Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Classes you'd like to see in 4ed D&D

ronpyatt is offline Dallas Organizer & Admin Golden d20 Award
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Classes you'd like to see in 4ed D&D

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Classes I'd like to see in future PDF or print (from WotC or 3rd party) for 4th Edition Dungeons and Dragons:

Witch: A class that has never really been done in a playable way in any of the previous version.

Mentalist (or Psychic): Not a spell-caster in disguise but like the one from Green Ronin's Psychic Handbook. (not psionic)

Illusionist: 2nd Ed AD&D came so close on this one.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd like to see the return of the Monk, but patterned more after the Defender class from Midnight: less Shaolin, more "guy who can kill you with his bare hands, or some handy implement for those really tough jobs". Think SAS training. (Admittedly, some options for the Rogue come close ... but not close enough.)

I'd also like to see all niches for all Power Sources filled, particularly the Martial power source. What a Martial Controller would look like, I don't know ... the Grenadier? The Flamethrower? The Warjack Pilot? Maybe some sort of steampunk engineer type.

I'll second a Mentalist class, especially over the way psionics has been done before, as an alternate magic system; the new Powers-based approach shows promise. I'd also like a clearer distinction between telepathy/esper/precog powers, metabolic powers, and telekinetic/metacreation powers; those might even be the basis for three new classes, in the Controller, Defender, and Striker categories respectively.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Downloads
    Uploads
    More Defenders. A balanced party is supposed to be defender-heavy, but they're not the most common role. I think the Forgotten Realms book will have an arcane defender in it- spellsword or such. My current game has (or, will have if everyone who's signed up can commit to it) eight players, one of each character class. It will be interesting if one of the defenders can't make it, and the other one will have to cover the whole party =)

There's been a lot of discussion of martial controllers on the main boards, and lots of reasons why they wouldn't be plausible, or wouldn't really be martial (Grenades aren't really martial, and don't really take a lot of skill to use, so everybody should be able to throw them).

I've heard rumor that Barbarian will be a controller (Primal instead of Martial though), in the sense that he'll be geared toward mowing down lots of minions at once, a la Whirlwind Attack.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd like to also see the Monk redone. They seem to give two options for building each class so I thin their should be the Eastern Monk and the Western Monk. The Eastern monk would be the martial kung-fu practitioner with his ideals of mind over matter. I think the Western Monk would be more like a font of knowledge and wisdom. Perhaps a secret keeper with a few subtle but powerful magics at his disposal.

I would also like to see a psychic class. I like the idea of knowing your opponent's next move by reading his mind or energy flow. I definitely don't want it have anything to do with magic like the psionic class. I don't think someone with psychic powers should be able to craft magic items.

I have kicking around the idea of the battlefield medic and physician as classes. The medic would have some martial training and some cool healing abilities. The physician would just have healing abilities. I was also thinking that their abilities would not be supernatural or extraordinary but rather more like abilities based on study of the physical world. I see them as knowing how to cure supernatural wounds without having to cast a spell.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Monks, Bards, and Barbarians for sure. I know that lots of you like them, but I've never liked psionics in my games, so they can just toss that one as far as I am concerned.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There was some info leaked about PHB2, and it's not looking good for Monks and Bards being in a bound volume by next year (but they should certainly be DDI content before then- hopefully they won't be so daft as to do away with those fan favorites for two years!). PHB2 will almost certainly have Primal (Druid, Shaman, Barbarian) and Psionics as power sources, and possibly Shadow (Illusionist, Necromancer) or Elemental (Sorcerer).

Again, all speculation. I've told my players that if they want to play one of those eventually, to pick a rough equivalent now (Bard = Warlord or Cleric, Druid = Fey Warlock, Barbarian = Ranger or Fighter) and they can convert when the rules are available.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I personally think these should have been included in the PHB 1. These are pretty much classical D&D classes. They shouldn't have been taken out and seperated into a whole new edition that comes a year later. I could have done with a few less stylized and space-eating bullets in the layout in exchange for a bit more content.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd like to see the Artificer in 4e, but I'm not sure what kind of incarnation they'll have with less of an emphasis on magical items.

Probably an arcane based leader, enhancing the weapons of others.

Developer for Darkage Warlord, a Pen & Paper Games exclusive Medieval Wargame.

If you are in the DC metro area and like to trade D&D minis (1.0 or 2.0), please send me a PM!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Farcaster View Post
    I personally think these should have been included in the PHB 1. These are pretty much classical D&D classes. They shouldn't have been taken out and seperated into a whole new edition that comes a year later.
    Gotta move the Dead Trees Farcaster. Lizards is a publishing company.

Quote Originally Posted by ronpyatt View Post
    Classes I'd like to see in future PDF or print (from WotC or 3rd party) for 4th Edition Dungeons and Dragons:

Witch: A class that has never really been done in a playable way in any of the previous version.

Mentalist (or Psychic): Not a spell-caster in disguise but like the one from Green Ronin's Psychic Handbook. (not psionic)

Illusionist: 2nd Ed AD&D came so close on this one.
    Witch -- The Craft: Presented here in the 2e version. the closer to 3e version can be forund in the Classes chapter. No 3e compatable spells as of yet on my site, but I'm working on it.

I have a very different version of Psionics. I'll have to get it posted.

Illusionists: I finally gave up on that one. Too little interest in my group.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Farcaster View Post
    I personally think these should have been included in the PHB 1. These are pretty much classical D&D classes. They shouldn't have been taken out and seperated into a whole new edition that comes a year later. I could have done with a few less stylized and space-eating bullets in the layout in exchange for a bit more content.
    Yesterday Ron and I met at the Half-Price Books (Dallas), we went through the Players handbook, looked at what was there and what was missing, for good or bad we already liked 4E, so there wasn't to much controversy.

Some of those "Missing Classes" or "Races" were substituted, so I wouldn’t say there is a lack of content. Personally I don’t like some of the substitutions, but that is just my personal taste, not necessarily proof of a poor decision making process from WotC.

Saluti
    Carlos

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Scout, infiltrator, assassin type. Something that encompasses all these abilities.

Thoth-Amon

Downloads
    Uploads
    Deep down in my heart, I want to see the binder come back from Tome of Magic. That is my favorite class out of anything in the world. It allowed me to for fill the need I wanted some of my characters to have - to have an ability not many mortals could gain. It seems like a challenge to remake the binder class into a 4e class, but if they do it, I will be happy and at least try to play it. Binders always gave me a new look on role-playing, not all combat within a game of D&D, or anything else. There's always some kind of drama going on in the background that maybe even scoundrels don't know of!
    I would also like to see some of the truenamer, which I did have fun playing a bit. I also would like to see the sorcerer a lot as well. I hear some pretty good things about them so far. For now, I'll pretend my wizard is a sorcerer! XD
    "When I look into the skies, I always spot the same clouds that I saw when I was just a small child. To this day..those clouds mean nothing to anyone else but me. I'm the only one whom saw them, so I gave them my love.." - Avlien Ragui

Downloads
    Uploads
    I will say I liked that they fleshed out the sorcerer in 4e. I banned the 3.x class in my games I loathed it so much. Talk about a class with no soul. It was also nothing more than a rehashed psionicist which in turn was the same thing as a sorcerer using spell points.
    "Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth." - JFK

"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."
    - Noam Chomsky

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Though I'll still play 3.5 till I die, I figure I should chime in on this thread cause I'm old school:

Wizard
    Fighter
    Thief
    Cleric

hummmmm.

Maybe Paladin, but not so much. I'd rather just play a game where four players get together, pick a character <from the list above> and rely on one another doing their specific jobs. Even though I love the way D&D is now (3.5) with some pretty decent side classes (druid, paladin, monk, ranger), I'm not down with the thousands of prestige classes that came out which seem to cater to the power gamers. Guess that's why I outlaw most of those things in the games I run.
    "And then you wake up."

Downloads
    Uploads
    I actually like that all the books there gonna produce are still considered CORE. Its good for players it gives them options that they can utilize without asking for approval or worrying about game balance and such. As a business idea i think its one of the best decisions they have made. Alot of groups would pick and choose wich completes they would want and such but doing it this way means that if you dont buy them then you dont have all the core books and most GMs expecially want to be able to say they have all the core books.

Oh and i would like another beguiler like class.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast