Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
40K 5ed.
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40K 5ed.

Downloads
    Uploads

40K 5ed.

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Anyone played any games yet? I just got my rulebook but I've been swamped with work and family. Haven't even popped the plastic.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    How about an update now that you have had time to read? My kid is expressing an interest in 40K so I may jump into the current rules since they are new. How's it looking?
    --
    Grimwell

Downloads
    Uploads
    It looks good so far, but I've been swamped with work and moving and family. I'll post soon on the actual contents, but it still looks like good ol' 40K. They've tweaked some rules, no major overhauls.

If you are curious they play pickup games in most of the Gamesworkshop stores, and they have an inexpensive starter set coming out in September that is $60 (contains just the rules, not any of the story) and that will have massive amounts of models in it for the money. If you want orks -sic- and space marines.

Downloads
    Uploads
    didn't 4.0 just come out?

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's been about 5-6 years since 4ed. Most game companies like Wizards and GW seem to want overhauls every 5-7 years. I could be wrong, that's just what I've noticed.

I've actually gotten to sit and am about 1/2 way through the rules. They seem to have made it more intuitive, like using "true" line of sight (you hunker down and look model to model before rolling to shoot) vs. going base to base.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Finished them!

Okay, no beef, really, it's still 40K. I do like the expansion on the rules concerning buildings.

On the flip side, I don't care for some of the more "cartoonie" art in the armies section. Just a personal taste, I prefer the paintings, pen and inks, etc. The other type of art just doesn't mesh with the style and feel of the 40K mythos.

Overall, great time to be getting back into the game.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ffclubhero View Post
    It looks good so far, but I've been swamped with work and moving and family. I'll post soon on the actual contents, but it still looks like good ol' 40K. They've tweaked some rules, no major overhauls.

If you are curious they play pickup games in most of the Gamesworkshop stores, and they have an inexpensive starter set coming out in September that is $60 (contains just the rules, not any of the story) and that will have massive amounts of models in it for the money. If you want orks -sic- and space marines.
    Thanks for the update, ffclubhero. I'll have to pick myself up that $60.00 starter set come September.

Thoth-Amon

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just got the box set on Saturday. WELL WORTH THE CASH. If you have any interest in the game, it's worth the investment, especially if you like Space Marines or Orks (sic).

You should be able to get a decent return for what you don't want on ebay. Many of the models inside are exclusive to the box set. I saw peeps -with a GW 'trading post' program- selling bitz from the boxes for up to $15 a model, depending on what they were buying.

Downloads
    Uploads
    once, a long long time ago, I played warhammer 4ok.
    what struck me about this game was just how expensive it was. of course Citadel is a brilliant and enterprising company that needs to pay it's employees salaries, give benefits, and practice due diligence for investors.... like a pharmaceutical company, they need to do well while they do good, as the saying goes.
    but honestly? paying 500 us dollars for a... 120 point army?? (im a little rusty on the 40k point system)
    In middleschool my friends and I used to play during lunch and free-blocks, and would use pieces of cardboard, and printed, cut out pictures of the figurines instead of the models themselves. but then again we were just all about the gaming, rather than that magical, (though expensive) experience of slowly planning, amassing, customizing, and painting an army that many people find surpassingly enjoyable!.
    There is also a lot of pleasure to be had just buying the books and supplementals and looking through all the pictures of perfect models and canonical fanfiction snippets.

I played as eldar, btw.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ffclubhero View Post
    Finished them!

Okay, no beef, really, it's still 40K. I do like the expansion on the rules concerning buildings.

On the flip side, I don't care for some of the more "cartoonie" art in the armies section. Just a personal taste, I prefer the paintings, pen and inks, etc. The other type of art just doesn't mesh with the style and feel of the 40K mythos.

Overall, great time to be getting back into the game.
    I agree about the pen and ink and model art.
    looking at all those perfectly painted 1000 point armies filled me with intermingled admiration and jealousy, like my sister looking at a Vogue magazine. I loved to imagine the prospect of having an army like that someday, regardless of whether I played with it or not.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm a big fan of ebay, once I got over my initial "too lazy to deal with it" syndrome. With those of us who have families, rent, jobs an hour away, etc., it is a more expensive enterprise. If you enjoyed it, try ebay. All the time you spend waiting to win auctions just allows you to finish units you've already purchased.

I only pay retail from brick and mortar GW stores, and that is to give 100% support to the retail folks, and also the great gaming environment (tables, terrain, lotsa other players, etc.). They are some of the few hobby stores -of any kind- that I would give money too, and it's all about the product, service, and environment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    yeah, Citidal/GW is like the miniatures version of microsoft.
    It is very satisfying to create and paint your army, but just surpassingly expensive. If only I could download the miniatures from bittorrent... alas
    Althought there are a lot of reasons why they kind of need to be expensive, like materials, marketing, and manufacture costs.
    "Step one: choose thy lute
    Step two: choose thy tune
    Step three: Shred!"
    --Lute Hero for NWN2

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have always wante to play WarHammer 40K but have never had the knack to put together and paint miniatures. The ones I have seen are really quite good but I do not have the patience for it. I am involved in AT-43 though, good game and it is all pre-painted. Yaay! I tabletop strategy game for us lazy and talentless types.

Downloads
    Uploads

Warhammer

Well I got into 5th with Assualt on Black reach.
    It contained basic dice, templates and a rulebook that matches the big one less the bonus material (art, paintint, and campaign rules).
    Its a good way to get started and enjoy the game.
    Then the 40K website to determine which army you like. Then before laying out the cash go to your local game shop and ask question on the army style play and other goodies.

Now I have the Guard and a nice army, play every tuesday night and with friends now and then.
    It's true. I am an evil, twisted, sadistic genius with delusions of grandeur, bent on the total humiliation of all those around me. I am your Game Master.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I haven't played since 3rd edition. I miss the old 72" missile launcher.

"but hey, that's just my opinion... I could be wrong!" - Dennis Miller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast