Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Home Grown Spells
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Grown Spells

Downloads
    Uploads

Home Grown Spells

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Just as the title says, this thread is for sharing home grown spells that aren't available in any books other than your character/DM notes. Here's one of mine...

Spell: Thriller
    School: Necromancy
    Level: 9th level WIZ/SOR/BARD spell
    Components: V, S, F
    Range: 100 yards
    Area Of Effect: 30 yard radius
    Casting time: 1 round
    Duration: Aproximately 5 minutes
    Saving Throw: Special
    Discription:
    This spell is a combination of the spells Magic Mouth, Otto's Irresistable Dance, Domination, and Control Undead. Once cast on the undead, all those affected begin singing and dancing as though they were in Michael Jackson's Thriller video. Once they begin to sing and dance, they continue to do so for the entire duration of the song. The spell affects 2d6 hit dice of undead per level of caster, with no upward limit. Thus a 40th level wizard could affect 80d6 hit dice of undead. All unintelligent or quasi-intelligent undead, such as zombies, skeletons, ghouls, ghasts, etc, are automatically affected with no saving throw. Any intelligent undead, such as vampires, liches, ghosts, etc, get a Saving Throw vs Will to avoid the effects (or Save vs Spells if you're playing an earlier edition of D&D). While singing and dancing, the undead are incapable of fighting or defending themselves in any way, giving PCs plenty of free shots with which to destroy them. Once the song ends, however, they resume their normal activities. The focal component to this spell is a silver sequined glove worn on the right hand. The somatic component is to spin around, go up onto your tiptoes, grab your crotch with your left hand, thrust your pelvis forward, throw your right hand into the air, and say the vocal component, which is "WOOOO! WHAT TIME IS IT?"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice one. I'll post mine as soon as I've got more time.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Cool! Great thread, Tony. I love homebrew spells. I'll be keeping track of this thread.

I'd love to share my own spells except a computer crash last year left me without my digital spellbook.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    Spell: The Midas Touch
    School: Alteration
    Level: 7th level WIZ/SOR/BARD
    Components: V, S, M
    Range: Touch
    Area Of Effect: Special
    Casting Time: Special
    Duration: Permanent
    Saving Throw: Save vs Reflex to Negate (or Save vs Petrification in earlier editions)
    Description:
    By casting this spell, anything touched by the caster turns to solid gold. The casting time for the spell itself is 7, then the caster has one round per level in which to discharge the magic (rather like a Shocking Grasp spell). The spell will affect only the one object or creature touched. In the case of touching extremely large objects or creatures, the spell has limitations. For large inanimate objects (boulders, mountains, buildings, etc), the spell will turn a 10' x 10' x 10 cubic area into gold. In the case of extremely large creatures (giants, dragons, demons, etc), the spell affects creatures with up to one hit die per level of caster. Thus a 20th level wizard could turn a 200 cubic foot section of mountain, a 13 hit die giant, or a 20 hit die dragon into solid gold. This spell is not reversable and cannot be dispelled with anything less powerful than a Wish. This spell should be used with extreme caution, as it could potensially be extremely devestating to a world's economy. The material components for this spell are gold dust, lead powder or shavings, the powdered scales of a gold dragon, and the powdered skull from the snake off a medusa's head (or a midassa's, if you're using my medusa offshoots).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Spell: Woodsteel; Bonesteel; Stonesteel
    School: Alteration
    Level: 8th level WIZ/SOR/BARD
    Area Of Effect: One Object
    Casting Time: 8
    Duration: Permanent
    Saving Throw: N/A
    Description:
    These spells were created by a barbarian witchdoctor (ie: a sorcerer raised in a barbarian society) in order to make the simple wood, bone, and stone weapons and sheilds the tribes warriors used more effective against the metal weapons and armour of their more civilized enemies. They're essentially dirivatives of the more common spell Glassteel. Woodsteel makes any piece of wood as hard and as durable as solid steel. A wooden club with this spell cast upon it will never break, can't be burned, and is far deadlier than your standard wooden club. One can even make wooden swords, knives, and axes that are every bit as effective as their steel cousins. Bonesteel makes any single bone as hard and as durable as steel. Like Woodsteel weapons and armour, any tools, weapons or armour made of bone that have Bonesteel cast upon them are as strong and as durable as their more civilized metal cousins. Bonesteel even works on ivory. And finally, Stonesteel makes stone weapons and tools as hard and as strong and durable as steel. Stone daggers and axes, and stone arrow and spear heads, which have had Stonesteel cast upon them no longer have a chance of breaking when they strike something solid (such as a metal shield or weapon). The material components for Woodsteel is a pinch of iron powder or steel shavings and a bit of sawdust or wood chips. The material components for Bonesteel are a pinch of iron powder or steel shavings and some powdered bones or bone chips. The material components for Stonesteel are iron powder or steel shavings and a few pebbles.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Tony, I like the Woodsteel, Bonesteel, Stonesteel spell. I may have to add that one to a list of spells available for my 2E groups magic users. I also like how you made it an 8th level spell. This way it isn't that easy to get to use it.

I will be watching for other spells that will be interesting to add.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Spell: Flame Web
    School: Evocation/ Alteration
    Level: 2 Wiz/Bard
    Range 10 yards/level
    Duration: 2 turns every 2 levels
    Casting Time: 2
    Area of Effect: Special

The Flame Web spell creates a many-layered mass of strong, sticky strand similar to spider webs but far larger and tougher.
    The spell covers a maximum 20' x 20 x 20' web for burning purposes it must be 20 feet thick. Anyone who touches it will be stuck in the web at 1/2 strength.
    Anyone in the area when the spell is cast must roll a saving throw vs. spell with a -2 penalty. If the saving throw is successful, two things may have occurred. If the creature has room to escape the are, then it is assumed to have jumped free and only suffers 1d4 from heat damage. If there is no room to escape, then the webs are only at half strength and they take 2d4 plus 1 point per level to a maximum of 20. At 1/2 strength the web starts off by restraining creatures with 7 or less strength are stuck until freed and each round decreases by 1 from the web burring its self down to 0 that is when the web is fully consumed 1 foot of web can be broken through each round. Missile weapons are ineffective against creatures stuck in the web and the web its self, but wooden ones will burn causing an additional 1d4 damage.
    The normal web will start of restrain creatures of 13 or lower strength or until freed and each round decreases by 1 from the web burring its self down to 0 that is when the web is fully consumed and they take 1d6 from being hit and each round after 2d4 plus 1 point per level to a maximum of 20 from the web burning.1 foot of web can be broken through each round unless creature has 18 strength then is 2 feet a round. Extremely strong and massive creatures break through 4 feet of web around. If the web is 1/2 strength then 18 strength or higher and massive creatures break through 2 x as much web.
    The material component is a pinch of sulfur and a bit of a spider web. The sulfur is rubbed into the spider web.
    Running: 2e DnD Forgotten Realms

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Spell: Rheanin Clause's Illusory Battle Damage, (+Greater & Mass)
    School: Illusion, Abjuration
    Level: 6,7,8th Arcane
    Area Of Effect: Touched
    Casting Time: 1min
    Duration: 1hr/3 lvls
    Saving Throw: Will Negates(Harmless)
    Spell Resistance: Yes(Harmless)
    Description: This spell was created by a Gnome Illusionist member of The Bleak Cabal, Rheanin Clause. While caught in the Blood Wars on Elysium fighting the proxies there, Rheanin and his fellow Bleakers thought it would be nice to be able to make them believe that they were taking much more damage than they actually were. To lure them into a trap of an (undead) ambush.
    This spell functions similar to Stoneskin in most respects (The subject gains damage reduction 10/adamantium and once the spell has prevented a total of 10 points of damage per caster level (max 150 points), it is discharged.) with the added bonus of having all attacks that hit appear to do what the attacker intended to the extent of non-dismemberment.
    Greater: Change it to DR 10 and add dismembering illusion.
    Mass: As Greater with an Area of Affect: All allies within 120'.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindbomb View Post
    Spell: Rheanin Clause's Illusory Battle Damage, (+Greater & Mass)
    School: Illusion, Abjuration
    Level: 6,7,8th Arcane
    Area Of Effect: Touched
    Casting Time: 1min
    Duration: 1hr/3 lvls
    Saving Throw: Will Negates(Harmless)
    Spell Resistance: Yes(Harmless)
    Description: This spell was created by a Gnome Illusionist member of The Bleak Cabal, Rheanin Clause. While caught in the Blood Wars on Elysium fighting the proxies there, Rheanin and his fellow Bleakers thought it would be nice to be able to make them believe that they were taking much more damage than they actually were. To lure them into a trap of an (undead) ambush.
    This spell functions similar to Stoneskin in most respects (The subject gains damage reduction 10/adamantium and once the spell has prevented a total of 10 points of damage per caster level (max 150 points), it is discharged.) with the added bonus of having all attacks that hit appear to do what the attacker intended to the extent of non-dismemberment.
    Greater: Change it to DR 10 and add dismembering illusion.
    Mass: As Greater with an Area of Affect: All allies within 120'.
    Oh, I like that one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, that means alot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cplmac View Post
    Tony, I like the Woodsteel, Bonesteel, Stonesteel spell. I may have to add that one to a list of spells available for my 2E groups magic users. I also like how you made it an 8th level spell. This way it isn't that easy to get to use it.

I will be watching for other spells that will be interesting to add.
    I'm glad you liked them. They're actually three seperate spells, I just grouped them together like that because I didn't want to have to write everything out three times. My rule of thumb for homegrown spells is if you're altering an existing spell (in this case Glassteel), you add at least one to the spells level. If I remember correctly, Glassteel is a 6th or 7th level spell, thus the wood, bone, and stone variations are all 8th level. If a DM personally feels that they should all be the same spell level, he should feel free to change it as he sees fit.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Spell: Nuke
    School: Invocation/Evocation
    Level: 9th level WIZ (2E) or Epic Level WIZ/SOR/BARD (3E+)
    Components:V, S, M
    Range: 2500 Yards
    Area Of Effect: Special
    Casting Time: One Turn
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Spell Resistance: Yes
    Description:
    This is a very, VERY potent version of the Delayed Blast Fireball spell. Just as with the more common variety, casting this spell causes a tiny ember to float gently towards its target. Then it explodes doing 10d10X10 damage to everything within a 1000 yard radius. Everything within that area gets NO SAVING THROW. The heat of the blast is so intense that for every point of damage done, the devastation expands by one yard. Anyone outside the immediate area of effect gets to Save vs Reflex for half damage. Furthermore, for every yard outside the area of effect, you subtract 1 point of damage done to those caught in the heat wave. For example, a mage covers his hands with Dust Of Damage and then casts Nuke, ensuring he does max damage. A person standing 1999 yards away from ground zero will only take 1 point of damage (or none if he makes his Save vs Reflex). Someone one yard closer to ground zero will take 2 points of damage (or 1 if he makes his save), etc. Obviously this spell should not be handed out to PCs except for in extreme circumstances, like having to cripple the hordes of Mordor for example. Originally I had created this spell for NPC use, for when PCs got too big for their britches (the ultimate munchkin killer). It was designed by a LG wizard (who's also an ancient gold dragon) to protect the small kingdom he had sworn to guard for all time. Thus it's not very likely to be used very often, unless it's stolen from his spellbook. The material components for this spell are guano from a red or gold dragon, sulpher, blood from a red or gold dragon, and the powdered scales of a red or gold dragon.
    Last edited by Tony Misfeldt; 10-28-2008 at 02:20 PM.

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There really are a couple of great spells here.

<putting a copy of them in my secret evil dm's notebook>
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Blackmane's Burst Throw (Evocation)
    Level 1
    Components: V
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Casting Time: 1 action
    Area of Effect: 1 opponent + 1 opponent per level

This spell causes a wave of blue light to flashes across the caster's body causing creatures touching the target at the time to be forcefully thrown 10+2d8 feet from the caster (within the spell limit). The flash itself does no damage but causes all thrown creatures to make a Fortitude save or be stunned for one round. Stunned creatures will be unable to recover from the fall, pick up weapons or otherwise attack. Stunned creatures can defend with a -4 to the AC and no Dexterity bonus to armor class. Any creature in close proximity to the caster may be carried off by the thrown creatures. Note: Giant size creatures such as dragons will only have the area of their body touching the caster affected, claws, tail, jaw, etc. A failed save means the affected limb cannot be used in the next round.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

I feel like a low level Magick User... again. My spellbook is getting bigger and bigger and even more valuable as the days go by. Keep 'em coming, and i'll keep entering them into my Tome of Magick.

All funning aside, i hope to participate too on this thread, i just have to find my homebrew spells. I must have packed them somewhere, for i am moving to the Bay Area in the next few months, and just have where to locate them. Frustrating, but

Check out my haste spell:

Pretty good, eh?
    Last edited by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon; 10-29-2008 at 12:21 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast