Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Campaign Summary
Campaign Summary Genre: Fantasy
System Used: D&D 3.5
Style: 50% Roleplaying / 50% Combat
Current Players: 2
Desired # of Players: 5
Game Location City: Centreville
State: Virginia
Zip Code / Postal Code: 20120
Game Times Frequency: Weekly
Days of Week: Saturday
Online Game Details Online Game?: No
Additional Options Looking for Players?: Yes
Google Map
Loading Map...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nador: Volencia Rising

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    "Hmm...I find it difficult to determine the best option for raising our chances of survival. I must admit the prospect of a greatly enhanced intellect is enticing. My magical skills would be significantly increased." Yamirus pondered

"However, I still have the constitution of a wizard. Perhaps an increasing Carewyn's dexterity would be the right choice. The stinging arrows that he could unleash would be devistating. Still, I highly doubt a demi-god has much to fear from arrows, regardless of their enhancement."

"Putting the party's interests first, I believe temporarily increasing Thorljon's constitution is the path we should take. He is the only melee combatant we have and, given his nature, will be in the forefront of the fight and take the brunt of the demi-god's wrath. I should think increasing his survivability would buy time for we spellcasters to rapidly cast offensive spells. Some will fail, but some will not. If we do not increase Thorljon's vitality, then I fear he will be dispatched quickly and the rest of the party will be dispatched even more quickly."

The propsect of the likely fatal combat made Yamirus despair. He entertained the possiblity of rescuing his mother without confronting Asterios in combat. He dismissed the plan of sneaking in and slipping out with his mother undetected. Highly unlikely. Perhaps trading for his mother's freedom? Alas, he had nothing Asterios wanted. What's more, the evil demi-god seemed only to be interested in innocent virgins or slaves. That was not a transaction Yamirus wanted any part of. Yamirus sighed and supposed there was nothing to do but attempt to rid the world of one evil demi-god.

"I agree that boosting Thorljon's constitutuon would be be best. The enhanced Dex would be nice, but I can go without it. I can cast a few 'True Strike' spells which could he helpful." Caerwyn responds.
    Lindir considered what he might do with a +20 enhancement bonus to his Dexterity. "I migth be able to sneak right past even an abomination with THAT bonus." He thought to himself. Maybe he could sneak in, grab Yamirus' mother, and right out with her.* The problem, as he saw it, as that even if he were quiet enough to sneak past a quasi-deity's hearing, he doubted he could walk through its field of vision, even with superior invisibility, if he could get his hands on the spell, without being spotted.* He might be able to hide from the abomination, but he'd have to go out into the open to unlike whatever door or gate held her captive.* If he were spotted, furthermore, he would last more than a few seconds against an abomination. He'd need the shield of Thórsljón and Hrothgar to have the time to free Yamirus' mother.* Bringing them along meant noise, unless Hrothgar would cast a silence spell, which would inhibit spellcasting. As far as he'd seen, nobody in the party knew how to cast silent spells.* True, Thórsljón could use his spell-like abilities in silence, but his healing powers and offensive magic paled in comparison to Hrothgar's.

Lindir didn't fancy losing his life on some hopeless quest.* He hadn't lived half a century by pursing hopeless quests. He'd pursued a few hopeful quests of course, but he'd always carefully calculated the risks.* Sure, he'd always leaned toward helping others and not just himself, but he'd never seen how dying hopelessly helped anyone.

So had he accepted Yamirus' seemingly-hopeless quest as a job anyway?* Well, for one thing, Yamirus had accepted his standard price for a dangerous mission.* The job seemed likely to prove quite lucrative.* Lindir doubted, furthermore, that Yamirus could find anyone better for the job, at least not in Maralig or all of Maradenne either for that matter. And then there was the appeal of getting some priceless--or very high priced--artifacts out of Asterios' hoard, artifact he could sell to eager collectors, or even keep for his own collection. Imagine hosting a dinner part for rich collectors where they used actual imperial silverware from Asterios' reign over a thousand years ago, or having musicians play original musical compositions written for the court of Asterios on musical instruments crafted for his court. Despite his brutality and crudeness, he'd been a major patron of the arts, and according to legend at least the Graikoi Shertid known as the Muses has looked favorably, if not upon him, at least upon those at his court. Snatching artifacts from the son of a major Sherta would, furthermore, enhance his reputation well beyond Maradenne.

Yamirus and his group, too, had seemed quite capable and powerful. He hadn't realized at first that they had no idea what sort of foe they were facing in Asterios.* Their plan now seemed to consist of stumbling into Asterios' lair, then bashing and blasting him in hopes that he would die before he killed each and every member of the party.* Thórsljón and Hrothgar actually seemed to LIKE the idea of dying in a hopeless attempt to kill an abomination well beyond them.* Well perhaps while they were busy committing suicide, they'd distract him long enough for Lindir to free Yamirus' mother and get her out of the Labyrinth.

Lindir finally spoke up.* "I'd have to agree with Yamirus.* Why don't you give the big bonus to Thórsljón's Constitution so that he can surive attacks from Minotaur longer? Perhaps I can free Yamirus' mother while the rest of you distract the Minotaur."

"Bah!" exclaimed Hrothgar dismissively.* "Ve don't need an extra bonus on Thórsljón's Constitution.* Luthia and I vill be able to heal him repeatedly of any damage Bull Head does to Thórsljón. I usually memorize two mass heal spells, and before ve go in I can drop the implosion, vhich probably von't vryk on Bull Head anyvay as it reqvires overcoming the target's constitution, and memorize a third mass heal. Luthia can use the staff of life or the staff of mass heal, so if necessary ve can use a mass heal and a heal or even two mass heal spells per round on Thórsljón. I vill keep a miracle memorized too in case ve get in really dire straits and I haf to restore multiple party members to leif [life] all at vonce [once] in the middle of combat."

"Ja!" exclaimed Thórsljón enthusiastically, raising his greathammer triumphantly. "If I er [am] going to get the bonus, then I prefer to get it on minn [my] Strength, and haf Hrothgar and Luthia heal me vhile I put the fear of Thór into the Minotaur." Thórsljón grinned broadly, evoking similar grin from Hrothgar, who too raised his hammer of thunderbolts in triumph.

+1000 Caerwyn, Thórsljón
    +2000 Hrothgar, Lindir, Yamirus

Downloads
    Uploads
    Update and Experience
    4/18/09, 5/30/09, 6/6/09, 6/13/09, 6/20/09 & 6/27/09

It's been a busy time lately what with teaching 6 classes at the same time for a while last spring and now again, some medical problems, and moving from Fairfax to Centreville, so I apologize for not doing more frequent updates. I couldn't have made the move without frequent and repeated help from Dominic, so I want to thank him here publicly for all his help!

In the last update the party had just teleported back to the lagoon of the Isle of Aetna after getting supplies in Maralig. At the lagoon they found that a flight of 6 red wyrmling had attacked the Delfini and that the Captain Kostas and his son and daughter-in-law had killed one, driving the others away. When Luthia seemed upset at the death of one of the red wyrmlings, Kostas informed her angrily that the red dragons had burnt up the sails of the Delfini, and would have burned the whole boat if he, Psari and Thalassa hadn't driven them away. Yamirus tried to get Thórsljón and Luthia to fly sentry duty, but Luthia made an excuse to get out of it.

Yamirus suggested that the party prepare for battle in case the wyrmlings' mother came seeking vengeance, although Luthia said that red dragons typically don't care about their offspring, which probably explains why the wyrmlings had no adult with them. Yamirus cast a fly spell on both himself and on Hrothgar, while Elvira cast one on herself too. Lindir switched from his boots of striding and springing to his winged boots. He also cast stoneskin and false life on himself, all his spells coming from wands. Elvira asked if anyone had any water spells, and cast protection from fire spells on each of the Delfini's three crew members. Yamirus, Elvira and Lindir all cast improved invisibility and see invisibility on themselves.

As the party waited for Kostas and company to fashion new sails, a huge red dragon flew up and landed by the body of the dead wyrmling, demanding in Graikoí to know who killed it. The other 5 wyrmlings followed her but broke off and orbited about a thousand feet away from the party in the direction of Mt. Aetna. Luthia turned into dragon form and tried to assure the red dragon that the crew had killed the wyrmling only in self-defense. The dragon, Embresh, said that Luthia and her other companions who weren't there when the crew killed her wyrmling could leave unharmed. The party though refused to abandon the Delfini's crew to a fiery death, and so both the mother dragon, Embresh, and the invisible father dragon, Conflagrax, breathed on most of the party, centered on the Delfini, and burned it down to the waterline by inflicting 159 points of fire damage. Elvira's protection from fire spells certainly saved the crew of the Delfini, who found themselves standing on the keel of the Delfini resting on the sand of the beach or in the shallow water next to the beach.

Yamirus tried to cast a disintegrate spell on Embresh but with her blindsense she managed to hit him with an attack of opportunity and grabbed him in her mouth. Elvira cast a celerity spell on herself and then tried to hit the invisible Conflagrax with an empowered, maximized delayed-blast acidball, but failed to penetrate his spell resistance. Caerwyn barely managed to hit Embresh with his readied arrow. Kostas managed to hit Embresh with two arrows but didn't do much damage. Yamirus managed to cast a dimension door spell and teleport himself out of Embresh's mouth and 200 feet straight above her, out of range of her breath weapon (he hoped).

Caerwyn really turned around the combat, however, when he scored two critical hits on Embresh, doing a substantial amount of damage. Thórsljón managed to catch Conflagrax in the area of a glitterdust spell, revealing Conflagrax's position for all to see. Psari fired two arrows, but they bounced harmlessly off of Embresh's scales. Luthia, badly damaged by fiery breath, withdrew so that she wouldn't remain within range of the red dragons' breath, to which she, as a cold creature, has a particular vulnerability. Thalassa cast an empowered, sudden maximized cone of cold (at Conflagrax, I think, and I think she couldn't penetrate Conflagrax's spell resistance). Lindir, using his new +5 deadly precision rapier, managed to score both a critical hit and sneak attack damage on Embresh, killing her. Elvira cast an empowered split polar ray at Conflagrax, penetrating his spell resistance with the first ray, and doing 113 points of damage with it. Noticing, however, that the polar ray didn't do as much damage as one might expect a polar ray to do to a red dragon, Luthia said, "Oh pooh, he's got Overcome Weakness [a dragon feat from Draconomicon] and cold resistance too."

Hrothgar cast a 9th-level domain spell called thundercloud, and used it to blast Conflagrax with thunderbolts. Thórsljón began to pound Conflagrax with his +5 greathammer, and Conflagrax turned tail and started flying away. Both Thórsljón and Luthia flew after Conflagrax, while Caerwyn hit him with two arrows. Thalassa, under the effects of her celerity spell, cast two maximized, empowered magic missiles at Conflagrax, and one actually penetrated his spell resistance to do 34 points of damage. Thórsljón quickly figured out that while he could keep up with Conflagrax he'd never get a chance to attack him, and called for Elvira to teleport him 80' above Conflagrax and then cast celerity on Thórsljón. Thórsljón then dived on Conflagrax, hitting him five times for 78, 70, 79 and 83 points of damage, killing him. Conflagrax's lifeless body plunged into the lagoon.

The party then began to search Embresh's body, and found a nice collection of gems embedded among her scales. Lindir offered to go underwater and search Conflagrax's body, and Hrothgar cast a water breathing spell on him at Yamirus' suggestion. Lindir also asked for and got a swim spell from Thalassa. Thórsljón, who already had a water breathing spell from Hrothgar, followed to guard Lindir, and used his spell-like ability of daylight to aid Lindir's search. Elvira flew up over them to watch from above, and cast a message spell on them both so that she could communicate with them in case they ran into any trouble. Lindir found another nice collection of gems on Conflagrax. In addition to the non-magical gems, the party found a gem of light fortification and a luckstone on each of the dragons. Luthia took a gem of light fortification for herself.

Looking at the wreck of the Delfini, and a distraught Kostas, whose grandfather had originally built it, Elvira suggested that the party go to a city and buy a lyre of building to rebuild the Delfini. She suggested maybe going to Apopolis so that Yamirus could see his friend Adelpha again. So Yamirus talked to Kostas, and offered to rebuild the Delfini. Although Kostas complained that it wouldn't be the same fishing boat that his grandfather built, Thalassa insisted that the over the years Kostas has rebuilt the entire Delfini just as his own father surely had, and Kostas grudgingly agreed to accept Yamirus' help (without agreeing with Thalassa).

The party decided, at Elvira's suggestion, to take Kostas and company with them when they teleported to Apopolis rather than leave them unprotected on the island. Psari worried about the safety of teleporting, but Yamirus assured him that it was safe indeed. Psari agreed but not before opining that "It's a crazy way to travel, scattering your molecules across the cosmos." Thalassa, however, said she'd always wanted to travel by teleportation. Before they left the island, Kostas and company collected all the brass fittings from the burned out hull of the Delfini, with Kostas saying, "No offense to the little lady," indicating Luthia, "but dragons will take will take every last copper," and that he didn't want the grandpappy dragon getting his grandpappy's brass fittings. Yamirus, Hrothgar and Kostas discussed rebuilding the Delfini, and then the party teleported to Apopolis.

In Apopolis the party noticed a large temple of Poseidon down by the docks, and Kostas and crew insisted on going in to venerate Poseidon. Hrothgar and Thórsljón decided in deference to Thór to remain outside, but the rest of the party went in, and Yamirus even went into the worshipping pool briefly to say a prayer. Six drunken sailors who had witnessed Thórsljón wrestling Heracles came by and started insulting him and Hrothgar, trying to pick a fight. They threw a few punches at Thórsljón who stepped aside and warned them to stop, but they persisted so he knocked out all six of them with one punch just as Yamirus and the rest of the party ran outside to see what the commotion was all about. Yamirus seemed rather satisfied with Thórsljón knocking out the six of them with one punch. When the City Watch arrived, the temple guards verified Thórsljón's account, and so the Watch let Yamirus and the party go about their way. On the way about town Luthia saw a poster advertising a series of concerts that week by the famed Annonid bard, Celebrezrum, and she said, "We HAVE go to see him." Yamirus asked if she knew Celebrezrum, and she said, "Yes. Well not exactly." So Yamirus, guessing that the Annonid bard was really a dragon in Annonid form, agreed that they would go see him.

So the party made its way along the Apollian Way from the docks to the Apollian Way Inn, and there greeted Counselor Themis and his granddaughter Adelpha. Kostas scowled at the luxurious trappings of the Apollian Way, but Thalassa hushed him and was quite impressed with it all. Adelpha took the party around the city buying magic items, first to Archimedes' Strings, run by her mother's father, Archimedes Kaporis V. So the party met her other grandfather, and her uncle Archimedes VI, who actually did most of the work helping them find a nice lyre of building to buy. The shop had many expensive lyres of building, and Luthia said, "I don't suppose we can get the best one, can we?" Yamirus agreed that they couldn't afford it.

At some point Yamirus asked Adelpha about going to see Celebrezrum. She had seen him the night before, and thought he was fantastic, every bit as good as his legend if not better, and offered to take the party for that night's concert, and Yamirus agreed. She said, "It's said that Celebrezrum is so talented that he can charm even plants, although I don't know how you could tell." Celebrezrum apparently hadn't been in Apopolis for about a century, but the stories of him had lived on in the three generations that had come after his last visit. So that night, holding hands with Yamirus, Adelpha led the party to her family's box in the great outdoor amphitheater inside the main Temple of Apollo in Apopolis.

Celebrezrum appeared as a mature Annonid adult, looking the equivalent of a human man of 45 to 50 years old, with blue eyes, and silver hair and beard. He appeared as an average Annonid from the Greater Republic of Accylig, 6'6” in height and weighing 212 pounds. He was quite a showman, almost as much with his introductions as with his singing and playing of the lyre.

His songs included:

1. Song about the mithril dragons and Mazord destroying the mithril moon.
    2. Song about Heracles wrestling foreign angels.
    3. Song about King Matthew slaying Shauglot, Demon Prince of the Swamps, in the Demon War of 2999.
    4. Song about Kaltorel and his love of a mortal bard named Leia, who traveled with The Wanderers. It's a tragicomic song that contains funny lines about how a psionic knight and a swordsman competed for her affections, only to have Kaltorel literally sweep her off her feet right in front of their noses, but that also points out the loneliness of being unique and powerful. The events of this song take place at the end of the Demon War, although in the North (after Kaltorel destroyed the giant demons).
    5. Song about Sagittarius freeing the original centaurs from Mazord after Mazord created and enslaved them.
    6. Song about the Andynon Rúmil and his elven wife Lady Melia. They died defending a tunnel through the mountains against red dragons sent by Mazord against an Andynonid settlement. The others got all their children into the tunnel and away by the time that the dragons managed to slay Rúmil and Melia. (The silver dragon named Melia took her name and elven alter ego in tribute to the Melia of the First Age).
    7. Love song about Melia. “Some say that Rúmil himself wrote this for her before the end.” It speaks of her beauty, wisdom and bravery, but also a certain coldness. The song asks whether Melia can ever love the singer as much as he loves her.
    8. Humorous and scandalous ballad about a Castorian priest who visits a Volencian lady of the evening only to find, at the end of the evening, that the lady was no lady at all.
    9. A whole routine about Heracles' labors. “Since the last time I was here, in your great-grandfathers' time, I heard Zeus actually slept with a mortal woman. Could that be true?” The crowd laughs. “I hear that she came from a farm not that far from Apopolis.” Roars of approval. “I've heard tell that the son, whom some call Heracles, had a rather nasty time at the hands of his father's wife, Hera. They say that Hera drove Heracles mad and that he raped the Queen of the Amazons, and that to atone for the rape, Hera forced him to engage in many mighty labors. Some say ten labors; others say twelve. But it's late and singing about them would take all night, so you probably would prefer to go to bed.” The crowd roars, “NO!” “Well, maybe I could sing of one labor before you go to bed.” The crowd roars for more. “What? You want two? Three? You want me to sing of all TWELVE?” “YES!” “Are you sure?” “YES!!” “How about a compromise-I'll do six labors, and you can get to bed before midnight?” “NO!” “You mean-you really want all 12?!” “YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Yamirus and Thórsljón laughed at the song about Heracles wrestling the foreign angels, but Hrothgar scowled. Yamirus joked, "Hey, maybe tomorrow he can sing a song about the foreign angels beating up dock workers." Luthia corrected Yamirus, saying, "They weren't dock workers, they were sailors, which made Thórsljón laugh even more." During the song about Sagittarius, Yamirus turned to Adelpha and said, "Remind me to tell you about the centaurs we traveled with." Luthia had cried during the songs about Melia, and Yamirus asked Luthia is the songs about Melia were about her mother, but Luthia said they were about the original Melia in the First Age. Her mother had taken that Annonid name to honor her. During Celebrezrum's bit about how many labors to sing, Yamirus joke, "Make up a 13th while you're at it."

After the concert Luthia insisted that she had to meeting Celebrezrum, so Yamirus asked Adelpha how they could get backstage, if perhaps they had to bribe someone. Adelpha insisted that they were in Apopolis, not Zeusopolis, so that officials didn't take bribes. She said that normally she could just get backstage access, but that she'd have to ask the guards to ask if Celebrezrum would see them. Thórsljón joked, "I think the foreign angels should go" (backstage). (I seem to recall that she told the guard who went backstage to tell Celebrezrum that a couple of the foreign angels from his second song were there to see him, but I didn't write it down.) Lindir offered to take the crew of the Delfini back to the Apollian Way Inn and look after them, and the four of them departed.

As it turns out Celebrezrum agreed to see them. The guard led them to a nice room in the temple, where they saw Celebrezrum with a group of adoring young women. He was very pleasant and invited them all in and offered them some of the nice refreshments the temple had provided him, but Luthia walked right up to him and spoke:

Luthia: I need to speak to your in private.

Celebrezrum: You're a very petty girl, but I'm afraid you're too young for me to see in private.

Luthia: I'm your daughter.

Celebrezrum: Hmm. I don't think so. You're too young to be my daughter by any Volencian woman. I was just there last year and not for all that long. Unless … who is your mother?

Luthia: My mother is Melia.

Celebrezrum: Ah, well that's a possibility. Why don't we adjourn to somewhere private after all and you can show me that Melia really is your mother.

Yamirus asked to be included in any such meeting, and Celebrezrum asked who he was. He explained that he was looking after Luthia for Melia, and Celebrezrum nodded knowingly, saying that Melia too had been fostered by a human when young. Yamirus asked Celebrezrum if he'd always been a bard, and Celebrezrum said he'd taken it up when about the age of 50, some 300 years ago. Celebrezrum asked Yamirus about his mission, and when Celebrezrum learned that that the party planned go to the Labyrinth and rescue Yamirus' mother, Celebrezrum turned to Luthia and said, "Oh I AM glad you came to see me before...the end." Luthia insisted that Celebrezrum could come with them and help them. Celebrezrum laughed and said that apparently Melia had never told her that he's a lover, not a fighter. He suggested that instead of going to the Labyrinth, Luthia travel with him as he performs in various places. She insisted she had to go rescue Yamirus' mother, and he noted that she did seem to be her mother's daughter.

Yamirus asked if Celebrezrum had known about Luthia and if so why he'd left Melia. "I knew Luthia was coming, and I asked Melia to come with me as I toured and brought light into the darkness with my music, but she refused, insisting that my music was not as valid a way of spreading goodness as was her method. She didn't love me as I love her, and so she refused to come with." Luthia interjected that Melia did love him, but Celebrezrum said, "But not as much as she loved that paladin of hers." Luthia, showing her youth, looked like she wondered how she'd manage to bring up that sore point. Yamirus though thanked him for bringing a little light into the downtrodden lives of the Volencians with music.

Elvira suggested that perhaps Celebrezrum would be willing to help his daughter in another way--by playing the lyre of building the party had bought and rebuilding the Delfini. Celebrezrum told them that he they wanted a magical instrument played that they'd come to the right place and that he'd be happy to play it for them. He suggested that the party return to have a sumptuous, magical breakfast with him in the morning, and they agreed.

As the party was about to go somewhere that Luthia could change into her dragon form without letting any of the residents of Apopolis see, she suddenly remembered that Adelpha did not know her true identity, and suggested to Yamirus that she go with Celebrezrum alone. Celebrezrum suggested that the rest of the party enjoy the refreshments, excused himself to the women who had been in the room when the party arrived, and mentioned to them that Hrothgar and Thórsljón were two of the "foreign angels" he's sung about. Several of the women started hanging on Hrothgar and Thórsljón admiringly. When they asked how it had been to wrestle Heracles, Hrothgar honestly admitted that Heracles had been able to beat the stuffing out of all of them at the same time. The women seemed to find his honesty even more attractive. In the meantime, Yamirus asked Elvira and Adelpha their favorite songs. Elvira had most enjoyed the humorous song about Hrothgar and Thórsljón (and Onigato and Lindir) wrestling Heracles, while Adelpha liked best the sad but romantic love song about the original Melia. Yamirus most enjoyed the comical song about a Castorian priest and a lady of the evening who turned out not to be a lady by any stretch of the imagination.

Talk of the song lampooning Castorians led to a serious discussion about possible attempts by the Castorians to assassinate Yamirus or harm those around him, and he urged Adelpha to talk to her grandfather about beefing up security around the family just in case. At first Yamirus suggested that the Castorians might attack Apopolis to get at Yamirus, but Adelpha didn't think it likely that Castor would go to war with the largest navy in the Graikoí Islands over just one man. Yamirus reluctantly agreed that she was probably right, but still insisted that he might be putting Apopolis or at least her family in danger, and she agreed to talk to her grandfather about getting more security.

Will the party ever repair the Delfini and restart its stalled journey to rescue Yamirus' mother? Tune in tonight and find out!

Experience
    Group

2 mature adult red dragon (CR 19)

16th: Psari; Thalassa 3200
    20th: Kostas 888
    23rd: Caerwyn, Lindir 383
    24th: Hrothgar, Elvira, Thórsljón 266
    25th: Yamirus 208

Individual

Caerwyn
    +500 being his usual quiet self
    +500 suggesting that Lindir go to Maralig
    +500 discussion with Luthia and Elvira
    +500 discussing that he reveres Sulmë
    +500 asking Elvira about her story
    +500 wanting to learn more from Elvira about the Underdark
    +500 offering to share with Elvira about the surface world
    +500 They (the drunken sailors) thought they had safety in numbers
    +500 discussing feats for Hrothgar
    +383 group experience
    Caerwyn total 4883

Yamirus
    +400 buying and recording items
    +1,000 discussion with Lindir about building boats
    +500 discussion with Kostas
    +400 let's prepare for battle
    +400 discussing red dragon behavior with Luthia
    +400 suggesting Hrothgar cast a water breathing spell on Lindir
    +400 asking Elvira to cast detect magic
    +400 asking Elvira what she likes to be called
    +400 casting identify to help Elvira
    +400 asking Elvira which items she wanted identified
    +400 reassuring Kostas about rebuilding the Delfini
    +400 reassuring Psari about teleporting
    +400 asking Kostas about building materials
    +400 high degree of craftsmanship
    +400 "All in favor of sleeping in beds say 'aye.'"
    +400 discussing with Psari going into the Temple of Poseidon
    +400 discussion with the priestess of Poseidon
    +400 praying and making a small contribution of Poseidon
    +400 worrying about whether he contributed enough to the Temple of Poseidon (70 silver oboloí and 8 copper chalkoí)
    +400 Can I make an intelligence check to see if it's Hrothgar starting a fight with someone
    +400 sitting down to wait for the constable
    +400 can't believe how stupid (the sailors) are
    +400 discussing the altercation with the temple guards
    +400 interacting with Adelpha
    +400 discussing Celebrezrum with Luthia
    +400 discussing feats for Hrothgar
    +400 discussing a spell for Elvira
    +500 discussing a spell for Hrothgar
    +400 to Kostas "It would be an honor to pay for your room at the inn."
    +400 discussion with Thalassa
    +400 holding hands with Adelpha
    +400 "Luthia, you have a keen eye."
    +400 "It's the mileage, not the years."
    +400 remembering that Luthia wanted to go to Celebrezrum's concert
    +400 interacting with Adelpha
    +400 laughing at the song about Heracles wrestling the foreign angels
    +500 "Hey, maybe tomorrow he can sing a song about foreign angels beating up dock workers.
    +400 "Remind me to tell you about the centaurs we traveled with." to Adelpha
    +400 discussing the Melia of the song with Luthia
    +400 Yami and Luthia on her crying
    +400 "Make up a 13th while you're at it."
    +400 Screaming for all 12 labors of Heracles
    +400 "How do we get backstage? Bribe?"
    +400 tipping the temple guards backstage
    +1,000 discussing with Celebrezrum
    +400 discussing her discomfort with Luthia (not wanting to reveal her true nature to Adelpha)
    +400 asking Elvira what song she liked best
    +400 asking Adelpha what song she liked best
    +400 liking the scandalous song about the Castorian best
    +400 warning Adelpha about the possible dangers he could bring to her because of the Castorians out to get him
    +208 group experience
    Yamirus total 21,708 (There are so many numbers here that you might want to double-check my addition.) [Did Yamirus level up? If so you might want to consider how far above the bottom of level 26th he's reached to see if he has enough experience to do the item creation. Remember though that he's likely get more experience before he gets a chance to create anything else.)

Hrothgar
    +500 being his usual overstated self
    +500 discussing the party's diamond supply with Thórsljón
    +500 seeing spots
    +500 suggesting the 2nd level spell divine insight to help him play the lyre
    +500 staying outside the Temple of Poseidon
    +500 punching out drunken sailors
    +500 discussing what spell to learn
    +500 "No, I don't think you would" like to hear him play, said to Luthia's uncle Archimedes.
    +500 Scowling at the song about Heracles wrestling the foreign angels
    +500 being honest about losing easily to Heracles
    +266 group experience
    Hrothgar total 5,266

Elvira
    +500 being taciturn as usual
    +500 being willing to give Yamirus money and to stay and guard the Delfini crew
    +500 discussing the party's diamond supply with Hrothgar
    +500 "Ladies and gentlemen, does anyone want a spell?"
    +1200 casting protection from fire spells on Kostas, Psari and Thalassa
    +500 flying out over the lagoon to keep an eye on Lindir and Thórsljón
    +500 casting message on Lindir and Thórsljón and saying, "Gentlemen, can you hear me?"
    +500 suggesting a lyre of building to rebuild the Delfini
    +500 casting detect magic and identifying magic item auras
    +500 well if you're asking, I'll take the ruby (of fortification)
    +500 I think I know two people who might like this: Luthia and Arandor
    +500 suggesting that they (?)
    +500 suggesting that the party could get a lyre of building in a big city
    +500 suggesting that they get the lyre in Apopolis so that Yamirus could see Adelpha again
    +500 suggesting that they take Kostas as company along with them to Apopolis
    +500 "Aye!" to sleeping in a bed
    +500 discussion with Luthia and Caerwyn
    +500 discussing what spell to learn
    +500 suggesting that Celebrezrum could help his daughter by playing the lyre of building
    +266 group experience
    Elvira total 10,466

Thórsljón
    +500 being his usual fearless and selfless, um, self? ;-)
    +500 Caerwyn should stay as backup
    +500 It's OK--we don't need the rods right now.
    +500 "Who're you calling a gentleman?"
    +500 going underwater to guard Lindir as he searched Conflagrax's carcass
    +500 lighting himself up with daylight to help Lindir search
    +500 staying outside the Temple of Poseidon
    +500 punching out drunken sailors
    +500 pushing for the party to get two metamagic rods (of lesser persistent spell)
    +500 laughing at the song about Heracles wrestling the foreign angels
    +500 laughing when Luthia corrected Yamirus about the dockworkers actually being sailors.
    +500 "I think the foreign angels should go" (backstage).
    +266 group experience
    Thórsljón total 6166

Luthia
    +400 bluffing Yamirus to avoid sentry duty
    +200 not offering to pay for anything
    +400 discussing red dragon behavior with Yamirus
    +500 "Aye!" to sleeping in a bed
    +400 discussion with Elvira and Caerwyn
    +1,000 telling the story of how Sulmë guided her out of the Underdark
    +400 discussing Celebrezrum with Yamirus
    +400 "It's a gift," in response to "Luthia, you have a keen eye."
    +400 "I don't suppose we can get the best one, can we?" speaking of lyres of building.
    +400 "I really think a silver would (do?) better on the Delfini."
    +400 Sensing that the merchant wanted to make a good impression on Adelpha
    +400 "They might wrestle afterward, but differently."
    +400 "They weren't dock workers, they were sailors."
    +400 discussing the Melia of the song with Yamirus
    +400 Yami and Luthia on her crying
    +400 "I have to go backstage."
    +600 Luthia with her father
    +400 discussing her discomfort with Yamirus (not wanting to reveal her true nature to Adelpha)
    + (23/25 of Yamirus's total)
    Luthia total 26,871 (WOO-HOO! Luthia has not only reached 24th level but is only about 2,000 short of 25th level! Unfortunately she can't reach 25th until Yamirus reaches 26th, but this is still a great jump for her!)

Lindir (hireling)
    +500 volunteering to return to Maralig with Yamirus to get a better price for a magic item
    +500 finding gems on Embresh
    +500 suggesting detect magic on the Embresh
    +500 suggesting searching Conflagrax's body underwater instead of dragging it for yards underwater and possibly losing gems in the muck
    +500 "Indeed."
    +500 searching Conflagrax's body and finding lots of nice gems (including some magical ones)
    +500 asking Thalassa for a swim spell
    +500 suggesting detect magic on the Conflagrax
    +500 offering to take the crew of the Delfini back to the Apollian Way Inn and look after them
    +500 taking them back
    +500 landing the killing blow on Embresh
    +383 group experience
    Lindir total 5,883 (WOO-HOO! Lindir leveled up to 24th!)

Captain Kostas
    +500 discussion with Yamirus
    +500 arguing with Thalassa about rebuilding his grandpappy's boat
    +1,000 discussion with Yamirus about building boats
    +500 collecting the brass from the Delfini, etc.
    +500 "No offense to the little lady," indicating Luthia, "but dragons will take will take every last copper," and that he didn't want the grandpappy dragon from getting his grandpappy's brass fittings.
    +500 telling Yamirus about building materials
    +500 "I've seen better" (temples of Poseidon)
    +500 "It was only an old fishing boat."
    +500 "Oh, counselor, is it?!"
    +500 scowling at the rich trappings of the Apollian Way Inn
    +500 "Well you did destroy my boat." in response to "It would be an honor to pay for your room at the inn."
    +500 "We'll see about that."
    +888 group experience
    Kostas total 7,388 (WOO-HOO! Kostas reached 21st level!)

Psari
    +500 "Are you sure it's safe to teleport?"
    +500 "It's a crazy way to travel, scattering your molecules across the cosmos."
    +500 discussing with Yamirus going into the Temple of Poseidon
    +500 pushing to go pray in the sanctuary (praying pool)
    +500 Winking at Yamirus and saying nothing as his wife and father argue about how nice the Temple of Poseidon is.
    +500 smiling at Thalassa gainsaying his father
    +500 Looking in awe at the Apollian Way Inn
    +3200 group experience
    Psari total 6700

Thalassa
    +500 casting swim on Lindir
    500 arguing with Kostas about rebuilding his grandpappy's boat
    +500 "Oh, I always wanted to travel by teleportation."
    +500 "This is a NICE temple of Poseidon."
    +500 "Oh, we'd love some non-sea food."
    +500 Looking in awe at the Apollian Way Inn
    +500 discussion with Yamirus
    +3200 group experience
    Thalassa total 6700

Downloads
    Uploads
    Update and Experience Addendum

4/18/09, 5/30/09, 6/6/09, 6/13/09, 6/20/09 & 6/27/09

I just realized that there are weekly awards I give to Caerwyn and the party's regular NPCs so that they don't fall as far behind Yamirus and Luthia, but that I gave only once in the last Update and Experience despite covering 6 session. So I need to give them each the weekly awards for five weeks:

Caerwyn
    +2500 being his usual quiet self

Hrothgar
    +2500 being his usual overstated self

Elvira
    +2500 being taciturn as usual

Thórsljón
    +2500 being his usual fearless and selfless, um, self? ;-)

The extra awards will help the characters, especially Caerwyn, contribute more to the enchanting of items that Yamirus and Elvira plan to do. So I think that Caerwyn and Yamirus can safely level up as planned. For Caerwyn we already did hit points, but for Yamirus we need to remember to do hit points this coming week.

Update and Experience
    10/04/09

In the previous session Luthia went off to show Celebrezrum that she was really a silver dragon and therefore (likely) his daughter. The rest of the party remained in the antechamber where a group of priestesses of Apollo has been entertaining Celebrezrum (or had been being entertained by him). After Celebrezrum told the priestesses that Thórsljón and Hrothgar were two of the foreign angels whom Heracles wrestled (as per one of his songs) four of them began to hang all over the two.

Last week we had a light session. I started us about two hours late, and apologize for that. Then I spent a lot of the session raving about new TV shows (mostly Fast Forward and Stargate: Universe), for which I also apologize. As I recall Dominic talked a bit about the joys of new fatherhood, and we spent the rest of the session discussion leveling up Caerwyn and Yamirus. In particular they both worried that they might not have enough experience over the bottoms of their new levels to pay for putting the +10 bracers of armor enchantment on Caerwyn's bracers of archery. I use the cooperative experience variant from the Epic Level Handbook, which allows PCs other than the item creator to contribute up to 75% of the total experience point cost. I noted that they would both likely get more experience before Yamirus had a chance to do either of the improvements, and they both decided to level up. When I realized I'd missed some weekly experience that I give to Caerwyn and awarded that in an Update and Experience Addendum, he had enough to contribute his share.

We also discovered that Caerwyn's dexterity score is so high that even in +4 mithril chainmail he was losing most of it, and so he decided to remove his chainmail even before Yamirus puts the bracers of armor enchantment on Caerwyn's bracers of archery. Without the chainmail Caerwyn's overall AC does drop by 1 point, but his touch and incorporeal armor classes both leaped by 8 points. Yamirus plans to improve Caerwyn's bracers by the end of the current day, so that then Caerwyn's regular AC with skyrocket by 10 points!

Will we get more done in tonight's session? Tune in and find out. :-P

Experience
    Group

(CR )

16th: Psari; Thalassa
    21st: Kostas
    23rd: Caerwyn
    24th: Elvira, Hrothgar, Lindir, Thórsljón
    26th: Yamirus

Individual

Caerwyn
    +500 discussing whether leveling up would leave him enough experience to make the scheduled magic items
    +500 putting up with DM raving about new TV shows
    +500 putting up with DM starting the session 2 hours late
    +500 discussing and correcting Caerwyn's armor class
    +0 group experience
    Caerwyn total 2500

Yamirus
    +400 discussing whether leveling up would leave him enough experience to make the scheduled magic items
    +400 putting up with DM raving about new TV shows
    +400 putting up with DM starting the session 2 hours late
    +0 group experience
    Yamirus total 1200

Hrothgar
    +0 group experience
    Hrothgar total 500

Elvira
    +0 group experience
    Elvira total 500

Thórsljón
    +0 group experience
    Thórsljón total 500

Luthia

+0 (24/25 of Yamirus's total, but I'm not including the sort of stuff for which I gave Yamirus experience in this session)
    Luthia total 0

Lindir (hireling)

+383 group experience
    Lindir total 0

Captain Kostas

+0 group experience
    Kostas total 0

Psari

+0 group experience
    Psari total 0

Thalassa

+0 group experience
    Thalassa total 0

Update and Experience
    10/10/09

We had another light session this past week. My upstairs neighbor or neighbors had a loud, disruptive party that interfered with my ability to DM, especially over the phone with the sound fading in and out. Before the disruption we mostly talked about the new season of Heroes and leveling up Kostas to his first epic level of legendary captain. I'm having to create the epic levels since they don't exist in Stormwrack, but I'm almost done. I'm hoping that the formal complaint I made to the management of my apartment complex, and the formal complaint they in turn made to my neighbor(s) upstairs will prevent a further occurrence of disruptive noise. I also had Cox out today checking the phone, and they replaced some stuff, so it's possible that the sound won't fade out anymore. I did, however, notice during two calls today before Cox arrived that when I used the handset the sound didn't fade in an out, so I'm thinking that the speaker on the speaker phone might be the problem. I guess we'll find out this coming session.

Experience
    Group

(CR )

24th: Hrothgar, Lindir, Thórsljón
    25th: Elvira

Individual

Caerwyn
    +500 putting up with DM getting distracted by neighbor's noisy party and ending the session early
    +0 group experience
    Caerwyn total 1000

Yamirus
    +400 discussing something that escapes me now
    +400 putting up with DM getting distracted by neighbor's noisy party and ending the session early
    +0 group experience
    Yamirus total 800

Hrothgar
    +0 group experience
    Hrothgar total 500

Elvira
    +0 group experience
    Elvira total 500 (WOO-HOO! Elvira reached 25th level!!)

Thórsljón
    +0 group experience
    Thórsljón total 500

Luthia

+0 (24/25 of Yamirus's total, but I'm not including the sort of stuff for which I gave Yamirus experience in this session)
    Luthia total 0

Lindir (hireling)

+0 group experience
    Lindir total 0

Captain Kostas
    +500 discussing leveling up at an epic legendary captain
    +0 group experience
    Kostas total 0

Psari

+0 group experience
    Psari total 0

Thalassa

+0 group experience
    Thalassa total 0

Update and Experience
    10/17/09

This week we mostly worked on leveling up Luthia and Elvira. First thought I bought a new speakerphone because the old one had started to fail, and I'd been having trouble in recent weeks as the speaker failure made Dominic's and Marc's voices fade in and out. At first I thought maybe the phone service at the new place had a problem, but last week I had Cox out and they tested everything and found no problem. Meanwhile I discovered that the fading happened only while on the speaker, and not with the handset, so I ran out yesterday and got a new speakerphone with two cordless phones, both with their own speakers. So now three speakers will have to give out to lose the new speakerphone, and furthermore I can leave the main phone on the desk next to the computer and use one of the cordless phones as a speaker when I have to run a combat on the coffee table in the living room. I spent about $130 altogether with for the phone and Geek Squad protection, and Dominic generously contributed $75. Thank you Dominic--I can always count on you!

Elvira, who reached an effective character level of 25, with 23 actual class levels because of her level adjustment of +2 for being a drow, chose her 3rd and final 9th level spell. It was a tough choice, with so many good 9th-level spells, and it came down to shapechange and black blade of disaster. Ultimately we decided to go with black blade of disaster, which creates a blade-like area of black force that acts like a disintegrate spell when it hits its target. The blade lasts a round per level, so it's sort of like having 23 disintegrate spells with the casting of one spell. We chose black blade of disaster because unlike shapechange it would benefit from Elvira's metamagic mastery, and would give the party a new spell that nobody else has.

We spent a good deal of time discussing Luthia's spell choice. For her new 0-level spell we chose detect poison. Dominic suggested it and I'd actually thought it the best choice myself, so we went with it. We spent a lot more time discussing her 2nd-level spell choice. Dominic wanted her to take resist energy to protect her from fire since she's vulnerable to it. I thought though that as she always likes to be the one who knows everything, that detect thoughts would be appropriate, and ultimately we went with detect thoughts.

We spent even more time I think selecting Luthia's feat. She had so many good choices that it was really hard to decide. Dominic had originally wanted her to take Empower Breath, but after he read the new Draconic Blindsight feat, he decided he'd prefer that. It also seemed to fight with her wanting to know everything, so we went with Draconic Blindsight.

While leveling up Luthia, I double-checked the rules on Dragon cohorts, including my two house rule feats. Epic Dragon Cohort and Improved Epic Dragon Cohort, and we realized that at Yamirus' current leadership score of 29 (and the Dragon Cohort feat from Draconomicon), Yamirus could have a dragon cohort of only 22nd level. So although we'd just spent all that time leveling up Luthia to 24th, for now we had to go to back to Luthia's 22nd-level sheet and update it for changes, like replacing her +4 ring of protection with a +5 ring of protection, that didn't depend on her level. I did come up with a short-term fix: Elvira agreed to add the +6 enhancement bonus for Charisma to Yamirus' +5 cloak of resistance (similar to the way she'd already added a +5 resistance bonus to her own +6 cloak of Charisma). Yamirus could do the addition himself, but that would add another enchantment to his already-long list. Elvira has a shorter list of just two enchantments, both for Luthia, so she's actually still helping Luthia so Luthia won't mind so much having her other two enchantments pushed back a day each.

We did actually spend a little time discussing legendary captains and the story of Captain Kostas, his son Psari, and his daughter-in-law Thalassa. Kostas and Psari come from a little island near the Isle of Minos, and one day when they returned from fishing they found that pirates had taken Kostas' wife and daughter. Kostas and Psari were able to find the pirates on Minos, and Kostas snuck up on the pirate captain while he was celebrating and killed him. Alas it was too late for Kostas' wife and daughter, whom the pirate had sold to be sacrificed to Asterios (the Minotaur). So Kostas and Psari fled north, eventually settling in the fishing village of Chorio, on an island not too far from Zeusopolis. The villagers there venerated Kostas for his fishing prowess and for his toughness in dealing with the riffraff of Apopolis, and eventually their young village witch, Thalassa, married Kostas' son Psari.

I forgot to give out a couple of items of experience from last week, so I'm including them below.

Experience
    Group

(CR )

24th: Hrothgar, Lindir, Thórsljón
    25th: Elvira

Individual

Caerwyn
    +500 discussing new 9th-level spell for Elvira
    +0 group experience
    Caerwyn total 1000

Yamirus
    +400 discussing new 9th-level spell for Elvira
    +400 discussing Improved Spell Capacity
    +400 discussing Epic Spell Penetration
    +400 discussing new 0-level spell for Luthia
    +400 discussing new 2nd-level spell for Luthia
    +400 discussing new feat for Luthia
    +0 group experience
    Yamirus total 2400

Hrothgar
    +500 discussing sonorous hum and dolorous blow with Elvira and Thórsljón
    +0 group experience
    Hrothgar total 1500

Elvira
    +500 discussing Improved Spell Capacity
    +500 discussing Epic Spell Penetration
    +500 discussing new 0-level spell for Luthia
    +500 discussing new 2nd-level spell for Luthia
    +500 discussing sonorous hum and dolorous blow with Hrothgar and Thórsljón
    +1,000 suggesting adding a +6 enhancement bonus for Charisma to Yamirus' +5 cloak of protection to raise his leadership score quickly so that Luthia doesn't have to fall back to 22nd level long and can shortly level back up to 24th (I'm also giving her a 2 free ranks in Diplomacy for being willing to burn the experience to do the addition itself, rather than giving her bonus experience that would offset the experience she would have to use to do the addition)
    +0 group experience
    Elvira total 4500

Thórsljón
    +500 discussing sonorous hum and dolorous blow with Elvira and Hrothgar
    +500 discussing new feat for Luthia
    +0 group experience
    Thórsljón total 2000 (WOO-HOO! Thórsljón leveled up to 25th! I think that this level will require some big decisions, like what class or classes he's going to pursuse at epic levels--godling, epic lightning warrior, or an epic prestige class from Epic Level Handbook like divine emissary or guardian paramount. I'm sure I'll write more later in the week, but feel free to check out the two in Epic Level Handbook and see what you think.)

Luthia

Luthia total 0

Lindir (hireling)

+0 group experience
    Lindir total 0

Captain Kostas
    +500 discussing leveling up as an epic legendary captain
    +1000 discussing the family story
    +0 group experience
    Kostas total 1500

Psari
    +0 group experience
    Psari total 1000

Thalassa
    +0 group experience
    Thalassa total 1000

Downloads
    Uploads
    Update and Experience
    10/24/09

This week we mostly worked on leveling up Thórsljón. We had to chosen from among five different prestige classes, including the non-epic class avenging angel, the epic classes divine emissary, guardian paramount, and godling, and epic levels of the lightning warrior prestige class of which he already had 10 non-epic levels. I wrote up a multi-page analysis and was leaning toward godling (which over the course of 10 levels grants you a divine rank of 0) until I realized that he needs more levels of lightning warrior (or something else that grants additional uses of rage) in order to qualify for the epic feats Epic Rage and Hyper Rage. So we ultimately decided on him taking his next 6 levels as lightning warrior. (He needs all 6 to get the two additional uses of rage per day he needs to take Hyper Rage). To paraphrase an old movie title, godling can wait. :-D

When we last advanced the story, Luthia had gone off with her father, Celebrezrum, so show him that she really is a silver dragon (although he did sound like he's already accepted her claim based on his references to "your mother" and so forth). Celebrezrum had called the attention of the priestesses of Apollo who had been attending him to a couple of the "foreign angels" from his song, Thórsljón and Hrothgar. Yamirus, Adelpha, Elvira and Caerwyn sat down to await Luthia's return.

The priestesses of Apollo hung all over Thórsljón and Hrothgar, and after a while Thórsljón announced that they were going deeper into the Temple of Apollo for an "interfaith exchange" with the priestesses. Hrothgar said, "Don't vait up" and winked at Yamirus and the others. Then Thórsljón, Hrothgar and the priestesses departed. Adelpha made a joke about Thórsljón and Hrothgar, rather than she and Yamirus, needing a chaperone.

Some time later Yamirus felt some a pang of anxiety from Luthia, 5-10 minutes later she and Celebrezrum returned. Celebrezrum asked to speak with Yamirus in a side chamber, where Celebrezrum said that Luthia wanted to stay the night with him but felt bad leaving Yamirus. Yamirus said it was ok. He said he fact that he was happy she felt thrilled to meet her father. Yamirus gave her a hug and a kiss on the cheek, and she asked if he was sure he wouldn't feel bad. He assured her he wouldn't. She asked Adelpha to keep him company, but Adelpha said that if Luthia meant spending the night with Yamirus that wasn't going to happen. Luthia made an annoyed comment about human mating rituals. Adelpha cocked her head and asked what she meant by that, but Yamirus deflected her by saying, "Kids say the darnedest things."

Celebrezrum and Luthia left the room again, and as it was late Yamirus, Adelpha, Elvira and Caerwyn decided to return to the Apollian Way Inn. They tried going back out to the amphitheater, but a cluster of guards at the doors to the amphitheater told them they'd already locked up. One of the guards escorted them to the front doors of the temple. Yamirus felt suspicious, but the guard did nothing but escort them to the front doors, only one of which remained open. Along the way Caerwyn spotted some concealed archers, and Yamirus even managed to spot one, but the archers did nothing. The party left the main Temple of Apollo in Apopolis and walked back to the two long blocks to the Apollian Way without incident. Yamirus asked Adelpha how much trouble he'd be in with her grandfather, Counselor Themis, but she assured Yamirus that her grandfather trusted her.

They arrived at the Apollian Way to find it locked up. When they knocked and a guard saw Adelpha, however, they let the party enter. The guards asked Yamirus about his two foreign companions, and he passed along Thórsljón's joke about an "interfaith exchange." The guards laughed. Yamirus took Adelpha aside and kissed her good night, and she responded agreeably. That was the first time they'd kissed.

As August 25, 3035 ended, Yamirus put the finishing touches on Caerwyn's bracers of archery needed to add a +10 armor bonus to them (as +10 bracers of armor). Yamirus ended up supplying all the experience and not taking any from Caerwyn. (I think, however, that Caerwyn supplied half the craft points; Dominic, please tell Marc how many craft points Caerwyn contributed, and Marc please keep track of the number of craft points Caerwyn has contributed over his career. I'm not sure if he's used any before or not, but if you haven't kept track of any before, please start keeping track now. We can calculate his total craft points at his current level during the next session; please remind us.) Elvira put the finishing touches on adding a +6 enhancement bonus for Charisma to Yamirus' +5 cloak of resistance so that it also acts as a +6 cloak of Charisma (as she'd previously done to her own cloak, although I believe in her case she started with a +6 cloak of Charisma and added the +5 resistance bonus). Elvira contributed 540 experience, or a fourth, and Yamirus contributed the rest. They spit the craft points in half, each contributing 2700.

What new surprises (as opposed to old surprises?) will August 26 bring the party? Will the party ever get past the Isle of Aetna on its way to the Labyrinth on the Isle of Minos? Tune in and find out! :-) (P.S. We're starting at 8 PM instead of 6 PM because Dominic is taking his daughter trick-or-treating for her first Halloween. Hey Dominic, what sort of a costume did you get her?)

Experience
    Group
    (CR )

24th: Hrothgar, Lindir
    25th: Elvira, Thórsljón

Individual
    Caerwyn
    +500 telling Yamirus he spotted hidden archers in the Temple of Apollo
    +0 group experience
    Caerwyn total 1,000

Yamirus
    +200 chatting with Adelpha
    +400 happy that Luthia felt thrilled to meet her father
    +800 discussing Luthia staying over with Celebrezrum
    +400 hug and kiss Luthia on the cheek
    +400 Kids say the darnedest things."
    +400 asking Adelpha how much trouble he was in for getting her back late
    +400 using with the guards at the Apollian Way Thórsljón's joke about an interfaith exchange between Thórsljón and Hrothgar, priests of Thór, and the priestesses of Apollo
    +400 kissing Adelpha good night (and kissing her for the first time)
    +0 group experience
    Yamirus total 3,400

Hrothgar
    +500 "Don't vait up" and winking
    +0 group experience
    Hrothgar total 1,000

Elvira
    -540 adding +6 Charisma enhancement bonus to Yamirus' +5 cloak of Charisma.
    +0 group experience
    Elvira total -40

Thórsljón
    +500 "interfaith exchange" with the priestesses of Apollo
    +0 group experience
    Thórsljón total 1,000

Luthia
    +400 feeling anxious about asking Yamirus if he would mind her staying the night with Celebrezrum
    +400 asking if Yamirus would be ok without her
    +400 asking Adelpha to keep Yamirus company
    +400 commenting on human mating rituals

+0 (24/26 of Yamirus's total, but I'm not including the sort of stuff for which I gave Yamirus experience in this session. Note that with Yamirus's new Charisma score Luthia can level up to 24th, which is great because she's only 496 from 25th!)
    Luthia total 1600

Lindir (hireling)

+0 group experience
    Lindir total 0

Captain Kostas
    +0 group experience
    Kostas total 0

Psari

+0 group experience
    Psari total 0

Thalassa

+0 group experience
    Thalassa total 0

Downloads
    Uploads
    Update and Experience
    10/31/09

In the most recent session we discovered that the party didn't have enough money to pay for adding a +10 armor bonus to Caerwyn's greater bracers of archery and adding a +6 enhancement bonus to Charisma to Yamirus' +5 cloak of resistance. So we traveled back in time to earlier in the day on August 25, 3035 Second Age to when the party had been out and about shopping in Apopolis. Caerwyn suggested selling his arrows of slaying to help raise money for the two enchantments. Thórsljón suggested, however, that the party should sell Thórsljón arrows first since Thórsljón almost never uses his bow. Elvira suggested selling unclaimed items from the party inventory that nobody would miss. Caerwyn scoured the inventory list for items the party could sell. Thórsljón reminded Yamirus that the party still had some pricey blue diamonds it could sell to raise a substantial portion of the funds.

While looking through the inventory Thórsljón suggested some rearrangements of healing items among himself, Hrothgar and Luthia so that each would have substantial healing power with a good percentage chance of making the healing work. So Luthia ended up with the staff of revivify and mass heal and the new, fully-charged staff of life that the party took from Captain Andreas of the Spathi, Hrothgar got the mass heal scrolls and the old, almost-depleted staff of life, and Thórsljón got some backup heal scrolls. Thórsljón also helped with the calculation of the party's money, and reminded Caerwyn and Yamirus that they had their own individual funds they could contribute to their own enchantments, which not only got the party enough money to do both enchantments but to do so without selling the old staff of life or any of the party's arrows of slaying.

We also spent some time calculating Caerwyn's craft points, which come from the 3rd Ed Unearthed Arcana and allow characters to quickly enchant items. We hadn't previously kept track of his craft point total and craft points used, since he'd only contributed what turned out to be 3600 out of about 30,000, but helping Yamirus with the bracers cost him another 15,000 craft points so that Caerwyn has now used more than half his total.

Experience
    Group

(CR )

24th: Caerwyn, Hrothgar, Lindir

Individual

Caerwyn
    +500 suggesting selling his arrows of slaying to help raise money for the two enchantments
    +500 scouring the inventory list for items the party could sell
    +500 contributing own funds to his enchantment
    +500 helping to calculate Caerwyn's craft points and craft points used.
    +0 group experience
    Caerwyn total 2500

Yamirus
    +500 discovering that the party didn't have enough money to pay for the two enchantments
    +500 keeping track of the party inventory
    +500 keeping track of the party money
    +500 contributing own funds to his enchantment
    +0 group experience
    Yamirus total 2500

Hrothgar

+0 group experience
    Hrothgar total 500

Elvira
    +500 suggesting selling unclaimed items from the party inventory that nobody would miss
    +0 group experience
    Elvira total 1500

Thórsljón
    +500 suggesting selling his arrows instead of Caerwyn's
    +500 reminding that the party still had some pricey blue diamonds it could sell
    +1,500 rearranging healing items for best use
    +500 doing money calculations
    +500 reminding Caerwyn and Yamirus that they had their own individual funds
    +0 group experience
    Thórsljón total 4000

Luthia
    +400
    +0 (24/26 of Yamirus's total, but I'm not including the sort of stuff for which I gave Yamirus experience in this session. Note that with Yamirus's new Charisma score Luthia can level up to 24th, which is great because she's only 496 from 25th!)
    Luthia total 0

Lindir (hireling)

+0 group experience
    Lindir total 0

Captain Kostas
    +0 group experience
    Kostas total 0

Psari

+0 group experience
    Psari total 0

Thalassa

+0 group experience
    Thalassa total 0

Update and Experience
    11/07/09

In last night's session I yapped at length about my job, the recent election, the House's passage of ObamaCare, and various and sundry non-D&D topics. We did manage to play a little actual D&D though. Yamirus, Caerwyn and Elvira all rose on the morning of August 26, 3035 and went down to the common room of the Apollian Way Inn. Captain Kostas was already waiting for them, grumpy as usual, and anxious to get to work on rebuilding the Delfini, which the mature adult red dragons, Embresh and Conflagrax, had burned to the waterline in the lagoon of the Isle of Aetna the previous day. Yamirus made small talk with Kostas. Eugenios, Adelpha's brother, asked them if they wanted anything, and Kostas ordered some fish. Yamirus said that he was having breakfast with Celebrezrum, and Eugenios expressed envy, as Celebrezrum is such an amazing--one might say epic--entertainer. :-) Eugenios speculated that his sister had something to do with the breakfast invitations, and Yamirus and Eugenios laughed about her persuasiveness. Thalassa and Psari had taken the unusual opportunity of privacy for some quality intimate time, and joined them a bit later, as they waited for Adelpha. Yamirus assured Kostas that they'd have a quick breakfast with Celebrezrum, who had agreed to play the lyre of building, and be on their way to rebuild the Delfini. Kostas said he was glad because he'd had enough "dilly-dallying around." An hour later, however, they remained in the common room, waiting for Adelpha. Yamirus asked Eugenios to go find her, and Eugenios returned in a few minutes to say that Adelpha was "making herself beautiful" and would be there shortly. Shortly, however, turned into 15 minutes, but she did look good and not at all like someone who'd awakened from a late night.

Yamirus, Caerwyn, Elvira and Adelpha made their way back to the main temple of Apollo. Yamirus wanted to try the stage door but Adelpha led them to the main door, now fully open at 9 AM. Adelpha noticed the guards staring at Elvira, and said, "Yes, this is the black elf from foreign lands, companion of the foreign angels who wrestled Heracles." The guards, impressed, asked Elvira if they could help her, and she had Yamirus translate and ask them to lead the party to Celebrezrum. One of the guards said he was happy to do so and returned them to the antechamber where they'd met Celebrezrum the night before and now found Celebrezrum and Luthia attended by two priestesses of Apollo, neither of whom had been among the priestesses in the chamber the night before (four of whom had left with Hrothgar and Thórsljón). On the way there Yamirus felt Luthia's happiness and she greeted him excitedly when they entered the antechamber. Luthia asked if Yamirus had been alright (alone) the previous night, and he said that he had been. He asked if she had been having a good time and she said that she'd been telling her father all about the party's adventures. Yamirus expressed concern that she'd stayed up all night, but she said that she hadn't and said nearly gave away in front of Adelpha that Luthia and Celebrezrum are dragons in the process of starting to make a joke about dragons being good at sleeping. Luthia though caught herself in time.

Celebrezrum started to introduce them to his cabinet of feasting, which he said could provide the best of feats for up to 40 people. Yamirus joked that Hrothgar and Thórsljón could account for 10 of those between the two of them. Celebrezrum asked them where Hrothgar and Thórsljón where, and Yamirus said that they were probably still off having a religious exchange with the priestesses. Celebrezrum laughed at the notion of the "religious exchange" between priests of Thór and priestesses of Apollo, and asked one of the priestesses to go invite Hrothgar and Thórsljón to breakfast. As the priestess turned to go, Yamirus joked that she should mention "feast" to encourage their attendance. Will Hrothgar and Thórsljón and return for breakfast, or will the grail-shaped beacon of the priestesses persuade them to stay and face the peril?! (Monty Python reference. :-) ) Tune in next week and find out! :-D

Experience
    Group

(CR )

Individual

Caerwyn
    +0 group experience
    Caerwyn total 500

Yamirus
    +500 small talk with Kostas
    +500 assuring Kostas that they'd be rebuilding soon
    +500 interacting with Eugenios
    +500 interacting with Adelpha
    +500 concern for Luthia
    +500 Hrothgar and Thórsljón could account for 10
    +500 mention "feast" to encourage their attendance
    +0 group experience
    Yamirus total 3500

Hrothgar
    +500 spending the night in an "interfaith exchange" with priestesses of Apollo
    +500 still being engaged in the "interfaith exchange" with priestesses of Apollo the next morning when the rest of the party returned to Celebrezrum
    +0 group experience
    Hrothgar total 1500

Elvira
    +500 asking the impressed guards to lead the party to Celebrezrum
    +0 group experience
    Elvira total 1000

Thórsljón
    +500 spending the night in an "interfaith exchange" with priestesses of Apollo
    +500 still being engaged in the "interfaith exchange" with priestesses of Apollo the next morning when the rest of the party returned to Celebrezrum
    +0 group experience
    Thórsljón total 1500

Luthia
    +500 concern for Yamirus
    +500 telling Celebrezrum about the party's adventures
    +0 (24/26 of Yamirus's group total. Note that Luthia now has 506 more than enough to level up to 25th, but can't until Yamirus gets his Leadership Score and level higher, I believe 2 for the Leadership score and 1 for the level.)
    Luthia total 1000

Lindir (hireling)

+0 group experience
    Lindir total 0

Captain Kostas
    +500 had enough "dilly-dallying around."
    +0 group experience
    Kostas total 500

Psari
    +500 some quality intimate time
    +0 group experience
    Psari total 500

Thalassa
    +0 group experience
    Thalassa total 500

Downloads
    Uploads
    Update and Experience
    11/14/09

We started late last night because I didn't get to sleep until yesterday afternoon and then slept until about 8:30 PM. As usual I yapped a lot about other things before getting down to DMing. :-P The previous night I'd had a close encounter (less than three feet) with a skunk that took aim at me before I, realizing that no cat would raise its tail when disturbed by a stranger at midnight in the garbage dump, and bolted just in time. Later that morning my upstairs neighbor had a second loud party and this time I called the cops on her. (Even as I'm typing I'm hearing her getting up around the same time she went to sleep yesterday morning! I thought she'd gone elsewhere to party last night, but perhaps she just went to bed early after her drunken revelry of the previous morning.) I wish I could have just sent the skunk up there instead!

In the previous session Yamirus, Caerwyn, Elvira and Adelpha arrived at the main temple of Apollo in Apopolis for breakfast with Celebrezrum and Luthia. As Hrothgar and Thórsljón hadn't returned yet from their "interfaith exchange" with some priestesses of Apollo, Celebrezrum asked one of the priestesses attending him to go invite the Hrothgar and Thórsljón to breakfast. Celebrezrum, in the meantime, showed Yamirus his magnificent cabinet of feasting, which three times per day magically produces food of the highest quality. The cabinet produces enough food for 40 diners. A person who spends an hour eating the food gets all the benefits of the heroes' feast spell. Yamirus asked Celebrezrum both what the cabinet did and what someone needs to create one. Celebrezrum said to create it a person needs and heroes' feast spell and the ability to craft epic wondrous items. Celebrezrum asked Yamirus if he wanted to wait for Hrothgar and Thórsljón before beginning to eat, but Yamirus said, "No, they wouldn't wait for us."

As they started to partake of the cabinet's fine food, Adelpha remembered that her grandfather, Counselor Tsaosis, wanted to speak with Yamirus. Yamirus asked if she knew what he wanted. Adelpha didn't know but said that her grandfather had had a "serious talk" face, and she did a comical impression of the face. Hrothgar and Thórsljón arrived just then, with half a dozen priestesses of Apollo hanging all over them. Both men looked pleased, and Thórsljón remarked that the ways of the priestesses of Apollo where different from the ways of the priestesses of Sif (Thór's wife) or even Freya, but were sweet and pleasant.

"Ja!" replied Hrothgar, "VERY pleasant!"

Yamirus, however, did not share their enthusiasm, and said, "Could you wait on filling me in on your religious experience until after I eat?!"

"Who knew you vere [were] such a prude? You'd think vith..." Hrothgar started to reply, only to be elbowed into unaccustomed silence by Thórsljón before he could spill the beans about Maria (Yamirus' lady of the evening back in Maralig) in front of Adelpha.

The rest of the breakfast passed uneventfully, if you can call uneventful getting the benefits of a heroes' feast spell. Celebrezrum asked Yamirus if he wanted to go rebuild the boat, but Yamirus demurred, saying that first he had to go talk to Adelpha's grandfather, Themis. Yamirus offered to return to the temple to get Celebrezrum after the talk, or for Celebrezrum to come with. Celebrezrum didn't want Yamirus to have to come back out of his way, and so went with back to the Apollian Way Inn.

Back at the Apollian Way Adelpha's brother, Eugenios, didn't even know that Themis wanted to talk to Yamirus, but went and asked, and then brought Yamirus to Themis. Themis said that he understood that Yamirus had to go try to rescue his mother, and wouldn't try to dissuade him. Themis said that if Yamirus survived, that some people in Apopolis with means might be willing to help Yamirus help his people in a major way. Themis explained that Yamirus' speech had converted many of the elite of Apopolis from sympathy toward the Volencians to a desire to actively help, and that as a result Yamirus had become the face of Volencia in Apopolis. Although some of his friends had developed some celebrity too (Hrothgar and Thórsljón for wrestling Heracles), only Yamirus really had the position, because of his speech, to inspire help as the face of Volencia. Themis remarked that even the city's top investigator had had good things to say about the way Yamirus had handled being questioned in the unfortunate incident of the murder of the Castorian Assistant Counsel. Themis figured that Yamirus might particularly appreciate being lauded by someone who advanced based on merit. So Themis advised Yamirus that, succeed or fail in rescuing his mother, Yamirus should keep himself alive.

Yamirus thanked Themis for the honor, and said that he would try to keep himself alive but that he would be abandoning his sacred honor if he abandoned his mother to imprisonment on the Isle of Minos.

Themis went further and said that if Yamirus might want to settle down in Apopolis--meaning living there some of the time, as might a merchant who went on long sea voyages--that Themis might arrange for the Ekklesia to grant him and perhaps some of his companions citizenship. Citizenship, Themis continued, might lead to a more formal alliance between the Tsaosis (his) family and the Antonitus (Yamirus') family, "assuming all parties are amenable--if you know what I mean."

Yamirus did know what Themis meant--that, assuming Adelpha and Yamirus were both amenable, and Yamirus became a citizen, Themis would sanction a marriage between the two. Yamirus thanked Themis sincerely, and said that he would try to live up to such an honor. Themis said that he knew Yamirus would (not specifying if he meant that he knew Yamirus would live up to the honor or just try to live up to the honor) and against cautioned Yamirus to keep himself alive for it.

The prospect of marriage to Adelpha got Yamirus to reflect on his relationships with Maria and Adelpha. He was pretty sure that Maria wouldn't feel hurt the way that Adelpha would if one were to learn about the other, and doubted that, having started something potentially serious with Adelpha, he would indulge with Maria again. (Dominic, if you'd like to write up something to share with us, that would be great, but there's no pressure if you don't have time. If you do write something too it needn't be definitive--it's fine if Yamirus feels torn about it. :-))

Yamirus then asked if he could discuss another matter, and Themis agreed. Yamirus suggested that because of her connection to him Adelpha might be in danger from Castorian reprisals. While Themis thought it unlikely that the Castorians would risk the ill will of Apopolis by attacking a member of one of the pryanties, he still thought it was a good idea. He joked though about Adelpha chafing at having a chaperone all the time. Yamirus laughed and offered to shake hands with Themis, who took the offer. Then Yamirus went to rejoin the others.

The prospect of marriage to Adelpha got Yamirus to reflect on his relationships with Maria and Adelpha. He was pretty sure that Maria wouldn't feel hurt the way that Adelpha would if one were to learn about the other, and doubted that, having started something potentially serious with Adelpha, he would indulge with Maria again. (Dominic, if you'd like to write up something to share with us, that would be great, but there's no pressure if you don't have time. If you do write something too it needn't be definitive--it's fine if Yamirus feels torn about it. :-))

Will Yamirus give up his intimate friendship with the charming Maria, a fellow Volencian, for the prospect of marriage and political alliance with the equally-charming daughter of the Graikoí merchant elite? I suspect that we won't find out next week, but tune in anyway. :-D

Experience
    Group
    (CR )

Individual

Caerwyn
    +0 group experience
    Caerwyn total 500

Yamirus
    +500 asking Celebrezrum about the benefits of and requirements for making cabinet of feasting
    +500 would be abandoning his sacred honor if he abandoned his mother to imprisonment on the Isle of Minos
    +500 increasing security around Adelpha
    +500 shaking hands with Themis
    +1000 internal revere about Maria and Adelpha
    +0 group experience
    Yamirus total 3000

Hrothgar
    +500 "Ja, very pleasant!"
    +500 "Who knew you vere such a prude? You'd think vith..."
    +0 group experience
    Hrothgar total 1500

Elvira

+0 group experience
    Elvira total 500

Thórsljón
    +500 sweet and pleasant
    +500 elbowing Hrothgar before he could spill the beans about Maria (Yamirus' lady of the evening back in Maralig) in front of Adelpha
    +0 group experience
    Thórsljón total 1500

Luthia

+0 (24/26 of Yamirus's group total. Note that Luthia now has 506 more than enough to level up to 25th, but can't until Yamirus gets his Leadership Score and level higher, I believe 2 for the Leadership score and 1 for the level.)
    Luthia total 0

Lindir (hireling)

+0 group experience
    Lindir total 0

Captain Kostas

+0 group experience
    Kostas total 0

Psari
    +0 group experience
    Psari total 0

Thalassa
    +0 group experience
    Thalassa total 0

Downloads
    Uploads
    Update and Experience
    12/5/09

In this week's session, Yamirus and Elvira teleported the party, including Celebrezrum, Captain Kostas, Psari and Thalassa back to the beach on the lagoon of the Isle of Aetna. Yamirus asked Thórsljón and Luthia to fly around the construction site and watch for more encroaching red dragons or other threats. Luthia didn't respond, while Thórsljón mentioned that Yamirus had wanted Thórsljón to operate the dancing saw the party had bought the previous day. Yamirus agreed but Thórsljón said that if he wasn't going to fly a patrol around the construction site he might as well pull out his own axe and chop trees while someone else operated the saw. (In fact he could also just set the saw going and then chop other trees, pausing only to direct the saw to a new tree each time it finished with a tree.) Yamirus agreed that it would go faster with both the saw and Thórsljón chopping down trees.

So Yamirus asked Caerwyn if Caerwyn would like a fly spell so that Caerwyn could fly a patrol with his bow instead, and Caerwyn agreed. As we finished the session, Yamirus cast the fly spell on Caerwyn.

Experience
    Group

(CR )

Individual

Caerwyn
    +500 agreeing to fly a patrol around the construction site
    +0 group experience
    Caerwyn total 1000

Yamirus
    +500 figuring out who would teleport whom
    +500 asking Thórsljón and Luthia to fly a patrol
    +500 asking Caerwyn to fly a patrol
    +500 agreeing that Thórsljón should chop with his axe while the saw worked to as to speed the construction
    +0 group experience
    Yamirus total 2000

Hrothgar
    +0 group experience
    Hrothgar total 500 (Woo-Hoo! Hrothgar is only 991 from 25th!)

Elvira
    +500 helping teleport the party back to Aetna
    +0 group experience
    Elvira total 1000

Thórsljón
    +500 pointing out that Yamirus wanted him to operate the saw
    +500 offering to chop with his axe while the saw worked so as to speed construction
    +0 group experience
    Thórsljón total 1500

Luthia
    +500 letting Thórsljón distract Yamirus so that she didn't have to fly boring patrol duty
    Luthia total 500

Lindir (hireling)

+0 group experience
    Lindir total 0

Captain Kostas

+0 group experience
    Kostas total 0

Psari

+0 group experience
    Psari total 0

Thalassa

+0 group experience
    Thalassa total 0

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    dam 0.0.... thats crazy!

in a good way =P

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm glad you liked it, Lucifer! I gets even crazier after that when the four red dragons attack. We're still in the middle of that combat.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    so the +500 is the ep you just randomly give out for them doing things like returning to town and what not? o.0?

thats ALOT of xp!!

still havn;t had time to READ all of it Z_Z

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    LucifeR, at the level that these characters are at, getting 500 Experience Points is about the same as a first level character getting say maybe 10 points. There is a huge space inbetween the amount of XP that was needed to gain thier current level and what is need to move up to the next level. As a DM/GM, even in games with epic level characters, you need to have the players see that it is possible for these character to advance in levels.

CB, It is always interesting to read you session posts. Looking forward to reading about the battle with all 4 red dragons.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cplmac View Post
    LucifeR, at the level that these characters are at, getting 500 Experience Points is about the same as a first level character getting say maybe 10 points..
    ahh thank you i should have seen that coming X_X

yeah i am gettign hooked. i want to see the fight!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by LucifeR View Post
    so the +500 is the ep you just randomly give out for them doing things like returning to town and what not? o.0?

thats ALOT of xp!!

still havn;t had time to READ all of it Z_Z
    Quote Originally Posted by cplmac View Post
    LucifeR, at the level that these characters are at, getting 500 Experience Points is about the same as a first level character getting say maybe 10 points. There is a huge space inbetween the amount of XP that was needed to gain thier current level and what is need to move up to the next level. As a DM/GM, even in games with epic level characters, you need to have the players see that it is possible for these character to advance in levels.

CB, It is always interesting to read you session posts. Looking forward to reading about the battle with all 4 red dragons.
    Quote Originally Posted by LucifeR View Post
    ahh thank you i should have seen that coming X_X

yeah i am gettign hooked. i want to see the fight!
    Thanks, guys! I wasn't sure anyone was reading my updates here anymore. Sorry it's taken me a couple of days to reply--I teach at two colleges and it's been a busy week with midterms, a cheating students, and not getting a full-time position. A bad busy week.

Anyway I was going to say that at 1st level, 500 gets you 50% of the way to the next level. At 5th level it gets you 10%. At 25th level it gets you 2%. The characters currently range from 24th to 26th.

Lately there's just the wizard's player who comes to play in person, and the ranger/elite scout's player calls from another state and plays by speaker phone. I didn't even know that he'd moved a third time and now calls from Connecticut instead of New York! Or if I did know, I forgot. Anyway, so I spent most of the session yapping about other stuff until I get down to DMing in earnest for anywhere from 15 to maybe 90 minutes. We really need to add some more players so that I spend most of the session actually DMing!

Anyway, so we've been moving very slowly through the combat. Two of the dragons are ancient and two are wyrms. They're all spelled up and they came in and nuked the party in retribution for the party killing their children (the two mature adults the party killed). It's very much touch and go, and at one point most of the party had died. I theory I could write weekly updates even in the middle of the combat, as I've done that before, but in practice I've been so busy with other things that I haven't even tried. I have been taking copious notes, however, so that I'll be able to write it all up after it's done. Maybe if I have time during my one college's spring break I'll try to do an update even if we haven't finished the fight.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Update and Experience
    12/12/09 - 2/5/11

It's been about 13 months since I last sent and Update and Experience. I've been busy with two jobs and for a while training for a third (which was supposed to start last month and might start in April now). We've also moved very slowly through the campaign because I tend to talk for most of the session. In about 57 weeks we've played 44 times, and we finally finished what we started after the last session I reported, so it seems like a good time to try to get out another Update and Experience.

In our last reported session, December 5, 2009, the party had teleported back to the Isle of Aetna to rebuild the Delfini, the fishing boat they'd chartered to take them from the Graikoí city of Zeusopolis to the Isle of Minos, where Yamirus's mother had been taken after the Castorians sold her into slavery some 15 years earlier, when Yamirus was a small boy. She apparently has been a prisoner all those years of Asterios, THE Minotaur, himself a prisoner of the Labyrinth for the sins he, a half-divine son of Zeus, committed a thousand years ago as emperor of the Minos.

Last time Caerwyn used a fly spell to start flying a patrol around the party as Thórsljón began chopping trees, some with the dancing saw the party purchased back in Apopolis and some with his own axe at the same time, so that Luthia's father, the famed (draconic) bard Celebrezrum, could use the party's lyre of building to rebuild the Delfini, which two mature adult red dragons had destroyed while breathing fire on the party members aboard. The red dragons were part of an extended family of red dragons tasked by Zeus to guard the volcano called Mount Aetna in case Typhon, whom Zeus trapped under the volcano, should ever break his bonds. Some red wyrmlings had, the previous day, come upon the beached Delfini in the lagoon of the Isle of Aetna and thought it great sport to burn up the sails and as much of the hulls (and as many of the crew) as possible. So Captain Kostas, his son Psari and daughter-in-law Thalassa had fought them off, killing one in the process, and the mature adults came seeking revenge.

While the party was standing around watching Thórsljón chop, four colossal red dragons popped up invisibly over the ridge separating the lagoon from the Graikoí Sea and attacked the party. The red dragons, parents of the mature adults the party had killed earlier, included two ancient red dragons and two wyrms. I actually have a turn-by-turn record of the 25 rounds of ensuing combat, but in the interest of getting the experience done before tonight's session, I'm going to try to write a brief summary (which, knowing me, means a long summary, but still a summary); perhaps later I can create a file with the round-by-round detail for anyone interested. (I believe in rounds it's actually the second-longest combat, after a 33-round combat with the drow, who were looking to take Elvira back to Melanonearon for punishment.)

One of the wyrms flew up and created a maximized animated breath (similar to a fire elemental but actually a construct) that proceeded to set Thalassa on fire. Thórsljón flew over to attack the animated breath, and the other wyrm and two ancient red dragons all breathed fire on the party, getting virtually everyone in all three breaths. Most of the party died. Caerwyn and Thórsljón, with improved evasion, managed to survive, but Luthia and Lindir, who also have improved evasion, both died anyway, as did everyone else except Celebrezrum, who regularly spells up each day with multiple energy immunity spells (including energy immunity (fire) of course, since as a silver dragon he's particularly vulnerable to it).

Celebrezrum, fortunately, managed to bring everyone back using a miracle (and 5,000 experience points). The red dragons, however, fell upon the party, snatching party members, holding them helpless, and chewing them up. Celebrezrum managed, with some help from Luthia and her staff, to keep almost everyone else alive for a while with mass heal spells. Elvira teleported to the Oracle back in the Wildwood where she spelled up and got some buff spells from the Oracle (whom you might recall the party raised from the dead) before returning to start blasting the dragons with split ray coherent light (9th-level) spells (from the Nador Spells file). Yamirus broke his small statue of Arandor (the gold dragon whom the party also raised from the dead), calling him immediately to the site of the battle.

Upon Arandor's arrival, he and Celebrezrum had the following exchange:

Arandor: Celebrezrum, why didn't you call me if you needed help?

Celebrezrum: Arandor, why didn't you accompany Yamirus to rescue his mother?

Arandor: You know I have other obligations.

Celebrezrum: Exactly.

Arandor (looking annoyed and changing the subject): I assume you tried talking to them?

Celebrezrum: Of course.

Arandor: Reds!

Celebrezrum: Well don't say it when they can hear you.

Arandor: Maybe they don't know you're a dragon.

Celebrezrum: Well there could be advantages in that, but they know now.

Arandor (to the red dragons): Know thou that I am Arandor, Keeper of the Sacred Light of the Mithril Dragon. Cease your attacks on my humanoid friends and you may leave in peace!

Infergronx (laughing): There are no mithril dragons. They're all dead.

At this point Arandor cast a spell and rose to attack Brunraxa, who ended up grabbing him in her mouth.

Hrothgar, himself trapped in the mouth of one of the ancient dragons and unable to cast any spell requiring movement, got his heart's desire by casting an exalted fury (9th-level) spell (from the Book of Exalted Deeds), exploding for 400 points of damage in the mouth of one dragon and right next to the head of a second dragon. Hrothgar's sacrifice turned the tide of the battle, forcing the two wyrms to spend a couple of rounds casting heal spells and giving the party the chance to switch from desperately casting mass heal spells to casting greater dispel magic spells to strip off at least some of the 24 spells the dragons had cast on themselves, in particular spell turning and energy immunity (cold). One of the wyrms, Brunraxa grabbed Arandor in his mouth, and with her righteous might spell making her colossal just had too much size and strength for him to break free. She killed him, but as the Keeper of the Sacred Light of the Mithril Dragon, he exploded in a burst of holy silver light that seriously wounded her again, making her flee underwater for several rounds to heal herself.

After Yamirus and Elvira carved up one of the ancient dragons, Calagraxa, with coherent light spells and Calagraxa started to flee with Captain Kostas in a claw, Thórsljón used Dire Charge to catch up to her. He scored three critical hits in a row, and used his lightning critical class ability to make two extra attacks, inflicting a couple of hundred points of damage in one round and killing her.

Luthia's mother Melia, had been keeping company with Arandor in Maralig, as the party had seen the previous day. She spelled up after Arandor disappeared, used a crystal ball to scry on him, and then teleported to the scene of the battle. Together with Yamirus, Elvira, Celebrezrum and even Thalassa she made use of multiple greater dispel magic spells (and some regular dispel magic spells) to take down as many of the dragons' spells as possible, while Yamirus used arcane sight to let the party know if they'd dispelled the a dragon's spell turning and energy immunity (cold) spells. Together they were able to take down Infergronx, one of the wyrms.

With Brunraxa off underwater healing herself and Calaxgrax's skull shattered across an acre by Thórsljón's lightning criticals, that briefly left only one of the ancient red dragons, Flamgarax. Flamgarax grabbed Luthia and fled underwater (the red dragons all had cast freedom of movement), but Yamirus saved the day by teleporting Thórsljón, who had both freedom of movement and water breathing spells) underwater to stop Flamgarax. Celebrezrum too teleported underwater, and Melia flew at the surface level and used a staff of mass heal to restore the trapped Luthia to full hit points. Thórsljón offered Flamgarax, who was badly hurt, the option of releasing Luthia or dying, so Flamgarax released Luthia and fled--only to take about 5 rounds to heal, spell up again, and return for one last vengeful attempt to kill at least Luthia.

Brunraxa returned after Flamgarax had fled, and hit most of the party with an empowered maximized admixed breath that killed Melia and Psari. Luthia escaped by the scales on her back, having been just 5 feet beyond the maximum range of Brunraxa's breath. Yamirus too escaped by just the skin of his teeth, his hastily reapplied false life and protection from energy (fire) giving him just enough extra protection to leave hi with about 1 hit point. (In fairness, the chant of fortitude that Celebrezrum did every round of the combat would have allowed Yamirus to remain conscious even at negative hit points, but it was still a near thing). With only one opponent to fight, however, the surviving party members focused all their fire on Brunraxa, and she didn't last the round.

When Flamgarax returned, he found the party strategically deployed to avoid grouping for his breath weapon and also to protect Luthia. Yamirus, Thalassa and Celebrezrum each dispelled one of Flamgarax's protective spells, and then Elvira hit Flamgarax with a split ray coherent light and actually got a critical hit with the second ray, pretty much sealing Flamgarax's fate. Thórsljón flew into Flamgarax's path, pretty much forcing Flamgarax to change his target from Luthia to Thórsljón. Flamagrax hit Thórsljón and grabbed him, starting to fly away with him, already fairly damaged from Elvira's ray and critical ray. Yamirus blasted Flamagrax with an empowered polar ray. (The older dragons all had the feats Iron Will, Suppress Weakness and Overcome Weakness from Draconomicon, but without energy immunity (cold), Flamagarax still felt the freezer burn!) Thórsljón used a feat of strength and broke free of Flamagarax's mouth, managing to hit him twice. Then Elvira hit Flamgarax with a maximized reciprocal gyre (from Spell Compendium), which does 1d12 per spell on the target, so it did 21d12 maximized to 252 points. Flamgarax would have died but for his fortunate fate spell, which healed 150 of the 252 points immediately, leaving him alive but grievously wounded. Using her celerity spell's extra action, she cast another maximized reciprocal gyre, killing him, and finally ending the combat that took 25 minutes in game time and 13 months in the real world!

Will the party find tons of treasure on the dragons? Will it ever get off the Isle of Aetna to resume it's three-day tour? Turn in to the next Update and Experience (which hopefully I'll get to do sooner than 13 months from now) and find out! :-D

Experience
    Group

Note: I've given out a substantial amount of experience to party members over the past 13 months for various things we've done by email, like choosing new feats (I adopted the Pathfinder rule of characters getting a feat every 2 levels instead of every 3 levels), and let party members level up during the 13 months. I'm going to award experience for the dragons, however, based on a party member's' level at the start of the combat in order to maximize how much each party member gets. I'm also raising the CR of each dragon by +2 because in the early rounds of the combat I treated the dragons' greater invisibility as though it were superior invisibility so that Yamirus and Celebrezrum couldn't see the red dragons despite having active see invisibility spells.

I ended up giving only a third of a share of the experience to Psari, Thalassa, Kostas and Lindir. It was hard to evaluate their contributions. Thalassa probably contributed most between casting greater dispel magic spells and her serving as a primary target for the animated breath and one of the dragons one round. Kostas probably contributed the next most by being Calagraxa's target instead of Thórsljón, whom Calagraxa otherwise would have grappled, preventing him from getting the three critical hits that killed her. I think that neither Psari nor Lindir ever served as the target of a dragon's melee attacks, and each one did some minor healing on other party members. I decide though for the sake of maximizing core party experience and not letting Thalassa's level get too far out of line with Psari's to give each of the 4 of them only a third of a share of the experience.

I also ended up giving Arandor and Thalassa each half a share. Arandor did occupy Brunraxa for several rounds, preventing her from attacking other party members, allowing them to contribute instead of struggle helplessly in a grapple, die, or both. :-D Arandor also exploded in Brunraxa's mouth, adding to the damage that Elvira had done to her and forcing her to flee temporarily to heal back up. Melia did a great deal of healing with her staff. Arguably they both should have gotten a full share, but both arrived after the start and died before the end, plus I'm not really keeping close track of their experience as they're not with the party and do other things "off stage," so I can level them up without really worrying about giving them a full share.

I actually considered giving Celebrezrum two shares of experience because he raised everyone in the party from the dead except Thórsljón and Caerwyn, and his mass heal spells and epic bard buff abilities kept the party alive and effective. His greater dispel magic spells played a pivotal role in stripping the dragon's magical defenses repeatedly. He did not, on the other hand, engage in any combat or cast any offensive spells. I'm not keeping strict track of his experience either, moreover, as he's spent most of his time "offstage" (or on stage!), so I don't really need to worry about advancing him. I also added two of the four dragons after I realized that he would travel with the party to the Isle of Aetna, so the encounter got twice as dangerous when he joined. If I hadn't had him, with his superior invisibility spell, with the party, I doubt too that I would have made my initial error of thinking that the red dragons had superior invisibility, which made the early rounds substantially more lethal. So to get the core party experience as high as possible, I gave him only one share.

(CR )

16th: Psari; Thalassa 21,504
    21st: Kostas 4,704
    24th: Caerwyn, Hrothgar, Lindir 5,760
    25th: Elvira, Thórsljón 4,200
    26th: Yamirus 3,120

Individual

Caerwyn
    +22,000 (+500 being his usual quiet self) x 44 sessions
    +500 flying orbit around the party at 30' up
    +5,760 group experience
    Caerwyn total 28,260 (WOO-HOO! Caerwyn levels up to 27th level!)

Yamirus
    +17,600 (+400 setting up at the beginning of the session) x 44 sessions
    +17,600 (+400 marking party positions at the end of the session) x 44 sessions
    +500 remembering that the Sisiutl was guarding a gate to the Nine Hells
    +500 shouting "use dispel magic!"
    +500 shouting "take care of the fire first!"
    +3,120 group experience
    Yamirus total 39,820 (Did Yamirus level up to 28th?)

Hrothgar
    +22,000 (+500 being his usual overstated self) x 44 sessions
    +500 guessing that the scrying sensor Yamirus spotted with see invisibility belonged to the Sisiutl
    +2,000 blowing himself up with exalted fury and shifting the tide of battle into the party's favor
    +500 remembering that the Sisiutl was the first of its kind
    +5,760 group experience
    Hrothgar total 30,760 (WOO-HOO! Hrothgar levels up to 27th!)

Elvira
    +22,000 (+500 being taciturn as usual) x 44 sessions
    +500 suggesting that she cast a greater invisibility on Caerwyn
    +500 remembering that the Sisiutl is called the Sisiutl
    +500 taking the risk of swooping down to cast celerity on Caerwyn, who had used up all 5 rounds of his Blinding Speed feat.
    +500 taking the risk of swooping down to cast fly on Thalassa so she wouldn't be so much of a sitting duck for Flamgarax when he returned
    +4,200 group experience
    Elvira total 28,200 (WOO-HOO! Elvira levels up to 28th!)

Thórsljón
    +22,000 (+500 being his usual fearless and selfless, um, self? ;-)) x 44 sessions
    +500 operating the dancing saw
    +500 chopping trees manually while operating the dancing saw
    +500 choosing a bigger tree to chop with his axe than he had the dancing saw cutting
    +500 saying that the Sisiutl was THE Sisiutl
    +500 remember that the gate guarded by the Sisiutl goes to the frozen ocean layer of the Nine Hells called Stygia
    +4,200 group experience
    Thórsljón total 28,700 (WOO-HOO! Thórsljón levels up to 28th!)

Luthia

+2,880 (24/26 of Yamirus's group total. Note that Luthia now has 7,392 more than enough to level up to 25th; we will have to check Yamirus' leadership total, but I think Luthia can now level up to 25th.)
    Luthia total 2,880

Lindir (hireling)
    +500 risking coming right up to one of the dragons (albeit under the cover of superior invisibility) so as to heal Thórsljón
    +5,760 group experience
    Lindir total 6,260

Captain Kostas
    +500 "I see you've got a head as well as wings on your shoulders," referring to Thórsljón choosing good trees for wood to rebuild the Delfini
    +500 "Don't go getting all high and mighty!" to Thalassa when she used a polymorph spell to assume the form of a fire giant (with fire immunity!)
    +4,704 group experience
    Kostas total 5,704

Psari
    +500 healing Thalassa despite being threatened by the animated breath
    +1,000 making an impressive, Olympic style dive from the cliff into the lagoon to flee Infergronx, taking no damage while effectively removing himself from pending destruction
    +21,504 group experience
    Psari total 23,004 (WOO-HOO! Psari leveled up to 18th!)

Thalassa
    +500 remembering that the party had told her that the Sisiutl was already watching the Spathi when the Spathi started chasing the Delfini
    +500
    +500 "Can I get a fly spell?"
    +500 using polymorph to turn herself into a fire giant so she had immunity to fire but could still cast spells
    +21,504 group experience
    Thalassa total 23,504 (WOO-HOO! Thalassa leveled up to 18th!)

---------- Post added at 01:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

Update and Experience
    2/12/11 & 2/19/11

In our last reported session, February 5, 2011, the party had just defeat a four red dragons, two ancient and two wyrms, on the Isle of Aetna in the Graikoí Sea, at around noon on August 26th, 3035 of Nador's Second Age.

This week, just as the last evil dragon went down, a colossal-plus dragon of the purest polished silver color appeared in the spot where Arandor the gold dragon had exploded with a pure silver light in the mouth of Brunraxa, one of the red wyrms. The colossal dragon circled down to the body of Brunraxa in the lagoon and began to pull gems out of her scaled, muttering "no good" about many of them and tossing those gems over his shoulder onto the beach, while setting aside a few (eventually 5) that Yamirus, from a distance behind the dragon, could only speculate where diamonds (needed for a true resurrection spell).

Yamirus, who had been flying with a fly spell at the end of the battle with the red dragons, landed on the beach and remained quietly respectful of the colossal-plus dragon, speculating that the dragon was Bahamut himself. As he thought, "I'm not going to take those gems he's tossing on the beach because he might turn around and kill me anyway."

Finally Celebrezrum went around in front of the colossal-plus dragon and said, "Greetings, O Honored One. It's an honor to finally meet you. I've heard much about you and sung about you."

The colossal-plus dragon finally spoke, replying, "Yes, you are, and it's good that you do." Then he turned to Yamirus and said, "Next time you go calling my servant, don't get him killed. I don't want to keep waking up to raise him from the dead." Then he looked around briefly, in particular at Mt. Aetna (the volcano) some miles to the west, sniffed, and said, "What is this stinking place anyway?"

Celebrezrum replied, "It's the Isle of Aetna."

The colossal-plus dragon said, "What are you doing tangling with the reds of Aetna? They're guarding against an evil sherta."

Yamirus explained in a very brief and rapid way that the party had gotten shipwrecked in the island and that the reds had attacked before the party could leave. The colossal-plus dragon snorted with bitterness, "Lousy reds!" He poked the unmoving form of Brunraxa, exclaiming, "Why did you attack them?! I should kill you!" He poked her several more times before resuming his task of pulling gems from her scales. Yamirus felt surprised to realize that she still lived. He thought that he wouldn't mind putting her out of her misery, but since Arandor, Celebrezrum, Luthia and Melia (a gold dragon and three silvers) hadn't wanted to kill red dragons, Yamirus definitely decided to stay silent about it in front of the colossal-plus silver-colored dragon.

After a few more moments the colossal-plus dragon looked around and said, "What are you all standing around for?! Collect Arandor's treasure before the Great Wyrm of Aetna comes. I'm not killing him for you."

Thereupon the party erupted into chaos, with Yamirus directing first one and then another member to alternately pull Melia's body out of the lagoon, pull Flamgarax's body out of the lagoon, get Hrothgar's possessions (Hrothgar having blown himself up, turning the tide of battle to the party's favor), search for treasure on the red dragons, and collect Arandor's possessions. Yamirus, Luthia and Elvira all used detect magic to check for magic items on the red dragons, finding four magic gems embedded on each one. The party also found many valuable non-magical gems. Luthia ran around appraising the gems, and Yamirus' mouth watered as the party collected a total of nearly 665,000 gp worth of gems, not including the 25,000 gp that the colossal-plus dragon had taken to perform a true resurrection on Arandor. (If I've added right, including the value of the 16 magical gems the party found, the party got roughly 1.5 million gold pieces worth of treasure, more even than when they sold all the large, masterwork full plate armor suits from the maug army the party defeated near the Great Bridge.)

While the party fly around collecting and appraising treasure, Celebrezrum pulled Melia's body from the lagoon. (For those who don't recall or might have missed it Celebrezrum and Melia are the parents of Luthia, Yamirus' silver dragon familiar and cohort. Celebrezrum and Melia, however, haven't been together since before Luthia was born, and Melia seems to prefer the company of Arandor the gold dragon.) Celebrezrum began to sing a new song about how the party, with the aid of holy Bahamut's children Luthia, Melia, "and, oh yes, Arandor too," had defeated the evil red dragons of Aetna. Upon hearing the deliberate mention of Arandor last, the colossal-plus dragon, and because Celebrezrum credited Bahamut, the colossal-plus dragon said, "Ah, I see you're giving credit to the Big Guy," and nodded approvingly. Celebrezrum's song played up the heroics of the party and its draconic allies, glorified Bahamut for granting a miracle to restore most of the party to life after the second round, but didn't mention his own role at all.

The colossal-plus dragon, having found the diamonds he needed, turn to Celebrezrum and said, "You don't need me to tell you you're quite good, but make it the short version because I'm found enough diamonds to raise him" (Arandor). Then the colossal-plus dragon spent 10 minutes casting true resurrection on Arandor, and Arandor returned to life, the magic of the spell creating a new body to replace the one that had exploded with pure silver light the same color as the colossal-plus dragon.

Looking around at the chaos and carnage, Yamirus felt bad about calling friends and allies--and getting them slaughtered. He resolved to come to Arandor's aid someday to repay the favor. And as another Update draws to a close, I'll have Celebrezrum sing the magical questions, "Does that mean Yamirus plans to get slaughtered himself?" :-D

Experience
    Group

Note: In the previous Update I forgot to indicate that the ancient red dragons have a CR of 23, while the red wyrms have a CR of 24. Because I ran the first few rounds as though the red dragons had superior invisibility instead of just greater invisibility, so that nobody in the party could see or hear the dragons, I added +2 to the dragons' CRs raising them to 25 for the ancients and 26 for the wyrms.

(CR )

18th: Psari; Thalassa
    24th: Lindir
    27th: Caerwyn, Hrothgar
    28th: Yamirus, Elvira, Thórsljón

Individual

Caerwyn
    +1,000 (+500 being his usual quiet self) x 2 sessions
    +500 helping gather treasure
    +0 group experience
    Caerwyn total 1,500

Yamirus
    +800 (+400 setting up at the beginning of the session) x 2 sessions
    +800 (+400 marking party positions at the end of the session) x 2 sessions
    +500 being quiet and respectful of the colossal-plus dragon
    +500 leaving the gems on the beach alone at first because the colossal-plus dragon might turn around and claim the treasure at any moment
    +500 guessing that the colossal-plus dragon was keeping diamonds for a true resurrection spell for Arandor
    +500 explaining quickly and briefly how the party came to fight the red dragons
    +500 not advocating in front of the colossal-plus dragon that they kill the unconscious Brunraxa
    +500 directing everyone to collect treasure from friend and foe alike
    +500 feeling bad about calling friends and allies and getting them slaughtered
    +0 group experience
    Yamirus total 5,100

Hrothgar
    +0 (+500 being his usual overstated self) x 0 sessions

+0 group experience
    Hrothgar total 0

Elvira
    +1,000 (+500 being taciturn as usual) x 2 sessions
    +500 casting detect magic to find magic items on the dragons
    +0 group experience
    Elvira total 2,000

Thórsljón
    +1,000 (+500 being his usual fearless and selfless, um, self? ;-)) x 2 sessions
    +500 gathering Hrothgar's treasure
    +0 group experience
    Thórsljón total 1,500

Luthia
    1,000 appraising all the dragons' gems
    +500 casting detect magic to find magic items on the dragons
    + (25/28 of Yamirus's total. Note that Luthia now has more than enough to level up to 26th--in fact she has enough to reach 27th level and is only 7,664 short of 28th!--but until Yamirus gets his leadership score up Luthia is stuck at 25th.)
    Luthia total 4,553

Lindir (hireling)
    +1,000 finding dragons' gems embedded in scales
    +0 group experience
    Lindir total 1,000

Captain Kostas
    +0 group experience
    Kostas total 500

Psari

+0 group experience
    Psari total 0

Thalassa

+0 group experience
    Thalassa total 0
    Last edited by CelestialBarbarian; 02-20-2011 at 12:14 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Update and Experience
    2/26/11

In our previous session the party had begun to search four red dragons, two ancient and two wyrms, it had defeated on the Isle of Aetna in the Graikoí Sea, at around noon on August 26th, 3035 of Nador's Second Age. A colossal-plus (titanic) dragon of the purest polished silver color appeared and began to pull gems out of the scales of Brunraxa, one of the red wyrms, muttering "no good" about many of them and tossing those gems over his shoulder onto the beach, while setting aside a few (eventually 5) that Yamirus, from a distance behind the dragon, could only speculate where diamonds (needed for a true resurrection spell). Yamirus speculated that the dragon was Bahamut himself.

In the most recent session the party finished searching the red dragons, collecting some 1.5 million gold pieces worth of gems and magic items. The titanic silver-colored dragon spent 10 minutes casting a true resurrection spell on Arandor, bringing him back from the dead while the party was still searching the red dragons. When Arandor's new body finished forming, he said to the titanic silver-colored dragon, "Thank you, sir, for bringing me back to life."

The titanic dragon replied gruffly, "You wouldn't be much of a servant if you stayed dead, but don't make me keep having to do this." Then he turned to party members and said, "Hurry up, because every moment here is a moment I'm not guarding Maralig." That's when Yamirus realized that the titanic silver-colored dragon wasn't Bahamut after all, but instead the fabled mithril dragon of Maralig.

The party rushed to finish collecting treasure, and prepared to teleport back to Maralig. Yamirus reminded Luthia to return to human form, but instead of turning into a little Volencian girl like she used to, she turned into an Annonid teenager, her old Volencian clothes adjusting to her new greater height, but stretched in some places where they hadn't stretched earlier in her life. Looking at her Volencian clothes she exclaimed a bit petulantly, "I need a new wardrobe!" In trying to decide who he could teleport, Yamirus realized that Melia, weighing 10 tons, weighed too much for even Thórsljón to teleport carrying her unless he used rage or a feat of Strength. Only the mithril dragon, Celebrindor, had the strength required to teleport with her. Celebrindor arranged to meet the party at a rock outcropping about 5 miles east of Maralig near the dwarf road, and teleported himself, Arandor and Melia there. Yamirus followed with the rest of the party.

Yamirus asked Luthia to use her staff of true resurrection to raise Hrothgar from the dead. Luthia said, "Can't we raise my mother first?!" Yamirus though explained that if she used the staff to raise Hrothgar, Hrothgar could raise her mother himself and then they wouldn't have to expend any more of the staff's few charges, which they need any time Hrothgar dies. She said angrily, "FINE!" and used the staff to raise Hrothgar.

As soon as Hrothgar awoke in his new body, Thórsljón rushed over and clapped him mightily on the shoulder. "Thu var glorious!" Thórsljón exclaimed. "Thu turned the tide of battle!" (referring to Hrothgar using exalted fury to blow himself up in the mouth of one of the red dragons and right next to the head of another one of the red dragons, inflicting some 350 points of damage on each).

Hrothgar beamed and exclaimed, "It var the mestr bestr moment of minn leif!" ("It was the 'most best' moment of my life!") Yamirus thought to himself, "I don't understand the insanity of the Blóthfólk, but I'm grateful that it saved us."

Hrothgar informed everyone that he couldn't raise Melia today (August 26), because he didn't have any true resurrection spells memorized. (Better to memorize a mass heal and not NEED a true resurrection!) He would memorize 2 the next morning so that he could raise both Melia and Psari.

Yamirus thanked the mithril dragon for helping the party, the Delnonid and his people. Celebrindor replied, "I was watching the city long before you were born, when your people were ruled by the Graikoí, and I imagine I'll be watching it long after you're gone, but you're welcome." [Historical note: the Delnonid didn't actually create a city in the Mithrilwood until long after the Castorians conquered the Volencians, but Celebrindor lived in the Mithrilwood long before that, so by "the city" he really meant the Mithrilwood.] "Arandor, why don't you stay with them--and TRY not to get yourself killed."

Arandor replied, "I will, sir."

Celebrindor said, "I'm sure you will." He then muttered, "Stiff-necked golds" but with a silver twinkle in his eye. With another twinkle, Celebrindor vanished.

In order to raise Melia without trying to carry her dead carcass through the East Gate of Maralig, the party decided to spend the night near the rock outcropping where they teleported. Yamirus arranged the watches, asking Arandor if he would take one. "I wouldn't have it any other way," replied the draco paladin. Yamirus put himself on the same watch as Arandor so that he could ask Arandor questions. Yamirus put Hrothgar and Thórsljón together so that Hrothgar could listen to Thórsljón tell him Hrothgar how awesome Hrothgar is. Then Yamirus spent craft points and experience to add to Hrothgar's gauntlets of ogre power a +6 enhancement bonus to Dexterity. Hrothgar contributed half the craft points, but Yamirus contributed all the experience. (For contributing all the experience, given that Hrothgar is a level behind, Yamirus gets one special action point. The special action point works like a regular point, except that Yamirus doesn't lose it if he levels up before using it. Dominic, please make a note on your sheet or elsewhere or both so that you won't lose it. :-))

Experience
    Group

(CR )

18th: Psari; Thalassa
    24th: Lindir
    27th: Caerwyn, Hrothgar
    28th: Yamirus, Elvira, Thórsljón

Individual

Caerwyn

+0 group experience
    Caerwyn total 500

Yamirus
    +400 setting up at the beginning of the session
    +400 putting away at the end of the session
    +500 realizing the titanic silver dragon was actually the fabled mithril dragon of Maralig
    +500 realizing that only Celebrindor had the strength to teleport with Melia's 10-ton body (unless Thórsljón raged or used a feat of strength)
    +500 explaining to Luthia why she should raise Hrothgar before her mother.
    +500 "I don't understand the insanity of the Blóthfólk, but I'm grateful that it saved us."
    +500 thanking Celebrindor (the mithril dragon)
    +1,000 arranging the watches so that he could ask Arandor questions, and so that Hrothgar could listen to Thórsljón tell him Hrothgar how awesome Hrothgar is.
    +0 group experience
    Yamirus total 4,300
    For contributing all the experience, given that Hrothgar is a level behind, Yamirus gets one special action point. The special action point works like a regular point, except that Yamirus doesn't lose it if he levels up before using it. Dominic, please make a note on your sheet or elsewhere or both so that you won't lose it. :-))

Hrothgar
    +500 "It var the mestr bestr moment of minn leif!" ("It was the 'most best' moment of my life!") (referring to Hrothgar using exalted fury to blow himself up in the mouth of one of the red dragons and right next to the head of another one of the red dragons, inflicting some 350 points of damage on both).
    +500 (Better to memorize a mass heal and not NEED a true resurrection!)
    +0 group experience
    Hrothgar total 1500

Elvira

+
    +0 group experience
    Elvira total 500

Thórsljón
    +500 realizing that only Celebrindor had the strength to teleport with Melia's 10-ton body (unless Thórsljón raged or used a feat of strength)
    +500 "Thu var glorious! Thu turned the tide of battle!" (referring to Hrothgar using exalted fury to blow himself up in the mouth of one of the red dragons and right next to the head of another one of the red dragons, inflicting some 350 points of damage on both).
    +0 group experience
    Thórsljón total 1500

Luthia
    +500 searching for treasure embedded in scales
    +500 changing into an adolescent now that she's reached effective "young adult" dragon category
    +500 exclaiming a bit petulantly, "I need a new wardrobe!"
    +500 wanting to raise her mother before Hrothgar and getting angry when Yamirus explained why not
    +500 using the staff of true resurrection to raise Hrothgar
    +500 "Oh Mom I'm so glad you're OK and don't tell me not to call you 'Mom' either!" (I'd originally had Luthia say this before I remembered that Hrothgar didn't have a true resurrection spell memorized. Melia had replied, "That's okay dear, I'm so relieved you're alright!" I figured I'd give Luthia the experience in case I forget next time.)
    +3,839 (25/28 of Yamirus's total. Note that Luthia now has more than enough to level up to 26th--in fact she has enough to reach 27th level and is only 2,825 short of 28th!--but until Yamirus gets his leadership score up Luthia is stuck at 25th.)
    Luthia total 6,839

Lindir (hireling)
    +500 searching for treasure embedded in scales
    +0 group experience
    Lindir total 500

Captain Kostas

+0 group experience
    Kostas total 0

Psari

+0 group experience
    Psari total 0

Thalassa