Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Variorum of Victoria: Chapter the First: A Twisted Schema

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    When you come out from the kitchen, all finished and ready to go, you find that the father has put on some kind of armor, consisting of pieces which attach to his harness, and a kirtle which hangs down. Mother looks pensive at seeing this, but says nothing. Little Timothee wears a miniature version of his father's outfit. Leaving the house, everyone circles around the house, and follows a stone tube that protrudes from the ground. A bit of thought and you realize that it is likely the source of water in the house.

Following the tube, sometimes a simple ridge of earth on the ground, you eventually come to a small river where the tube disappears into a hill. Nearby is a very large tree, it's roots partially exposed on one side by the hurrying action of the river. Nestled into the small hill upon which the tree stands is a door, flanked by windows on either side. Little Timothee is left with a family of badgers which apparently live here. Timothee runs off with the badger young to splash and play in the river. A huge burly badger, maybe two-thirds the size of the father bear converses with the father for a bit. You are unable to understand what they are saying.

Soon you are on your way again, travelling through the forest. They accomodate your travel pace, and the mother even assists you over the rougher parts, letting you cling to her paw. In doing so, you note that other than their dress, speech and ovbious intellect, that they resemble perfectly normal "animals" in every other way. The mother converses softly with you as you travel.

{opportunity for you to ask questions! }
    Last edited by nijineko; 09-12-2008 at 03:58 PM.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    As I chat with mother bear I ask many questions and apologize if I appear ignorant. I asks first off where exactly was I? What the name of this forest was? What were their names (if I hadn't learned already). Why was there a truce between humans and the citizens of the forest? if it wasn't out of line I ask; What was so important about the document I found? Who were the people we would be meeting with? Plus such things as; How they preferred to be referred to as? What should I say or do or how should I act?

I thank her every time she assists me over a rather difficult bit of terrain.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    In response to your various questions:

"We call our homes by the old name," here she says something long and complicated, but which has no meaning for you, "but most folks just call it the Forest of the Woken."

"I am called Theerah and my husband is called Rrohtimo. As is our custom, we combine parts of our names into that of our children, which is why our little cub is named Timothee."

"Oh, it's not really a treaty with humans... no offense dear, but most humans are not civilized enough to have government, let alone make or keep treaties. Ever since the rise and defeat of the Ur-flan, no humans have been anything like civilized. You seem to be a refreshingly different case altogether." She blinks at you and pats your arm gently, perhaps worried that she may have offended you in some way. "The treaty does specify aid in keeping the human wander-kins away from our shared borders, that's all."

"Ah, the Rotundum... I'm sorry, dear, but it's not something that can be shared outside of the royal families." Sensing your dismay, she quickly says, "But don't worry dear, you are simply a very inquisitive cub, just like my Timothee. You do not do wrong in asking things." She smiles reassuringly at you. You note that when they smile, they do not show their teeth.

"As for whom we are going to see, we elect a Council every In-gather season from among the different royal lines. This Council is how we resolve our differences, which unfortunately seem many these days."

"You may call us by our names if you wish, but just calling us Mother Brown and Father Brown is also fine."

"You've been doing splendidly. Very polite, especially for a human. I want you to feel that you can always ask me anything you wish." A pause. "When it comes to the Council, however, if you'll take a fine piece of wisdom that i'm always trying to teach little Timothee, when you are in front of others, especially elders, remember that, 'the beginning of wisdom is in listening, and listening happens best in silence'." A pause. She whispers, "Some of the council are a little bit like, ah, sticks in the mud. Guardians of tradition and all that." Her eyes twinkle at you.

"You're most welcome."
    Last edited by nijineko; 09-12-2008 at 04:32 PM.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    If it mattered at all I let her know my name was Victoria and though we didn't follow the tradition of combining names sometimes we did honour an ancestor and use their name as a second name. Anytime she looks as if she may have offended me I give a cute reassuring smile, each culture was different after all.

When we arrive at our destination I heed Theerah's advice and keep silent, unless specifically spoken to, and listen, even if sometimes I want to speak up.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The father bear comes to a sudden standstill and sniffs the air. Mother bear looks around attentively and sniffs as well. You are deep in the forest, but before you is a bright area, a bit of a clearing where one of the giant trees has fallen, allowing a patch of sunlight to filter through the leaves and branches. Father bear draws his weapon slowly, a long scraping sound. Mother bear promptly begins some growling chant, waving her paws in careful deliberate gestures.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I draw my dagger and wait to see what was happening.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A laugh rings out from the clearing, and a figure leaps up into view from the far side of the fallen tree, standing on all fours upon the high point just below the tangled roots. It is a fox, whose long silky fur shines like a solid coat of spun copper in the shaft of greenish sunlight. A tuft of slightly longer fur flops over one ear, giving the fox a most rakish appearance. It does not appear to be the same fox from before, the coloration is different.

"Gentle folk, I give you greetings." A warm masculine voice, and a beautiful tenor at that, coming from a fox makes you blink. The fox inclines his head slightly. "But, alas and woe, for I cannot allow you to continue on your doubtless important business."

Father bear rumbles deep in his chest, "What cause have you for stopping us, O Prince of Cunning?"

"My, my, my, such manners. Why, I am quite overcome," grins the fox. "But not enough to let you go. From my heart, truly, the deepest of condolences."

"What is it that you want, O Prince?"

"Oh, you know me. I never dabble in the accumulation of many excess stuffs like you sleepyheads. I only collect value. Or, in this case, a single thing of value."

Mother bear calls out, "You alone cannot stop us!"

The fox sits back on his haunches and curls his tail around his forepaws. "True, very true... that is, if I was alone." He jerks his head. Out of the shadows surrounding you arise loud warbling howls and hoots. The bears flinch reflexively. A number of forms step into view in the clearing and there is a rustling of the bushes to either side and behind you.

Monkeys. Monkeys clad in cute little suits of black, green and deep brown-well suited to blending into the deep forest-accented with blackened armor plates at strategic locations. Monkeys whose suits practically bristle with tiny objects of all sorts. Monkeys holding cute little weapons. Little weapons that have something dark smeared upon them. Suddenly, they are not so cute.
    Last edited by nijineko; 09-14-2008 at 11:19 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't help but snicker at the monkeys for a brief second but now was not the time for jokes apparently and I quickly turn back to being serious. Not being much of a fighter though I keep close to the bears. Unfortunately I can no longer hold in my laughter and burst out laughing.

"Forgive me." I say, trying not to giggle more but not succeeding.
    Last edited by Arahira; 09-15-2008 at 01:10 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The fox sitting up on the tree seems a bit non-plussed. One of the monkeys in front of you does something with his hands and all the monkeys take a step back, though none lower their weapons, nor relaxes the stance. Mother bear sniffs a few times and softly mutters something under her breath that sounds like "...paralytic on the blades...." The hand-wiggling monkey turns and address the fox.

"Bears three was the job,
    Like the oak leaf among pine,
    A human intrudes."

A soft hooting is heard from the monkeys around you.
    Last edited by nijineko; 09-26-2008 at 02:29 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I put my hand to my mouth and feign surprise.

"Job? So he's paying you but only paid you to take out three?! Uh oh. He'll have to pay you more now." I smirk."Provided he even intended to pay you in the first place."

Last edited by Arahira; 09-23-2008 at 10:50 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The fox has a slight edge in his voice, "By the Spirits Above! Don't be so literal, I hired you to do the job; it was for three, so just capture these three!"

The monkeys blink solemly. The other three standing in the line with the one that spoke raise their hands and one shades the eyes, the next shades the ears, and the one on the other side of the spokesmonkey shades the mouth.

The fox mutters, "Oh for the love of..." and hangs his head, his tail swishing back and forth violently. He glances up into the branches and after a moment absently gnaws between two toes of his forepaw. Finally he raises his head and speaks....

"The job was for three,
    Here they are before you all,
    You'll take them right now!"

Downloads
    Uploads

Last edited by Arahira; 10-02-2008 at 11:06 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The spokesmonkey winces slightly, and bows his head briefly.

"The winds of change blow,
    Ice shatters, thaws, and flows,
    Your words are water."

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wonder if the monkeys even knew why they had been hired. I had to some how make them think against the fox.

"So many monkeys
    Only three of us is there
    What purpose for this?"

I ask in hopes to have the monkeys clue in and think about this situation.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The fox stares at you in surprise. The line of monkeys facing the fox turn around and look uncertainly at the three of you. The bears point at you. The monkeys regard you with a faint sense of amazement.

The spokesmonkey takes a single step towards you.

"The robin sweetly,
    Sings a song, the jay copies,
    Which then shall you prove?"

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast