Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Ask a GM [07/07/08]: Motivation to be a GM

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I pretty much started GMing when I was a kid and have been doing it ever since. I have always been the writer in the group so everyone kind of makes me GM by default no matter the group or game.
    I have been able to play a PC a few times in my gaming life and I do like sitting on the other side of the screen, but rarely get to do so. Somehow I get asked to run a game, everyone seems to have fun and then no one ever wants to be the GM anymore, so I get stuck with it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    i started to GM out of need, I had just moved to portland, oregon and couldn't find any current games of what i wanted to play. Plus i have been working on my own system that i will likely get published in the next year or two that i needed play tested.

I do miss playing, i wish sometimes that some else could run my game so i could just play. I do, however, play in a game during the week that a friend is running so i do get to play a little. but that may end here soon since i can't take my daughter everywhere it seems.
    I do not play them here or there, I do not play them anywhere, I do not play them with a fox. I do not mash that button box. I do not like MMO games. In the end ther're all the same.
    -Tesral

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Samy View Post
    Norman is in Ireland...
    I'm not stupid, I'm not expendable, and I'm not going! (But I'll happily be the GM...)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Eh, I started GMing because there was no games running in my area at a time slot I could play. I figured at worst, my players will fire me and one of THEM will run. At best, it'll end up being a fun campaign. After I got started gearing up for the campaign, I found I'm really enjoying it!

Do I miss playing as a PC? Naturally. Fortunately, I'm hooked up with a good crew of online PbP gamers, and so get to still get somewhat of that fix - thought it's not fully the same.

Downloads
    Uploads
    1) Why Did You Decide to "Play" the GM?
    I received my first gaming books from my father when I was 8. He was a GM for my friends and I for a while, but then he had to do another tour outside the U.S. So, I took over. I didn't know much at the time, but I tried to mimic my father. I was more of a Monty Haul version of him. This continued on and off until I met a group in High School. I was a player for a little bit, and then one day I took the spot behind the screen. I've been there ever since, with different people, and different groups.

2) Do You Miss Playing a "PC"?
    Occasionally, I'll be a PC in a game, but it is never satisfying to me. I love being the guy who makes the world, who runs the stories and adventures. I love it when players come up to me and get all nostalgic about a game I ran, or something amazing they did in my game. Yeah, I was there, but those "Oh no, not another PC story" moments go away when it's someone talking about one of my games, moments later, or years later.

I'm hoping to join a group again, as I took a sad hiatus from TT gaming, though I still played online. I'll be the player again, but as soon as someone lets me run one again, I'm off like a damned lightning bolt.
    Fable is more historical than fact, because fact tells us about one man and fable tells us about a million men.
    -G.K. Chesterton

Downloads
    Uploads
    When i started there was many more obsticales to cross then just what character i wanted to play... there was racial tention and the usual Geeks vs Jocks... lol. I just happen to be both which made me cool among my geek friends and as much as the Jocks tried to turn me... well a geek... and i was proud to be one... my friends (not the Jocks) started calling me a unique geek you see... I was bused in to an all white school from the mean streets of L.A., intergration they called it... lol Well where i lived D&D was unheard... when i saw these white kids playing this game... i asked... what it was... at first a few guys were very nervous about even talking to me... i was black and they were white... and there had be people with misunderstood hate in their hearts protesting with signs telling us (black people) to go home... I don't think they like the idea of black kids going to an all white school... lol the idea that we are different automatical some how is crazy... i believe as humans we create our own respect value by our actions... never the less.
    A few said that i wouldn't be interested in it... but i replied... "Well i'm am that's why i asked..." One guy took pitty on me i guess... he said... hey let him try... so i sat down and he gave me the rough draft... here play this fighter... they are the easiest to use... As a new player they figured i didn't know what to do... but the truth is I've always had an over active imagination... i was the kid who played by himself with his action figures and had ongoing story lines and every time i would play i would pick up where i left off... like "last time when we were here" lol... also... I had been watching them the whole time while i was hiding in the library... and i over heard what they were doing so... when we were playing... (i remember it like it was yesterday...) we came upon some bad men sacking and burning a town... there was a paladin with us who at that point was unsure what to do... so i spoke up... "You there! you shall pay for the evil you've done here!" I looked at the DM... I draw my sword and with a swing over my head i slam it into the guy who looks the toughest... lol All the guys looked at me in shock... and a few of the guys who weren't sure it was a good idea to let me play burst out in Rp... "Yes... brother let us give them what for" "Alright get'em"... from that day forward my life was changed, i knew this was my life... and whenever i was not playing D&D i was ****ing up... in life... and when i was, i was focus... so know i play it... I DM it, I write it... and it keeps me focused on what matters... friends and family... and living your life to enjoy it... All those guys (save one)... we are all still best friends to this day... 27 some odd years... none of them play in my game but we talk about what was everytime we get together... as you know life sometime changes people and what they once love is not so important anymore... for me... it is my life... it is what i love to do... it is my hobbie and my mental stimulance... RPG is what makes me happy. Stories the characters go through and the choices they make... wither it be for love or for war is what grips me and embraces me...

As for which one i like the most DMing or PCing? In my game... I am doing both... the only differance is as a player i only have one character... as a DM i am the world... and each voice, each emotion i get to enjoy it (selfish huh?)... but in return the players also get to enjoy it and effect those emotions and live as they see fit... but be carefull... for there is a rule that never fades "For every action there is a reaction" cause and effect...

Sorry for the long rant/testamonial... the question struck me...
    *bow*

ZTORM!!!
    Last edited by ZTORMBRINGER; 08-01-2008 at 11:52 AM. Reason: uuuggghhh my spelling and grammer sucks lol
    "My kindness is not my weakness, It is your Handicap." Z'izum(C)
    "We are the Dreamers of Dreams, We are the Music Makers" W.W. & C.F.(C)
    "Mercy is for those who believe they deserve forgiveness, I on the other hand have no such delusions." ~Kern Dragonborn~

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like to tell stories. It is a great creative outlet especially when I don't even know what the outcome will be since the players are in control of their own destinies. What if they don't save the princess? Well, lets find out!

I still play, but I play Star Wars and then DM 4.0. It's kinda nice to separate 2 interests on 2 levels. I run a fantasy game, and play in a sci fi game. I rarely confuse the 2 since they are so different in both aspects.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I suppose I became a GM by default. My players didn't really want to dedicate the time needed to learn the rules and I was fascinated with the books and the game mechanics (didn't matter how they played in practice). It could truly be called "Win-Win".

I don't really miss being a player. Actually, I never really got to play in a D&D campaign, just DM a few different campaigns. I did get to participate in a WoD campaign (VtM) as a player, but that was really all the experience on the far side of the screen that I have.
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence, then success is assured." -Mark Twain

Downloads
    Uploads

GM over player

I decided to become a GM because I frankly got sick of playing in games that were inconsistent with rules and fluidity of game play.

Sure everyone wants to have fun, but when it's time for game; let's focus on the game. I've been apart of so many games where the GM/DM's talk about current events, what they had to drink last night, female troubles and such the like. No offence, I don't want to hear all of that. We can talk about that the other 6 days of the week.

As it relates to the rules, I have a problem with favortism. What goes for one should go for all. I believe I'm a fair GM and will remember how it feels to be shorted or jipped in a game.

Downloads
    Uploads
    DMing became a matter of neccessity for me. As a player, I had an insatiable need to try EVERYTHING. Every character type and variation. I was killing off my characters just so i could try something new almost every week!
    As DM, I got to pick and choose as I pleased, as well as setting up the campaign, designing the world, etc. It was a match made in heaven

I still play once in a while and quite enjoy it because it's with the same group. I think they still tend to think of me as DM, so I sort of become the party Leader by default.
    Gone insane...back soon

Downloads
    Uploads
    I choose to DM to get a story told.
    I love to play and at times I hand over the DM reins to another player so I can get that out and about but I like the scheming and plot creation aspect and I like creating more detail to my custom world that comes with interaction with the players. The more they do, the more detail that part of Taern gets.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My preference sides with GM'ing. Though i will admit that i have become tolerant of many different gaming styles due to all the playing i have done over the years.

Thoth-Amon

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally, it was 'cause it was my box, and I was the only one who had read the rules.

As GM, I get to look at the world through a dozen viewpoints over the course of a session, which keeps things fresh. I don't really have enough focus to maintain one character for a full session.

Downloads
    Uploads
    By the look of things a lot of people here had the same fall in as i did. For me i had a friend who had no job but had gotten me interested in playing DnD. i went out and bought the core rule book set and handed them over, rolled a character after reading through the PHB and was ready to go... but my 'DM' was infact a player through and through. so i had spent near one hundred dollars for my friend to say he couldn't do it. so i took the books and said "alright! then roll a character i'm running it."

as for missing being a player, i never got an indepth chance to play DnD as a player, i have gotten to be a player in vampire and mage the ascention recently.. but i have never yet been a player for DnD to date.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast