Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Ask a GM [07/07/08]: Motivation to be a GM

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    My two cents:

It's the power thing, first and foremost.

I could say how nobody else wanted to do it, or that I had the most source material, or how I write in general and enjoy world building, and these are all true, but it really all comes down to control.

Since I DMed by first campaign, I've never been able to really sit still as a player.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I didm't decide tostart being a GM I did it out of need of a GM and yes I miss playing I would much rather play then run any day.

Downloads
    Uploads
    1) Why Did You Decide to "Play" the GM?
    When I was 11, in 1977, I had just seen Star Wars. I discovered Roleplaying via Traveller not AD&D like most of those people back in the day.

I liked the idea that I could with a few dice rolls, create an entire planet. With a few more a subsector. With a calculator, and some charts I could detail that planet down to individual neighborhoods of a local starport, or detail the ecology, enough that a casual visit by PCs gave them the feel of a unique place.

So I guess, I do it because I like maps, and I like being a worldbuilder. I like working on my games, even when nobody is playing.

I like writing plots, creating NPCs, and describing space battles.

2) Do You Miss Playing a "PC"?

No, I play a PC still. I like taking a rest from all the fine detail work that I do on my own games, so that I can generate a PC, think about motivations, and goals and character, and bring a sheet, some dice, and a few books to a game, and be entertained with a lot less work.

I like seeing how each player will do things waaay different than I would, in the same situation. I like being part of a problem solving team. I like the imagined battles, whatever. I get to be an actor, in a group of performers (I've done voice acting for little internet films / sketches on youtube and such.)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why did I start as a GM? Pure curiosity, I suppose: I wanted to try it. For a long time, I wasnít particularly good at it. I wrote my first good campaign (the first one that I would run again now), after six years of mediocrity. Since then, GMing has been more-or-less expected of me.

Do I miss playing a character? Yes. I havenít run a PC in a tabletop game in over 10 years now. I have my NPCs, of course, and I try to RP in computer games, but itís not the same.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I became a DM in order to see how the stories that had been rattling around inside my imagination could be brought to life and how my player's shape the ultimate conclusion of those stories. Well, I also became a DM because the guy who had been doing flat out said that the next session was going to be his last time ever running a game (November of 1993) and no one else wanted to do it. So, I grabbed a piece of typewriter paper, drew a quick map, and started my own homebrew campaign world. Interestingly enough, that homebrew world has been group's default campaign setting ever since - even when I wasn't the GM.

Do I miss being a player? Not so much anymore. I used my PCs as a way to try and understand who I was and overcome some pretty serious social ineptitude. I still play every once in a while, but only so I don't forget what things look like from that side of the screen.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I love playing the role of GM much more than being a player. I have so many ideas going through my head that, not unlike Dytrrnikl, that i'd like to see these imaginings brought to fruition.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I consider myself a player, but I DM out of necessity. It is either DM the game, or no game at all.
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Necessity at first, world building later

Well, in my first group i was a player, but when everyone moved away or went to different schools, i had the most experience and ended up teaching DnD and Runequest to my players. Over time, they either learned to GM or i found people who enjoyed it. After several years though, I really began to get into world building and now I GM because i love telling a story and creating the environments it all happens in.

All the time, i always want to be in my own games... and the rest of the players think (mistakenly) that they cannot be as good a GM as me, so i end up doing it most of the time. I think i am the one who is willing to put in all the time to make a good adventure... and thats daunting to a lot of poeple. but half to 3/4 of a good adventure is made up on the fly because no one ever really sticks to a linear plot so a GM has to be able to think fast and be flexible. Thats the part that i think the rest of theplayers do not like - spending the time to really immerse yourself in a scenario to its all seemless, no matter what players do... i digree though. Yes, i miss it.

Incarna; Role-Playing Game System
    www.incarna.net
    Running: 3+ campaigns set in single custom milieu world.

Downloads
    Uploads
    -Why did you decide to "play" the GM?

I started off my gaming career as a DM with a basic boxed set in D&D, and I made the mistake of trying to get my family to play it. I had no idea what I was doing, and it made me doubt my ability to do it. I switched to being a player only when I finally found someone else in my area who ran games.

Years later, I wanted to play other games. I was the only one willing to switch, so I had to take on the GM mantle. I was horrible, but I stuck with it because nobody else wanted to run the new stuff.

Eventually, I met the GM that would teach me how to run a campaign that really got the players invested and involved, and he ran Rifts. Ever since then, I've truly enjoyed being the GM because of the stories I introduce to the players. For me, it's all about sharing the story and the world in my mind, not power.

-Do you miss playing a "PC"?

I can't say I miss playing a PC. As many others have stated, I am a player in the same game. I am just the player who gets to see all the scenes. That's important to know that as a GM you know the structure, but you don't know the contents. Your players fill your story and make it complete.

I can say, however, that I occasionally get tired of coming up with the story. It can be demanding, especially if your players get used to a certain level of play. Sometimes I just want to sit back and let someone else make the world. On those occasions, I usually have a backup GM who either takes over the story or runs a separate one.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For me, GMing allows me to be creative and entertaining. I love constructing a fully-fleshed campaign and knowing the players are having a blast experiencing it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Farcaster View Post
    Dimthar asks,

1) At first, it was simply because no one else wanted to be the DM - they would rather play. Over the years, I have grown to love being able to create the Challenges, and then secretly aid the Players in overcoming them.

2) No. I still manage to find other G/DMs willing to run a Game, and love creating a new Character (the more unusual the Race, or Class combination - the better) and exploring the possibilities.
    Underestimate No One.

Downloads
    Uploads
    1. I decided to be a GM because I liked the idea of running the game. Then I did it and I got hooked. I started when I was about 12 or 13 and I have been GMing since.

2. I still get to play from time to time, I have a lack of GM's in my group so I am stuck with what I have. Most of the time I enjoy GMing more, unless someone really blows me away with their game.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why? Because I wanted to tell stories and I wanted to express some cool ideas that I didn't feel I could on the other side of the screen

Do I miss PCing? Sometimes but I have developed my game to the point where I would love to play in my world, too bad nobody really knows it. But I do have other GMs in the group so If I want to play I can and have been lately

Downloads
    Uploads

DMing was something I really wanted t learn to do after playing in a number of games that were fun but also a bit high powered. I thought being in games with characters who had lists of magic items was getting droll and wanted to run an improved version of the game.

Not really. When I do play I find I evaluate the game as much as play. I have to watch not to become too much of an observer.

Downloads
    Uploads

It was never really a decision on my part. I was simply the one who knew the rules best, I was the only one with any sort of theatrical background (which helps), and I was the one who introduced it to my friends. It was kind of natural that I was our primary DM. However, we had some secondary DMs running various campaigns in other worlds, but at one point we simply decided that everything was more stable with me as the DM, and so it was settled.

Mostly no, but to some extent, yes. I don't actually miss the playing, as I think I find DMing more fun. What I miss is having that link to one character that all my PCs got. I mean, sure, I had some NPCs that were fantastic and I loved, but wanna guess what my absolute favorite NPC was? That's right, my sorceress Lady Python, turned NPC when I became DM. She stuck through it all and will likely persist even in new campaigns I run with people who have no idea who she is. That's the kind of thing I miss - that emotional tie - not actually playing.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast