Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Variorum of Victoria: Chapter the First: A Twisted Schema - Page 9
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Variorum of Victoria: Chapter the First: A Twisted Schema

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    * Listen checkArahira rolls some dice *
    Last edited by Arahira; 01-27-2013 at 05:28 PM.

Dice Result History - [Hide]
    01-27-2013 05:25 PM
    [COLOR=#99cc66][FONT=comic sans ms][B]Listen check[/B][/FONT][/COLOR]Arahira rolls some dice: 1d20 (7)+ 2 (2) = 9

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There is a sudden rush of hot, dry, acrid wind that billows off the road, and a very tall shadowy object emerges from behind some obscuring trunks. It is accompanied by a teeth-jarring discordant multi-part hum and a rush of grit and dust thrown stingingly against you. The object is floating in the air, looming even larger than the last construct. There is a deafening BLAT of a basso sound whereupon the far upper portion of the object articulates and appears to bend slightly and regard you and the monkeys. Another even deeper sound is emitted and the area around you is bathed in multiple erie and harsh rippling blue-white cones of light which swing back and forth. The light obscures the details of the object as effectively as the shadows had a moment before.

Most of the monkeys react with near panic, attempting to hide themselves in the shadows of the trees. The rest look to you for your reaction.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    I hold my arms up and turn slightly away as I'm sprayed with the stinging grit and dust. My first thoughts are 'What now?' as the construct before me takes shape. If the lights cause me no harm then I take a quick look around at the monkeys before looking back up at the construct and waiting, patiently but ready for whatever was to come next. I'm hoping nothing does as there isn't much left in me from the last fight.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The lights are blindingly bright, but seem to have no effect other than illumination. After a pause that feels quite long, there is a creaking sound from the construct, then an explosive puff or air. With a popping sound, a large net appears nearly in front of your face, spreading out to snag you and a large number of your group. The net constricts automatically, bundling you firmly against a mass of hooting and screeching fur and the strands of a tough and unyielding substance.

The lights continue to pan back and forth jerkily. After a pause, there is the sound of several of those beam of light weapons discharging and the cries of some of the monkeys. Then another BLAT of basso sound so intense that you are stunned for a short time. When you come to, it is to the feel of a sickening sensation of being dragged and bounced behind the floating construct. The construct lurches into the air lifting the bundle off the ground, is thrown off balance by the swinging net, staggers and loses elevation, dropping the net back onto the ribbon to drag along for a short distance before repeating. This broken form of progress is accompanied by relatively soft basso blats... sounding almost like complaining or cursing. You are pretty sure that some of the noises the monkeys are making are roughly the same sort of emoting.

The ribbon pierces straight through the terrain, ignoring trees, hills, and gullies. During your brief airborne moments, you are able to catch glimpses ahead and behind. Behind, the dim solitude of the forest, unending rows of tree trunks, and the foul smelling black ribbon. Ahead, a brilliant shaft of sunlight pierces the gloom. As you approach you can make out a depression, a large circular valley open on one side where the crumbling ribbon vaults a deep gorge with a faint glint of water below. The trees climb the outsides of the valley walls and spread their branches wide over the valley, but not quite roofing it over. In this thin area in the center a shaft of sunlight falls down upon the crumbling and blasted remains of buildings, surrounded by dead and scorched ground. In fact, the entire inside of the valley is barren of all life save the roots of the trees venturing down from the rims of the valley walls. In fact, it suddenly reminds you of nothing so much as a blister or wound in the ground itself with the trees attempting to cover it like a scab.

Crossing the bridge is harrowing, the impact of being bounced as you cross dislodges numerous small sections of the ribbon which crumble and fall down the deep, dark, narrow gorge. Some of the trees even straddle the gorge forming natural bridges and preserving the canopy. The buildings huddle in the shade of a structure of metal webbing holding up a roof of a darkly gleaming and cracked material, as if hiding from the sunlight. They seem to made of some kind of crumbling stone with metal bones sticking out from broken sections. The windows gape open and empty, but have glistening falls of something like water caught in mid splash and solidified running down the walls beneath each opening.

Behind the stone buildings there is a massive bulk of shadow, but you are unable to get much of a glimpse before you are hauled off to the left. In front of the buildings there is an area surrounded by those odd slender pillars that formed a fence near your first construct encounter. This area appears to be a natural setting in miniature, though no animals can be seen. One of the buildings adjoins this enclosed area and it is to this building that you are dragged. At a sound from the construct, a segmented rust door slowly and painfully squeals its way up revealing darkness inside broken only by small blinking lights. The net is dropped with trailing rope inside the darkened opening and the floating construct lurches away, leaning slightly off center, bringing relief from the discordant whine. A still silence descends, broken only by the pained groans.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    I groan along with the monkeys once the machine stops and just lay there for a moment wishing I had turned and run instead, though then I'd probably be dead instead of just bruised and scratched. I slowly sit up and check on the monkeys that got scooped up along with me and make sure they're okay before attempting to check out my surroundings.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You have a fine close up view of lots of fur, some clothing, a few elbows, knees, and toes, and some of the metallic netting as a bonus. You are prodded and poked as the monkeys attempt to likewise reorient themselves. Your attention is drawn by the cable trailing into the dark opening as it twitches. Concentrating, you can hear metallic noises coming from within as the cable twitches several more times. The metallic noises get louder and more prolonged with each twitch of the cable. The cable suddenly goes taunt, and the net begins slowly sliding into the opening, knocking most everyone over again. The darkness swallows you.
    Last edited by nijineko; 07-29-2013 at 05:37 PM.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789