Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 47

Thread: Catechism of Konigsdottir: Chapter the First: Proverbial Estuarys

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Acton
    Posts
    531
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    "Bounds of a Lady"

    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    "I will certainly learn what is required so that I can make the decision. I'll warn you, though: My own people do not consider me ladylike! In any case, tell me what you mean by 'bounds of a Lady'."

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,228
    Blog Entries
    43
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    "We will, gladly, but the crew must return to their stations, lest Wave's Foam be displeased with us. Your word of your willingness to learn is sufficient for now. If you will excuse me momentarily, I will return quickly once all is in order, and then we may begin?" San-ji inclines his head briefly towards you. "Thank you."
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Acton
    Posts
    531
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Rilde's response

    "I will wait. Then let me learn." She waits for the others to return, so she can learn more about this situation.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,228
    Blog Entries
    43
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    You are left alone in the cabin for a time....
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Acton
    Posts
    531
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Rilde gets bored

    and continues her exercises. If they don't return within 45 minutes or so, she decides to walk out and see more of Wave's Foam.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,228
    Blog Entries
    43
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    After a long while (but before she decides to wander out), San-ji returns carrying a scroll, and with him is another older goblinoid. After a moment you place him as one of the faces around the table. The scroll also momentarily catches your eye, it seems to have an odd glitter to it, which fades even as you look, making you wonder if you saw anything at all.

    San-ji and the other go to the head of the table, and with a courteous gesture, indicate that they wish for you to sit first.

    San-ji and the other study you for a bit, and then he speaks, "This is Rann-po. We do not always see eye to eye," a significant glance is exchanged between them, "but his honor and integrity is widely known to be irreproachable. We would like you to tell us honestly about yourself and your life. This will permit us to understand how closely you come to the honorable post of Lady aboard the Wave's Foam."

    Rann-po hmmpfs. "Or how distantly."
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Acton
    Posts
    531
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Rilde's explanation of her presence

    Rilde has nothing to hide. She begins by describing how she came here, saying frankly that she has no idea what brought her here. She then backtracks to give a reasonable summary of her life. Her description places a heavy emphasis upon the valor and warlike deeds of her people, herself, and Kord--probably more than she means to. She hides nothing, feeling that there's nothing to hide.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,228
    Blog Entries
    43
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    They listen intently and politely. They glance at each other every now and again... after a while you pick up on that it tends to be when you are speaking of the valor and warlike deeds. There is some silence after you finally wind down. They exchange a long look, both wearing an inscrutable expression. San-ji finally speaks, "A proud and valiant people, and you a warrior-daughter in deed." He bows his head in your direction as he says this, though he does not quite meet your eyes.

    Rann-po glances at him and then unexpectedly bursts out laughing. "Not quite the lady you were hoping for, eh, San-ji?!" He chuckles at the slight discomfited expression that crosses San-ji's face. "But, and I hate to say this, if you stop and think about it, she is almost the epitome of the ancient ways, before these newer thoughts on the traditions took hold. Your proposing of her for Ship's Lady may be one of your most cunning insights ever."

    San-ji has an arrested expression which becomes one of deep thought. "Indeed... she is at that. I am forced to admit... that you are right." This wins another guffaw of laughter from Rann-po, who then continues, "We all know about your hopes, and though I cannot agree with the recent changes in tradition, I do find great amusement in watching you stumble about in a haze of as yet unrequited hope. It may be that trying this delightful young warrior on Wave's Foam will show you the errors of your convictions. I change my mind, I will give this venture my support."

    "Hopes... oh my, I hadn't thought of that..." muses San-ji. "But we must be confusing our guest, my apologies, Rilde Konigsdottir, for speaking of so many things of which you know not. Please ask, and I shall try to clarify."
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Acton
    Posts
    531
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Rilde's response, continued

    "What is it about my story? I gather that valor and warlike deeds are not valued so highly here? What were you hoping for?

    You're implying I may be what you need rather than what you expect. Explain further."

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,228
    Blog Entries
    43
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    "How best to explain... perhaps a bit of history. I shall keep it brief in the interest of swift comprehension.

    In ancient times, our people prized valor and heroic deeds highly. But the deeds performed were barbaric savagery against those of other races, and many times those deeds were won by piracy, or brutal conquest. Then came a prophetess, who tried to show us another way. A way where valor and honor could be won, and yet the lives of those we once preyed upon could be spared.

    Alas, the people were most set in their ways, and would not listen. As more and more people began to follow her teachings, the Great Dread, who was the leader and exemplar of those times and ways, became uneasy and set his four greatest lieutenants the task of slaying her.

    Yet she herself was a warrior of incredible prowess. An epic battle ensued, said to have lasted an entire day, and well into a moonlit night. She fought the four valiantly, yet would not strike a disabling blow, nor take advantage of weakness, nor take the life of any of the four. In the end... she gave her life up defending that way, facing her foes, to weak to lift her weapon any more, yet standing tall and proud, unbent.

    When the four saw her fall, and were smitten with shame and guilt. They renounced their honor, their names, and their weapons and vowed to forevermore defend and teach her way of life.... They became the Four Scholars, and through their efforts, the rule of the Great Dread was overthrown, and the Dread himself was sent away into the night, with the few remaining followers, never to be seen again.

    Ever since that time, our people have followed the teachings of the Great Lady and the Four Scholars, and modeled our civilization upon those teachings. Recently however, within perhaps the last few generations, there has been a small shift away...
    " here Rann-po coughs loudly, "...shift away from the ancient ways. We have been at peace for many generations now, and become prosperous through trade and competition. Some of our people feel that it would be more in keeping with the spirit of the teachings to give up the warlike traditions that accompany them.

    Indeed many have done so, and the Ship's Lady has become more of an example of proper manners and grace and beauty, among many of the other good things that are taught in the writings of the Lady and the Four Scholars. And in fact, there is one such Ship's Lady, who is soon to retire...
    " San-ji trails off into some sort of reverie.

    Rann-po clears his throat, chuckles, and says, "He has hopes that she might choose him, " with a saucy wink. "In any case, you seem quite the fit for the older ways, though I can't recall ever having heard of any of your kind that were adept upon the waters, or indeed of any great numbers ever since the Scourging. Though we mostly ply the profitable lanes of the Surrounded Sea, and have never far-travelled."

    San-ji snaps out of it, and you see a dusky hue spread across his cheeks... a blush. "Quite so, quite so. The end of the story is that though we have been profitable, that we have never been selected to be blessed with the grace and presence of a Ship's Lady. Well... that is to say, that none have found... er, what I mean is that there have been some, potential... or rather, not... " San-ji trails off after a few aborted attempts to finish his sentence.

    Rann-po elbows him jovially. "She didn't like them, any of them, and didn't I say she wouldn't!" San-ji rolls his eyes, but then heaves a sigh.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Acton
    Posts
    531
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Rilde's response: confusion

    "I am confused. You speak of the Great Lady renouncing violence " {she can't help but look slightly taken aback and perhaps disagreeing with this idea} " and the Four Scholars following her example. If you're following their example, then presumably you gave up violence a long time ago. So why do you speak of a shift away from warlike traditions only in recent years? If you're following ways of peace, then what warlike traditions remain? I assume the Ship's Lady is one of them.

    "I take it that you, Rann-po " {looks at him} " are more traditional, balancing warlike traditions with peace, while you, Sann-ji " {looks at him} " follow newer traditions. And you have somehow chosen candidates for a Ship's Lady, and your ship has somehow indicated her refusal of them.

    "So you think I may be a Ship's Lady. I think I would be honored, but what does acceptance involve? What would be my responsibilities? What glorious duties of war would I carry out?"

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,228
    Blog Entries
    43
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    They both chuckle, San-ji somewhat embarrassedly, Ran-po heartily. The latter speaks, "No, not a renouncing of violence. She fought valiantly, remember. Her way was a way of honor, to not strike down a helpless foe, to not seek a life when another way might satisfy both honor and valor; but still preserve the lives of both, to not take advantage of weakness.

    "Nor did the Scholars give up violence, though they did give up their weapons. The Great Dread was not overthrown without much fighting, after all. The Scholars found another way too, just as the Lady had shown them that the old way was not the only way. They discovered ways of fighting without weapons. That combined with the teachings they shared gathered people in great droves. The more people who converted to this new way, the less people the Great Dread had in his armies.

    "I think perhaps that the most important thing she taught us was that if honor seems to demand the life of another in order to be satisfied, it is no longer honor, but a pride which if followed will inevitably lead into evil."

    In the brief silence that follows, San-ji speaks, "That teaching preserved the lives of our peoples, our culture. Before we would war against each other because our various peoples are slightly different, or against others for plunder and spoils and slaves. But by respecting the lives of each other, and eventually those of other races, we found that we could still win honor and valor in combat, but preserve the lives of those we fought.

    "Today our peoples have become successful merchants instead of pirates, guardians of others instead of killers, competitors with other nations instead of enemies. The Great Arena has become a popular venue of trade with many of the nations with whom we trade, and also permits us to win honor and valor without death or destruction.

    "Other than competition between tribes and companies and other nations, we have been at peace for several decades now. Some no longer see the traditional ways as necessary, except perhaps among certain individuals who participate in the Great Arena.

    "Also... when a Ship's Lady retires, she chooses from among the available Helmsmen. There are few honors greater than being chosen by a Ship's Lady. I think, she fancies me... I hope."

    "Only problem is, she's of this newfangled way of thinking," Ran-po breaks in. "And thus might not be well disposed towards a more traditionally minded Helmsman. We are a successful crew, with Wave's Foam's blessing. Despite lacking a Ship's Lady, we have done well... so far. But it is only a matter of time."

    San-ji recovers from his revere. "As far as duties go, a Ship's Lady speaks the will of her Ship. She leads the crew, she is a guide to and teacher of the Way, and she protects the crew."

    "And she leads the crew in battle, rare as that may be these days," interjects Ran-po.

    San-ji sighs, "Yes, that too."
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Acton
    Posts
    531
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Rilde is willing to be the Lady of the Ship

    {ooc: Edited because they repeatedly mentioned the ship's name; I managed to miss it somehow.--midnight42}

    "I think I have overemphasized warfare. Yes, we find honor and glory in combat, but I would agree that slaying another does not in and of itself bring honor. It's the honorable conflict and striding of strength that brings honor, not killing in itself. Killing someone merely to satisfy honor defeats the point; honor is gained because one faces a worthy opponent, not because you kill one whom you feel has insulted you.

    "I would be honored to be your Ship's Lady, if Wave's Foam will have me, but I must admit honestly that your people are strangers to me. I don't know your ways. If I do agree to lead you, it is very important that you inform me of your ways, so I don't cause insult or embarass someone unnecessarily. Still, if your Ship will have me, I accept.

    "A few last questions. What is my relationship to the captain? Am I the captain if I become Ship's Lady? If not, which of us has authority in which circumstances? I will warn you that my life has been one of independence, not leadership, but I can and will do my best for you and the worthy Wave's Foam."
    Last edited by Midnight; 10-27-2009 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Hadn't noticed ship's name (Wave's Foam) before

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,228
    Blog Entries
    43
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    You see pleased expressions as you speak, both of which suddenly turn surprised, for a brief moment towards the end of your comments. The two look at each other, then grin, united in some similar thought. The turn to look at you, giving you the sudden impression of two boys eager to show someone the creepy-crawly something they just caught, despite their age. They rise and approach you.

    "Of course, you will be given access to the Writings in order to study."
    "And we will help teach you and guide you directly."
    "It is truly said that seldom will one forget a lesson learned by experience."
    "But you'll do fine, just trust Wave's Foam."
    "We'd best not keep her waiting, she's been feisty lately."

    During this spate of words, you are skillfully and politely guided out of the room and into the hallway. You end up with one of them on each side of you, directly facing the wall opposite. You blink suddenly as the wall in front of you seems oddly distant for a brief moment. There is something about the pattern on the wall...

    {{{please make a will save?}}}

    In your moment of distraction, you hear, as if distantly, Ran-po say, "Should I warn the crew?" And San-ji reply, "Yes, please. I expect this to be much different from last time, however, but it is still wise to take precautions." Ran-po dashes off.

    There really is something strange about the wall panels directly in front of you....
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Acton
    Posts
    531
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Rilde's Will save

    * Rilde's Will save *

    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    11-22-2009 11:48 PM
    Rilde's Will save: 1d20 (11) + 7 (7) = 18

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [DM / Player Tools] Chapter One Cultures
    By tesral in forum Campaign Resources
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-01-2008, 02:39 PM
  2. [DM / Player Tools] Chapter Six -- Money and Equipment
    By tesral in forum Campaign Resources
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-22-2008, 11:27 PM
  3. [DM / Player Tools] Chapter Four -- Character Classes
    By tesral in forum Campaign Resources
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-15-2008, 11:07 AM
  4. [White Wolf] New Chapter in the V:TES Story
    By PnP News Bot in forum News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-18-2007, 05:43 PM
  5. [D&D] Xen’drik Expeditions: Chapter 2: Conflict
    By PnP News Bot in forum News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-24-2007, 12:44 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •