Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: What is D&Di and game tables

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

What is D&Di and game tables

For two years now I have not played D&D Mainly becouse I have a full time job and raising my daughter on me oun. What is D&Di? Does this mean that I can play D&D at home online with a roleplaying feel? I've played D&D online and warcraft other videio games like that. I get board quick. they look great but that run around hackem up stuff gets beat after a while. I would like to find info on the D&D game table online, when will it be availiable? how much will it cost a month? how do you comunicate with players?If this turns out to be what I think is then it sounds awsome! instead of some run around hackem slashem game.
    Last edited by Histati; 09-09-2008 at 09:49 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The kind of D&D or any Role Playing Game that is played has a lot of depending factors. First off, you have the players. Do they just run around, attacking anything and everything that moves and loot the corpses or do you only draw your steel when it is the last resort. There is also the other person who is kinda sorta acting as the "God" of the world. Are they putting you in spots where the only way out is through killing or can it be resolved in a more peaceful manner?

One major difference between board games and RPGs is in board games, everyone is trying to become the one winner. In RPGs everyone is trying to help everyone out for you are a party and as a party you all win.
    Drink lad. Drink to the past and drink to the morrow's reckoning.
    Becoming a hero is simple. Do something dumb enough to be brave yet lucky enough to survive.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Histati View Post
    For two years now I have not played D&D Mainly becouse I have a full time job and raising my daughter on me oun. What is D&Di? Does this mean that I can play D&D at home online with a roleplaying feel? I've played D&D online and warcraft other videio games like that. I get board quick. they look great but that run around hackem up stuff gets beat after a while. I would like to find info on the D&D game table online, when will it be availiable? how much will it cost a month? how do you comunicate with players?If this turns out to be what I think is then it sounds awsome! instead of some run around hackem slashem game.
    D&Di = D&D Insider. It's a subscription-based program by Wizards of the Coast which is supposed to provide tools for DMs to run their games. I don't have the list (or access to their site right now) but it includes the Dragon and Dungeon magazines (in digital form) and the D&D game table.

The D&D Game Table is supposed to be a virtual map system which allows you to create dungeons and move around pieces online so that your players which are connected online can see it in real-time. It is supposed to do the rolls and stuff for you too. It should be great for groups that are spread out across the country or who simply can't get a time to get together in person.

It sounds like a great idea but to be honest it doesn't look like it will be executed properly. I believe they plan to charge for the virtual miniatures, which I think is very lame, and I don't think they will have enough content to make it worth the subscription fee. Last I heard they were planning to charge $15 a month for it, which is standard for MMORPGs, except with this the DM (who also does all the work in preparing the gameworld, which in MMOs is part of the service) is the one who pays the fee.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Histati : you should check this thread which explored different possibilities on this subject. All solutions aren't equal price wise... Some are free By the way many online campaigns are fishing for new players in the campaign subforum too.
    Au gibet noir, manchot aimable, dansent, dansent les paladins
    Les maigres paladins du diable les squelettes de Saladins.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Release date and price are still undecided. However, when D&Di goes online, it will include Dungeon and Dragon magazines in addition to GameTable access, so you're paying for two virtual magazine subscriptions as well as access to GameTable.

As DeathByDM said, GameTable isn't a MMOG, it's more like teleconferencing software for D&D. You still need players and a DM on the other end of the wires- there's no computer running the orcs.

I suspect communication will be by headsets, webcams, and typing, but I haven't seen a feature set yet.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You should also check out this video on G4 for more information on the Digital Table: http://www.g4tv.com/mmoreport/videos...D_Special.html
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    DnDi is the latest vaporware by WotC.
    "Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth." - JFK

"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."
    - Noam Chomsky