Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Ask a GM [07/07/08]: Motivation to be a GM

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    1.) Being the one who normally organizes the game nights, I often have to GM by default. Also, being a freelance writer, I often get appointed to GM. I do enjoy world-building and learning new systems, so it often works out.

2.) YES! I totally miss playing! I haven't been a player in a long, long time. I love creating a character and running with it.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I only DM when everyone has run out of gas and I have something that I really want to run such as particular genre or setting, otherwise I'm usually a player.

"but hey, that's just my opinion... I could be wrong!" - Dennis Miller

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm going to hopefully DM my Dad, his friend and her two kids. One of them's addicted to WoW so he should catch on quick, and diversify his interest. Hopefully they'll ike it enough I can keep it up, even if it only every other week.

Being a DM sounds fun, I'll find out in a week. Being a player is great but your at the whim of the DM's schedule.
    I am the very model of a nineteenth centíry historian, I have information Lincoln, Polk, Jacksonian. When it comes to US battles I am very full of trivia, From Montezuma to the shores Algeria. Roosevelt I envy for his awesomeness, Coolidge I disdain for his shamefulness. My forte urban and Michiganian, I am the very model of a nineteenth centíry historian.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I love to DM not at all. I much prefer to play. I can't find anyone who is DMing the Sci Fi campaign I want to play. So I GM it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've definitely enjoyed being a DM more then a few times. Half the fun is really just taking up the role of an NPC and dealing with the other characters, and letting things go where they will.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation

1) Why Did You Decide to "Play" the GM?

I have an overactive imagination and am a control freak. I love the rush of introducing players to a situation and having them react to it. I REALLY enjoy the rush of saying goodbye to everyone after a session, and getting a slap on the back and a hearty, "I had a GREAT time tonight!"

2) Do You Miss Playing a "PC"?

Only rarely. I generally dislike playing, unless I have a VERY good DM/GM. Unfortunately, there are very few of those lying about. I usually look at the role of DM as getting to play ALL the PC's, while all the other people at the table get to play NPC's... but that's just me!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Farcaster View Post
    Our first question for the Ask a GM section comes from Dimthar. I thought this would make a great start to getting to know our new GM Panel.

Dimthar asks,

A little about Charles...

In truth, I decided to become a DM because I got tired of people screwing it up. I know that's rather blunt. But you asked an honest question so you deserve an honest answer. You see, my first DM (and I've come to learn this person is the measuring stick for most players) created his world for players. You name it, it had it; politics, hack 'n slash, etc... And if it didn't have it he'd put some in.
    But the thing I respected most was he had a plan. He wasn't a disorganized DM, or one who made it up as he went along. He payed attention to every character, and catered to their imagination and dreams... It was amazing.
    This is what I feel every player should have a chance to feel. And after seeing everyone else always fall short I knew, if people I was playing with were going to experience what I talked about so passionately, then I'd have to be the one to show them.
    So I did, and I have. The people I've DMd for have needed moments to gather themselves after their character have retired, or died, because of how much they'd grown attached to their characters.
    Recently I had a "meet and greet" for new players, and you should have seen the glow in the faces of my current players as excitement and fond memories filled their eyes when they talked about past characters and the great feats they accompished.
    This is why I started DMing.

Also, having accomplished my goal, I have now started college to get my english degree, and I hope to one day work for Wizards.

Now, do i miss being a player?
    Every day. Nothing is as enjoyable as creating a character, helping 'em grow, and being part of the story. Feeling like your making a difference/impact to the story.
    I went and played for a bit but unforunetly the DM was horrible. I won't go into details...
    But until I find a DM who can take over, with the same heart and enthusiasm, I will continue to man my post.

Thanks for reading.

Charles

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the sentiment of "doing it right" is something we've all experienced. I hate to say it, but 90% of the time when i get to play, i feel the GM is experience is wanting. I find myself trying, from a player role, to push further and create a more immersive experience by forcing the GM to detail out elements t and then draw conclusions from them - kind of like showing them how "it should be done". Its probably annoying, and i try and watch what i do, but i often find myself in the role of party leader or right hand man when i do play - the other players (and sometimes the GM too) often look to me for direction and guidance because i'm the one that the immersive experience comes so easy to.

Incarna; Role-Playing Game System
    www.incarna.net
    Running: 3+ campaigns set in single custom milieu world.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally Posted by Farcaster
    Our first question for the Ask a GM section comes from Dimthar. I thought this would make a great start to getting to know our new GM Panel.

Dimthar asks,

1) Responded to a forum post somewhere and ended up DM'ing as they decided I had the most experience
    2) Haven't actually played that much but being the DM is good and I get to craft the world too which is great.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Farcaster View Post

Dimthar asks,

Wow. Ah... I don't know it was ever a decision so much as "I have to do this." Between being a writer and something of a cat herder, the idea of being able to put my story into the minds of a captive audience through an interactive medium really appealed to me -- then and now. So for me, it was more of something that I fit into naturally, rather than the active decision it became later in life to be a writer.

To the second, I do get to play, but it's a massive adjustment. It's hard not to adjudicate, its hard not to have a specific (and often strong) opinion about what's going on, and when my sense of Fair Play gets violated, well, there are fireworks to spare. Given the coin toss, if I win it, I'll GM almost every time though. That's where my fun comes from.

Downloads
    Uploads
    1) For 19 years that's all I have been, I love telling stories along with the players, I am also a writer and have created my own world which all my players love. I make them believe the world they play in is as real as our own, I get involve in their character's story and I implement it as part of the game, everyone in my group becomes the primary character in our games. I make the games memorable, enjoyable and believable.

2) Sometimes, but then we don't have another GM and I love being the GM so I am not concerned about it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have been a GM of dozens of games for the last 15 years. I first tried my hand at it when I was 16 years old. Apparently I was so good at it the party kept me running for 11 hours. I was always able to run "off the cuff" campaigns, weaving a story out of nothing but the players own actions, and a few minor details. I enjoyed toying the with players, and at the same time, bringing new players into the fold by letting them access the deeper parts of their own imaginations.

As for being a player.. well.. occasionally, I *do* miss it. I think I'd honestly like to BE a player again for a campaign.. lol. Especially if the GM was great.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would like to just state for the record, that GM's are players. We do get (i think) great playing experiences with NPC's and almost a better play experience because we've got the entire depth of the plots, themes and world to give every action and word more depth to us. I think its a richer story experience than what the PC gets... Its that experience of not knowing so much and developing a character in detail from scratch and surviving in the face of uncertainty that is the specific parts i miss.

I became a GM because i immersed myself in stories - comic, books, movies, and i could just throw down a map and run a bunch of impromptu stuff easily. Even now i know most of my players can GM with a plan, i just seem to be the most flexible still and best at logistics of organizing the group (or maybe the most forgiving?). Some things never change i guess.

Incarna; Role-Playing Game System
    www.incarna.net
    Running: 3+ campaigns set in single custom milieu world.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I Agree... but as a DM... you know the plots it's your weave of the world... While we do play too... at least I know I love DMing because of all the different characters I can make... nothing replaces the not knowing... and watching the story unfold infront of you... to me that is the best experience to see the players face as things become clearer as they progress... there is nothing better...
    We hope that all are games are that rich...

ZTORM!!!
    "My kindness is not my weakness, It is your Handicap." Z'izum(C)
    "We are the Dreamers of Dreams, We are the Music Makers" W.W. & C.F.(C)
    "Mercy is for those who believe they deserve forgiveness, I on the other hand have no such delusions." ~Kern Dragonborn~

Downloads
    Uploads

1) I became a GM for several reasons. I ran a few D&D games and battletech games back when I first started back in '80, but it wasn't until I got into LARP'ng that I really got into the GM mentality. Before hand all I wanted to do was play. I suppose I have to give the Camarilla fan club, credit where credit is due as being elected as a local storyteller for the LARP troupe, and then moving onto the regional and national level, really taught me what a GM is, and what they need to do to keep players interested. When I left LARPing, and went back to table top, I had picked up a copy of L5R, and since I couldn't find a GM to run it, I ended up running it to introduce my friends to it. In a way, I think I cursed myself when I did so. Regardless, I had a blast doing so, and my players enjoyed it immensely and kept asking for more. I'm still running games and introducing my friends to games I want to play in the hopes someday one of them will pick up the game and run it so I can play Truth be told, I do love the challenge of running games, and I love coming up with intricate plots and interesting game worlds for my players to enjoy.

2) I do miss the simplicity of "just" playing some times. I think I surprise the GM's I do play with when I ask them what they want me to play, or what will add to the group most. I rarely do get to play these days so I tend to jump on any oppurtunity I do get and enjoy it throughly. When I'm GM'ng, I do find that by taking the time to make the major NPC's memorable and interesting, I do get to RP a bit. I certainly do have fun with it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast