Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Traveller Dead?

Downloads
    Uploads

Is Traveller Dead?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I used to play Traveller back "in the day", early 80s to be exact but can't seem to find a way to get back into today. I've searched for online games played via virtual tabletop and can't seem to locate one. Absolutely nothing in my area although there are lots of D&D options available. Am I just looking in the wrong places? What gives?

If people aren't playing Traveller to get their SciFi RPG fix then what is popular that would fill my void? I also played Gamma World but find it equally difficult to find something online or near me. Savage Worlds?

Anyone? Bueller?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't believe its dead, it appears to be on life support. There are a few games out there that I have noticed, but nothing consistent. It is a shame though

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wouldn't say it's dead. A company, can't remember who, published an new version of the rules about 3 or 4 years ago, which a friend of mine reviewed. He was constantly communicating with that developer/publisher, but I haven't spoken to him recently.

Another friend of mine, who owns Scrying Eye Games, has recently gotten the rights to publish maps for miniatures use of the various basic ships from Traveller, so htere's still activity for the game.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape View Post
    I wouldn't say it's dead. A company, can't remember who, published an new version of the rules about 3 or 4 years ago ...
    Mongoose Publishing ... and they're still supporting the line. Presumably someone buys their stuff (besides me).
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fmitchell View Post
    Mongoose Publishing ... and they're still supporting the line. Presumably someone buys their stuff (besides me).
    That's the company! Thanks for posting it, fmitchell, my old timers was kicking in and I couldn't remember it!

My friend that was reviewing the game ran it for us when Mongoose first released it to the public and as they came out with the different books, he used them in the game as well. Alas, he's no longer running the game though!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads

VTT's and Traveller

One of the challenges is that none of the major (and most of the minor) VTT systems do not provide support for Traveller. d20Pro seems to be an easy mod to play Traveller on. But I agree that Traveller does not seem to be popular out there. I am just getting back into it and will be looking for virtual players soon. Stay tuned.

Bronco_6
    San Antonio, TX

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's not dead, but it's surely a niche market...

I'm playing in a game over at Myth Weavers (http://www.myth-weavers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20435) that only has two players going currently, and could use some new blood, if anyone is interested in applying.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The game is not dead, but some of the players have died.

One way to breathe new life into a game in your area is to run a few games of it at your local gaming convention. Might take a while to stir up the players, but after a while people will start to sign up and you may find you can fill up a table or two. some of those players may want to join a local game with you.

Speaking of conventions, Denver Gamers are hosting a convention here in a few weeks. http://www.denvergamers.org/

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Look around the web. Not dead by far. With all the versions the field is somewhat splintered, like D&D. But no game is dead as long as it has some fans.

Dirty secret. We do not need the game companies. They need us. We can play our games without materials from third parties. Yes, some times they are nice to have and I do get them, but I don't need them, no one does. As long as the concept and the existing materials are out there the game is never truly dead. I could dredge the ancient digest sized books out of my archive and play Traveler tomorrow.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mrken View Post
    Speaking of conventions, Denver Gamers are hosting a convention here in a few weeks. http://www.denvergamers.org/
    Holy cow, I'd not expected to see nearly so many HERO games at Ghengis this year. I didn't see any GURPS or Traveller, though. Maybe it's a regional thing?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    At cons it usually comes down to who can they get to run what, unless you have a concerted push for a given game like the Pathfinder Society or RPGA. (Neither of which I like.)

The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    At cons it usually comes down to who can they get to run what, unless you have a concerted push for a given game like the Pathfinder Society or RPGA. (Neither of which I like.)
    My first game of D&D 4E was an RPGA game - I'm surprised I kept playing after that debacle - so I can totally get where you're coming from. Still baffled by the multiple HERO games being offered. Just wish they were a little less tongue in cheek - a common problem with con games, I know.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've done both sides of the Con deal, as the GM and as the organizer. Some do better than others. Tongue in cheek? Hard core gamers that play at cons like a little levity. I do the same thing myself. You will do stuff at a con you would not do at home.

One of my popular Con games was "The Senior Players' Tour in which all the PC are retired adventurers with various disabilities out of save the day one more time. The Paladin (and Horse) with fatigue syndrome, the cleric that is hard of hearing. The Magician with memory problems, the Fighter with dementia (still fighting the Battle of Cromden Pass) the thief with palsy. The town has been taken over by an old Foe and "ol' Zippo the beyond ancient Red Dragon. They must over come obstacle like that hill and the local (strong and hearty) farm boys that don't believe them to save the day.

The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    One of my popular Con games was "The Senior Players' Tour in which all the PC are retired adventurers with various disabilities out of save the day one more time. The Paladin (and Horse) with fatigue syndrome, the cleric that is hard of hearing. The Magician with memory problems, the Fighter with dementia (still fighting the Battle of Cromden Pass) the thief with palsy. The town has been taken over by an old Foe and "ol' Zippo the beyond ancient Red Dragon. They must over come obstacle like that hill and the local (strong and hearty) farm boys that don't believe them to save the day.
    Thats awesome! I haven't played any games at a Con but hoping to go with some guys from my group this year to Indy. At least they've recently expressed an interest in taking a break from D&D and having me run a Traveller Campaign. I'd still like to find a game to play in but still no luck finding one in my area.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jwpacker View Post
    Holy cow, I'd not expected to see nearly so many HERO games at Ghengis this year. I didn't see any GURPS or Traveller, though. Maybe it's a regional thing?
    gurps support at a con usually depends on how many mib you have in the region.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast