Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
At-43
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: At-43

Downloads
    Uploads

At-43

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I picked up Operation Damocles...the starter set for AT-43 from Rakham Games (NA distrib Fantasy Flight Games). I personally like the game quite a bit. The rules play just about like any other miniature game, and the pre-painted mini's are actually fairly decent quality. I was just wondering what other people though, if they've played it, picked up any mini's or know about other (maybe better/cheaper) pre-painted mini games.

* just a quick disclaimer...I know there is a whole different hobby to painting your own miniatures...those who like to paint will ALWAYS rag on pre-painted minis...fair enough but I don't have the patience to sit down and paint everything, most times I just want to play!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like to paint, and the only real fault I see with pre-painted minis is the sales options - blind random packaging, or secondhand with grossly inflated "shipping & handling" charges.

Sure, if I was to start a new character I'd try to find a resembling metal mini and paint it before looking at DDM or Reaper, but there's some decent "preps" out there too.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Apocryphal Bushi View Post
    * just a quick disclaimer...I know there is a whole different hobby to painting your own miniatures...those who like to paint will ALWAYS rag on pre-painted minis...fair enough but I don't have the patience to sit down and paint everything, most times I just want to play!

I paint minis and I don't always rag on pre-painted minis. In fact I would like to get ahold of those DnD minis at my LFGS that they sell for .25 apiece.

My son has a pretty extensive collection of DnD minis and I sometimes sneak one or a few of them to supplement my game some. I know sometimes the paint job is incredibly bad, but sometimes not. That is part of the reason I don't buy them sealed in a box, never know what you are going to get and how well they are painted.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No, nio, no I don't need another game.

Yea the minis are sooo nice the rules sooo simple.

I'm hopeless. Must get back to painting the ogres.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mead View Post
    I like to paint, and the only real fault I see with pre-painted minis is the sales options - blind random packaging.
    The nice thing about AT-43 is that the units are sold in the same kind of packaging as Warhammer, so it's about army building rather than blind luck.

I personally want to build a Red Army force, but there is a shortage of interest in my area so I feel like I have to build 2 armies at once so I can lend my opponent an army!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Apocryphal Bushi View Post
    The nice thing about AT-43 is that the units are sold in the same kind of packaging as Warhammer, so it's about army building rather than blind luck.

I personally want to build a Red Army force, but there is a shortage of interest in my area so I feel like I have to build 2 armies at once so I can lend my opponent an army!
    I was thinking along the lines of fantasy minis, but yeah, that's a superior way to sell product.

I bought a case of Mage Knight once, and was rather disappointed with the outcome. And I've only ever bought 5 boosters of DDM because of that... got hosed with dupes on the last buy - 5 sets of dupes with one triplet, out of two packs of the latest DDM set, screw that bullcheese.

On the bright side, I do have an old Beholder lurking somewhere, just gotta find it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was thinking along the lines of fantasy minis
    Rackham produces a fantasy line in the same style of unit/hero buying....it's called.....Confrontation? I think

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/co...ts/?faction=41
    "A hunter of shadows, himself a shade"
    Homer, The Odyssey (II, 572)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I was thinking along the lines of fantasy minis, but yeah, that's a superior way to sell product.

I bought a case of Mage Knight once, and was rather disappointed with the outcome. And I've only ever bought 5 boosters of DDM because of that... got hosed with dupes on the last buy - 5 sets of dupes with one triplet, out of two packs of the latest DDM set, screw that bullcheese.
    Since I'm not building a war band I see DDM dupes as a bonus. I can use more Orcs,. Goblins, etc..

I personally would pay a little more if it wasn't so random however. To do it like At-43.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    Since I'm not building a war band I see DDM dupes as a bonus. I can use more Orcs,. Goblins, etc..

I personally would pay a little more if it wasn't so random however. To do it like At-43.
    Meh. They're useful, but as far as getting a nice random selection, it feels like a wash. Heck, it might even be within the statistical norm to get that many dupes from so few boxes, I don't know. Doesn't seem like it though.

Suppose I shouldn't complain. At least the dupes I got were trogs, goblins, iron defenders, centipedes, and bats.

I too would buy more of them if I could get a box of orcs, or a box of skeletons, or whatever else, and pay less than I would for metal. That would be nice.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Heck, it might even be within the statistical norm to get that many dupes from so few boxes, I don't know.
    All based on the rarity of the minis. The symbol next to the mini-number gives you that info. Per box you get 1 rare (star), 4 uncommon (diamond), and 3 common (circle) I believe.

D&D Minis can be expensive if you're buying em all alone, but if you have a friend or more to trade with it can be quite effective, you trade them the faction(s) you don't want for the faction(s) they don't want.

The D&D RPG value is incredibly nice too.

Developer for Darkage Warlord, a Pen & Paper Games exclusive Medieval Wargame.

If you are in the DC metro area and like to trade D&D minis (1.0 or 2.0), please send me a PM!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
    All based on the rarity of the minis. The symbol next to the mini-number gives you that info. Per box you get 1 rare (star), 4 uncommon (diamond), and 3 common (circle) I believe.
    Correct, but that's not what I'm talking about.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I also recently got into AT-43. I am really enjoying the game. I am currently reading the AT-43 Rule book and am waiting for my copies of the UNA and Therian army books. I have perused a lot of the other online boards for AT-43. I am looking forward to getting the new Cog army box when it gets released later this year.

I am more of a UNA guy myself. The mobility of the troops dovetails nicely with my tactics style. I like the look of the Therians, but I believe that the Cogs may be the army that matches my style of tactics, which is high mobility and small group tactics that hit hard. The Red Blok are cool too, but they lend themselves to a more entrenched and in-your-face style of play, although their sniping abilities are great too.

The miniatures look absolutely awesome. Some seem a little flimsy at certain points, especially with the Therian miniatures, but that is what makes them so cool. I have always wanted to get into this type of gaming, not only since RPGs kind of evolved from this type of gaming (at least talking about D&D0). I could not because despite my ability with tactics I really suck at art, so painting a miniature is very daunting since I lack both the ability and the patience to paint.

You are correct in that Confrontation is AT-43s fantasy sibling. My choice between the two actually came down to money. The hobby store that I often spend money at was selling AT-43 Operation: Damocles Initiation set at half off, $40. I will probably also get into Confrontation in the future, as the miniatures are just as cool and in some ways better.
    Last edited by DragonmagRT; 04-15-2009 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Addition