Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: OOC Discussion

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    True, I didn't think that by keeping the narrative path open to your direct influence would be so intimidating, but I suppose it does trip up the more conventional notion of the GM "hook, line and sinker" style of plot progression. Wushu demands a little more from the players in terms of driving things forward, but it does so by encouraging them to take a more active role in the direction that the game takes. Wushu players have to be a little more proactive than in more traditional RPGs.

Essentially, I was giving the players the scenario and then letting you draw your own conclusions about where you feel you need to go and how you need to go about it. In an effort to hopefully clear back some of the fog of apprehension, perhaps I'll enumerate the major elements that we know are taking place at this moment:

* The beachhead has been subdued and Commander Lao and a handful of his troops captured.

* According to Lao's orders to the scout leader, the Earth Kingdom prisoners were taken to a camp that is somewhere inland, within the forest to the east.

* The Commander mentioned that a fleet of Fire Nation ships was advancing on the Earth Kingdom city of Taku, which is a few days ride south along the coast (faster by ship). The Earth Kingdom is known for its ability to endure hardship and is thus likely to be able to hold their own against Fire Nation invaders, but there is no telling the exact size of the approaching fleet.

* The Commander also mentioned that the ships that departed to the west are on their way to the Western Air Temple, presumably with ill intent and should reach their shores by nightfall (it is currently approaching dusk). As a spiritual and peace-loving people, it is known that the Air Nomads have no standing army, though the Air Temples are rumored to be unreachable except by airbenders and sky bison. How the Fire Nation plans to reach the temple itself is unknown.

* The second Water Tribe ship is on its return trip home to warn of the Fire Nation's advance and likely send scout ships to check on the fate of the ship that was left behind.

I hope that helps to give some ideas. This is Wushu! Be bold and don't be afraid to add the kinds of narrative and story direction that you want to see happen in the game. It takes some getting used to, but I think once you "get" it, you'll feel liberated and energized.

As always, if you need some advice, guidance or examples, let me know.
    Last edited by Webhead; 11-14-2008 at 10:52 AM.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good, good, good. I completely agree with the pro-active player stance and the claim for players responsibility. I'm very glad for the summary of the general events though, it's easier to wrap my mind around these bullet points than to peruse the whole Day of the Comet thread

I'm ready to push the story in a direction that I would enjoy. No problem. Still I'd rather be explicit and discuss OOC what my preference is so Muslix and you could say "hey wait ! I really don't care for your choice, I don't want to go to the Air Temple part of the plot, I'd rather go and defend Taku city !" So IMHO it's not bad that we discuss it a bit before hand.

My preference in term of where the next action should be is the forest to the East and the prisoner camp.

Pros :

• it should be the closest hot spot to where we are
    • people of the village should be keen on joining us because it concerns people they care for
    • there is an obvious benefit if we overcome the Fire forces there : the prisoners

cons :

• strategically it's probably not the most important part of the Fire Nation action plan
    • we get away from the sea and it might take a bit long to reach other hot spots from there

So Muslix what's your opinion ? What type of confrontations/challenges are you looking for ?

PS : I'm looking for inserting Musashi's divination skill inside the narrative so much, it looks like the right moment to do just that

Edit : oh and another thing I'm looking for is to take Commander Lao with us and develop a sub-plot between him and us. I'd very much like to see the guy evolve from "utterly lawful to his Nation" to "I have doubts" in a Stockholm syndrome type of way, that would be neat.
    Last edited by boulet; 11-14-2008 at 12:23 PM.
    Au gibet noir, manchot aimable, dansent, dansent les paladins
    Les maigres paladins du diable les squelettes de Saladins.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by boulet View Post
    ...I'm ready to push the story in a direction that I would enjoy. No problem. Still I'd rather be explicit and discuss OOC what my preference is so Muslix and you could say "hey wait ! I really don't care for your choice, I don't want to go to the Air Temple part of the plot, I'd rather go and defend Taku city !" So IMHO it's not bad that we discuss it a bit before hand...
    Absolutely! I think using the OOC forum as a sounding board for exactly this kind of thing is a fantastic idea. I hadn't really thought about it that way, but I owe you many thanks for bring this notion to the forefront. I look forward to this!

...PS : I'm looking for inserting Musashi's divination skill inside the narrative so much, it looks like the right moment to do just that ...
    Very cool!

Edit : oh and another thing I'm looking for is to take Commander Lao with us and develop a sub-plot between him and us. I'd very much like to see the guy evolve from "utterly lawful to his Nation" to "I have doubts" in a Stockholm syndrome type of way, that would be neat.
    Also an excellent idea. Yes, please tell me about ideas like this regarding possibilities you see for the future of the game.

This whole discussion has me very excited!
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456