Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Old Celtic Game

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

New Old Celtic Game

I am working on a classic game with a strong Celtic influence (Witches and Wyverns). The player takes the role of a classic witch in a growing world. In this world magic is mysterious and untrusted by many. "Civilized" people frown upon its use and discriminate against those who practice it. It is considered crude, barbaric, and outdated compared to the New Ways (similar to the way paganism faded when Christianity came).

I want to keep the magic very ritualistic and not just where the player can throw around spells and such. Divination is very heavy in this game and is the main aspect of a witches power. To balance this I figured I would take after that show "Charmed" and give each witch an 'innate' power.

Witches also have a familar spirit that is bound to them. These familiars are really spirits that the witch invokes into an animal form. They are supernaturally linked to the witch and also grow to have magic powers themselves.

Some witches may want to choose to specialize in one particular area of magic. So I created some schools which so far include:

Natural
    Divination
    Elemental
    Illusion
    Candle
    Enchantment

Natural Magic - Magic that works with plants and animals.

Divination - Magic used to gather information.

Elemental - Magic that works with Air, Fire, Earth, and Water.

Illusion - Spells that trick the senses.

Candle - Spells cast from a single candle, general spells such as lock, unlock, message.

Enchantment - Spells that give people or items other magical powers or enhancements.

Fey and the fairie courts play a big role in the game as well. Witches mostly come from humans. But I have put a little thought into other races.

Elves - Very rarely encountered, elves are majestic beings who guard the Old Ones. Servants of the Green Man, elves are given a way to get to The Summerland as a reward for their services. Very magical they get their magic through their link to the fey and the fairie courts. They are also highly skilled with the bow and sword.

Dwarves - Seen more oftenly than elves, dwarves are miners, blacksmiths, jewelers, and architects. Strong warriors who greatly distrust magic, dwarves are almost entirely disconnected to the fey. Though they still believe in the Old Path, they have secluded themselves from associating with it.

Halflings - Small, sweet people halflings live in hillocks in lush valleys. Among all the races, halflings accept witches more readily than any other, and at least one can be found in most halflings villages, though their magic is usually limited to healing and helping the farmers.

I want it to work on either a percentage system or a d10 system like used in World of Darkness games. Any advise, help, ideas, comments?

Downloads
    Uploads
    There is an rpg called "Witchcraft" that I have only heard of. I don't know if you had heard of it before.

PS. Here is the link
    http://www.edenstudios.net/witchcraft/
    Drink lad. Drink to the past and drink to the morrow's reckoning.
    Becoming a hero is simple. Do something dumb enough to be brave yet lucky enough to survive.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like a hoot, would love to sit around a table and try that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MuslixtheMighty View Post
    There is an rpg called "Witchcraft" that I have only heard of. I don't know if you had heard of it before.

PS. Here is the link
    http://www.edenstudios.net/witchcraft/
    Great system, really easy to pick up and play. They have a lot of really nice magic schools as well.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Janisy View Post
    (similar to the way paganism faded when Christianity came).
    oddly enough, the same thing happend to christianity when paganism arose from christianity for the first time several thousands of years ago.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am confused as to the response above me. Paganism never arose from christianity lol But anyways. I do live the Unisystem in witchcraft and the magic in it. That has helped a lot. Thanks you guys.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just like the Kaola Brothers, we're here to help.
    Drink lad. Drink to the past and drink to the morrow's reckoning.
    Becoming a hero is simple. Do something dumb enough to be brave yet lucky enough to survive.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Janisy View Post
    I am confused as to the response above me. Paganism never arose from christianity lol ....
    a lot of people are unaware of that fact. no biggie. ^^
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nijineko View Post
    a lot of people are unaware of that fact. no biggie. ^^

Well. I think one would have to define paganism but that might be out of the scope for this thread.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I see the word "Celtic" in the thread title, but I can't see anything much Celtic in the game description so far.
    Au gibet noir, manchot aimable, dansent, dansent les paladins
    Les maigres paladins du diable les squelettes de Saladins.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The world "pagan" has Latin roots for people who don't live in the city. When Christianity was adopted in Rome it was mostly in the cities (first) and the country folk stuck to their existing religions... leading "pagan" (folk from the country) to become associated with their religious beliefs. They weren't a product of Christianity, they were already there (first, no less).

In the general historic sense, a pagan is someone who is not a Christian or Jewish. The religions that fit this classification are wide and varied and some of them definitely grew up parallel (or before) the Old Testament events occurred (or were written, let's not debate religion).

So yeah, nijineko's confusing me too -- or using the world to describe something outside the common vernacular, which makes it a much lesser known "fact" on the pile.
    --
    Grimwell

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    it is lesser know history, ignored by most. i seem to be side tracking the post, so i'll leave it at this. the judeo-christian religion is much older than most people realize, tracking back more than 5500 years.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I say you share a link for the curious.
    --
    Grimwell

Downloads
    Uploads
    Saul and David were Christians?

Don't remember much of my mythology anymore but some cults of Ba'al go back more than 14,000 years. Was used as the name for many gods and/or spirits, even the original chosen people spoke of their one God using the Ba'al name as a generic title for God. Pagan was used as a generic term for any country dweller, foreigner and foreign religion. Just a bit of trivial data stored in old dinosaur brain which is a repository of absolutely useless information relevant to nothing. Now where the dickens did I put my keys?

To original post I have a whole shelf of books written by philosophers, anthropologists, paleontologists, archaeologists and liars, er I mean story tellers. A little heavy for researching for a campaign but one you might like for a little color is "Henge Monuments" by Geoffrey Wainright. Combination of geography, building techniques, tools used, and ceremonies as constructed from artifacts and lore. Might not help in building a campaign but a little back ground material for the physical aspects of the era should help with role playing in the era. Boudicca the warrior queen is a popular topic of a lot of books about that era, lot of it is conjecture and fictionalized but I enjoy reading about her. I like strong women heroines.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So........ about my game lol.

Someone said it didn't have many celtic themes. Well I was thinking the old pagan theme was very celtic. Also the faerie courts and such. Throw some ideas at me if you got any please. lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast