Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Finding Miniatures?
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Finding Miniatures?

Downloads
    Uploads

Finding Miniatures?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I'm looking for some miniatures of "common" folk, you know, villagers and whatnot and some medieval type castle guards. Preferably plastic and pre-painted because I have bad eye site and am easily frustrated by attempting such things, so it's best to just avoid it altogether. Anyone know of any websites where I might find such things cheaply? ooh and undead, plan on running a campaign (someday) part of which is titled the The Dead of Winter and I'll need some variety in my undead legions.

Thanks

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kirksmithicus View Post
    I'm looking for some miniatures of "common" folk, you know, villagers and whatnot and some medieval type castle guards. Preferably plastic and pre-painted because I have bad eye site and am easily frustrated by attempting such things, so it's best to just avoid it altogether. Anyone know of any websites where I might find such things cheaply? ooh and undead, plan on running a campaign (someday) part of which is titled the The Dead of Winter and I'll need some variety in my undead legions.

Thanks
    Plenty on Ebay. You can even buy them in bulk, or lots. That's where i pick up mine.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    http://www.reapermini.com/ Has a lot of townsfolk and undead in their Dark Heaven line. Their Legendary Encounters line has prepainted skeles.

http://stores.ebay.com/MegaMiniatures has everything you need in unpainted pewter. The quality of most of the sculpts are poor, but they are cheap. Many of the figures are old Heritage sculpts, so they have been kicking around since the '70s.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Does anyone know of any Reaper minis from the Exalted line? There were a good half dozen or more and I always intended to pick a few up. But a while back White Wolf had a mini painting contest and I just can't find any of them anymore aside from the occasional reference to "I painted one of these" in an online forum.

Any help finding obscure minis?
    Games: Exalted 2e pre-errata (hiatus), Recruiting for a Sci-Fi/Fantasy game (System TBD) in SF south bay area
    The Dolling Blogs (1, 2, 3 & 4)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MinipainterUS View Post
    http://www.reapermini.com/ Has a lot of townsfolk and undead in their Dark Heaven line. Their Legendary Encounters line has prepainted skeles.

http://stores.ebay.com/MegaMiniatures has everything you need in unpainted pewter. The quality of most of the sculpts are poor, but they are cheap. Many of the figures are old Heritage sculpts, so they have been kicking around since the '70s.
    MegaMinis looks like a great link. Thanks for posting it, I'll have to look around and see what I can spend my money on!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GoddessGood View Post
    Does anyone know of any Reaper minis from the Exalted line? There were a good half dozen or more and I always intended to pick a few up. But a while back White Wolf had a mini painting contest and I just can't find any of them anymore aside from the occasional reference to "I painted one of these" in an online forum.

Any help finding obscure minis?
    Miniature Giant carries all OOP Reaper minis. I've done a few conventions with these folks and they seem decent enough. http://www.miniature-giant.com/home.php I have never ordered from them as I get my stuff direct from Reaper.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks! I found three of them, got the last they had on one of them. Two are fighters, one a diplomat. Funny enough, both fighters use katar. I never knew there were so many in the series, but now I mourn for the loss of them as I surely would have bought more had I known.
    Games: Exalted 2e pre-errata (hiatus), Recruiting for a Sci-Fi/Fantasy game (System TBD) in SF south bay area
    The Dolling Blogs (1, 2, 3 & 4)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MinipainterUS View Post
    Miniature Giant carries all OOP Reaper minis. I've done a few conventions with these folks and they seem decent enough. http://www.miniature-giant.com/home.php I have never ordered from them as I get my stuff direct from Reaper.
    I tried to order a set of Reaper paints from them, got dicked around, then got dicked around some more when I tried to cancel. Took me over a month to get my money back.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mead View Post
    I tried to order a set of Reaper paints from them, got dicked around, then got dicked around some more when I tried to cancel. Took me over a month to get my money back.
    Sould have ordered them from me.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for all the links.

Today I found a "Tavern Brawler" promotional figure, from the release of the Inn-fighting game at one of the local used book stores for .50 cents, sweet.

Does anyone know if they released more than one figure for this?

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kirksmithicus View Post

Thanks
    Back when you first made your post, I would have suggested Heroscape figures for city guards. Especially their historical soldier figures (Roman legionaires, knights, Spartan soldiers, etc). Unfortunately that game has been discontinued. You can still find them on Ebay and Craigslist, and if you're really lucky in thrift stores.

Reaper has a wide selection of prepainted plastic minis, mostly monsters and adventurers. It'll take a while to gather a significant force of undead, as these figures usually are sold singularly or in packs of up to 3 figures. I've never seen any prepainted townsfolk from Reaper, but they do have unpainted pewter minis of farmers, shop keepers, harlots, angry mobs, etc.

You can always search Craigslist for previously owned painted minis. Sometimes people have bought large numbers of figures for gaming, spent hours painting them all, and then just gave up on their chosen game for whatever reason. So they sell it all off at a discount.

If you're willing to take some time and paint your own minis, a great cost effective solution is the True Legends figures that are available in most toy stores. There's a fantasy adventure set with elves, barbarians, orcs, wizards, etc. There's a knight set. And there's a pirate set, with pirates vs skeletons. Some of the Knights in the knight set can easily be used as town guards. And some of the pirates can be used as angry towns folk. Clearly the skeletons from the pirate set would add to your undead legions. The down side is that these figures are a bit bigger than your typical D&D mini. Size wise they're akin to the Heartbreaker brand of pewter minis that were available back in the 80's and early 90's. Which is to say, a little bigger than most gaming figurines. But as nameless, faceless pieces to put on the battlefield, they'll do nicely. They just need to be painted first.