Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need new catagory

Downloads
    Uploads

need new catagory

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    we need a new discussion catagory " westerns and Victorian Fantasies
    -cASTLE FALKIENSTEAN, GO FOR YOUR GUN, Boothill & Aces and Eight!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Toss Steampunk into that catagory.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Id peruse the category

Thoth-Amon

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    steampunk always has some interesting things to peruse.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree. Call it 19th Century RPGs or something to that effect...
    [comment about D&D 4E]I have to ask myself, am I just buying a name here? If I fell in love with a gal named Wanda ten years ago, does that mean that every new Wanda that comes along is going to be just as groovy?
    I like the old Wanda, This new Wanda looks like high maintenence.
    ~nordo billingswary at the K&Co forums

Downloads
    Uploads
    How about Gaslight instead of 19th century? That pretty much covers both the Victorian and early Edwardian eras.
    "You know spies gamers, a bunch of *****y little girls." - Sam Axe

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yea, that sounds interesting but not sure if it really makes you think of "Wild West" games...hmmm....
    [comment about D&D 4E]I have to ask myself, am I just buying a name here? If I fell in love with a gal named Wanda ten years ago, does that mean that every new Wanda that comes along is going to be just as groovy?
    I like the old Wanda, This new Wanda looks like high maintenence.
    ~nordo billingswary at the K&Co forums

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd call it Historical/Alternate History, actually, to cover all bases: Wild West, Victorian, Steampunk, Age of Napoleon, Roma Imperious, Ice Age (played straight), etc.

There's a bit of confusion with fantasy, but the main criterion should be historical plausibility as opposed to the usual Medieval, Arabian, or Far East mishmash that usually crops up in Fantasy games. When in doubt, any "fantasy" elements should have either a folkloric or technological bent: shamanism and "ghost rock" do, but shooting fireballs from your finger doesn't.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    One could also add Space 1889, CoC Gaslight, B-13 Gaslight. In truth anything from a straight up Sherlock Holmes, Steampunk with mechanical men, Vampires, Gothic, it can all fit the era.

How about Tales of Otherwhen: Victoriana

Or, that could be a subcatagory of 19th Century Adventures

Tales of Otherwhen: Victoriana

Get Your Gun: Westerns

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    call it the age of reasoning. they reasoned that a lot of things should work... some of them actually did. ^^
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I wonder if there would be a good way to "test" other sub-forums out as a concept. It's no good if the board is DOA and gets no posts. This way Farcaster gets to see if there is a potential audience before he builds a spot that only takes space.

That's a real challenge with forums, you want to make sub-forums left and right to allow people to have focused conversations, but if you do it too much, nobody talks.

Steam would be cool though, if there is support.
    --
    Grimwell

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by grimwell View Post
    I wonder if there would be a good way to "test" other sub-forums out as a concept. It's no good if the board is DOA and gets no posts. This way Farcaster gets to see if there is a potential audience before he builds a spot that only takes space.
    Perhaps prefixes for other eras or game systems could indicate sufficient support for a new forum.

I've been stuck for ways to stimulate discussion in the Modern/Universal topics. A "Specific Genre or System Discussion" category there, with prefixes for said genres/systems, might be a test-bed for any future forums. (Let's face it, d20 Modern is dead, or at least sleeping until WotC releases its new Modern SRD.) If Farcaster does not want to create a plethora of new prefixes, we can decree that each creator of a new thread adds his own prefix.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As an experiment, let's try discussing all genres and games that fit nowhere else in Modern/Universal Games -> Generic and Universal Discussion. A manually added prefix to each new thread will indicate the genre or game being discussed.

For more details, see "Specific and Particular Discussion".

Downloads
    Uploads
    How about this idea. Start a thread with a poll about which 'Historical, Alternate
    RPG' that you like. That would give Farcaster an idea about how much intrest another sector would draw. Of course there are a couple I would vote on, just not played many.
    Sure, Life IS like a bowl of cherries, but how SWEET they are depends on how much crap your willing to take to fertalize your DREAMS. Michael L. Cross

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by grimwell View Post
    Steam would be cool though, if there is support.
    that really all depends on your boiler pressure, now doesn't it....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast