Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me build a 3.5 fighter/rogue

Downloads
    Uploads

Help me build a 3.5 fighter/rogue

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Anyone know of any PrCs out there for this combo?

I am sticking with human for the extra feat and skills, i love me skills and feats!

Ability scores will be:

Str 14
    Dex 14
    Con 12
    Int 14
    Wis 10
    Cha 12

She will be very much the scoundrel type rogue and fighter with a bad attitude and cocky demeanor. The idea for our party is to stick with ranged attacks, (we will have a cleric/warlock, druid, and ranged fighter or scout), but I want her to be effective in melee combat because melee is usually inevitable in D&D. So knowing that she will eventually get into melee I am thinking of focusing on feinting to make her very effective. With a high Int I like the idea of her being a good tactician also.

Here is my feat list so far of the essentials I want to take:

Improved Initiative
    Improved Feint
    Combat Expertise
    Quick Draw
    Point Blank Shot
    Precise Shot
    Weapon Focus

Any other suggestions?

Yes my previous character, the elven wizard was killed. Actually the whole party was killed. Yay for TPKs!!!
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

"It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would say pick Improved Initiative. It will give your character that little extra boost to help protect the frontlines if everyone else is going to be behind her.
    Drink lad. Drink to the past and drink to the morrow's reckoning.
    Becoming a hero is simple. Do something dumb enough to be brave yet lucky enough to survive.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    duelist prestige, perhaps? i've always thought that a drunken master rouge would be awesome to play. another option is to go the exotic weapon master, or master thrower route.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That low Wisdom could bite your ass. Neither Rogues or Fighters have good will saves.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nijineko View Post
    duelist prestige, perhaps? i've always thought that a drunken master rouge would be awesome to play. another option is to go the exotic weapon master, or master thrower route.
    I was thinking duelist also, but she is going to be on the front lines more often than the other characters so she is going to need to be able to take quite a few hits. So I am going to make her not focused in stealth skills, maybe just enough to off-set the armor check penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    That low Wisdom could bite your ass. Neither Rogues or Fighters have good will saves.
    Indeed, but she also needs hp (Con) to be on the front lines somewhat and be able to bluff (Cha) for feinting. Any ideas?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MuslixtheMighty View Post
    I would say pick Improved Initiative. It will give your character that little extra boost to help protect the frontlines if everyone else is going to be behind her.
    Already on the list!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Tremayne View Post
    Indeed, but she also needs hp (Con) to be on the front lines somewhat and be able to bluff (Cha) for feinting. Any ideas?
    Well the Int is pulling in more skill points. What is a 12 Cha doing for you? That +1 might be better off on the Will save. Or swap all three. Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 10. You loose one skill point a level, but gain a +2 will save.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Tremayne View Post
    I was thinking duelist also, but she is going to be on the front lines more often than the other characters so she is going to need to be able to take quite a few hits. So I am going to make her not focused in stealth skills, maybe just enough to off-set the armor check penalties.
    duelist is not stealth oriented... or at least not so as i recall it. and it boosts your ac via your int score... that's one of the reasons why i suggested it. ^^
    Last edited by nijineko; 10-22-2008 at 02:37 AM.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There is a feat in CS IIRC that makes the enemy target you, may come in handy to save a wizzy.
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Downloads
    Uploads
    Order of the Bow Initiate (CW?) will give you mad ranged damage that stacks with your sneak attack and eventually I think you can fire in base-to-base contact without AoO.

The Nightsong Enforcer and Infiltrator (CAdv) are good team playing rogues. The Streetfighter and Vigilante (also CAdv) are slightly more martial rogues.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well we are playing the Age of Worms campaign and so far it seems that the campaign was written for characters that are strictly a single class and assumes that you have a fighter, cleric, wizard, and a rogue in the party.

Knowing that, I need all the skill points I can get so I can keep Disable Device, Search, and Open Locks at max.

Our party will be made up of:

Dwarven Druid
    Elven Cleric/Warlock
    an archer of some sort
    and my character Fighter/Rogue

Our tactic will be to attack from range as much as possible, but as enemies close I am expecting to take my character to the forefront to form the line as it were.

So she will need to wear at least medium armor which means that she wouldn't get much advantage from going Duelist because they only get that Int bonus to AC when wearing no armor or light armor. I want to get her a suit of +x Elven Chain Mail eventually, which will help in her mobility.

Also since she will be loosing some points of Bab, she is going to have to rely on magic and magic items to boost her hit percentage. To help make up for this she will be focused on feinting in melee, with Improved Feint she can feint as a move action and attack in the same round.

Here is what I am thinking for her feats:

1 Rogue 1 Skill Focus (bluff) Combat Expertise (also the reason for a high Int!), Sneak Attack +1d6, trap finding
    2 Rogue 2 Evasion
    3 Fighter 1 Quick Draw (since she will need to be able to switch from ranged to melee at a moments notice), Skill Focus (Disable Device)
    4 Fighter 2 Improved Feint
    5 Rogue 3 Sneak Attack +2d6
    6 Fighter 3 Improved Initiative
    7 Rogue 4 Uncanny Dodge
    8 Fighter 4 Dodge
    9 Rogue 5 Mobility, Sneak Attack +3d6
    10 Fighter 5
    11 Rogue 6 Trap Sense +1
    12 Fighter 6 Spring Attack, Staggering Strike
    13 Rogue 7 Sneak Attack +4d6
    14 Fighter 7
    15 Rogue 8 Bounding Assault, Improved Uncanny Dodge
    16 Fighter 8 Combat Tactician
    17 Rogue 9 Sneak Attack +5d6
    18 Fighter 9 Deft Strike
    19 Rogue 10 Rogue Special Ability
    20 Fighter 10 ???

So, she will focus on being semi-mobile in combat, depending on the armor she is wearing.

What do you think? Tweaks?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ignimbrite View Post
    Order of the Bow Initiate (CW?) will give you mad ranged damage that stacks with your sneak attack and eventually I think you can fire in base-to-base contact without AoO.

The Nightsong Enforcer and Infiltrator (CAdv) are good team playing rogues. The Streetfighter and Vigilante (also CAdv) are slightly more martial rogues.
    Oooo! I'll have to take another look at those!

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well the downside of being the front line for melee combat is that your sneak attack won't really get much use. I would plan on the druid using animal form to draw off the melee so you could get on the flank.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    invisible blade might be worth your while... only 5 levels, and +3d6 sneak attack. ^^ there is a "small" disadvantage to it, however. =D

master thrower also goes nicely with a rouge type, and the above.
    Last edited by nijineko; 10-23-2008 at 01:33 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearfoot_Adam View Post
    Well the downside of being the front line for melee combat is that your sneak attack won't really get much use. I would plan on the druid using animal form to draw off the melee so you could get on the flank.
    Hence the Improved Feint feat. Feint as a move action to cause my opponent to loose their Dexterity bonus to AC, thus granting sneak attack to come into play during a normal melee attack.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast