Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Campaign

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

New Campaign

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    i am about to begin a new campaign. my first. just go the KOTOR campaign guide.

Any ideas of where to start or what to do?

Help me, P&PG guys, you're my only hope!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the first major step is to decide which "angle" you're going to play the campaign.

Do you want to focus on running a Jedi campaign? A Sith campaign? Do you want to run Republic loyalists or do you want to run adventures for a group of fringers, smugglers and pirates who live from job to illegitimate job?

Do you want to focus on exploration of new regions, worlds and cultures, or do you want things to be more centered on the well-known and developed core worlds of the Republic?

There's plenty of ideas, so what you need to decide on is what direction to focus your game. Once you've come up with your basic "theme", then we can help you come up with interesting ideas about the kinds of stories you can weave.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    I think the first major step is to decide which "angle" you're going to play the campaign.

Do you want to focus on running a Jedi campaign? A Sith campaign? Do you want to run Republic loyalists or do you want to run adventures for a group of fringers, smugglers and pirates who live from job to illegitimate job?

Do you want to focus on exploration of new regions, worlds and cultures, or do you want things to be more centered on the well-known and developed core worlds of the Republic?

There's plenty of ideas, so what you need to decide on is what direction to focus your game. Once you've come up with your basic "theme", then we can help you come up with interesting ideas about the kinds of stories you can weave.
    WOW!!! thats alot going into my head. I will have to pour over that for a bit. but i will let you know what i decide tomorrow. thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    It depends?

What things do YOU like about Star Wars? As a GM it is usually pretty easy to put these things into a game so that you get some pleasure out of it also. Doesn't need to be first on the list though.

Will you have ALL new players to the game? If yes, then I suggest letting them be whatever their minds can dream up. This way you everyone is happy. If no, then I suggest some of those things Webhead suggested, an all Jedi game, and all evil game, an all Sith game, an all fringer game? It can be easier for veterans to let go of character control a bit more than newer players and create characters based around a group concept. Or whatever works!

At the same time you need to decide on an era. KotOR is good. But unless all of your players in the group have played all the way through the video games or read the comics I suggest starting with something simple, the Rebellion era.

Rebellion era games are easy, you have good guys and bad guys. Things are black and white simple and easier for the PCs to get into it because they can visualize the movies and easier on the GM because you have a lot of the descriptions spelled out for you. You don't need to describe a Stormtrooper but you might need to describe a Sith Trooper!

After that you can start filling in the details.

Also, the only non-Saga edition book that I recommend to everyone especially GMs is the RCR Galactic Campaign Guide. This book has everything a GM could ever want for in a SW GMs book. I STILL use mine REGULARLY at the game table during our Saga game. It is the best RPG purchase I have made! Well, except for Saga edition of course!
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

"It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Tremayne's advice is good. If your players are all pretty new to Star Wars RPGs, I would probably let them play whatever they wanted to (as long as it won't create obvious party conflict, like having a Jedi and Sith in the same party). This way, as Tremayne says, they can explore their favorite part of Star Wars freely.

The Rebellion era is also a great starting point for those who haven't really played a Star Wars game before. There is a clear and present enemy (the Empire) and the players know what to expect. Plus, players get to blast stormtroopers and that's always fun.

That said, it's ultimately your decision on how to put your game together. Do what you think will be the most fun for you and your players. We'll help however we can, but nothing beats talking to your players.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes all my players are new to the game.

I think that i am going to use the Old Republic Era. It's just so untouched i guess. i don't want anyone quoting the movies because they know what is going on in other parts of the universe.

Ok now that i have picked an era any ideas of where to start?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thriondel Half-Elven View Post

I think that i am going to use the Old Republic Era. It's just so untouched i guess. i don't want anyone quoting the movies because they know what is going on in other parts of the universe.

Perhaps first, get your players together and ask them what kinds of characters they would like to play. Tell them that you are going to be running a campaign in the Old Republic era, but otherwise leave it vague and see what kinds of ideas they come up with. If anyone seems to be stuck and not sure what to do, brainstorm with them and toss ideas out there. Perhaps show them the different alien species and give some ideas about the different classes and what they all can do. If you have all your players together in a group, they can all feed ideas to each other and that should make your job easier.

Come up with a solid idea of the kinds of characters that will be in your party and then you can start to work on the campaign itself and figure out where the characters will begin their story and what kinds of things are going to happen to them along the way.

I'm a proponent of building your adventures with your players in mind, that way you can take advantage of your group's strengths and weaknesses and really make the game feel like it is customized especially for them.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD

Downloads
    Uploads

That is a really good reason not to play in more familiar eras, player knowledge ALWAYS seeps in Star Wars games in those eras.

I would choose anyone of the conflicts that is going on around these times and are detailed in the book, the The Great Sith War, The Restoration Period, The Mandalorian Wars, The Jedi Civil War, and The Dark Wars.

I would just pick, it is fairly easy to tailor a game to your PCs even if you have decided on an era first. You are a player in this game too remember!
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

"It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Perhaps first, get your players together and ask them what kinds of characters they would like to play. Tell them that you are going to be running a campaign in the Old Republic era, but otherwise leave it vague and see what kinds of ideas they come up with. If anyone seems to be stuck and not sure what to do, brainstorm with them and toss ideas out there. Perhaps show them the different alien species and give some ideas about the different classes and what they all can do. If you have all your players together in a group, they can all feed ideas to each other and that should make your job easier.

Come up with a solid idea of the kinds of characters that will be in your party and then you can start to work on the campaign itself and figure out where the characters will begin their story and what kinds of things are going to happen to them along the way.

I'm a proponent of building your adventures with your players in mind, that way you can take advantage of your group's strengths and weaknesses and really make the game feel like it is customized especially for them.
    oh i also like to build around the players.

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Tremayne View Post
    That is a really good reason not to play in more familiar eras, player knowledge ALWAYS seeps in Star Wars games in those eras.

I would choose anyone of the conflicts that is going on around these times and are detailed in the book, the The Great Sith War, The Restoration Period, The Mandalorian Wars, The Jedi Civil War, and The Dark Wars.

I would just pick, it is fairly easy to tailor a game to your PCs even if you have decided on an era first. You are a player in this game too remember!
    oh i know that. one of my players is a HUGE Star Wars fan. he is always quoting the movies.

so just pick a major conflict and go from there? how much "canon" should i include? for example: if i chose the mandalorian wars should i put in snipets if story from other parts of the universe? like Tales bout Revan and his exploits?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ...how much "canon" should i include? for example: if i chose the mandalorian wars should i put in snipets if story from other parts of the universe? like Tales bout Revan and his exploits?
    Don't worry too much about throwing in a lot of background events unless they are important to what the PCs are doing or where they are going, or if you want to plant them in your players minds as plot hooks for them to explore at their own discretion. More than likely, most of the players won't really understand the references anyway and will probably forget them by the next session...unless they are affecting the party in some way.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't worry too much about throwing in a lot of background events unless they are important to what the PCs are doing or where they are going, or if you want to plant them in your players minds as plot hooks for them to explore at their own discretion. More than likely, most of the players won't really understand the references anyway and will probably forget them by the next session...unless they are affecting the party in some way.
    true, but my NEW player to table top rpgs has always been a huge Star Wars fan. and has played the KOTOR games.

but i was just wondering if i should make like a "news broadcast" about other event of the universe. i mean if a full scale war is going on i'm pretty sure that the PCs are going to at least hear about it. unless of course they are on a planet like Dagobah

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    true, but my NEW player to table top rpgs has always been a huge Star Wars fan. and has played the KOTOR games.

but i was just wondering if i should make like a "news broadcast" about other event of the universe. i mean if a full scale war is going on i'm pretty sure that the PCs are going to at least hear about it. unless of course they are on a planet like Dagobah
    Sure, you could perhaps put together an opening segment at the beginning of each session for the "Galactic News Net", bringing them up to speed on the latest happenings in galactic affairs. It should be pretty light and breezy and not bog them down with too much info, but enough to give them a meaningful view of the state of things...and drop plot hooks!
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sure, you could perhaps put together an opening segment at the beginning of each session for the "Galactic News Net", bringing them up to speed on the latest happenings in galactic affairs. It should be pretty light and breezy and not bog them down with too much info, but enough to give them a meaningful view of the state of things...and drop plot hooks!
    yes yes! ooh that's good very good. lets them know what is going on and gives them new things to do. if they want

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    yes yes! ooh that's good very good. lets them know what is going on and gives them new things to do. if they want
    Yep, I used something similar in a supers game I was running, where the PCs were listening to radio news broadcasts.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep, I used something similar in a supers game I was running, where the PCs were listening to radio news broadcasts.
    i like it. its a really good idea

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast