Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So how's everyone's 4th Edition Campaigns Running so Far?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile So how's everyone's 4th Edition Campaigns Running so Far?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    So after about 2 weeks sitting down with the new rules and playing in a couple of adventures with my new gaming group I had the honor of starting a campaign for them. I really liked the map for Barrow of the Forgotten King but never had a chance to run it. That said I kept a little (a couple of the original room descriptions and maybe the encounter with a little bit of 4th edition tweaking) but the most part I built from scratch over 95% of the original adventure with my own flavor and style and I'd say it's easier (at least for me) than past editions (not to start an edition war again, just wanted to ask everyone their opinions on how it was for them). We started and two players rolled up their characters there at the table and we still got through 4 encounters (taking them up to right before the beholder puzzle room that was in the original module...though I'm doing something different for that room) Actually as a dungeon master I noticed how much combat flowed at an easier pace. I believe the players had a really good time (and I'm happy because I think this is one of the best adventures I've ever wrote to kick off a new campaign). I think it was a wonderful beginning to a great storyline I hope reaches lvl 30 one day. So ANYWAY...my question to you other Dungeon Masters and Players out there...How are your 4th edition campaigns running so far? Any really inspiring encounters that will stick out for the years to come thus far? Anything really cool you've seen so far?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I put together a one shot campaign for my family and friends during my vacation to the West. I concur that it was very easy to put together the adventure from a DM's perspective. Very little time was required to piece together very interesting and unique encounters, and with the balance the way it is, I was confident the players would be able to have a good time regardless of party makeup (as long as they covered the role bases).

I ran the adventure once for my family, and will do it again with my friends tomorrow. I did underestimate the strength of the characters, some of the encounters were too easy, but it will be easy enough for me to modify them to higher level encounters for the next pass.

My adventure included 3 combat encounters, and a diplomatic skill challenge. One of the combats was set in a room with a puzzle to escape while the room got steadily more dangerous and critters started attacking from above. That was quite fun.

Tamareth, you ought to post a play by play for one or more of your encounters. They give readers a much more concrete way to learn about 4e when they haven't been able to play themselves. I will do the same sometime later this week for mine.

Developer for Darkage Warlord, a Pen & Paper Games exclusive Medieval Wargame.

If you are in the DC metro area and like to trade D&D minis (1.0 or 2.0), please send me a PM!

Downloads
    Uploads
    A friend ran a 4e adventure to quell all the naysayers in the group.

We started off with an escape from gaol skill challenge followed by a combat to subdue the guards. Then we had a gather info skill challenge to find out why we were arrested and who was behind it. Next, we had 3 combats to capture the real villains. And we ended with a trial skill challenge to prove our innocence and the guilt of the villains.

Overall we agreed we did not like the flavour of combat, but the skill challenges were fun and similar to how we have been doing skills all along. Even though we ended up in prison due to bad rolls and the Tiefling trying to bully the judge.
    ... AND ON THE EIGHTH DAY, GOD SAID, "I NEED A DRINK."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
    Tamareth, you ought to post a play by play for one or more of your encounters. They give readers a much more concrete way to learn about 4e when they haven't been able to play themselves. I will do the same sometime later this week for mine.
    Fantastic Idea Maelstrom! You know, I was just looking for a post like that elsewhere right before I read your reply. I'll start up a new thread just for that as not to derail from this one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    We've had two sessions so far, not counting character generation and trial combat. Here's one player's journal:

http://worldsedge-kate.blogspot.com

(Note that it's a blog, so posts are top-newest- start from the bottom-most post, "Starting out".)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdar View Post
    We've had two sessions so far, not counting character generation and trial combat. Here's one player's journal:

(Note that it's a blog, so posts are top-newest- start from the bottom-most post, "Starting out".)
    A really well done story Thanks for sharing it with us

ronpyatt is offline Dallas Organizer & Admin Golden d20 Award
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    4ed is going great so far. We'll have our 4th session this Thursday. I've played a Tiefling paladin (very playable), and a Eladrin warlock (also very playable). We'll be leveling up to 2nd level and settling on our more permanent characters for the campaign. I'm going with a Dragonborn paladin.
    I also created a 16th level character NPC (practice for when I DM), which I thought would be hard, but creating the character was actually pretty easy. The array of powers was also easy to choose from based on the direction I wanted to go with the character.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Great start so far! I can't wait to find out what the Prince negotiated...
    --
    Grimwell

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by grimwell View Post
    Great start so far! I can't wait to find out what the Prince negotiated...
    Thanks! It's now updated to the present (well, up to last night's session), and we do find out what the Prince was up to.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks! It's now updated to the present (well, up to last night's session), and we do find out what the Prince was up to.
    That's a great story Valdar! I look forward to more in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by ronpyatt View Post
    4ed is going great so far. We'll have our 4th session this Thursday. I've played a Tiefling paladin (very playable), and a Eladrin warlock (also very playable). We'll be leveling up to 2nd level and settling on our more permanent characters for the campaign. I'm going with a Dragonborn paladin.
    I also created a 16th level character NPC (practice for when I DM), which I thought would be hard, but creating the character was actually pretty easy. The array of powers was also easy to choose from based on the direction I wanted to go with the character.
    Awesome! My fiancee tried out a Dragonborn Paladin in her first adventure in 4th. Not only did she find out she loved playing a paladin (I think she has like two paladin's she has rolled...one being a Dragonborn paladin and the other a Minotaur Paladin of the Raven Queen), but for a fact I've seen her play online MMO's and she's always hated Paladin characters...so for her to like them and find the best ways to tweak them out in table top D&D shows to me that she's having a good time playing one and enjoying the game as a whole.

I was thinking about converting some of my old D&D characters I made back in high school just for fun so your post is really encouraging that!

I hope you like your new character and keep me posted on how your game progresses! I'm really liking what I'm reading so far from everyone. Thank You for taking the time to share your experiences!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Even though it's just me and another friend within the group, the game so far has been pretty great and the flow is great as well. Me being a Human Wizard (And the DM..) with my friend being the Dragonborn Cleric, we so far make a pretty good team. Except that we almost had our butts handed to by kobolds, where the cleric died and I had to force a healing potion down his throat XD
    "When I look into the skies, I always spot the same clouds that I saw when I was just a small child. To this day..those clouds mean nothing to anyone else but me. I'm the only one whom saw them, so I gave them my love.." - Avlien Ragui

Downloads
    Uploads

Going very well!

Although only two sessions into it, I'm running the gang through Keep on the Shadowfell and things have been going swimmingly!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Abashima View Post
    Although only two sessions into it, I'm running the gang through Keep on the Shadowfell and things have been going swimmingly!
    Awesome, Keep me posted on what happens when they meet Splug. I always loved that encounter and what the players decide to do. (or the DM)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Tamerath(see above), has begun his 4.0 campaign. It would be fair to say that we were impressed with the amount of effort and preparation that went into his game. Not to mention, it was just plain fun. Playing over 30 years, This was one of the more memorable ones ive played. I would of liked to stay in his campaign but, life got in the way and i had to bow out. Rest assured, i have people on the inside that will keep me updated.

Thoth-Amon

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoth-Amon View Post
    Tamerath(see above), has begun his 4.0 campaign. It would be fair to say that we were impressed with the amount of effort and preparation that went into his game. Not to mention, it was just plain fun. Playing over 30 years, This was one of the more memorable ones ive played. I would of liked to stay in his campaign but, life got in the way and i had to bow out. Rest assured, i have people on the inside that will keep me updated.

Thoth-Amon
    Awww...Man you just made my day! Thanks for the compliment You are always welcome to my game table!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast