Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: "Ghosts & Time" Call of Cthulhu play-by-post

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb "Ghosts & Time" Call of Cthulhu play-by-post

Looking for one or two new players for an online Call of Cthulhu game, "Ghosts and Time". It is a slow-paced game for players with variable or restricted schedules. Check out the post in Campaign Invitations at http://www.penandpapergames.com/foru...ead.php?t=8840.

peace,
    Danny

This game has been chugging along slowly for about four months now. Currently, I am looking for one or two more players, at least one of which should be interested in playing a character at or around the Institut for Sexualwissenschaft in Berlin (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institu...alwissenschaft for historical notes).

As of now, there are two continuities in the game. The continuities have so far been separate but are very close to joining with one another. One continuity takes place in the Sindh region of India (contemporary Pakistan) under British rule at the site of the ancient city of Mohenjo-Daro. The other takes place in Manhhattan. The year is 1924. You can view the existing continuities at ghostsandtimeindia1924.blogspot.com and ghostsandtimemanhattan1924.blogspot.com respectively.
    Last edited by gordianphock; 01-28-2009 at 08:09 AM. Reason: looking for 1-2 new players

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    How much knowledge on said game would you require for first time CoC pbp players?

I have zero experience with this particular rpg but always wanted to play.

Thoth-Amon

Downloads
    Uploads

no xp at all

I always say that the less experience you have in Call of Cthulhu, the better!

As long as you're experienced enough with rpgs that you know what a character sheet is - or as long as you're teachable - and you're willing to engage in a slow-paced, text-centered game, then you're invited to try it out.

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Will i need to pick up a players manual, or is it easy enough where just good common sense may/will prevail? I've been playing rpgs since the '70's, but have never even picked up a rulebook on CoC. I'm just very interested due to all the great reviews ive read over the years.

Thoth-Amon

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't think you need to pick up any books. I plan on handling all the mechanical aspects of the game myself.

The idea (and this is one of the experimental parts) is to allow players to narrate their character's life in blog posts - as if writing a story - and for (at first) me and (later) other players to come in and interrupt that story with their own narratives, etc. So, it's really gonna be rules-lite - more like a call-and-response story-writing exercise than a tabletop game. I think that's a fair characterization.

But of course, you'll need to get a sense of how the rules actually work . . .

So, what you should do, I think, is go to the

https://sites.google.com/site/antimastery

website, and make sure you're down with the general concept that I'm laying out. Especially check out the "Information for Keepers and Players", "Guidance for Character Creation", and "To Begin Play" sections.

If all that looks good, drop me a line on my gmail account (gordianphock@gmail.com) and we'll go into more depth about the rules themselves, and we can talk character concepts, too. It's actually a super-easy rules system. The skills are percentile based, combat is percentile based. There's hit points and stats ala old skool D&D. And there's a wonderful little thing called sanity loss. You'll get your head around it quickly, I promise.

It's also kind of broken - as in the rules are clunky. But that's why I love it - cuz, there's so much room for narrative play.

Looking forward to getting in touch.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For players new to the game, I found this "quickstart" rules set published by Chaosium.

http://www.chaosium.com/forms/coc_quick_start_color.pdf

So there y'all go - the rules.

It's actually a very nice introduction to the game.

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    How many times a week do we participate? Is this a daily participation game? I've never played pbp before and want to make sure my schedule allows my participation.

At this point though, it looks like may be playing. I'll email you when i can confirm.

Thoth-Amon

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good to hear it, Thoth-Amon! - I'll be incommunicado until Sunday evening, but go right ahead and e-mail me.

StarWolf013,
    Happy to have caught your eye. If you'd like to play, please give the website a thorough look-over and get in touch with me at my gmail address.

Iron Messiah,
    If you're looking at this post: Hey man! I'll get in touch with you soon, and don't worry about chat rooms - this game will be conducted exclusively over blogs and websites. No IMs, no chat rooms.

To everyone:
    Lots of folks want to play 1920s era characters. Since it is CoC, that's only natural. But this game will have some time-travel-like phenomena - so let me encourage you to consider playing characters from the Old West, the American colonial South, the British Raj in India, or some other era/setting combination.

Downloads
    Uploads

Count me in

I think I'll aim to play an Old West character on this. Sounds like fun - I'll look into more of the details over the next couple of days to make sure that I get things laid out properly.

Downloads
    Uploads
    sorry Thoth-Amon, forgot to answer your question in the last post reply.

There will be no required posts per week, because many of the players and myself will have variable schedules. Since PCs will initially be in isolated continuities, pacing will be set by the players. Obviously players who do not post/comment will get left behind - not-posting also offers other players little incentive to contact you, so there's that. Posting too much might also make it difficult for other players to keep up with you, and won't serve much purpose.

Thanks for sending the e-mail addy. You'll be receiving a notice shortly!

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ive emailed you so count me in. This looks to be fun.

Thoth-Amon

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Btw, i gave your pbp game a gaming plug: http://www.penandpapergames.com/foru...6171#post46171

This looks to be great,

Thoth-Amon

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile

Thanks for PM'ing me. I'd also be intersted, and have begun playing with the character sheet and its directions I found online (from a link on the Ghosts & time site--I don't remember the exact name).

Looking forward to playing with y'all!

Nancy

Downloads
    Uploads
    Excellent!

I am happy to announce that my game can handle no more players beyond those who have already responded to my survey e-mail that I sent out last Friday.

Cheers, and thank you all for checking Ghosts & Time out!

- Danny