Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 95

Thread: Armorial of Ashbarex: Chapter the First: First Impressions

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,188
    Blog Entries
    42
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0

    Armorial of Ashbarex: Chapter the First: First Impressions

    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Consciousness returns slowly. First, touch. There is something cold touching your right arm. After a few moments, your realize it is also wet. Then smell. Wet. Wet steel and the earthy punk of growing things. There is a breeze blowing intermittently. Sometimes cool, sometimes warm. This puzzles you.

    Hearing.... Insects. Frogs. Wind. And something else. A faint clinking sound. As if some metal struck rock or stone. Vision. Your eyes open, but then close against the whirling. There was what appeared to be a couple of trees dancing and twisting against the sky. Then the pain hits. You are sore... everywhere. You feel as though you were struck by a planet. Thinking of your recent journey, perhaps you were.

    Opening your eyes this time is more productive. The trees stop dancing, and the clouds are merely passing by at a much more normal speed. You realize that you can't move much, and this brings you to test your limbs. Your right arm splashes around a bit. Finally, it dawns on you that you are wedged into the rocky incline of a stream bank.



    You are completely alone.
    Last edited by nijineko; 08-20-2008 at 06:11 PM.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    178
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    "If it hurts it must still be attached"

    I'll slowly rise from prone. I'll survey my surroundings while continuing to test my appendages for range of mobility; stretching my arms and legs, flexing my fingers and toes, and spreading my wings. Once I've determined that all is well with me or at least figured out how bad it is, I'll do an inventory of my things. Then I'll give my full attention to my surroundings and that noise.

    Obviously, I'm seeing spots and my ears are ringing

    * spot check *

    * listen check *
    Last edited by Dax Thura; 08-20-2008 at 06:03 PM.

    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    08-20-2008 06:02 PM
    spot check: 1d20 (4) + 4 (4) = 8
    listen check: 1d20 (4)
    [ roll= d20 ] Rolling for no reason [ /roll ]
    Ashbarex Blue
    Shashakhad the Dark Knife Red
    Jacinth the Bright Purple

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,188
    Blog Entries
    42
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Some inelegant clawing at the rocks finally produces enough leverage to pry yourself from the stoney embrace. A few cramps and sharp stabbing pains, but you've suffered worse. Nothing that some stretching and improved posture and circulation won't cure. The bruises are tender, lots of bruises, but those will surely fade with time or proper treatment.

    Everything you had on you appears to have survived your translocation. Your attention turns to your surroundings. You appear to be in a cleft in between two hills. A small stream trickles its merry way down. Sunlight appears strongly from over the ridge of the cleft. The sharp metallic smell does not abate. It also does not appear to be coming from the stream.

    Another puff of warm air reaches you. The warm air smells strongly of metal. A shiver races down your back and out your wings. One of the trees... isn't a tree.

    "Not the most survival-oriented indiviual i've ever had the displeasure of running into, I must say," a deep voice booms, a harp string tuned to the low rumble of thunder.
    Last edited by nijineko; 08-27-2008 at 11:46 AM.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    178
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    With the best smirk I can conjure, I'll say" That's because I am a city boy by nature. All this wilderness is for druids. But we have not been properly introduced. I am Ashbarex. To whom do I have the pleasure of addressing? And if I have accidentally injured you or your property, I apologize and assure you that it was only due to a very unexpected and disorienting journey that I did so. The same journey that landed me unconscious and wedged between the rocks where you found me."


    * diplomacy *
    Last edited by Dax Thura; 08-20-2008 at 09:08 PM.

    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    08-20-2008 09:08 PM
    diplomacy: 1d20 (14) + 5 (5) = 19
    [ roll= d20 ] Rolling for no reason [ /roll ]
    Ashbarex Blue
    Shashakhad the Dark Knife Red
    Jacinth the Bright Purple

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,188
    Blog Entries
    42
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    The "tree" is silouetted against the sunlight streaming over the ridge. It uproots, revealing that what appeared to be a tree was in fact the head and shoulders of a rather large creature. Its edges scintilate with fractured light. A graceful leap sails it over to hill to your right, the one without a tree. It twists in midair, landing facing you with a metallic crash. No longer in shadow, it proves to be a rather large dragon.

    A curiously feline body with a sinuous neck topped by an oddly human-like face, one made so partly because of the shock of long narrow scales forming a 'beard' about the muzzle, 'sideburns' along the jaw, and 'hair' behind the wide ears. These scales seem to be what caused the dragon to superfically resemble a tree when it held still. The scales are the color of burnished steel, and many come to a knife-edge along the spine and shoulders. The eyes are the piercing gleam of light upon a keen edge.

    The wind of the dragons passing washes over you, bringing with it more strongly than ever the sharp oder of wet steel. The dragon rather pointedly adjusts stance, bringing to light a distinct dent in the chest plates, surrounded by a scorch mark. The dragon seems about to speak, and then the nostrils twitch. A long indrawn breath, and the dragon appraises you intently.

    "Well. I am willing to accept your apology for the injury and indignity done me. Never let it be said that I was not generous. But you have also lost me my lunch. I shall require a repayment, of my choosing, at some future date. And now I must hurry if I am to find something else, so I will take my leave."

    The dragon prepares to lift into the sky, and pauses looking down at you. "You are not unduly injured, yourself?"
    Last edited by nijineko; 08-30-2008 at 10:00 PM.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    178
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Switching to draconic and a more... formal attitude.

    No ,Great One. I wasn't. Of course your generosity is humbly accepted and deeply appreciated; again, I apologize for the indignity.

    More eagerly

    If you would have me, I would assist you in recapturing your lunch as a way to show my sincerity. Or perhaps, after you've dined, we could spend some time together. You see, I am a scion of the blood, though I was orphaned very young, and I am searching for my place in the world. Any knowledge or information you could give would be appreciated. By the way, Great One, where in the world am I and for that matter, which world is this?


    Knowledge-arcana check for info on Steel(Fang?) dragons.


    Please ignore the second set of knowledge rolls.

    * knowledge arcana *

    * another knowledge arcana (just in case) *

    * followed by a diplomacy (begging) roll *

    * and a gather info check *
    Last edited by Dax Thura; 08-27-2008 at 11:09 AM.

    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    08-22-2008 12:05 AM
    knowledge arcana: 1d20 (11) + 10 (10) = 21
    another knowledge arcana (just in case): 1d20 (1) + 10 (10) = 11
    08-22-2008 12:23 AM
    knowledge arcana: 1d20 (19) + 10 (10) = 29
    another knowledge arcana (just in case): 1d20 (3) + 10 (10) = 13
    followed by a diplomacy (begging) roll: 1d20 (4) + 5 (5) = 9
    and a gather info check: 1d20 (15) + 7 (7) = 22
    [ roll= d20 ] Rolling for no reason [ /roll ]
    Ashbarex Blue
    Shashakhad the Dark Knife Red
    Jacinth the Bright Purple

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,188
    Blog Entries
    42
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    The dragon nods at your first sentance and tenses to leap... but checks abruptly at your continuation. After a few thoughtful moments, the dragon settles back down, and observes you intently and silently, apparently thinking.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    178
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I'll "settle" as well, mimicking him (?) as best as I can, while waiting. Hopefully, he doesn't take offense. Occasionally, I'll flex my wings and clawed hands. I'll let my markings show in the hope that my appearance will help convince him to help me more.

    Did my rolls give me any info?
    [ roll= d20 ] Rolling for no reason [ /roll ]
    Ashbarex Blue
    Shashakhad the Dark Knife Red
    Jacinth the Bright Purple

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,188
    Blog Entries
    42
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    {yes, sorry... following a dragon's chains of thoughts is a bit of a task, i'd neglected to mention the results: From what you can tell, this would be a Steel dragon. Common name of Greyhawk dragon, as they do not seem to appear in any of the planes, and are not commonly found outside of the regions south of the Nyr Dyv. (or, not that anyone knows, that is.) Somewhat rare, and difficult to find, even for dragons. Stories about them are few, but what do exists seem to emphasize a dislike for bullying or unjust behavior, and a warped sense of humor.

    the results of your other checks will be forthcoming.}
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,188
    Blog Entries
    42
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    At long last, the dragon speaks, "I think you should tell me the tale, in your own words of just what happened to you. I can delay lunch for a bit, especially if there is a story to be told." There seems to be a faint, perhaps even eager, emphasis on the word 'story'.

    The dragon settles back down, crosses the forearms, and regards you more intently than ever.
    Last edited by nijineko; 08-30-2008 at 09:59 PM.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    178
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Well, I'm not much of a storyteller. But, I was going about my day. A day not unlike any other. Then, there's this odd music before some magical effect sucked me in. As I was in the effect, I saw an string of people that stretched on without end. I heard a voice saying that I was one of some unknown number who had the ability to save them. The people stretched to infinity, that is. Then I awoke in the state that you found me.
    [ roll= d20 ] Rolling for no reason [ /roll ]
    Ashbarex Blue
    Shashakhad the Dark Knife Red
    Jacinth the Bright Purple

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,188
    Blog Entries
    42
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    The dragon thinks for a while. "Do you remember anything else of what happened in-between you being identified and awaking here? I assure you, your entrance was rather spectacular, on the local scale."
    Last edited by nijineko; 08-30-2008 at 09:59 PM.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    178
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I remember that the voice that spoke to me was female. I remember the sensation of falling up then falling down. It felt like I... travelled a great distance or perhaps moved between planes. The faces of the people were stretched out and they appeared in pain. There was a lake, some islands, and a castle or a city. That's all.
    What do you mean by spectacular by the 'local scale'.


    I figure that it all happened so fast that I can't remember everything clearly, especially so soon after the event.
    Last edited by Dax Thura; 08-28-2008 at 11:56 PM.
    [ roll= d20 ] Rolling for no reason [ /roll ]
    Ashbarex Blue
    Shashakhad the Dark Knife Red
    Jacinth the Bright Purple

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,188
    Blog Entries
    42
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    The dragon stares off into space, absently making chewing motions with it's jaws. Abruptly the dragon *harumphs*. "Oh, yes indeed. It was quite the spectacular sight. Normally, nothing could distract my attention from delicious food, especially not such a buck as that. Very tasty looking indeed. No, only the most extraordinary, unusual and rare of events could have accomplished that."

    The dragon favors you with a piercing stare. "But even one such as I finds that being knocked on one's hindquarters by someone appearing out of nowhere in an explosion of light, quite beautiful a bow of light it was at that, to be at the very least, sufficient an event as to pose a minor distraction." The dragons voice goes very dry and droll recounting this.
    Last edited by nijineko; 06-24-2011 at 12:05 AM.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    178
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Again I apologize for the loss of your meal and, well, for bumping into you so, but I am happy to hear that my entrance was substantial enough to catch your attention Great One. Perhaps with your vast wisdom and great wealth of knowledge, you and could advise me on my next course of action. Someone went through much trouble to get me here and I am curious as to whom and specifics as to what I am expected to do.
    [ roll= d20 ] Rolling for no reason [ /roll ]
    Ashbarex Blue
    Shashakhad the Dark Knife Red
    Jacinth the Bright Purple

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [DM / Player Tools] Chapter One Cultures
    By tesral in forum Campaign Resources
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-01-2008, 02:39 PM
  2. 4e Initial Impressions...
    By Webhead in forum 4th Edition
    Replies: 173
    Last Post: 08-16-2008, 10:22 PM
  3. [DM / Player Tools] Chapter Four -- Character Classes
    By tesral in forum Campaign Resources
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-15-2008, 11:07 AM
  4. [White Wolf] New Chapter in the V:TES Story
    By PnP News Bot in forum News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-18-2007, 05:43 PM
  5. Eberron: Shadows of Stormreach: Chapter 6
    By PnP News Bot in forum News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-06-2006, 10:29 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •