Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Question concerning Prestige class for Jedi
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Question concerning Prestige class for Jedi

Downloads
    Uploads

Question concerning Prestige class for Jedi

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Im new to playing the Star Wars RPG and was am confused about Jedi. When you start out as a Jedi class your considered an apprentice and when you get to 7th level you can pick the prestige class Jedi Knight and again at level 12 Jedi Master. I've never delt with prestige classes before but im assuming its just like multi-classing. The question is when you pick Jedi Knight does it override jedi apprentice or are you know multi-classing apprentice and knight? It just seems weird to be able to level up an apprentice class if your already a knight. If thats the case then when you pick jedi master are you now a apprentice/knight/master? I can understand a knight/master but the other sounds weird.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    While you usually take the "Jedi" to qualify for "Knight" and "Master", it is not exactly only a class for "apprentices". If you wished, you could take 20 levels of the Jedi class and not take Knight or Master at all if you didn't want to. Your character does not have to take the "Knight" class to be given the title of "Jedi Knight" within the Jedi Order. The prestige class simply represents a path of training that you character chooses to pursue or not. Most specifically, the Knight prestige class is largely focused in enhancing their lightsaber combat abilities.

Essentially, prestige classes are just another form of multiclassing, so you can move in and out of them freely. The mechanical consideration that distinguishes choice between "Jedi", "Jedi Knight" and "Jedi Master" comes down to whether you want more bonus feats (Jedi), more Force Techniques (Jedi Knight), or more Force Secrets (Jedi Master). Also, each class has a different selection of Talents to choose from, so you need to be aware of which Talents you want.

By making the choices so open and appealing, it helps keep every Jedi character from abandoning the Jedi class at Level 7, thus Jedi characters can be quite diverse.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, in the movies there are different levels of rank in the Jedi order. My understanding of them are as follows:

(rank low to high)

Youngling
    Padawan
    Knight
    Master
    Council Member

Now Younglings are the very little/young force sensitive children that are first discovered and brought to the Jedi Temple at Coruscant. It is said that all yougnlings are first trained by Master Yoda, however the "fact" that there are other Jedi Temples suggests that this is not always necessarily true.

A Youngling moves to the rank of Padawan when Yoda or the Council (not sure which) determines that the youngling has demonstrated enough proficiency in the Force that they can now take on more focused training with a single Master. It is not clear how a youngling is paired with their Master, some sources suggest that the pairing is decided by the council, others say it is chosen by the Master, either way, the youngling has now become a padawan when they have been paired with a master.

A Padawan gains the rank of Knight when they have constructed their own lightsaber, passed their trails, completed a mission by themselves, and most importantly their Master and the Council determines they are ready to become a knight. Through a ceremony as shown in the Clone Wars Micro Series the Council will knight a padawan when they are ready. The knight's responsabilites then shift to taking on missions for the Jedi Council and/or working with other Knights on missions.

A knight becomes a Master when the Council decides that the Knight has demonstrated a deeper understanding and proficiency with the Force. Usually this means the newly appointed Master takes on a padawan. In some cases a Knight will be given a padawan and while the padawan may refer to the Knight as Master and other Jedi may refer to the Knight as a Master also, technically the Knight is still a Knight. Also, when the Knight has completed their padawan's training and their Padawan becomes a Knight, the Knight will be officially made a Master.

A Master's duties seem to usually involve training padawans and/or otherwise serving the council as a Knight would.

I think a Master comes to sit on the Council only when there is an open spot on the Council and only if the rest of the Council determines the Master "wise" enough to sit on the Council. Never really figured all that out.

So, what does this mean for the game? Well, considering in Threats of the Galaxy the designers of the game have a Jedi Padawan statted as a level 5 Jedi we can only assume that your first 7 levels as a Jedi (remember that the Jedi class does not necessairly mean that one is a Jedi, a Jedi may also have levels in other classes). But the first 7 levels are crucial, only at level 7 and with the Weapon Proficiency (lightsabers) feat, a character may construct their own lightsaber. And we know that lightsaber construction is a crucial requirement for becoming a knight, so I think it is safe to assume that levels 1-7 you are considered a padawan.

Levels 8 - ? I think it is safe to assume that the padawan has become a Knight, regardless of whether they have actually gained levels in the Jedi Knight PrC.

Saga is very open-ended in regards to the class names not actually meaning what they mean. So you can have a Jedi 1/Noble 6/Crimelord 5 and still be a Jedi Knight.

Then eventually, if you take levels in Jedi Knight and subsequently Jedi Master, then I think it is safe to say that they Knight has become a Master.

Really a lot of it comes down to storytelling by the GM and what era the campaign is set. During eras when the Jedi Council is around, they seem to exert a lot more control over who has what titles. In eras where the Council is not present Force Sensitive individuals following the Jedi code seem to discover for themselves their ranking.

Take Luke for example, in Return of the Jedi he was going around touting that he was a Jedi Knight, while yeah he may have a level or 2 of the Knight PrC no one "officially gave him that title. When he returned to Dagobah, and said, "Then I am a Jedi." Yoda's response is not yet, he has one last trail, confront Vader and the Emperor, only then will he become a Jedi Knight, THAT was his final trail, and he passed, and then gained the actual rank of Knight.

For Future Jedi Master Luke, I think we can assume that he only grows stronger in the Force, and after training other Force Sensitive individuals that he has found, he begins to understand the Force on a deeper level, or in games terms, takes a Level of Jedi Master and thus gains Serenity, Fearless, and Force Secrets, etc... and thus, a Master. Not to mention at this point he has discovered some teachings of the Jedi and can piece together how the rank system should work, which is how he is able to create a training facility on Yavin.

Well, that was long winded, I hope it helps.
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

"It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the clarification guys. Makes sense what your saying. It was the background info and the fact you start out under the wing of a master that threw me off.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For the most part, the class names - including Prestige Classes - are just that: the name of the collected stats. In play, you may well have no levels in "Jedi" as a class, yet still be a Jedi - heck, ol' Luke Skywalker himself didn't have much "Jedi" experience til, well, Jedi. (Hmm, can I say "Jedi" again? yeesh )

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Tremayne
    Take Luke for example, in Return of the Jedi he was going around touting that he was a Jedi Knight, while yeah he may have a level or 2 of the Knight PrC no one "officially gave him that title. When he returned to Dagobah, and said, "Then I am a Jedi." Yoda's response is not yet, he has one last trail, confront Vader and the Emperor, only then will he become a Jedi Knight, THAT was his final trail, and he passed, and then gained the actual rank of Knight.
    This, right here. (Bah, I gotta read threads fully before replying, )

Although, Jedi was written before the prequels, so I'm not convinced Luke had any Jedi status other than what he claimed for himself; it's quite possible, at the time, it was a binary thing - either you are a Jedi, or you aren't, regardless of the amount of training one has. But that's neither here nor there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Viktor View Post
    Thanks for the clarification guys. Makes sense what your saying. It was the background info and the fact you start out under the wing of a master that threw me off.
    Starting a new SW game with a Jedi as a level 1 PC has always been problematic for me because they are supposed to have a master with them, which means you instantly have a high level NPC with the party at level 1.

I've never really quite pulled this off in any of my games.
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

"It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Tremayne View Post
    Starting a new SW game with a Jedi as a level 1 PC has always been problematic for me because they are supposed to have a master with them, which means you instantly have a high level NPC with the party at level 1.

I've never really quite pulled this off in any of my games.
    Any game set during the Clone Wars makes it a little easier to handle this. Their masters can easily be sent off to the front lines or on crucial missions that are deemed far too dangerous for padawans.

I used this technique when I began my current Saga campaign, and had the padawans (4 of them in the group) all assigned to a Jedi Service Corps. convoy which was under the command of a Jedi Knight. The Jedi Knight became sort of their "second master" as he was responsible to protect and guide them and continue their training while their masters were away. Having one higher level Jedi present wasn't so problematic. It actually let me throw a little more danger at the PCs without so much risk of killing them outright and it gave me a voice of reason to remind them when they were straying from the Jedi Code. Sadly, the Jedi Knight fell last session, leaving the padawans to now fend for themselves. Of course, events of the camapaign are now post-Order 66, so Jedi are becoming exceedingly difficult to find.
    Last edited by Webhead; 10-07-2008 at 10:40 AM.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My GM has a house rule were you can't take the class Jedi until lvl 5 or 6 it gets rid of this problem and makes it so we don't have to have high level NPCs or PCs in the group. It also adds a new dynamic, because if players want to be a Jedi they have to work towards it they can't just start as one. Every one in my group agrees that this is a good move on our Gm's part, because it makes for a more creative roleplaying experience.