Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Ask a GM [09/02/08]: Magic as an Adventure-Breaker

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads
    Let me address one aspect of your very complicated questions -- How do you run a successful mystery in a game where the PCs have divination magic?

If you are running an investigative campaign, yes, you have to throw out the spell 'Find Murderer' or any spell/power that allows you to 100% reliably question a witness for guilt or innocence. That spell does not serve the purpose of fun. It makes the game boring. Just as giving the PCs a sword that kills with a single swing takes the challenge out of combat, these spells make investigation a pointless exercise. Establish the rules early and don't waver from them.

If you are running a campaign where investigation is a sideline then you have more flexibility. Disable the PCs divinatory powers for a session and force them to solve a mystery. In the city-state of Tyburn, magic and psionics not cast by official state wizards (i.e. the PCs) are disabled thanks to a powerful ancient artifact the city is built around. Or the law forbids the use of magic and a local sheriff is with you or more less the whole time. Result -- no magic. For this session.

Many systems also make the brainy wizards skill mongers. They are chock full of arcane information. To keep the magic-deprived wizards from being useless, make their skills important for a change. "The Banethistle root soaked in whiskey -- why that forms a potent poison!"

Adding the mystery back to a world with ESP, detect thoughts, and zone of truth can be challenging. But even R.E. Howard in his Conan saga paused the sword and sorcery action for a single story ('The God in the Bowl') to have his steely-eyed Cimmerian solve a murder.

Gary

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Without being familiar with the GURPS system, the problem could be as simple as the encounters are not strong enough for the PC's levels and abilities. You may need to strengthen the encounter either with more npc's or just make the ones you have, stronger. Also, usually there are limitations to any given spell or ability. Perhaps they are being used in an over generous way.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Perhaps it's bad form to reply to your own question, but ...

I think there are multiple questions tangled up in this one:

• How do you keep minmaxers using the GURPS (3rd Edition) default magic system from running roughshod over your adventures? (The least interesting to me, since I probably won't use GURPS Magic again.)
    • How do you keep adventures interesting when your PCs have telepathy, precognition, teleportation, "Detect Evil", or similar abilities?
    • How can you block PC's supernatural powers as the plot demands without making those powers useless? Is that even fair?
    • Will players accept an RPG where they have restricted or no access to magic/psi/superpowers, but other beings in the world do? How do you keep the GM from running roughshod over the PCs?

BTW, one non-magical way to defeat telepathy is to keep the muscle ignorant of their leaders; they only get orders from a "man in the shadows". "Triad gangs", in which each member knows only two others, would be an excellent natural defense against telepathy, seeing how it was originally designed to guard against a member talking under torture, or an enemy infiltrating the ranks.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The GM can't out think the players every time, or come up with every possible idea they might have (and resulting counters and solutions) before the players spring them on you at the table.

This question is a fancy way of asking the tried and tested "My players just went for the blank part of the map after I prepared for six months! What now???"

If the players use their abilities and skills to totally bypass something you have set up; my advice is to let them. That's the point of being a hero -- finding the solution nobody else could. Reward them for it and move on.

...but have the bad guys learn their lessons too! That way it's not repeated time and time again.

If it's a huge game breaker that totally invalidates the game you are playing, a different tactic is called for. Honesty.

Just tell them that the actions they are having their characters do pretty much kills the entire campaign and see if they are interested in roleplaying it differently. The actual goal of a game with friends is to have a good time over the course of game play sessions; and the players ending a six month campaign in six minutes because they totally out thought your masterful plots does not serve that goal.

Just say "Hey, you know what? I never saw that coming, and it pretty much kills the campaign as I have developed it. The way I see it we have two choices here: We can have it happen and I'm going to need a few weeks (months, whatever) to get ready for another campaign; or we can back up time a little bit and have your characters do something else to explore what I was ready for. I know that's not totally graceful, but it's better than no gaming for a few weeks right?"

Even as I typed it that goes over flat; but it is honest and can't hurt. Have the players role play that their characters wouldn't think it up and it never happened.

Then, after they go home, retool the ending and path to it so it's a surprise the second time around. ;P
    --
    Grimwell

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by grimwell View Post
    If it's a huge game breaker that totally invalidates the game you are playing, a different tactic is called for. Honesty.
    This happened to the GM of a Champions game in college. Said GM introduced pretty much every technology he came across in comics or science fiction, and two of his players figured out a way to stop his interdimensional campaign cold by creating impenetrable barriers between dimensions. (I can't remember the details; it was a long time ago, and I came into the campaign late.) The frustrating bit is that they did this outside a game session; they just called the GM up, and he ruled that it worked automatically. He simply stopped the campaign.

This, and my own experience, leads me to believe that GM control is a key part of making magic work. The GM has to be clear on what magic, superpowers, or advanced technology can do ... or else he has to build in loopholes: magic is inherently wild, and a sufficiently advanced technology has unknown dangers and limitations.

Sometimes the players will catch the GM flatfooted, even within the limits of "known actions": in a recent Spirit of the Century game, a player short-circuited a huge battle by sacrificing his character to blow up the villain's lair. But I suspect magic (including quasi-magical powers and sufficiently advanced technology) can give a clever player more weapons to kill fun.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fmitchell View Post
    • How do you keep adventures interesting when your PCs have telepathy, precognition, teleportation, "Detect Evil", or similar abilities?
    • How can you block PC's supernatural powers as the plot demands without making those powers useless? Is that even fair?
    Well maybe the idea is to shift the type of story you're telling there. At first you designed it as a mystery. But if the player figure that part very fast you could move on to the "Cassandra" new development of the story : the PCs are 100% sure who's the criminal mastermind, now how do they convince local authority/population that something is rotten in Danemark ? All these magic spells/psionic abilities are nice, but it's still the PCs words against the bad guys reputation...

Sometimes the players will catch the GM flatfooted, even within the limits of "known actions": in a recent Spirit of the Century game, a player short-circuited a huge battle by sacrificing his character to blow up the villain's lair.
    If it's not done in a cheap "I don't care about this character anyway" kind of way, I'd love players to think along those lines. What makes of a more heroic story than when a main character sacrifices to save the day ?
    Au gibet noir, manchot aimable, dansent, dansent les paladins
    Les maigres paladins du diable les squelettes de Saladins.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Perhaps it's bad form to reply to your own question, but ...

I think there are multiple questions tangled up in this one:

• How do you keep minmaxers using the GURPS (3rd Edition) default magic system from running roughshod over your adventures? (The least interesting to me, since I probably won't use GURPS Magic again.)
    • Will players accept an RPG where they have restricted or no access to magic/psi/superpowers, but other beings in the world do? How do you keep the GM from running roughshod over the PCs?

BTW, one non-magical way to defeat telepathy is to keep the muscle ignorant of their leaders; they only get orders from a "man in the shadows". "Triad gangs", in which each member knows only two others, would be an excellent natural defense against telepathy, seeing how it was originally designed to guard against a member talking under torture, or an enemy infiltrating the ranks.
    Not bad form - it shows that at least one person is willing to respond!

How do you keep adventures interesting . . . ? The Complete Arcane touches on this. It also ties into our conversations on scaling and high-level encounters. Some simple solutions are to know your players, don't play at character levels you can't handle ("Hey everyone, let's start our characters at level 19!"), and empathize with your villains. Walls, secrets, and traps generally don't challenge high-level characters, so you'll do yourself a favor to get out of the low-level mindset.

How do you block powers? Don't, you'll piss players off. But do realize that there are supernatural counter-powers, and bad guys who use them.

How do you keep from running roughshod? Don't make arbitrary rules, and act out the villain roles, not the Evil God role. The villains have a chance to defeat the PCs' efforts; the Evil God is guaranteed to defeat them.