Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 95

Thread: Armorial of Ashbarex: Chapter the First: First Impressions

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    179
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I'll head into the the gate. Hopefully, I'll see someone soon.
    [ roll= d20 ] Rolling for no reason [ /roll ]
    Ashbarex Blue
    Shashakhad the Dark Knife Red
    Jacinth the Bright Purple

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,227
    Blog Entries
    43
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    You move out of the underbrush and onto the road. To the right, you can see the road follow the curve and flow of the river till it turns out of your sight. The archway is an imposing edifice. The natural rock arch has been cut in such a way that it appears to have been built of large blocks of stone.

    The 'keystone' has what appears to be an unfamiliar heraldic crest, a circle in the center bearing a symbol inside of it, backed by a boar's head facing left and a bull's head facing right, which is surrounded by an odd six-pointed shape with graceful curves joining point to point. At the base of each leg of the arch sits a statue, to the left a bull, and to the right a boar. They are facing each other.

    The arch itself is quite deep, beyond which you can see that there actually is a gate, currently open such that the doors are flush embedded into the walls on either side. As you step forward, there is a sudden deep tolling sound. As the echos die, you hear some metal-against-stone sounds, and then a voice booms out, "Who goes there?"
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    179
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I'll answer, I am Ashbarex. I would speak with the master of this land to bargain for some of your herd.
    [ roll= d20 ] Rolling for no reason [ /roll ]
    Ashbarex Blue
    Shashakhad the Dark Knife Red
    Jacinth the Bright Purple

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,227
    Blog Entries
    43
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    There is a brief pause, and the voice asks, somewhat incredulously, "Where is your train of handlers? Your caravan? Wh..." the voice breaks off suddenly. You hear the sound of feet slapping stone, and leaning to one side slightly, you see someone rushing from the hill beyond towards you. What you can see looks lanky and hairy and young. They veer off to one side and out of sight behind one side of the open gate, and you hear the sound of steps being climbed in a rush. Stone from the sound of it.

    Faintly a murmur of hurried speaking comes to you, along with some expletive-like sounds. The acoustics of this place are incredible. Finally there is the clatter of many feet coming down the steps. The lanky runner returns running the way they came, while a small group of large individuals come into view. They are all in full armor, which must be uncomfortable on such a warm afternoon.

    Five of the individuals come out the gate, nodding to you as they pass. They are all taller than you, and fairly burly. They bear the same symbol on the chest of their armor as appears in the top of the archway. Their helms are large and imposing, fanciful and varied mixtures of both bull and boar. They confer momentarily and split up, two heading down the road along the river, two heading down the road going directly away from the gate, with the remaining one heading up-river through the grasses and brush, the way you came.

    Two still stand by the gate, one helmed, the other un-helmed. That one waves to you, gesturing you over towards them.
    Last edited by nijineko; 06-26-2009 at 03:42 AM.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    179
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I'll take a moment to straighten out my clothes and gather myself, trying to appear confident, before walking over to the one who gestured for me. I'll stop at just inside his sword reach and wait for him to make the next move. All the while, I am trying to figure out what manner of creature they are.
    [ roll= d20 ] Rolling for no reason [ /roll ]
    Ashbarex Blue
    Shashakhad the Dark Knife Red
    Jacinth the Bright Purple

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,227
    Blog Entries
    43
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    The pair loom large as you approach. They are easily well over 6' tall. The still-helmed one is taller than his companion, by nearly half a head you estimate from the shoulders, despite the helm. The un-helmed one seems human enough. He has a squarish face, with light colored whiskers covering most of his jaw and cheeks. His hair, both facial and on top is so light as to appear much less than it actually is. Notably, he has a snaggletooth smile, one lower tooth poking out so far as to appear almost a miniature tusk, giving his face a permanent cheerful leer.

    They are wearing some sort of reinforced chain mail, with thin plates attached at key points. The tabard covers a lot though. The one wearing the helm has his helm shaped into a minotaur-like visage, but with a boar-like nose and tusks. They study you closely as you approach. A moment of mutual inspection after you stop and the un-helmed one speaks.

    "Well come and well met to Horntusk Height. Forgive my doubting you... most merchants who come to buy have near a drove of themselves when they come! Seek you entry, and which hospitalities will you be accepting of home, hearth, table, and bed?"
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    179
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Recalling the Dragon's warning of not eating anything Ashbarex responds. Actually, I am anxious to return to my patron and won't be able to remain any longer than necessary to complete our transaction. However, if we can come to an accord, perhaps I'll be able to partake of your hospitality on my future visits.

    Trying to be charming while refusing their hospitality.
    * Bluff *

    * Diplomacy *

    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    03-24-2009 06:16 PM
    Bluff: 1d20 (13) + 9 (9) = 22
    Diplomacy: 1d20 (2) + 9 (9) = 11
    [ roll= d20 ] Rolling for no reason [ /roll ]
    Ashbarex Blue
    Shashakhad the Dark Knife Red
    Jacinth the Bright Purple

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,227
    Blog Entries
    43
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    The un-helmed one arcs a shaggy eyebrow and just kinda looks at you like you missed something. He glances up back at the other, who sighs a hollow echoing sigh. The helmed one speaks, "Pardon me good merchant, I need to speak a few private words to my friend here. Will you permit us the discourtesy of causing you to wait just a few short moments?" His voice echoes from his helm.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    179
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Waiting for them.
    [ roll= d20 ] Rolling for no reason [ /roll ]
    Ashbarex Blue
    Shashakhad the Dark Knife Red
    Jacinth the Bright Purple

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,227
    Blog Entries
    43
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    [[[ah, this next post will take a bit more time than i currently have. never fear, i'll get back to you as soon as i can!]]]
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,227
    Blog Entries
    43
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    [[[thank you for your patience.]]]

    The helmed one turns away slightly and throws a meaty arm around his companion's shoulder to bring him along with. They begin whispering to each other... oddly the "whispers" are loud enough to carry clearly to you.

    *You seem to be putting him on the spot a bit.*
    *I'm just asking him what is required by the post.*
    *True, but it's obvious that whomever his patron is, that patron either doesn't know the local customs, or didn't see fit to inform our friend here.*
    *Well, it's not like I can offer him insult by assuming he doesn't know, and be thought to be talking down to him, when by all indications, his station is sufficient that he might take offense.*
    *Or, he might be from far away.*
    *That's pretty far away if he's never heard of the four hospitalities!*
    *Still, it might be so.*
    *Now that you mention it, there is that one place that only uses three, what where they called...*
    *The Followers of the Four Prophets, I think. And those Inner Light people have five or six.*
    *Oh, right. So... do we just let him guess?*
    *Well, most merchants just accept hearth and table, none of them have accepted home or bed since....*
    *That might be....*
    *Not with one so ignorant...*
    *So, what do we do?*
    *Well, he might have remembered about the four hospitalities now that he's had some time to think while we've been having our little discussion. Speaking of, we are keeping him waiting. Let's ask him where he is from, that should be safe enough.*
    *Right.*

    The pair turn back towards you, and the unhelmed one addresses you again.

    "Please, good sir, may I inquire as to where you are from?"
    Last edited by nijineko; 06-09-2009 at 12:47 PM.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    179
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    OOC:I've been trying to remember where it is I am from.

    I doubt you would have heard of the place. I am from the Crimson Gyre region of Argonesson.
    [ roll= d20 ] Rolling for no reason [ /roll ]
    Ashbarex Blue
    Shashakhad the Dark Knife Red
    Jacinth the Bright Purple

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,227
    Blog Entries
    43
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    The two exchange a completely blank glance. "You are correct, good merchant. We have never heard of that place. You must be from far away indeed. Welcome. I hope your journey here was safe."
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    179
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Well is there an issue or am I to be led to the master of this land? Ashbarex considers for a moment then says, And now that you bring my journey to mind, some food does sound good. If the offer still stands, I'll accept the hospitality of table.
    [ roll= d20 ] Rolling for no reason [ /roll ]
    Ashbarex Blue
    Shashakhad the Dark Knife Red
    Jacinth the Bright Purple

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,227
    Blog Entries
    43
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    "Of course, good merchant, we will gladly provide the hospitality of the table." The unhelmed one hesitates, glances at his companion, then around quickly and leans closer. Speaking in a quick undertone, he says, "The hospitality of the hearth is for those who have some kind of business to transact with a House." He turns his head away slightly and coughs loudly. "Your pardon, a tickle in the throat. Is the hearth hospitality all at this time, good merchant?"

    The helmed one pokes the unhelmed one in the back, reprovingly.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [DM / Player Tools] Chapter One Cultures
    By tesral in forum Campaign Resources
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-01-2008, 02:39 PM
  2. 4e Initial Impressions...
    By Webhead in forum 4th Edition
    Replies: 173
    Last Post: 08-16-2008, 10:22 PM
  3. [DM / Player Tools] Chapter Four -- Character Classes
    By tesral in forum Campaign Resources
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-15-2008, 11:07 AM
  4. [White Wolf] New Chapter in the V:TES Story
    By PnP News Bot in forum News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-18-2007, 05:43 PM
  5. Eberron: Shadows of Stormreach: Chapter 6
    By PnP News Bot in forum News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-06-2006, 10:29 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •