Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Out of Character Forum

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Point the way.
    "Any day in which you learn something is not a complete waste" - Polgara the Sorcerer

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ditto.
    Keck Publishing
    Swing by Roleplayers Direct!
    One Shot Adventures! Days of Knights, on sale at DriveThruRPG and RPGNow!

Downloads
    Uploads
    OK it will take me a few days to transfer everything over.... if any Site Admin read this, thanks for letting me have the board. But Its been hard finding players for my oldler version of Dungeons and Dragons. I will continue to point people in the direction of this site its wonderful for person to person contact making.
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
    -H.P. Lovecraft-

Downloads
    Uploads
    There seems to be some misunderstanding about my leaving, so let me clarify.

The dwarf comment, by itself, was not enough to make me leave. It was just a comment. As I told Excior (he should have relayed this to you as it wasn't personal), I'm running a PbP game of my own and decided that is enough gaming for me for the time being.

As for roleplaying: First of all, honestly the old "elves hate dwarves and dwarves hate elves" slant is only one out of hundreds of roleplaying possibilities. Our roleplaying of characters is limited only by our imaginations. There are countless personality traits that we can use to add life to our characters, so saying that elves and dwarves have always been at each other's throats, that's the way it is, etc., just doesn't cut it.

Secondly, the in-character use of the dwarf as the comedic "fall guy" (if I'm using the word right) has not come only from players of elf characters.

Third, this latest conversation has confirmed that this is not the game for me because in-fighting will be tolerated. That's not how I see roleplaying games are meant to be played, and it hasn't been that way in most of the roleplaying games I've been a part of, whether online or at the table (and I've been at quite a few).

But putting gaming theory aside, I hope you all continue with the campaign and have fun with it. Don't worry about not finding players; there are plenty out there. If you haven't tried these sites for recruiting, check them out:

www.rpg.net
    www.enworld.org
    www.myth-weavers.com (I would suggest even moving your game to this site--it's designed especially for PbP games and has a lot of utilities to help with it.)
    www.dragonsfoot.org
    www.knights-n-knaves.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    No worries about your decision to pull out. No one blames you for wanting a different style of role play.

I just have one question though. Is it okay for one player to try to influence others in how they are going to play their characters, just because he or she doesn't like their choices? You are correct that there is more than one way to play the interaction between any of the races, but the old tropes are what most folks gravitate to IME. Even you seemed to be playing your character as the traditional Dwarf; gruff, short-tempered, and direct.

If I am one of those that you believe was using Torak as the comedic "fall guy", I do apologize. Again, I was only playing my character as I thought he should be played.

Farewell, and always have fun.
    Keck Publishing
    Swing by Roleplayers Direct!
    One Shot Adventures! Days of Knights, on sale at DriveThruRPG and RPGNow!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SpielMeister View Post
    As for roleplaying: First of all, honestly the old "elves hate dwarves and dwarves hate elves" slant is only one out of hundreds of roleplaying possibilities. Our roleplaying of characters is limited only by our imaginations. There are countless personality traits that we can use to add life to our characters, so saying that elves and dwarves have always been at each other's throats, that's the way it is, etc., just doesn't cut it.

Secondly, the in-character use of the dwarf as the comedic "fall guy" (if I'm using the word right) has not come only from players of elf characters.
    For the record. Our characters just met so it would have been out of place for my character to say "Just like Torak, tactless as usual, even though you have been playing him that way. (smashing tankards and driving axes into tables, as well as some undiplomatic comments). I tried to be diplomatic about it, but it is quite obvious that you were looking for a way to take umbrage at something in the game and would have regardless of what was said.
    If you had responded as pretty much ANYONE else I have ever played with (which probably numbers near 100), with a comment from the character, my character would probably have apologized, and it would have been over and done with. However, it appears that you were looking for an excuse, not only to get out of the game but to cause difficulties among the players.
    I for one will not continue in the game if you are playing, nor will I join any game you are in or DMing.
    "Any day in which you learn something is not a complete waste" - Polgara the Sorcerer

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just to let you all know I am not offended easily and I don't really watch what I say either. After all how my character feels about your character is not how I feel about you and everything that I say in character is just that.
    Running: 2e DnD Forgotten Realms

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Downloads
    Uploads
    thank you Raven21, and most players I have known are like that. I just get irritated by people who try to pass off blame to others for their own malfunctions. I am usually very easy going and love ROLEplaying. I know enough to separate the game from life, and appreciate people who can do the same.
    I work for someone who does that very thing, and will be SO glad when I am able to find another job and get out of there.
    Anyway, that has nothing to do with the game. I am playing in a PBP game over on Twinwands site, and we have traded similiar comments back and forth (mage vs thief) and it has not lead to infighting, and infact has added quite a lot of flavour to the game. Not that every character of mine does such things, but I think if it is done without malice, it is a fun little roleplaying device.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Now that that is said and done I hope Dragon will still play with us and I expect I will move the site to one of the ones mention above, I have played on one of them before and relly like the extra stuff you can do on that site as far as PBP goes.
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
    -H.P. Lovecraft-

Downloads
    Uploads
    AM moving the game here Mythweavers sign up and PM me with your Site names over there.
    -H.P. Lovecraft-

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415