Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Home Grown Monsters - Page 5
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Home Grown Monsters

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.

Soulriders

No. Enc.: 0 (2d10)
    Alignment: Chaotic
    Movement: 180' (60') Armor Class: 8
    Hit Dice: 2
    Attacks: Special
    Damage: Special
    Save: L2
    Morale: 7
    Hoard Class: None

The Soulrider is a deviously intelligent, brain-sized, pulsating mass of a creature. A Soulrider has one leering eye and moves about through the use of a set of tentacles on its underside. Soulriders are never encountered singularly; rather they are a nesting society of creatures, which leads directly to the threat they pose.

Because Soulriders are so physically weak, they use their ability of possession to overtake a victim's mind, commanding them to act as their virtual slave -- providing the Soulrider with food and protection. Soulriders will usually enter a village unseen and, over the course of time, will dominate every individual within. Soulriders will also use their metaconcert mutation to coordinate their actions amongst themselves. Once the entire village is dominated, the Soulriders will run the village as hidden slavemasters. PCs may pass through a village without even realizing the entire town is being manipulated by a hidden Soulrider society.

Soulriders are incapable of any degree of attack or defense. If discovered, they will command their thralls to attack on their behalf. A PC may find himself attacked by an entire village once a single Soulrider is discovered. (It's a fair bet that the discovery of one Soulrider means that more are lurking nearby.) Soulriders do have one defensive ability. They have the mutation of quickness, which means that they can lift themselves up onto the tips of their tendrils and skitter away at an incredible rate of speed once discovered or if combat turns against them.

Soulriders thrive on creating larger and stronger communities, as they see strength in numbers. Once a nest of Soulriders hatches a new generation, the village may be overly welcoming to new visitors. Unless on alert, these visitors may become the newest possessed residents of the village.

Mutations: possession, metaconcert, quickness

Soft Serve is offline Cascade Failure FTW Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the Soulriders idea. And art since I'm mentioning it.

Has anyone made a monster like the one in John Carpenter's The Thing?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    what purposes do the soulriders have? what advantage or disadvantage to they represent to those dominated? do they have goals or purposes in harmony or at odds with their hosts? are they purely parasitical and drain some sort of essential resource?

i remember once adapting the garthim from the dark crystal to d&d. they proved to be effective in spooking the players and causing caution in combat. i find that they work best in crystal heavy areas, probably in a campaign with or even based around psionics.

does that count?
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Soft Serve is offline Cascade Failure FTW Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nijineko View Post
    what purposes do the soulriders have? what advantage or disadvantage to they represent to those dominated? do they have goals or purposes in harmony or at odds with their hosts? are they purely parasitical and drain some sort of essential resource?

i remember once adapting the garthim from the dark crystal to d&d. they proved to be effective in spooking the players and causing caution in combat. i find that they work best in crystal heavy areas, probably in a campaign with or even based around psionics.

does that count?
    Aren't the soulriders looking for a basic method of general protection? That and species procreation. At least that is what I gathered, those being basic instincts anyway, it made enough sense to not delve any deeper. If there is more to it though I am definitely curious. Like are they capable of symbiosis as opposed to simply leeching the host? Also think of the possibilities in one as a hyper intelligent major or recurring villain.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    especially if they transmit data through generations. it would be interesting if a particular hive, as it were, shared a collective pool of subconscious knowledge. kill most of them off, and if even one survives, the trauma activates the subconscious link, and that one can reconstruct, or restart another generation with it at the head, and all the memories of the deceased....
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, to be honest I didn't come up with the soulriders myself. They're from a different game entirely. However they can be easily adapted for D&D usage.

From what I can tell from what was written about them, soulriders have just as varied and complex personalities as humans do. Thus, one hive of soulriders might be completely symbiotic with their hosts, while another could be completely parasitic. It depends entirely on the DM.

does that count?
    Yes that counts. Post the stats here if you still have them.

---------- Post added at 04:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 AM ----------

I specifically got the soulrider from www.savageafterworld.blogspot.com.

There's a post apocolyptic rpg on there called Mutant Future, with lots of neet mutants/monsters which could easily be adapted for a D&D campaign.

Here's another one . . .

Fleshmelt

No. Enc.: 1 (1d3)
    Alignment: Neutral
    Movement: 150' (50')
    Armor Class: 6
    Hit Dice: 11
    Attacks: 1 (bite)
    Damage: 2d8
    Save: L9
    Morale: 8
    Hoard Class: None

The Fleshmelt is a huge lizard-like creature found in deep underground caves and caverns. Due to its appearance, it is believed the Fleshmelt is a descendant of the Ancient komodo dragon. It lumbers about on four legs, however, due to its size, it has a faster-than-expected movement rate. Fleshmelts are a deeply subterranean race of creatures. Due to the many generations of living in pitch blackness, Fleshmelts are completely blind, relying only on sound and smell to guide it to its prey. They have not evolved any enhanced senses, but they are fairly accurate with their other senses.

The Fleshmelt primarily attacks with a sharp-tooth-lined mouth, which it uses to bite for 2d8 hit points of damage. But the true danger of a Fleshmelt is from its dermal poison slime. The Fleshmelt's skin secretes the same digestive juices normally found in the stomach. (The Fleshmelt's own skin is obviously immune.) This acidic substance dissolves organic materials such as wood, plant life, and - yes - flesh. Any contact with a Fleshmelt results in 2d8 hit points of burning acidic damage. Unless a save versus poison is then made, this hit point loss will become permanent and should be subtracted from the PC's maximum hit point total. The PC will undoubtedly be stunned as he watches the skin and muscle whither and drip from the point of injury. It is said that the shrieks of agony coming from a dissolving victim also helps the creature locate its prey.

Mutations: sensory deficiency, dermal poison slime (special)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would add a lack of pigment to the critter. If they have been underground long enough to become blind they are likely dead white to clear as well.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    hmmm, i don't, that was a long time ago, but off hand:

according to the first movie and the official adapted book:

dr 10-20/magic and crystal.

high ac (heavily armored)

tend to be slow moving, but capable of surprisingly fast charges. perhaps best represented by a sprint ability or speed bonus during a charge. probably 20 foot movement rate, but 40 during a charge or sprint.

large size. 10' reach.

very heavy.

really high str. (able to knock over trees in a single blow / push).
    con is non-ability due to technically being a construct.
    average dex.
    low wis.
    low int.
    low cha.

racial bonus to listen and spot.

tentacle based movement - ignores rough terrain penalty, can also be used as a crude grapple or manipulator. (can pin opponents)

trample ability.

large grasping hand with three fingers, large claw with blade on outer edge. bludgeoning and slashing. which limb is left and right varies from garthim to garthim. two slam attacks, or a slam attack and a slashing strike or may grapple twice in a round, once with each primary limb instead of attacking, or they may grapple with one limb and attack with the other. damage probably between 2d6 and 4d6 per weapon. claw hand should count as two handed weapon when calculating damage.

multi-jointed limbs - can reach anywhere on its body with either limb, including blind spots on its back. the sole exception is directly behind it down by the "tail" area, but the tentacles can grab anything it becomes aware of even there. garthim will often spin to check around it.

improved trip.

improved bull rush.

special attack - can make a free trip or grapple attempt once per adjacent opponent, each round with the motive tentacles underneath. typically will trip first and then grapple prone opponents. if the garthim moves no more than 20 in a round, then it can maintain an existing grapple without any additional penalty, dragging the grappled prey with it. (must still succeed the grapple check as normal.)

special quality - empathic cruelty (su). enjoys the sounds and feelings of negative emotions in other creatures, especially pain, suffering, weeping, sadness, and will toy with or torment captured prey to evoke such emotions. when not under duress or specific orders, this play will eventually tear creatures limb from limb, and shred them into little bits. when capturing prey, it is all business; play is only for safely captured prey.

special quality - quick spin (ex). a garthim can spin in place as a free action to face any positioning once in any round it does not move more than 5'. this is often used to check for opponents and prey in the surroundings, and to ensure that nothing is in the blind spot.

special quality - remote power source (su). garthim are powered by a cracked (subverted) crystal artifact with alignment qualities suspended over a shaft of fire and air. healing / repairing the crystal destroys the motive force of the garthim, revealing that they are empty shells which fall apart. suggested adaption: a power source which can be blocked or deactivated somewhat more easily than major quest level antics.

special quality - obey the masters (ex). garthim will obey only a narrow selection of identified masters. they are not smart enough to know or care if one is in disfavor or banished or not. in the movie this was a race consisting of 9 individuals, with 9 mirror opposites - apparently of another race, whom could also control or pacify the garthim at will.

construct traits, as they are technically constructs.

according to the second book:

they can be killed without special weapons. (the dr might be x/crystal instead of x/magic and crystal.)

feel free to ask questions, i'll try to clarify.
    Last edited by nijineko; 04-27-2011 at 01:02 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Useful thread this is. I want to officially thank tesral for the idea of the Ghoul Hag. I used these in my 2E game that started back up again yesterday. I wanted something to get things started with a bang and that fit the bill. If interested in the encounter, you can read about it on my P&PG blog. Again, thanks tesral, the group had quite a time in battling those creatures.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i recall stat-ing out the thundercats back in 2nd ed, and trying to figure out which psionics would fit tigera the best. ^^ i think panthero was a monk, liono was a fighter, cheetara was a thief acrobat/monk combo i think-with a bit of psionics for her intuitive powers, and wilykit n wilykat were thieves. i don't believe i stat-ed out snarf. i recall attempting to fit the sword of omens and eye of thundara into magic items, and wound up in the artifact range before too long. ^^

i'm also suddenly reminded of a trio of races that i created, which whenever introduced to pcs always drove them nuts. usually, only one of the three races was introduced at a time. the main feature of the race they ran into (as far as they were concerned) was that not only did they not believe in magic, it did not function in anyway or anywhere that could affect their senses. so, in other words, magic could not function in any fashion within range of their perceptions, whether natural or boosted via artificial means. the players would go nuts trying to figure a way around the limitation. it didn't help that the npc in question would kindly offer them medical (psyc) assistance in order to be cured of their delusions of belief in magic.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just wondering if anyone has any new monsters to post.

I lied, I just wanted to bump the thread ()

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345