Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Pacifist class attack powers

ronpyatt is offline Dallas Organizer & Admin Golden d20 Award
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pacifist class attack powers

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    After playing with 4e power creation, I got to thinking about creating a pacifist class that is playable in 4e. Since the rules are so combat focused, especially when at every odd level you gain an attack power, I thought that maybe there are some attack powers that could reflect a pacifist's approach to combat - aside from running away or staying out of it.

*Indecision - Encounter Power - Int vs Will - Range 5 - Target is dazed and takes 2d6 psychic damage from an inability to decide.
    *Passive Aggression - At-Will - Dex vs AC - Using the targets own aggression against the target 1d6 + Int psychic damage.
    *Stop This Nonsense - Daily Power - Cha vs Will - Range 10 burst 5 - Your commanding voice causes targets to pause. Each target takes 2d8 psychic damage and is stunned until the end of your next turn or until attacked.

Can you think of any?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Those sound good, but why would a pacifist hang out with typical adventurers? They kill a dozen things a day.

Apart from that, a Pacifist would be more interested in helping allies and peacefully ending combats, rather than direct damage- so, Leader role, with healing, status ailments, and spells like Sleep and Banish that defeat foes without killing them.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good points. It would be up to the player and settings on why a pacifist would be hanging out with violent types. Perhaps to change the world and make it a better safer place, lead by example?

I was thinking along those lines with a Leader role and with healing. I thought about basing it off the cleric. There is the option to have your attacks to be non-lethal. So the damage can be assumed to take the targets out without killing them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ronpyatt View Post
    Good points. It would be up to the player and settings on why a pacifist would be hanging out with violent types. Perhaps to change the world and make it a better safer place, lead by example?

I was thinking along those lines with a Leader role and with healing. I thought about basing it off the cleric. There is the option to have your attacks to be non-lethal. So the damage can be assumed to take the targets out without killing them.
    I guess a "Pacifist" will be some kind of mix of Enchanter (Charm -Sleep-Command) / Illusionist. May have some "Heal" powers, also perhaps a "Martial Artist Type" that "Stun" instead of Kill. Sounds like a Eastern Monk Type Sage that passes judgment and applies justice. Actually my propossal sounds more like a Jedi!
    Saluti
    Carlos

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think it's a good start. Playing through it a few times will really tell ya if it's too little or too much.

Why would a pacifist go on adventures? Well, the word "pacifist" isn't all that rigid. It can mean someone who absolutely refuses to participate in violence, or someone who is opposed to it and won't use it as a first solution, but can be forced into it (Jedi is a great example Dimthar).

That's all on the rolepaly side though.
    --
    Grimwell

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I was debating on what keywords to apply, but you're right. Power source would heavily influence this type of class. I also think shadow might work very well, but the Warlord class has a commanding voice that throws around martial attacks, moves combatants, and heals. So, it would not have to be necessarily shadow or arcana. A pacifist class would have to be called something other than pacifist class.

Jedi? So, someone has already done it!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like a great idea - some other powers might be 'disarm,' 'stop violent act' or 'convert staff/wand to flower.' When I think of pacifist, the first image that comes to mine is the unknown Chinese student standing up to a tank in Tienanmen, which might give some thought to why a pacifist would be hanging out with adventurers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There is a scene from the Gandhi movie that deeply marked my mind. It's this confrontation scene where an anti-riot brigade is clubbing one after another rows of Indian protesters, and still they stoicly advance again and again without fighting back.

Maybe some form a power/ability could model a similar inner strength in voluntarly putting oneself in danger and not fighting back, combining a partial resistance to pain and an "eye opening moment" for the violent foe. Might do no good against a goblin who won't identify with you as an alter ego, but when attacked by a potentially friendly enemy who's only obeying orders...
    Au gibet noir, manchot aimable, dansent, dansent les paladins
    Les maigres paladins du diable les squelettes de Saladins.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There should also be some sort of power over the attacker, the shame of attacking the unarmed, unless the attacker finds it humorous - oh, I guess that covers just about everything!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mechanically, it could be resist damage, increases to defense, subtraction to to hit roles, removing marks etc. It seems the charm keyword would have to be the majority of powers, since it does not seem reasonable that a unintelligent creature or construct would be easily influenced by the pacifist powers.

One aspect of the powers (at least encounter or dailies) would be a form of domination, where the target tries to protect the pacifist by taking hits or apply aid other in defense. The Pacifist may also be able to use diplomacy in combat to change attitudes or force a bloodied opponents to surrender (or at least stop fighting).

The only problem with the pacifist PC is that, unless they suffer some sort of penalty, the other members of the group may use the powers of the pacifist offensively to gain advantage.; which might defeat the purpose of the class roleplay wise.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I really like this idea. You should pitch it to DDI for a possible article submission!
    Matt James
    Lead Developer, Vorpal Games
    Follow me on Twitter