Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Alchemy

Downloads
    Uploads

Alchemy

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I have aquestion about alchemy and potion brewing.
    is i possible to use alchemy to make nonmagical potions, one of my players was curious what else besides alchemist fire, tangle foot bags, and posion can he make with alchemy skill.

he's playing a rouge/asassian and he doesn't want to rely on the merchants/other players to make potions.

if so what kind of craft checks should i do, and any ideas on components and stuff

i dont really have any experiance with craft skills in general so i dont know or even where to start.
    figured i ask yo guys if you know or if we can make somthing up here
    Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I find that the Crystalkeep PDFs are a great reference when looking for things like this.

Check out page 32 - 37 of the Equipment ones. It has a nice list of alchemical items.

Here's the URL: http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules...-Equipment.pdf

Downloads
    Uploads
    Alchemy works like any other craft skill: you pay a third of the finished product's cost (this is to procure the raw materials) then roll a skill check against the DC, and multiply your check by the DC for progress.

While the PHB is rather limited in selection of alchemy, several supplements have other stuff. The biggest problem with alchemy is that it really is overpriced; none of the supplementary items are really worth their cost. I guess at higher levels cost doesn't matter, but the benefits are all exceedingly marginal (like a +1 to Heal checks on the person the salve is rubbed on [1 minute, 10 gp], or a +1 to Move Silently checks [1 hour, 50 gp] [both from Complete Adventurer, which has a total of thirteen alchemical items]).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Someone else should do the crunch, I'm not familiar enough with the 3e rules, but here's some rogue-alchemy ideas:

Flashpots... sodium + water, dangerous if it fails an item save
    Stinkpots... sulphur + flashpot
    Glow-goo... secretions from any phosphorescent organism + oil + ground horse hoof (for minimal lighting, or showing you where the tightrope wire is)
    Acid gel... acid + oil + ground hoof (applied with a glass spatula for more precise object weakening so that wagon axle breaks at just the right moment for the ambush)

Downloads
    Uploads
    you guys are awsome thanks
    Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    How much reality do you want?

Glow paste for lighting the way. Phosphorescent stuff. Not a lot of light but better than no light.

Fulminated mercury contact explosive. Good for setting off stuff or lighting fires.

Metal salts for coloring fire. For signals or spooky effects.

"Lucifer matches" nasty things containing sulfur, phosphorous, and several other things. Toxic as the day is long. Will light on anything.

Herbal medicines.

Standard pyrotechnics, fireworks and the like.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    I woul dtake a look at the eberron campain setting. It has a bunch of new alchemical items in there as well.