Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lichdom

Downloads
    Uploads

Lichdom

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Hello. Might be a dumb question but I've not found the answer elsewhere.

So far, this is the best I've found.
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lich.htm

Anyone know of, or where to get, the rules for creating a lich?
    Aside from oh, you have to be evil and spend gold.

Downloads
    Uploads
    if you can find a copy, best of dragon, vol. II had two articles on lichdom and the rituals involved, iirc. they're from 1e, but fluff is fluff

[edit] ok, it was just one article.
    Last edited by agoraderek; 07-20-2008 at 08:48 PM.
    "well, g'night! dont let the flesh eating demon bed babies bite!!"
    facebook.com/houstonderek

Downloads
    Uploads
    Darksun had some good info on becoming undead, but I cannot remember if lich was one of them off the top of my head.
    "Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth." - JFK

"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."
    - Noam Chomsky

Downloads
    Uploads
    Theres an article at wizards.com in the savage progression archives
    home-archives-dnd-retired-savage progression

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031212a

dunno how usefull it is but hope it help or gives you an idea to make up a ritual
    Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies.

Downloads
    Uploads
    2e:

prepare a phylactery: any object worth 1,500gp/level of the wizard then cast: enchant an item, magic jar, permanency, & reincarnation on it.

prepare a toxic poison then cast: wraithform, permanency, cone of cold, feign death and animate dead on it.

drink potion during a full moon, roll system shock and if you make it you are a lich, otherwise forever dead.

Check under lich in other monster manuals too.
    Last edited by Engar; 07-20-2008 at 10:21 PM.
    "Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth." - JFK

"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."
    - Noam Chomsky

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think that article is pretty good.

Only thing I saw really missing is a timeframe. How long does the actual craft take. For both the physical craft, as well alchemical makings.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by michaeljearley View Post
    I think that article is pretty good.

Only thing I saw really missing is a timeframe. How long does the actual craft take. For both the physical craft, as well alchemical makings.
    hmmm, i think you cold houserule that if you wanted to take the time to write it up. maybe one of the other guys has a link or info on that, but reading the dragon article, it isnt specific on the time issue. which system are you using? if it is 4e, i think you're going to have to houserule it; with 3x i think they have craft rules and times in the dmg (i can't remember off the top of my head, and, frankly, im too lazy to walk into the other room to get the book...)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    in 3e, the crafting time is roughly 1day per 1000gp.

as far as becoming a lich, in 3rd edition you need to read this link, which you have already found. it has precise details on how it all works. since it is all open gaming content, i will summarize here for you.

the character must be evil and willing to undergo the ceremony of their own free will. you must be a spellcaster and have a caster level of 11th or higher. you must be able to craft a phylactery yourself (no one else can do it for you...) via the craft wonderous item feat. it costs 120,000gp and 4800xp. due to the cost it takes 120 days to craft.

additional notes for your benefit: =D

NOT in the srd, but commonly appearing in other d&d source material is the requirement of making a special expensive magical poison... (you could either include its cost in with the cost of the phylactery, or have it cost additional... supposedly the exact formula is a great secret and researching it is one of the big tasks occupying would-be liches) taking the poison and then making a roll based on your caster level (higher caster level equals better chance...) to succeed on converting yourself into a lich. failure means that your character is dead, and cannot be brought back by any mortal means, to boot. if you decide to make the poison cost extra, then you could also require the brew potion feat if you are feeling restrictive, and once you've decided the cost of the poison, then you would add its crafting time to the above time for the phylactery.

in addition to that, note that the level adjustment for a lich is +4. this will put a successful character in an unusual position of having a higher level than they have experience to justify! the end result of that is that they will have to "catch up" by earning four more levels worth of xp so that they equal their new level before they can take any more classes.

extra bonus:

the most evil and nasty version of a big bad guy becoming a lich that i've ever ever heard of was this one reoccuring villain who not only desired to become a lich but wanted to wreck havoc and revenge on the player character who destroyed the previous evil plans.... so the villain kidnapped one of the character's children, and hid the child long enough to convert the child's living skeleton into a phylactery.... heroes not being big on child-killing, they are now forced to wait until the child dies 'naturally'. of course, it will be a cremation ceremony....
    Last edited by nijineko; 07-22-2008 at 08:38 PM.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    That is freaking awesome.

And 120 days, that sucks, what kind of adventurer has that kind of time???

Downloads
    Uploads
    Best source is "Van Ritchen's Guide to the Lich" is AD&D, but is designed specifically to enhance the Role-playing experience.

Saluti
    Carlos

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ah yes, the van richten's guides are great resources for this sort of thing. i was focusing on 3e so i forgot about mentioning them. *^^*
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    120 days seems a little lengthy, but considering the amount of power gained, I think it's at least reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by nijineko
    the most evil and nasty version of a big bad guy becoming a lich that i've ever ever heard of was this one reoccuring villain who not only desired to become a lich but wanted to wreck havoc and revenge on the player character who destroyed the previous evil plans.... so the villain kidnapped one of the character's children, and hid the child long enough to convert the child's living skeleton into a phylactery.... heroes not being big on child-killing, they are now forced to wait until the child dies 'naturally'. of course, it will be a cremation ceremony....
    As for this....I second what Michael said: that sure is freakin' awesome
    Death is in the eyes of a Beholder.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i can't claim the credit for this one, but i am sure glad i never played under that dm! ^^

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nijineko View Post
    i can't claim the credit for this one, but i am sure glad i never played under that dm! ^^
    why? that sort of diabolical genius is a good thing!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by michaeljearley View Post
    That is freaking awesome.

And 120 days, that sucks, what kind of adventurer has that kind of time???
    A high level one who's ready to retire!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast