Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GURPS 4th Edition

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I've kind of been toying around with getting a GURPS 4e game going in Battlegrounds RPG, if I ever get off my behind and start putting it together, I'll make a post about it here. I have 5 floating licenses (in addition to my main GM license), so nobody else would need to license to play.

The thought I'd had was to use e-mail for everything but combat, and then Skype+Battleground RPG for the actual combats.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That sounds interesting, I'd definitely consider it if you get around to getting something started. What Genre/era would you be considering?
    "Any day in which you learn something is not a complete waste" - Polgara the Sorcerer

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've always been a particular fan of the Reign of Steel world, I'd probably try to update that to 4e.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the idea. Depending on how everything works out, I'd be interested in checking it out for sure.
    "Any day in which you learn something is not a complete waste" - Polgara the Sorcerer

Downloads
    Uploads
    I used GURPS space 4th, and GURPS Interstellar Wars to design most of the planets used in my current Mongoose Traveller campaign.
    -Etarnon
    Refereeing RPGs since 1977

Old School Gamers (Online) Meetup Group Organizer
    http://www.meetup.com/Old-School/

Downloads
    Uploads
    GURPS is definitely quite useful when you're looking for crunchy bits to generate worlds that have continuity and realism.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd also be interested.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It looks like it would be pretty easy to pull something together, so I'll start doing the legwork I need to do to be able to play and make a post here when I've got it far enough along.

I have a general Reign of Steel campaign that I usually play where the players are located in Alaska, as it's a hard region for the machines to dominate due to the weather - not to mention it's my own real world home region, and I kind of like to exploit my real world area for realism where I can.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I loved 4e when I was able to play. Generic enough to do anything, but specific enough to make the worlds 'appear' real.

I would like to sit in on a 4e GURPS game, if there is space.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm working on content when I have the spare time, but I hope everyone won't be terribly disappointed if it takes me a while. My free time isn't what it used to be, unfortunately.
    RPGAlaska.com - a gaming community for Alaskans!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Taking this thread in a different direction under the relevant title...

I'm looking at getting the basic set. My question is how much longer do you guess the 4th Edition will be supported before a newer edition appears on the horizon? 4e is about six years old now. Right?

Downloads
    Uploads
    If the duration of SJG's support of GURPS 3e is any indicator, 4e is probably going to be around for a very long time. There was a lot of resistance at SJG to doing 4e, but the number of issues with the system eventually compounded enough that they decided it was time.

Unlike some of their competitors, SJG doesn't seem to be looking to cash in by publishing a new edition on a regular basis - they instead seem to be following the "you have how many sourcebooks?" method of making money. heh.

I personally would think that it is likely to be safe to buy 4e without needing to be afraid that 5e is right around the corner.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Also, the changes from 3rd to 4th were minor, so you'll have little difficulty using 3rd edition sourcebooks for 4th edition. One of the games we're considering right now uses Discworld, which will almost certainly not be updated to 4th, but there would be very little work adapting it, if any.

I believe all the old books are available as PDFs, so you can get them cheap. I was looking at Steampunk for $7, for instance.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's worth noting that a few core things did change from 3e to 4e (the biggest being the way Strength works)... however, the 3e to 4e Update book is a free PDF, and covers how to do the conversation with minimal hassle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, I mentioned the geometric strength in the original post- it's a little complicated, but it was pretty sad when the strongest character in the first GURPS Supers couldn't even pick up a car, so it really needed to change...

I think the change in attribute costs was pretty major too- going from an increasing cost per level to a fixed cost (10 pts. for St/Ht, 20 pts for Dx/Iq) is going to make for a more difficult transition than the strength thing...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast