Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 95

Thread: Armorial of Ashbarex: Chapter the First: First Impressions

  1. #76
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,171
    Blog Entries
    41
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    "The minstrel fled some months ago, nearly half a year now. He seems to have disappeared entirely. I had thought that either through his music, or for his great love of the foodstuffs produced from our herds, he could be tracked... but there has been no sign of him through either method." He lets himself down heavily at one of the common tables.

    "My daughter was found missing this morning, but it was not until late morning that it appeared that she wasn't in the house. You arrived about the time the guards were leaving to search around the house. Had the Tower guards seen that you were a foe, or had had some contact with my daughter, you might have been taken prisoner, instead of guested. None of the traveling animals, nor any other member of the household or staff were missing, so she is on foot. Some food was missing from the kitchens, as was some of her practice clothing, so it seems that she might be trying her fortune, or as you say, seeking this minstrel.... Though heaven help him if she were to find him now."

    "We are doing what can be done concerning the minstrel. After all, many merchants rely upon our herds, so we have many contacts. More to the present, I would ask you to begin searching as soon as possible. If it seems that she has managed to find a way about other than foot, we can cover the possibilities of the surrounding regions then." He raises his good arm and makes a slight waving gesture. Before he is done, a tall person appears at his elbow, so swiftly and silently that it is almost as if he materialized. He is dressed in fine clothing and bows slightly to your host.

    "Abershaunt, please see to any minor needs this one has. I have decided to engage him to aid the search for my daughter." Thus named, the man looks you over. Though his face does not so much as twitch, you get the distinct impression of a raised eyebrow.
    Last edited by nijineko; 10-27-2009 at 03:53 PM.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    177
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Ashbarex gives a respectful bow.
    "Well met Abershaunt, I am Ashbarex. My needs are few. I could use a map of the area and it might prove beneficial to me to have the locations marked where the young lady.." Ashbarex turns to Horntusk, "You never gave me her name, Mast.... Horntusk." Then back to Abershaunt, "If the locations where (she) has previously been found could be marked please. While I wait for that and figure out where I will go next, perhaps I could have a small meal. It has been an eventful day for me and I am famished. If possible, I would like to be off within an hour."
    [ roll= d20 ] Rolling for no reason [ /roll ]
    Ashbarex Blue
    Shashakhad the Dark Knife Red
    Jacinth the Bright Purple

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,171
    Blog Entries
    41
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Abershaunt says in a surprisingly deep voice, "Please follow me, good sir." He leads you towards an archway to one side, and through it, down a wide hall, into a kitchen area. There is a small table off to one side where he seats you, and then speaks with some of the staff who has food before you in very short order.

    A small plate is presented, which seems too small to really satisfy you, though at second glance is piled high. Two cups, one large and chilled, the other small and steaming are also set before you. The larger proves to be a wine cut with fruit juice, much better than the water usually used. The smaller proves to have an unexpected kick, some sort of mulled wine, thick with spices and a strong lingering heat.

    This is swiftly followed by a large amount of easily packaged foods. Some may call them rations, but you have seldom seen finer, these would rival the offerings of some of the inns you have eaten at. The extra consists of an assortment of dried fruits, smoked meats, and breads, some with filling, all fresh.

    The extra foods rapidly disappear into a sling-like rucksack, which is left at your elbow along with two full skins, one larger and one quite small. Almost before you manage to finish the plate, Abershaunt is back, with a rolled up parchment.

    {{{i actually have a map, but need some more time to get it cut to size and otherwise ready. =D i'll pause here, feel free to post or to wait for the map, as you prefer. }}}
    Last edited by nijineko; 06-20-2011 at 10:44 PM.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    177
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I will look over the map, asking questions to insure that I understand what each symbol stands for. I'll look where Horntuskette (you never gave the daughter's name) has been previously found. If there's a concentration of places where she's been found, I will let them look there. I will also keep away from other settlements as he said they already looked there. If there's an area that is otherwise empty, I'll begin my search there.

    Here's a roll just in case.
    * Int Roll *

    * Gather Information *

    --- Merged from Double Post ---
    Here's a roll just in case.
    * Int Roll *

    * Gather Information *
    Last edited by Dax Thura; 12-07-2009 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Double Post

    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    12-07-2009 02:30 AM
    1d20+2: int roll (0)
    1d20+7: gather information (0)
    12-07-2009 02:31 AM
    Int Roll: 1d20 (8) + 2 (2) = 10
    Gather Information: 1d20 (19) + 7 (7) = 26
    Int Roll: 1d20 (19) + 2 (2) = 21
    Gather Information: 1d20 (3) + 7 (7) = 10
    [ roll= d20 ] Rolling for no reason [ /roll ]
    Ashbarex Blue
    Shashakhad the Dark Knife Red
    Jacinth the Bright Purple

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,171
    Blog Entries
    41
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    The map in question is fairly local, being mostly concerned with the lands enclosed for the herds, however, it also notes some of the surrounding area, and around the margins are concise notations of major routes with distances, directions, and landmarks given to succeeding locations of note, and a few minor routes as well.

    In previous excursions, she has never made it past the nearest minor towns, apparently being well-recognized by all who are local to the region. She has never assayed the major routes, presumably because they are well traveled and there are many contacts along them. There are a small number of local haunts which are frequented by local children, most of which seem to be along the stream you followed for a time. She has been occasionally found at one of them. Her attempts at departing seem to fall into one of two categories: rebellious avoidance, accounting for almost all of the short duration and near-by areas, these have been deemed as temper more than anything; and seriously running away, of which there have been three attempts, accounting for all the minor routes marked on the map. It is uncertain at this early juncture, which category this latest disappearance falls into, though it seems obvious that Horntusk is either playing it safe, or has reason(s) unshared to think it the latter. Apparently the earlier comment about "uncaught" refers more to leaving enough clues to give herself away as having left, rather than actually departing the house proper.

    You conclude that the places she has not tried, or been found trying, are the major routes, where you are assured word has been sent, the north and west, where there are no routes going-but is roughly where you came from, and the penned lands, where a number of people with "affinity" work with the herds. The possibility of a hidden accomplish also occurs to you.

    Her name is Cilwyrr.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    177
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Do you still have a map for me to look at?

    "Who helps her leave, Abershaunt? Someone has to notice when she's making preparations to run away. Who would that most likely be?"
    [ roll= d20 ] Rolling for no reason [ /roll ]
    Ashbarex Blue
    Shashakhad the Dark Knife Red
    Jacinth the Bright Purple

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,171
    Blog Entries
    41
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Abershaunt is silent, quirks an eyebrow, then speaks,"There is no proof that she has aid. It has been suspected, and investigated multiple times, particularly when she was younger, but none have ever been found.... You are an insightful individual, sir. If you wish, I can make quiet inquiries while you are out searching."
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    177
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    "Actually, sir, a quick word with that person or those persons would vastly simplify my impending search. You must have some idea as to who it is."
    Last edited by Dax Thura; 06-21-2011 at 07:22 PM.
    [ roll= d20 ] Rolling for no reason [ /roll ]
    Ashbarex Blue
    Shashakhad the Dark Knife Red
    Jacinth the Bright Purple

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,171
    Blog Entries
    41
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Abershaunt is silent, his level and unwavering gaze quite capable of unsettling even innocent individuals. Finally, he reaches into a some hidden pocket, and produces a small item wrapped in some exceedingly fine cloth. The cloth is skillfully stripped away from what is revealed to be a fine golden bell and tucked into a breast pocket in a smooth practiced gesture. The tucked cloth even looks neatly folded. You briefly wonder how he managed the trick as he taps a brief pattern on the bell with a finely manicured nail. The bell is soft, but unbelievably sweet and pure of sound. Resting a finger tip against the rim, he silences it, then taps a few more patterns on it, silencing the bell between each. At last the cloth is whisked from his pocket and neatly tucked around the bell, muffling it completely even as it is being slipped back into the recess from which it was drawn. He shifts position to a stance with an attitude of expectant waiting.
    Last edited by nijineko; 07-27-2011 at 09:54 AM.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    177
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Ashbarex tries not to show his interest in the item Abershaunt used. He tries to exude an aura of quiet confidence as he waits.
    [ roll= d20 ] Rolling for no reason [ /roll ]
    Ashbarex Blue
    Shashakhad the Dark Knife Red
    Jacinth the Bright Purple

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,171
    Blog Entries
    41
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    There is a short time waiting, while various people pass through the hall, some stopping to eat, some continuing on business. The wide variety of people and the various mix of features are interesting. Some show more prominently their heritage from Horntusk, others show more of a different heritage, most show what you are coming to recognize as a mix of the two. Eventually, you notice one that has the attitude of searching. They spot the two of you and head over. As they traverse the expansive hall you spot two more who likewise approach.

    Finally there are three diverse individuals standing before you. The first is an elderly lady who seems to your discerning eye to be pure human. She is dressed in a rather severe and conservative fashion and stands at precise attention. The second is a young girl who seems to show more of that other heritage you have been spotting. She is thicker, in a muscular fashion which makes her somewhat stout looking, despite her height. She has hair so thick it almost forms sideburns. She is dressed in a rather pretty dress which is a slightly odd contrast to her physique. The third is a tall, thin, spare middle aged man who has thickly corded, wiry forearms. Even without the worn scabbard and elegant sword handle visible, not to mention the light leather armor, you would have pegged him as an arms instructor. His hairy eyebrows give his eyes a hooded appearance, but he does not seem to miss anything going on around him.

    Abershaunt speaks, "These are the three who not only have frequent close interaction with Mistress Cilwyrr, they were the last ones to have direct interaction with her before her disappearance. Madam Engeleisia," the elderly woman, "Mistress Quendreda," the young woman, "and Master-at-Arms Brictled. Madam Engeleisia has charge of all the young women in the household, being an instructor in various arts, etiquette, and knowledge. Mistress Quendreda is a friend and peer to Mistress Cilwyrr. Master-at-Arms Brictled teaches weapon arts and survival skills to all the household."

    Turning to the three he introduces you briefly as one requested by The Horntusk to seek for Mistress Cilwyrr. He requests that they answer a few brief questions put to them by you, and explains that you will speak with each of them here in the hall, at a table at a slight remove, while he waits. You note that it is just far enough to grant some privacy, if voices are kept low.


    {{{BTW, feel free to make a spellcraft check to identify the magical effect of that bell, if you like.}}}
    Last edited by nijineko; 08-01-2011 at 12:18 AM.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    177
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    * Spellcraft *

    * Diplomacy *

    * Sense Motive *


    "Hello. I assume that each of you know why you are seated with me right now. I also assume that each of you cares deeply for Mistress Cilwyrr. Before I ask you anything, I want to let you know a small bit about me." Ashbarex looks each of them in the eye trying to convey sincerity and humility while reading if one of them is hiding anything. "My name is Ashbarex. I am proud to have the blood of dragons flow through my veins and show so prominently in my outward appearance. Where I am from, I am known as a fairly potent arcanist with a specialty in fire magic and draconic knowledge. Among the Draconis I barely matter except as an envoy or messenger." He says with a self deprecating smile. "I started my day far from here, I don't know if this is the same world or even the same plane for that matter. My knowledge and ability isn't enough to allow me to return home. Though I have been able to discover one way. That is what brings me - and you - here today."
    "In all honesty, my motivation here is selfish. I want to get home. To do that I need to help Mistress Cilwyrr." He says to Madam Engleisia before turning his gaze to Master Bricktled. "That means seeing to her safety well being." Then finishing with Quendreda. "That also means helping her, actually helping her with any problems she has. To do that, to help her, I need to know what you know. What can you tell me of where she is, where she's going, and what she's trying to do?"
    Last edited by Dax Thura; 09-01-2011 at 03:12 PM.

    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    09-01-2011 03:10 PM
    Spellcraft: 1d20 (18)+ 6 (6) = 24
    Diplomacy: 1d20 (5)+ 9 (9) = 14
    Sense Motive: 1d20 (9)
    [ roll= d20 ] Rolling for no reason [ /roll ]
    Ashbarex Blue
    Shashakhad the Dark Knife Red
    Jacinth the Bright Purple

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,171
    Blog Entries
    41
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    The bell seems to have an effect similar to a sending or one of the various short-message type magics. It seems to be more complex than the usual item created from those effects. Judging from your general magical experience and recent observations, you postulate that it can distinguish between multiple individuals and communicate a summons of some sort based on the pattern of taps.

    In response to your general introduction, Madam Engleisia seems mildly disapproving, Master Bricktled seems stoic, and Quendreda avoids your gaze, looking instead at about your knees. Then you have a chance to speak with each of the three individually.

    From Madam Engleisia you learn that Mistress Cilwyrr is bright and observant, with a strong mischievous streak which led her to occasionally abandon lessons that did not hold her interest in favor of frivolity. She only began taking an interest in the more womanly arts and lessons relating to such after 'that bard' captured her attention, as he had so many of the womenfolk of the household. She was quite heartbroken at his sudden departure, especially since there had been some consideration of marriage upon her part. You gather that Madam Engleisia disapproved of the bard, rather strongly, though you are not able to pick out why exactly. The day of her departure, she had pled unwell, and left her lessons quite early. She had been permitted to leave as she had not seemed herself the few days prior.

    From Master Bricktled you learn that Mistress Cilwyrr excelled at the lessons and training required of all the household. In fact, she had been given periodic special lessons, due to her proficiency with certain weapons. She had also inherited the keenness of smell common to her lineage, making her quite skilled at the outdoor training as well. She was always attentive focused during his lessons. The day of her disappearance he had met Mistress Cilwyrr unexpectedly during the late part of the morning coming from the kitchens. She had indicated that she was not feeling well, and had left her lessons to go rest in her room. When he inquired as to why she was coming from the kitchens instead, she had said that she was hungry, and planned to eat in order to help her rest. At the time he had not thought much of it, but had sent her on her way. Thinking back on later, he realized that she had been carrying a wrapped packet or bundle of some kind.

    From Mistress Quendreda you are able to draw out that she had visited Mistress Cilwyrr during the mid-day meal. She had been sleeping, which was a surprise, but awoke almost as soon as she had entered the room. After talking about the lessons for a short time Cilwyrr had given her a necklace of hers which she had always wanted to have, and pled fatigue.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    177
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    "Madame, I can tell that you are a lady of honor. You speak of Mistress Cilwyrr with such pride. You even like her youthful mischievous streak. I understand that you've told me what you know. So I feel rather embarrassed to have to ask you again, if there's anything you can tell me to help me locate her?"

    ---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 AM ----------

    "You said that Mistress Cilwyrr inherited her family's keen scent. This is the first I've heard of it. Is she good enough to allow her to track this bard fellow? I realize that the answer is probably yes, but has anyone tried to track her by scent already. Also, with which weapons is she most proficient? That may prove a useful clue in locating her."

    ---------- Post added at 09:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 AM ----------

    Ashbarex believes that Quendreda knows more than she's said, but needs to have it brought out of her. He sits there for a count of a hundred before sighing deeply. He then counts 50 more before speaking. He gets her talking about the mundane. He steers the conversation to any adventures she's had. Finally, he gets around to asking about the bard. He spends a good deal of time with her, trying to put her at ease and gain her trust. He hopes she will reveal something, even something she doesn't realize is important.
    [ roll= d20 ] Rolling for no reason [ /roll ]
    Ashbarex Blue
    Shashakhad the Dark Knife Red
    Jacinth the Bright Purple

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,171
    Blog Entries
    41
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Madam Engleisia thinks for a time, and then informs you that her charge is well trained in etiquette, various age appropriate womanly arts, as well as in the politics, economies, trade routes, and major figures of all the nearby countries, towns, and merchants. She is highly intelligent and quite capable of using her wits and knowledge to not only evade the household patrols, but to maneuver among any of the local polities. She could be anywhere.

    At this, Master Bricktled adds that she is very familiar with the immediate local regions, having spent many the hour in various activities (weapons*, survival, tracking, and crafting) in said nearby areas. Furthermore, she would be canny enough to known how to mask her scent, being particularly gifted in that area herself.

    After a thoughtful pause, Madam Engleisia adds that the only impediment would be her... distinctive appearance. (She apparently takes a bit strongly after the Master.)

    [[[the weapons referred to are all in the simple weapons category...]]]

    Quendreda retains most of her wariness, but she is not experienced enough to bluff you. Filtering through the chatter, you glean that the bard left not quite a year ago, Mistress Cilwyrr was not romantically interested in the bard at first-something else about him had caught her curiosity-though it was not long before she too liked him, and she had talked about leaving to find the bard up until suddenly a month or so ago when she stopped bringing it up. She also began throwing herself into her lessons about that time, hardly leaving any time for the things they used to do together. The last few days she had complained of an upset stomach, and had seemed oddly unfocused and vague.
    Last edited by nijineko; 01-08-2012 at 09:03 PM.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [DM / Player Tools] Chapter One Cultures
    By tesral in forum Campaign Resources
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-01-2008, 02:39 PM
  2. 4e Initial Impressions...
    By Webhead in forum 4th Edition
    Replies: 173
    Last Post: 08-16-2008, 10:22 PM
  3. [DM / Player Tools] Chapter Four -- Character Classes
    By tesral in forum Campaign Resources
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-15-2008, 11:07 AM
  4. [White Wolf] New Chapter in the V:TES Story
    By PnP News Bot in forum News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-18-2007, 05:43 PM
  5. Eberron: Shadows of Stormreach: Chapter 6
    By PnP News Bot in forum News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-06-2006, 10:29 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •