Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indie RPG

Downloads
    Uploads

Indie RPG

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    check out this free game and tell me what you think.

http://www.randomordercreations.com/rpg.html
    I do not play them here or there, I do not play them anywhere, I do not play them with a fox. I do not mash that button box. I do not like MMO games. In the end ther're all the same.
    -Tesral

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jade von delioch View Post
    check out this free game and tell me what you think.

http://www.randomordercreations.com/rpg.html
    I'd check it out but it says that it costs $3.00. Not that i'm cheap, but i have so many rulesystems already, i find that i have no need to pay for another. So, this being said, i'd love to hear from others that choked up the bucks to share with us your opinions.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    The first one is the system, it is called "the Pool", this is free. the one that cost money is a setting- which also looks entrancing. But yes, i too have no money for that at the moment.
    I do not play them here or there, I do not play them anywhere, I do not play them with a fox. I do not mash that button box. I do not like MMO games. In the end ther're all the same.
    -Tesral

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The system is either going to be great, or suck depending on the players you have. Stimulationists = suck. Gamists = suck, Storytellers = great. The system is just shy of improv theater. It's too sketchy for my tastes.

Setting? A Furry Aurthur is still Aurthur. Have fun. I personally am Tired of Aurthur.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    The system is either going to be great, or suck depending on the players you have. Stimulationists = suck. Gamists = suck, Storytellers = great. The system is just shy of improv theater. It's too sketchy for my tastes.

Setting? A Furry Aurthur is still Aurthur. Have fun. I personally am Tired of Aurthur.
    Wow tesral. I wasnt aware you dealt in absolutes.
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoth-Amon View Post
    Wow tesral. I wasnt aware you dealt in absolutes.
    Put together your conclusions from the edges. I deal in edges a great deal. The truth is in the muddle. I read the system, took five minutes. There is nothing for the gamist/simulationist to grab, nothing. That is not a bad thing in and of itself, but I know several players that would be totally at sea with this system. With no crunch to grab,they would be lost. They love their crunch, wallow in it. Others would love the idea.

It's the kind of game that is going to take a certian kind of player to get into it, setting aside. "The Pool" system looks a little rough around the edges as well. I won't call it good or bad without at least trying it, and I would want someone familar with the system as a GM.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This could be argued with every game. Each and every game out there, including a few--which i admit too--dont see the appeal, does in fact, have its fan base. Where one sees nothing, others see greatness. Gotta respect that, so we're in agreement. Potaato-Potato
    Last edited by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon; 09-28-2008 at 10:37 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh, The Pool. I know The Pool. It's been forever and a day since I ever heard anyone discuss the game. *digs it out*

I've never run it but I did like the general construction of the system. Although, there was a very interesting variation that Mike Holmes had house-ruled for it called Anti-Pool in which, I think, added a little more balance to the flow of the game:

When making a roll, you can "risk" as many dice from your pool as you wish. If you succeed, those dice are spent and lost from you pool and you get to narrate the result. But, if your roll fails, the GM narrates, but you get the dice back, plus 1 extra die.

This way, characters that fail earlier in the story will be better able to take charge in following scenes, while characters who are more successful early on will end up having to take some licks later. It adds an element of resource management. Do you spend all your dice now or do you save them for later? This "back and forth" mechanic is very similar to an RPG called Pace which I am also very fond of and would love to run at some point (and was written by Fred Hicks of FATE/SotC fame).

Edit: I keep The Pool in my "Don't Leave Home Without It" RPG binder along with Pace, Risus, PDQ and Wushu. It's my indespensible toolkit of "anytime, anywhere, anything" RPG goodness. A catalog of RPGs for any occasion that can be learned and run in 5 minutes. Oh yeah, and they're all free!
    Last edited by Webhead; 09-28-2008 at 11:40 PM.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I do have to agree that the game is rough still- like the guy didn't playtest it enough, and that it is not to far from improve. And yes, it not for everyone.

I would have to have a better look at the setting to know whether or not it was bad or not, just because they make a connection to aurthur could only mean that it fantasy in my mind.

But on with the show, here is one that everyone should find interesting:
    http://www.greenfairygames.com/faenoir.html
    -Tesral

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ...But on with the show, here is one that everyone should find interesting:
    http://www.greenfairygames.com/faenoir.html
    Hmmm...very interesting game and setting. I've always been intrigued by the "Pulp" and "Noir" genres and Fae Noir sounds really neat. It's a bit pricey even for the PDF, but it I like the concept and even the system sounds interesting. Almost like "Shadowrun in the '20s".
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD

Downloads
    Uploads
    there is a quickstart for free download that can help give you a better idea
    -Tesral

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    there is a quickstart for free download that can help give you a better idea
    Yeah, I was taking a look at that. I found the damage mechanic rather interesting.

The game almost reminds me of Victoriana which was another very interesting game that I've never gotten to play. Victorian-era steampunk fantasy.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD

Downloads
    Uploads
    Victoriana is a good game. Very well put togather. I ran the 2nd edition quickstart a few months ago and we had a lot of fun with it. The game has a very good mechanic for magic in a modern setting. And its not too unlike shadowrun where you have to roll against a target number to perform an action and only need one success- but the more successes you have the better the effect. The way combat works takes some getting use to though. but its very realistic.
    -Tesral

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Victoriana is a good game. Very well put togather. I ran the 2nd edition quickstart a few months ago and we had a lot of fun with it. The game has a very good mechanic for magic in a modern setting. And its not too unlike shadowrun where you have to roll against a target number to perform an action and only need one success- but the more successes you have the better the effect. The way combat works takes some getting use to though. but its very realistic.
    I have the 1st edition of Victoriana which apparently differs system-wise a good bit from 2nd edition. 1st ed. didn't use a "success system" but rather a "3d6 plus modifiers against a Target Number, roll high". It used a modified version of the Fuzion system which was derived from Cyberpunk. It seemed pretty neat and I really liked the "Life Path" system it used. Do they have a "Life Path" system in 2nd ed?
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I like the open narration style, but I feel it is a little too free form. I don't feel the character progression allows you to really progress enough. And am I wrong or is there nothing in there about how you can earn more dice apply to your bonuses? All in all I feel like I would have more fun just sitting around a camp fire and having an open ended story that gets passed to the next person in line.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast