. BUT, Right now i am working on my Hand2Hand weapons and it doesnt seem right that an object, such as a broken beer bottle, would hinder your accuracy while swinging it. I do accept that maybe a heavy object, like a sledgehammer, would make you less accurate due to the weight, but something that could be easily swung or used like brass knuckles or the infamous broken beer bottle would not change your accuracy of a punch IRL. So then i thot that a 'base accuracy' derived from your STR. or AGI. would work. But i then ran into the problem of the players would just dump the 'high scores' in STR. and AGI. since my RPG is a very high combat-oriented one. Unless.....idk any ideas?
    "Drink like a f***ing dwarf"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe you should have an "accuracy" aspect be an aspect of weapons or objects? You could have an abstract "weight" score that demonstrates an object's generic weight and hand-ability. So, if a weapon lists an accuracy use that (as a modifier to the attack) OR if not, then use the objects "weight" score as a penalty to the attack. I would always keep "talents" and "skill" and other such factors on the character side of things versus the item\weapon side of things (so if a character is good at brawling, they have an "ability" or "talent" that improves their attack with improvised weapons, as an example versus trying to weigh in that factor in the broken beer bottle stats).

I would need to see more of you base system mechanics to help with impacts on numbers. The art of creating a character creation process that favors concept over optimization is obscure at best. There are a plethora of methods from simple "GM approves everything" to "combat stuff costs 3x as much as non-combat stuff" to "you can spend COOL POINTS if it has something to do with your goals, motivations, or flaws". YMMV.

It would be great to see a summary of your system basics, give us a better context for the discussion.
    Trentin C Bergeron (TreChriron)
    Bard, Dreamer & RPG Enthusiast
    October Northwest

Downloads
    Uploads
    i dont wanna post my "system" up here yet because it has way too many holes and things i am still working out...but as soon as i figure certain things out i will post it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Alright...sorry i havent added any updates recently. Abilities are gunna be rolled up by using 1d4 plus 1d6 to get results between 2-10. I believe any ability score of 1 is like you failed at life. Ability modifiers are as follows: 2-3 0% 4-5 5% 6-7 10% 8-9 15% 10, 20% I have been having trouble with my battle mechanics. So far i have this: Light weaponry is going to be based off of your Dexterity Score Mod. plus Skill Mod. minus weapon mod. (due to weight/recoil) plus percentile roll. All of that has to beat the person's or thing's TH rating (To Hit Rating) which is derived from 50% (base to hit rating) plus Dexterity Mod. plus 5% for every Job Level. For heavy weaponry i kinda wanna use their Muscle Mod. (Str. equivalent for my RPG) but i cant decide. Later on when i have more time i will post my weapon list. Also i am considering on adding mechs.

Downloads
    Uploads

Is this topic still active?

I Just today came across this thread and ... very interested. I guess I'm just wondering if people are still lookin at it. Is there a beta write up on your system yet and if so could you post it.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No one is stopping you.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I built my own, its all i use now. But, the parameters set forward do seem to indicate that there's probably already a system out there you can adopt and implement some home brew rules on to customize. Its a lot of work doing your own, not worth it unless you have the time...

Incarna; Role-Playing Game System
    www.incarna.net
    Running: 3+ campaigns set in single custom milieu world.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would be interested in playing this game when it is finished....sounds really interesting....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123