Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hack Master

Downloads
    Uploads

Hack Master

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I have been a huge fan of Knights of the dinner table for over 10 years now and have fore awhile been wanting to play Hack Master (4th ed).
    But what i would like to know ,is H.M. just Ad&d 1st and 2nd ed rehased with a humors twist, as it looks, or is it a serious game that took its base from said D&D editions?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's *word for word, including errors, with alot of goodies added in.

I'm a big fan. Some of the extra stuff is usable and some isnt, depends on your DM, party, and game theme.

*Not sure which edition i have, it's up north of me. I'll check next time i'm there. Ive had it for years, though.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    hackmaster is the game for serious hack'n'slash, and for serious sidesplitting.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nijineko View Post
    hackmaster is the game for serious hack'n'slash, and for serious sidesplitting.
    nijineko is right. It's the fight without the fluff. Definitely hack-and-slash all the way.
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoth-Amon View Post
    It's *word for word, including errors, with alot of goodies added in.

I'm a big fan. Some of the extra stuff is usable and some isnt, depends on your DM, party, and game theme.

*Not sure which edition i have, it's up north of me. I'll check next time i'm there. Ive had it for years, though.
    First. In fact the Hackmaster books where the same scenes as on the AD&D books, but a bit earlier.

"Save against Apology" Snerk.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    First. In fact the Hackmaster books where the same scenes as on the AD&D books, but a bit earlier.

"Save against Apology" Snerk.
    Thanks tesral. Your epic-ness level of wisdom has come through once again.

All this talking about HackMaster has gotten me interested in pulling the old books out and starting a campaign once again.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    All this talking about HackMaster has gotten me interested in pulling the old books out and starting a campaign once again.
    I found my old B2 Keep on the Borderlands when I was unpacking last week. I read through it again and love it. I was thinking of running a 4E game of it if I get the chance. I would probably expand things a little. Draw interior maps of the whole keep, profiles of all the NPC's. Maybe add a small hamlet or at least some farms and cottagers. A few more ruins and encounters, and of course redo the map of the caves to make them more tactically challenging. I think it would be cool to do as a community project too, everyone add an NPC or an encounter or something.
    It's as if there are people who play RPGs that don't have computers or something. Seriously, people need to upgrade to 1994 already. - - -TheRedRobedWizard

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kirksmithicus View Post
    I found my old B2 Keep on the Borderlands when I was unpacking last week. I read through it again and love it. I was thinking of running a 4E game of it if I get the chance. I would probably expand things a little. Draw interior maps of the whole keep, profiles of all the NPC's. Maybe add a small hamlet or at least some farms and cottagers. A few more ruins and encounters, and of course redo the map of the caves to make them more tactically challenging. I think it would be cool to do as a community project too, everyone add an NPC or an encounter or something.
    That does sound like fun. I havent played that module since its original release. If i lived closer, id ask for a seat at your gaming table.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoth-Amon View Post

*Not sure which edition i have

There all 4th ed. It was a inside joke since that was the edition that had just been released in the comic.

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow77 View Post
    There all 4th ed. It was a inside joke since that was the edition that had just been released in the comic.
    I seem to vaguely recall something to that effect. It's been a while. Thanks for the info.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kirksmithicus View Post
    b2 was my first official d&d adventure. played at scout camp instead of getting merit badges. when we went into the "caves of the unknown" the dm started drawing up all sorts of weird random stuff. lots of fun going off the map. we all wound up with weird abilities as a result of playing around with random stuff. i mean really, how many people swim to the bottom of a pool and touch the weird unknown glowing stuff, right? and how many people after witnessing the party getting sucked into these odd colored walls decides that since they are all alone left of the party, to touch the one wall no one else has touched yet and share the party's fate?

very good times. ^^
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nijineko View Post
    b2 was my first official d&d adventure. played at scout camp instead of getting merit badges. when we went into the "caves of the unknown" the dm started drawing up all sorts of weird random stuff. lots of fun going off the map. we all wound up with weird abilities as a result of playing around with random stuff. i mean really, how many people swim to the bottom of a pool and touch the weird unknown glowing stuff, right? and how many people after witnessing the party getting sucked into these odd colored walls decides that since they are all alone left of the party, to touch the one wall no one else has touched yet and share the party's fate?

very good times. ^^
    Awesome adventure and i believe my first i ever ran through in its entirety. Ah, the memories.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hackmaster is...like most things in life...what you make of it. I ran a campaign for about a year, and a good time was had by all, though I was houseruling stuff within a month and never used all the rules. I like the humor/attitude, enjoyed the nostalgia, and would happily run it again if I could find the right players (it helps to have a bit of "what the hell" attitude going on both sides of the screen). If there's such a thing as a serious hack'n'slash game, its name is Hackmaster.
    I'm not stupid, I'm not expendable, and I'm not going! (But I'll happily be the GM...)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormhound View Post
    ...If there's such a thing as a serious hack'n'slash game, its name is Hackmaster.
    Hackmaster has 17 variations of the Fireball spell...'nuff said!
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is that counting the Nuclear Winter variation? I don't have my PHB handy...
    I'm not stupid, I'm not expendable, and I'm not going! (But I'll happily be the GM...)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast