Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37

Thread: Online Gaming????

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Littleton
    Age
    27
    Posts
    609
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Online Gaming????

    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I am really confused I have heard of this thing called online gaming, how do I do it, I want to play too!!!!!!!!! So how do I get started

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,174
    Blog Entries
    41
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    =D so glad you asked! i'll be happy to help. ^^

    online gaming here at penandpapergames generally takes one of two formats. there is rp via chat, and rp via play-by-post. since (almost) all of our games are tabletop-based, we use various softwares to emulate that.

    rp via chat: everyone uses a chat client, whether it is the flashchat here at pnpg, yim, msnm, irc, icq, aim, or something else. at the risk of stating the obvious, everyone uses the same chat client. everyone takes turns typing in what they would otherwise be saying around the table. pros-real time, fairly quick paced. cons-still have to sync schedules, not as fast as around the table.

    getting fancy: some people use voice chat instead. this speeds things up a bit, especially where some members of your group(s) do not type very fast. not as good as face to face, but it works in a pinch. and if everyone has enough bandwidth, then you can step that up one more notch and set up a video chat. pros-almost as good as round the table, quick. cons-can't share snacks, still have to sync schedules, almost but not quite.

    more getting fancy: shared whiteboard programs, like gametable, allow people to have real-time shared maps that everyone can change and everyone can see when someone does something. great for games where determining where everyone is in relation to what is important. being able to see a map enhances play. there are many different programs to choose from. some are free like gametable, others are not, but have some very nice features.



    rp via play-by-post: the dm contacts farcaster here at pnpg. farcaster will set up a special sub-forum where the dm is the mod over in the play-by-post section. everyone posts what they would say. pros-takes very little time out of a given day, and there is no schedule pressure. great for those groups who can never all get together at the same time. cons-S.L.O.W., one round can take a week or more depending on how many players there are.

    maps and the like are typically done via in-line or externally hosted images.



    i hope this little overview clears things up a bit. feel free to pester me with more questions if you need to. =D
    Last edited by nijineko; 08-15-2008 at 11:27 PM.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Redlands
    Posts
    89
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by nijineko View Post
    =D so glad you asked! i'll be happy to help. ^^

    online gaming here at penandpapergames generally takes one of two formats. there is rp via chat, and rp via play-by-post. since (almost) all of our games are tabletop-based, we use various softwares to emulate that.

    rp via chat: everyone uses a chat client, whether it is the flashchat here at pnpg, yim, msnm, irc, icq, aim, or something else. at the risk of stating the obvious, everyone uses the same chat client. everyone takes turns typing in what they would otherwise be saying around the table. pros-real time, fairly quick paced. cons-still have to sync schedules, not as fast as around the table.

    getting fancy: some people use voice chat instead. this speeds things up a bit, especially where some members of your group(s) do not type very fast. not as good as face to face, but it works in a pinch. and if everyone has enough bandwidth, then you can step that up one more notch and set up a video chat. pros-almost as good as round the table, quick. cons-can't share snacks, still have to sync schedules, almost but not quite.

    more getting fancy: shared whiteboard programs, like gametable, allow people to have real-time shared maps that everyone can change and everyone can see when someone does something. great for games where determining where everyone is in relation to what is important. being able to see a map enhances play. there are many different programs to choose from. some are free like gametable, others are not, but have some very nice features.



    rp via play-by-post: the dm contacts farcaster here at pnpg. farcaster will set up a special sub-forum where the dm is the mod over in the play-by-post section. everyone posts what they would say. pros-takes very little time out of a given day, and there is no schedule pressure. great for those groups who can never all get together at the same time. cons-S.L.O.W., one round can take a week or more depending on how many players there are.

    maps and the like are typically done via in-line or externally hosted images.



    i hope this little overview clears things up a bit. feel free to pester me with more questions if you need to. =D
    I'm was interested in playing online with the new tools wizard is suppose to bring out.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rochester
    Posts
    145
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Chi View Post
    I am really confused I have heard of this thing called online gaming, how do I do it, I want to play too!!!!!!!!! So how do I get started
    i do Solo online if you would like to try Post via Chat program. i use Yahoo Instant Messanger for this but if you are interested in playing a 3.5 solo you can throw me a PM, we can play when ever we have free time.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,174
    Blog Entries
    41
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Briarthorn View Post
    I'm was interested in playing online with the new tools wizard is suppose to bring out.
    personally, i have been consistantly disappointed with most everything online that wotc has come out with to date. i have a list of tools that i use, and would be happy to share. if nothing else, it'll give you more options to work with while you wait. ^^
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Redlands
    Posts
    89
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by nijineko View Post
    personally, i have been consistantly disappointed with most everything online that wotc has come out with to date. i have a list of tools that i use, and would be happy to share. if nothing else, it'll give you more options to work with while you wait. ^^

    That would be really cool of you.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,174
    Blog Entries
    41
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    niji's list of tools:

    mapping: gametable. why? simplicity. i use other programs for chat and die-rolling, so all i need is something to represent map positions. simple features, easy to use, virtually no learning curve. handy pointy hand (space bar when focus is on map window). java-based, so i can run multiple instances. doesn't use up too much memory overall. (few hundred mb if you have a lot of pogs and underlays. less otherwise.)

    others i would recommend: maptool, battlegrounds.



    text chat: crystalballlite. why? because it is one of the best p2p die rolling programs in existence, and it happens to have text chat features. see below.

    others i would recommend: none, really. but there are quite a few out there that work just fine.



    voice chat: skype, gizmo, ventrillo. why? they all can handle multiple person conference voice chat. and they are cross platform compatible. and free. ^^ the first two can handle video chat too.

    others i would recommend: don't have any for this one, either. but then, i'm happy enough with the above three that i haven't looked around much recently.



    dice programs: crystalballlite. hands down, no exceptions. why? aside from the fact that i'm on the beta team for this one (never hurts)... it is an awesome program! one of the best dice rolling programs i've ever seen, and i've tried lots. it's cross platform. it has rows of buttons to save common rolls. you can adjust how many rows. you can drag and drop your buttons. you can roll on tables. you can roll conditionals. you have variables to play with. you can use branching if/then/else roll statements. you can have it play sound effects as part of your die rolls. it can share dice sets and sound files with each other. you can call rolls from other connected players. private rolls. a roll on a table can call other tables. you can provoke a mass roll from everyone for a particular thing (spot check?) and it will prompt anyone who doesn't have that particular die button set up to do so. works over local lan or over the internet or both simultaneously.... should i go on? there is more. ^^

    others i would recommend: not in the foreseeable future!

    .
    Last edited by nijineko; 08-17-2008 at 01:20 PM.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Redlands
    Posts
    89
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by nijineko View Post
    niji's list of tools:

    mapping: gametable. why? simplicity. i use other programs for chat and die-rolling, so all i need is something to represent map positions. simple features, easy to use, virtually no learning curve. handy pointy hand (space bar when focus is on map window). java-based, so i can run multiple instances. doesn't use up too much memory overall. (few hundred mb if you have a lot of pogs and underlays. less otherwise.)

    others i would recommend: maptool, battlegrounds.



    text chat: crystalballlite. why? because it is one of the best p2p die rolling programs in existence, and it happens to have text chat features. see below.

    others i would recommend: none, really. but there are quite a few out there that work just fine.



    voice chat: skype, gizmo, ventrillo. why? they all can handle multiple person conference voice chat. and they are cross platform compatible. and free. ^^ the first two can handle video chat too.

    others i would recommend: don't have any for this one, either. but then, i'm happy enough with the above three that i haven't looked around much recently.



    dice programs: crystalballlite. hands down, no exceptions. why? aside from the fact that i'm on the beta team for this one (never hurts)... it is an awesome program! one of the best dice rolling programs i've ever seen, and i've tried lots. it's cross platform. it has rows of buttons to save common rolls. you can adjust how many rows. you can drag and drop your buttons. you can roll on tables. you can roll conditionals. you have variables to play with. you can use branching if/then/else roll statements. you can have it play sound effects as part of your die rolls. it can share dice sets and sound files with each other. you can call rolls from other connected players. private rolls. a roll on a table can call other tables. you can provoke a mass roll from everyone for a particular thing (spot check?) and it will prompt anyone who doesn't have that particular die button set up to do so. works over local lan or over the internet or both simultaneously.... should i go on? there is more. ^^

    others i would recommend: not in the foreseeable future!

    .
    Thanks! I knew a few people on the site who will love this information.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,020
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    GameTable has claimed that you'll be able to make a very customizable avatar for your character as a virtual "mini", and the demos seem to back that up:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWZ2WdeTo1M

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Littleton
    Age
    27
    Posts
    609
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdar View Post
    GameTable has claimed that you'll be able to make a very customizable avatar for your character as a virtual "mini", and the demos seem to back that up:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWZ2WdeTo1M
    Wow that is so cool and probably even better than the real mini's

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Waxahachie
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,498
    Blog Entries
    1
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    There are also things called MU* (MUD, MUX, MOO, MUSH, MUCK, etc)(short for Multi User *). They are online worlds that you use a telnet client such as SimpleMU or ZMud to log into them. They are themed environments that allow you to log in, take a Feature Character (like Jean Grey on a Marvel Themed MU*) or create an original character, so that you can engage other players in real time text based role play.

    For example. I happen to own www.jlu.mushpark.com . That's a wiki / web page that details the characters and events that take place on my Justice League Unlimited MUX site ( 216.93.240.100 Port:2004 ).

    The learning curve is a little more than standard Instant Messenger as there are simple commands one needs to learn to be able to communicate and pose, but for the most part, it's a huge community and thousands of sites that span variable genres from sci-fi, fantasy, super heroic, cuthulhu, period, worlds of darkness, lord of the rings, furry, D&D, and things I cannot even imagine.
    "And then you wake up."

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,174
    Blog Entries
    41
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    ah, the good old mu*'s. ^^ i use to hang on animemuck a lot, still drop by on occasion. ^^

    for your miniatures experience, i suggest that you download the free and updated with all of the latest d&d minis: Vassal. (three files, one the client/server package, the other two are the modules for d&d minis. stored in two different sections of the site, btw. )


    and please note that the gametable i referenced is the original one, not wotc copyright-infringement one. =D
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vaughan
    Age
    24
    Posts
    100
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Or you can get all those programs in one with Fantasy Grounds.
    www.fantasygrounds.com

    Unlike WoC's system where you'd have to pay a huge monthly fee that makes it highway robbery to play you can just pay a one time small fee to use the FG II program or if your sly/cheap you can torrent Fantasy Grounds I and crack it.

    II is the same as I except it looks nicer from all I an tell. Anyways FGI has dice, maps, minis, anything else you could ever want; and to top it off it's the most user friendly RPG tabletop I've ever seen.

    Anyways didn't see it mentioned here and thought you guys might like it.


    Supporters tend to argue with me that roleplaying is separate from the system and can be strongly supported in any game. I always encourage them to write a history for their iron token in monopoly and discuss the motivations for passing go.
    - Engar

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Littleton
    Age
    27
    Posts
    609
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I am happy to say I am learning the online stuff well I am starting my first online charecter.
    Chi-Halfling

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,174
    Blog Entries
    41
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    awesome! do keep us posted!
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Looking for Online Game
    By Tarak2 in forum Introductions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-24-2009, 07:48 PM
  2. Im Online Baby!!
    By victim666 in forum Introductions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-10-2008, 01:09 PM
  3. [Podcast} The Groovecast - Devoted to Online Gaming
    By Thayan in forum General RPG / Industry Discussions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-01-2008, 02:56 PM
  4. Online Gaming Group using OpenRPg and SKype seekign players
    By rbaseel in forum Find or Advertise Games in Your Area
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-01-2007, 11:39 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •