Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: What's in your box?

Downloads
    Uploads

What's in your box?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Your terrain box, that is!!

Here's a thread to list essential supplies for the terrain makin' enthusiasts!

-Glues: super, white, wood, 2 part epoxy, plastic.

-Pencil, blue/ black marker

-Sketch pad: for designs and jotting ideas/ notesP

-Hobby knives: small craft, large general purpose

-Liquid nails

-Low expansion window foam (cuz if you melt your board by using the wrong glue, this will pump that bad boy right back up- more or less).

-Paint brushes: variety

-Water FX: or similar product to produce, well, 'wet' effects

-Sand- santized play sand in a big bag. Because no one likes a paint job ruined by grit. Plus, if you have a kid it can be thrown in their sand box for emergency extra (they will worship you for it, too!)

-Paper towel rolls. Cheap pillars, power generators, etc.

-2 part putty: stuff solidifies and is paintable. Good for filling cracks, making textured walls, etc.

-Music. Cuz that terrain is gonna take a long time to build, so hop to!!

I'm sure there's more, but I'm feeling lazy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You forgot polymer clay! You can pick up 2oz packages of different colored modeling clay that you can fire in your oven at home. You can find these at hobby suppliers like Michaels, Hobby Lobby, and any "specialty" crafting store. I keep a nice stock to use for mock-ups of ideas I have for miniatures. For those who want more info I highly recommend the Plymer Clay FAQ!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ummm... capitol one. If I can't buy it already cool and looking nice, it isn't in my box.
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh boy. I don't have a terrain making tool box, i just have tools. I use my modeling tools to make terrain. All the knives, sanding sticks, tweezers, clamps, micro table saw, rulers, etc., etc..

The most indispensable tool is that good old #11 blade.
    You can never have too many clamps.
    Micro brushes have 100 uses.
    Measuring tools. Most terrain doesn't need them, but some does. The ship I just built for example.
    Painter's tape.
    CA glue, thin and gap filling.
    Liquid plastic, pick a brand.
    SANDPAPER!

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rabkala View Post
    Ummm... capitol one. If I can't buy it already cool and looking nice, it isn't in my box.
    Um... the supplies are cool and look nice but I don't think that is what you meant. Are you saying you don't even have a box *gasps in horror*

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pin vise.
    Paper clips. Yes, paper clips. It's amazing what these little pieces of bendable metal can be used for, whether "pinning" minis, or adding stability to a larger piece of terrain.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Toothpicks and DOTS are also useful. I use toothpicks often when working with clay.

Downloads
    Uploads
    -Wood screws: for added durability when putting two pieces of foamcore together. Yes, I'm extraordanily durable table guy. The pieces get cut/trimmed/sanded and then glued together with liquid nails. Then I add wood screws. The piece is virtually indestructible, but I'm not giving it to my 4 year old to test.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ffclubhero View Post
    -Wood screws: for added durability when putting two pieces of foamcore together. Yes, I'm extraordanily durable table guy. The pieces get cut/trimmed/sanded and then glued together with liquid nails. Then I add wood screws. The piece is virtually indestructible, but I'm not giving it to my 4 year old to test.
    Four year-olds are nature's irresistable force.

I tend to over build as well. Better to make it too strong than have it fall apart on you.

The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ffclubhero View Post
    Same here. I always take the "better to error on the side of caution" approach to everything I build. There is tough **** lying all over the house

Downloads
    Uploads
    Add Superglue Gel to that glues list. Stuff is PIMP, and doesn't run all over my fingers when I squeeze the tube to hard.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Some items not yet mentioned would be cardboard of many types (single thickness, double thickness, thin corrugated, regular corrugated, double corrugated, any others that I might have missed), white glue, carpenters glue, spackling, gallons and gallons of paint in clear plastic bottles of an infinite variety,as well as spray paints of many colors. Tall pile of newspapers it took months to get stopped. Hard boards of many sizes, partical board and plywood, also of many sizes.

Also in my many boxes of tools and supplies are tree trimmings, match sticks ranging from two inch to twelve inch, Popsicle sticks, blue foam boards, ceiling tiles, sea shells, carpet tubes, Pringle tubes, toilet and paper towel rolls, wires and all manner of electrical pieces.

Now we can mention things like the many varieties of flocking owned. Different sizes and colors are needed as well as the many different size granules model railroaders call ballast. Rocks and stones of many sizes rattle around the small box of the next few dozen pieces of terrain needing them.

As for tools, I have razor blades, utility knives, Exacto knives, a paring knife, a bread knife and some weird knife with really wicked teeth. Several saws, clamps of all types and sizes, rulers, angles and straight edges. Several lamps with different kinds of bulbs, paint boxes and light boxes.

There are two paperback books I bought from Games Workshop that really got me going on terrain and stuff, plus the infinite source I found on the internet that I save some of the stuff to my hard drive for future reference. And there are books I have bought about buildings from Europe's Middle Ages as well as source material I have from games like Pendragon, Harn and DnD

Unfortunately I could go on here but I think you get the picture here but I don't want to. The list goes on way too long. I have spent a good deal of money buying the tools and years collecting all this junk.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulsiphix View Post
    Um... the supplies are cool and look nice but I don't think that is what you meant. Are you saying you don't even have a box *gasps in horror*
    Indeed. A modeling toolbox is a must. Frankly I have three. A machinist's box from sears and two roller cabinets of supplies and tools. One for unfinished models, materials, and tools the other for painting and casting supplies.

On the painting box is the brush caddy and the micro table saw. On the tool and material box is the sheet plastic supplies, 0.05" to 0.80".

The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The tool boxes sound like an interesting idea. I have tools all over the place. Actually I tend to put them in a box to the side of my work area when not in use and my straight edges and angles are up on the wall so as to not allow them to bend if placed over anything.

I find that I can get away with a lot of really cheap brushes, unlike my mini painting brushes. The brushes I use to paint terrain has to stand up to a lot of rough use. The fast back and forth loaded up with paint tends to ruin a brush and since I am not so much concerned with fine detail as I am with transferring a lot of paint quickly and sort of randomly the cheap ones actually work just as well if not better than my quality brushes. I pick up a handful of them in various sizes at Banks School Supply for about $5 for the handful.

For whatever reason I don't do casting any longer. Strange I guess for a sculptor I know, but I just found myself on a different path over time.