Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 126

Thread: Variorum of Victoria: Chapter the First: A Twisted Schema

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,188
    Blog Entries
    42
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Time crawls by, silently, slowly, broken only by the sound of your breath and movement.

    Suddenly, the spokesmonkey speaks softly,


    "We must tip the wall,
    To summon evil to fall,
    You move last of all
    ."

    "After us, cling fast, pull hard,
    To change dark past, and fate's card
    ."


    He then turns and exchanges with the other monkeys some rhymed cadences which you do not understand the meaning of, but can clearly follow the rhythm and distinguish the similar sounds ending each group of utterances. This seems to be passed down the line each way, until all have heard it. The monkeys gather into a group, and the spokesmonkey pulls out a collection of thin twigs. These are plucked from his hand, one-by-one by each monkey in turn, until there is only one left in his hand.

    Each monkey glances at the twig, and then reforms a line. You notice some comparison of twigs and shuffling of places. It seems that some sort of randomly selected order has been established. Finally there are only two gaps left in the line of monkeys before the wall. One directly in the center, and one somewhat down on the right.

    You notice that the center gap is in front of a slightly more intact portion of the wall than most of the rest. The stacked stones come to just below your shoulders. The spokesmonkey steps over to you and pats your arm reassuringly. He then goes over and speaks quietly to several of the monkeys on either side of the gap in the center. Finally he leads you to the center gap and nudges you into line with the rest.


    "When broken is wall,
    Evil comes, but it must fall,
    Beware sing-song call
    ."

    "Three evils, demons will crawl,
    Destroy ere they kill us al
    l."

    "Magic, weapon, heart,
    Whatsoever thou doth have,
    Give all, keep not part
    ."

    "Of thy self, make sword, shield,
    Prepare now, that thou shan't yield
    ."


    So saying, he takes the final place in line. All the monkeys begin a slow dance in place, making various gestures with hands and tails... some kind of martial movements. As they do so, a faint glow begins to collect around them, visible in the dimness.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    106
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I look at the spokes monkey with concern but then look back at the wall and preapre for whatever is coming through. I had no idea what I was going to face or how well I'd be able to fight it, I was just a kid after all.

    I look around to see what I could do. There were 30 monkeys, no way I could cast that many spells. Looks like they could take care of themselves anyway.

    I cast Armour enhancement, greater, Bull strength and Cat's Grace on myself, stuff my ears with something (the monkey's having mentioned something about singing) then turn back to the wall and do as the monkeys asked. When it's my turn to pull down the wall I do.
    Last edited by Arahira; 03-24-2009 at 08:50 PM.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,188
    Blog Entries
    42
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Your dress and belt and gloves make fine targets for your infusions, you can feel the protections and enhancements settle into place around you as you temporarily enchant your various articles of clothing.

    Around you, you can just make out a dim golden glow taking shape around the monkeys as they finish their preparations. Some sort of protection, you feel. Then at some unseen signal, the monkeys at the farthest ends of the line reach out and grasp the wall, followed in rapid succession by each monkey in turn, ending with you.

    There is a sudden crackling sound, and a sharp unpleasant odor. Lightning fountains at the ends of the lines partially sliding off the golden aura around the monkeys. It races from the ends towards you, but seems to be weakening as it comes... Each monkey in turn absorbs some of the discharge, muscles locked, pulling as hard as they can.

    The lightning and the smell of scorched fur reaches you about the same time that the wall starts to move. Its bends slowly, leaning outward, and sparks race between the stones. You feel the enchantments you laid shunting some of the lightning aside, and a sudden warmth on your forehead seems to be pushing aside some more. The rest burns up your arms and down your legs.

    A harsh crackling sound comes from the wall. The lightning ebbs and pulses flickering uncertainly between targets, surging unexpectedly. One monkey falls to a sudden blast. Then three more are thrown clear, falling limply to the ground, unconscious or dead. Some of the stones of the wall crumble and shatter. Several more monkeys sink to the ground. You see something that is not stone, a slender post of some strange material embedded in between the stones.

    You and the monkeys on either side of you heave your combined weight against your portion of the wall. There is a sudden piercing shriek of lightning, and you see a join in the post suddenly part. You have a momentary glimpse of oddly colored lights shining and reflecting off of threads-of-metal inside the post. The threads snap and part and everything disappears in a flash which throws you back through the air. You feel the impact of yourself striking and rolling, but it is a distant thing to your over-stressed senses.

    You come to a stop laying on your back. There are bright spots in your vision, slowly fading. You don't hear anything.

    * Electrical damage from the initial reaction of the wall, lessened by the intervening monkeys, and the forest blessing. *

    * Electrical damage from the secondary reaction of the wall to the damage it is taking, again lessened, but with fewer monkeys to help. *

    * Impact from being thrown by the explosion. *

    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    04-16-2009 09:12 PM
    Electrical damage from the initial reaction of the wall, lessened by the intervening monkeys, and the forest blessing.: 1d6 (6)
    Electrical damage from the secondary reaction of the wall to the damage it is taking, again lessened, but with fewer monkeys to help.: 2d6 (2,4 = 6)
    Impact from being thrown by the explosion.: 1d6 (5)
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    106
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    25/42

    I pull whatever I'd stuffed in my ears out and listen
    . I also look around the best I can through the fading spots in my sight. Whatever I see, or can't see, I stand and prepare to fight since that was what I had been asked to do. I only hope I can succeed.

    * Listen *

    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    04-18-2009 11:40 AM
    Arahira rolls some dice: 1d20 (13) + 2 (listen) (0) = 13

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,188
    Blog Entries
    42
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    At first, there is only the sounds of the forest, and the occasional groan from a monkey. Those monkeys who seem to be recovering, move to tend the monkeys who are still prone. Where the wall was, is now only a scorched and blackened line in the earth. The stones have been thrown clear, contributing to the injuries.

    As you look around, listening, you see that the further sections of the wall, where no one was standing, seem somewhat intact, though they also bear scorch marks. Suddenly you hear the sound of something approaching from the other side of the wall. It has a peculiar sound, kind of a *hum-scrape-THUMP!* sound.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    106
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I move closer so I can see whatever it is that's making the sound.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,188
    Blog Entries
    42
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    You move closer, crouching behind a tree near to the wall. The few recovered monkeys sink to the ground swiftly at the sound, grasping at moss and stuffing it into their ears. For a few seconds you worry that something happened to them, but then you see one of the monkeys looking at you. He moves his eyes to the side, towards the sound a few times. Then he winks, and closes his eyes.

    Before you have a chance to reply, you see something moving in the shadows across the wall. A large something. It moves jerkily, and it pauses every so often. The pause is accompanied by a *hum*. There is a *scrape* sound as a large limb moves, then a *THUMP* as the limb plunges into the ground and pulls the something forward.

    A few repetitions of this brings it close enough to see. The torso consists of a tall metallic barrel of some sort, balanced upright between two bulky and oddly moving feet, that seem to sprout directly from the left and right sides of the bottom of the barrel. Streaks of discoloration darken the metallic surface. Atop the barrel is a roundish head, badly deformed, with a cluster of malevolently glowing eyes more on the right than the left. Multiple tendrils or hair sprout stiffly from its cranium in a random pattern.

    But most disturbing of all is an open cavity in the chest in which is partially embedded a humanoid figure. Rods are attached to the arms, and a half-sphere is attached to the head, all of which have thick tendrils leading back into the depths of the monstrosity. The humanoid is thin and spindly, jerkily scanning the area... a movement of the arm is mimicked by the monstrosity to drag it forward. It looks in your direction and a chill goes down your spine. The humanoid is a skeleton pierced with all manner thin rods, and from deep within the skull a sullen multi-colored glow matches that of the monstrosity's deformed eyes.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    106
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Seeing the monkeys were fine I turn my attention back to whatever was making the noise. My first thought when I see the thing is 'Neat I wonder how long it would take me to build one of those' then 'I wonder if they'll let me take it apart and look at it' then I shake my head. Had to focus. Fight now, I could play with toys later.

    Some how I had to get to the driver. If I disconnected him the whole thing would stop. The problem was getting up to the driver. I search for possible ways to get to the driver.

    * Search *

    * Spot *

    * Know.Eng/Arch *


    (I rolled all three cause I wasn't sure what I would be using. Just use the ones you think I would need. Awesome critter by the way.) (Stupid dice roller thing >.< why don't they just fix it and I should be able to delete my own posts.)
    Last edited by Arahira; 06-10-2009 at 10:13 PM.

    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    06-10-2009 10:04 PM
    Arahira rolls some dice: 1d20 (8) + 10 search (0) = 8
    Arahira rolls some dice: 1d20 (5) + 3 spot (0) = 5
    Arahira rolls some dice: 1d20 (11) + 10 know.eng (0) / arch (0) = 11
    06-10-2009 10:13 PM
    Search: 1d20 (12) + 10 (10) = 22
    Spot: 1d20 (16) + 3 (3) = 19
    Know.Eng/Arch: 1d20 (8) + 10 (10) = 18

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,188
    Blog Entries
    42
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    You ponder how to get to the driver as you study its movements and construction. You notice that there seem to be shards of something clear still clinging to the front of the cavity, possibly the remains of some sort of clear cover over the cavity. You imagine that you should be able to reach inside, so long as you can avoid the shards. The large arm-like limbs of the construction are hinged and jointed in such a way as to allow the upper and lower portions to fold tightly together, and indeed, you can see a long narrow cavity where they might fit under the shoulder joint of the nearer arm.

    The construction adjusts its position slightly, the left arm digging into the ground to pull it around. You note that the arms end in heavy claws, well suited to digging or cutting. The right 'foot' appears to be constructed of jointed metal strips that wraps around a series of rotating pegs... the left appears to be non-functional. The malformed head atop the barrel rotates back and forth, apparently scanning the now-destroyed wall. It is still about 15 to 20-ish feet on the other side of the wall.

    You decide that the arms will be a potential danger in any close approach. But it is possible that the restricted movement and non-functional left 'foot' might prove advantageous in any approach.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    106
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I attempt to get in and up to it unseen if I can. I go for left side.

    * Hide *

    * Move Silently *


    ( I don't actually know if I have to roll these or what else to roll, let me know what I do need to roll if I'm wrong.)

    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    06-11-2009 03:42 AM
    Hide: 1d20 (20) + 4 (4) = 24
    Move Silently: 1d20 (8) + 4 (4) = 12

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,188
    Blog Entries
    42
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    You keep low to the ground and move slowly away from your tree. You seem not to be noticed. Unexpectedly, a twig snaps beneath you. The thing stops its inspection of the wall, and moves a lurch-drag closer and scans the area beyond the wall. The thing must have decent hearing. The monkeys continue playing dead.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    106
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I stay hidden and stand still until it seems to look for something else to scan then try again.

    * Hide *

    * Move Silently *

    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    06-14-2009 12:31 AM
    Hide: 1d20 (13) + 4 (4) = 17
    Move Silently: 1d20 (12) + 4 (4) = 16

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,188
    Blog Entries
    42
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    You managed to move maybe ten feet before making a noise, so you are part way to the wall, which you will need to cross somehow, and away from any trees. You join the monkeys in playing dead. The thing finishes it's inspection of the far side of the wall, and makes various ear grating and painful noises for a brief time, much worse than nails on a chalkboard. The thing appears to focus on one monkey and one of it's off-center oculars begins to glow an ominous red, rapidly gaining in intensity.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    106
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I have no idea what that light was going to do to that monkey but it couldn't be good.

    "Hey!" I yell to get its' attention and stand up."I'm your target freak!"

    If that's enough too get its' attention I prepare to dodge any attacks. If not then I quickly pick up a rock and throw it at it then run towards the wall and inside so it follows me.



  15. #75
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,188
    Blog Entries
    42
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    It is slow in responding to your yell, your rock is mid-air when a dark red beam bursts from the ocular. But the reflexive turn of the monstrous head causes the beam to waver across the ground between you and the monkey. You see the monkey jump slightly as the beam barely misses, and you try to dodge the beam as it comes dangerously close to you.

    {{{reflex save, please}}}
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Similar Threads

  1. [DM / Player Tools] Chapter One Cultures
    By tesral in forum Campaign Resources
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-01-2008, 02:39 PM
  2. [DM / Player Tools] Chapter Four -- Character Classes
    By tesral in forum Campaign Resources
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-15-2008, 11:07 AM
  3. [White Wolf] New Chapter in the V:TES Story
    By PnP News Bot in forum News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-18-2007, 05:43 PM
  4. Eberron: Shadows of Stormreach: Chapter 6
    By PnP News Bot in forum News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-06-2006, 10:29 PM
  5. Eberron: Shadows of Stormreach: Chapter 5
    By PnP News Bot in forum News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-06-2006, 10:29 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •