Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: D&D Firefly

Downloads
    Uploads

D&D Firefly

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I had trouble deciding whether I should post this under Fantasy or Sci Fi. I decided to post it here since it will likely get more traffic. I have recently gotten inspired to do a Firefly (the television series) type universe with fantasy races and elements. Basically D&D with a western/Sci Fi setting. I haven't thought out too much yet, so I will add to this as I have more detailed questions. I want to use D20 D&D 3.5 as the base. I could use some suggestions and maybe some other resources that I could use that I can convert to the game. I am figuring on using the various D&D races (Dwarves etc.) as races from different planets of origin. I will need to change the racial abilities from a fantasy setting to fit with a sci-fi western setting. Off the top of my head I am thinking of going with a non magic universe. If I use elves in that case they will need to be totaly readapted. I could also use some reference ideas for diagrams of various types of spaceships. That's something I really don't want to create from scratch. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Spelljammer would be a great resource for you to check out for this.
    [comment about D&D 4E]I have to ask myself, am I just buying a name here? If I fell in love with a gal named Wanda ten years ago, does that mean that every new Wanda that comes along is going to be just as groovy?
    I like the old Wanda, This new Wanda looks like high maintenence.
    ~nordo billingswary at the K&Co forums

Downloads
    Uploads
    There is a Serenity RPG out there (came out in 2005). I browsed through it at Barnes and Noble a few weeks ago. It's not D20, but you could probably use the source material and convert it to D20 if you wanted.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Will you be going with what would probably be the obvious role for the dwarves as being the miners/prospectors? A suggestion for the evles would be to make them be most of the aristocratic types, mayor, merchants, etc. Will there be futuristic/scifi type weapons or will they basically be what was available back in the "Old West"? I am also curious to see with what the story is on how the races got there from the other planets.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As well as the Serenity RPG as DeathbyDM mentioned, there might also be some good info (especially since you want to run D&D 3.5) to be found in the Dragonstar RPG books published by Fantasy Flight Games.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another place to go for ship design could be Seas of Blood ( a mongoose book). Yes they are sailing ships but they would give you a basic template to work off of as you convert the hull from wood to metal, and catapults to laser cannons.

As far as the elves needing a complete overhaul in a non magical setting I would just give them a different preferred class. Depending on what version of elves you want (civilized vs. Wild) they could either be rogues or any ranger variant from less magic oriented settings.

If races are from different planets and the a major theme of Firefly and westerns is life on the fringe does this mean that each race has it's own planetary frontiers?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    D20 Modern might be a better d20 base that D&D. There is also a "future" version I have never seen. That could be right up your alley.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There are alot of sci-fi free modules on the net as well. It sould help you when thinking up a clever scenario to run your gamers through.
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You can also check around for used copies of Alternity and Star Frontiers for a TSR influenced dose of space fantasy. Coming from the D&D company, you may find enough commonalities in the approach to the game to enjoy it.
    --
    Grimwell

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for all the great suggestions. I haven't worked out the history yet. I figure that all the different races come from different planets within the same system, but travel freely between them. Most planets now contain a mix of all races, although many civilizations are still rather segregated. Dwarves will come from a mining planet, which will be their primary source of trade with other planets. Most travelling Dwarves will be warriors. Like I said, I haven't worked out the history yet, but I'm thinking they probably were a mining culture until a great war forced them to become soldiers. So far as weapons go, I am going to stay away from lasers and other future weapons and stick to projectiles like on Firefly/Serenity. Mostly sticking to old west style with the rare modern style weapons. There is a used copy of Alternity at my local Hastings. I will pick it up this week. I have all the old Star Frontiers stuff from ages ago. I need to get it out of storage. I will also see if I can find the Serenity role playing game. I am good at converting things. I would not be good at converting ship designs to space ship designs. I could convert stats, but I really want some visuals for players.

Downloads
    Uploads
    On consideration, it does appear that D20 modern will be the place to start and then convert the fantasy races. I have never played D20 future, but I will need to look it up.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    for me, the greatest benefit of d20 future was that they converted all the star frontiers pc races to 3.x. =D for that alone i'd buy it. ^^
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    Firefly had lasers, they were just very expensive and tended to attract lots of unwanted attention, making them rare outside the Core planets. They also didn't have very large power packs.

I would say the projectile weapons in Firefly had advanced targeting systems or possibly electronic firing mechanisms (a la Metal Storm), since they mostly all went *kcheee* when cocked and featured vastly expanded ammunition supplies.

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mead View Post
    Firefly had lasers, they were just very expensive and tended to attract lots of unwanted attention, making them rare outside the Core planets. They also didn't have very large power packs.

I would say the projectile weapons in Firefly had advanced targeting systems or possibly electronic firing mechanisms (a la Metal Storm), since they mostly all went *kcheee* when cocked and featured vastly expanded ammunition supplies.
    I would agree. I always felt...also, that the guns in Firefly were high tech in regqards to construction and mechanisms while having an old design concept/appearance, most likley due to the popularity of such designs.

Therefore: Lighter, stronger, more powerful, more accurate, more reliable, fused with an old design for appearances.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast