Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Need help locating sci-fi game.
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help locating sci-fi game.

Downloads
    Uploads

Need help locating sci-fi game.

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    My friends and I have been playing DnD for quite some time now since 2nd edition. We've played some d20 modern enjoyed that for a little while. Played Star wars the version just prior to Saga Edition. That was ok i think we had problems with it do to the premade adventure we tried to play. We've just been playing fantasy too long and I'm trying to locate soemthing new. One more thing we tried was mutants and masterminds but that was a horrible experience the group got frustrated with the character creation and that left them jaded and not wanting to even really play.

I personally want to try a scifi or modern style game. I would REALLY like something scifi since we've never really given a scifi game more than a 1 session try. I'm looking for some suggestions of not only Games to look into but to tips to have the group try something new. These guys like what they like and trying new things is always a chore with them. Any and all help is very welcome.

Also if possible when reffering a game i would like to try and stay easy... for instance i looked at gurps and got kinda overwhelmed by the amount of books and i didn't wanna start buying since I hear a new edition is in the works?

Thank you to everyone in advance for all your help if anyone needs some more info before refering a game please ask and i will try and be swift on my answer once again thank you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You could try Rifts. Itís a mix of the technology and magic set on a future earth where there are monsters and such running around. There are a lot of books that go with Rifts, but in all honesty all you need is the core book and maybe 1-2 North America books to really have fun. Only reason to get the other books is if you are going to be globe trotting or actually want to read about what is happening in the rest of the world.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Traveller is THE universal sci-fi setting with a ridiculous amount of fan support. There are multiple versions in various systems. The information in the GURPS books (on sale for $9.99 a piece from SJGAmes) is very useful even if you don't use GURPS as a system. Also the plethora of desk plans out there for Traveller and Fading Suns (done in Traveller style) is a bonus.

This setting spans across several time eras. There are multiple detailed sectors and systems, as well as whole areas left uncharted for you to detail. You can run Serenity style games, Star Trek style games, Star Wars styled games, mercenary games, merchant based games, exploration based games, the list goes on and on.

First, since your group is already familiar with d20 why not check out Traveller 20 (T20)? It's already in a system your group knows.

Also Mongoose Publishing just started releasing a new updated version of the original system. Skill based (no classes or levels) system that is pretty simple.

Do some research. Almost any system has a conversion. I love the Savage Worlds system and there are 3 conversions for that system.

Even if you don't play in the Traveller setting, the enormous resources for the game can be pilferred for ideas, maps, adventures, ship designs, worlds, star maps, solar systems, et al.

Suggestion: Research one area in Traveller you like. Pick an adventure style you want to run, then focus your research, buying, and efforts on those supplements that will help you run that game. Start small. As the campaign progresses you can gather more resources and even expand the options of the campaign.

Just start exploring all the material out there for Traveller. I am sure you can find a system that fits your style and more resources than you could possibly use in a lifetime.
    Trentin C Bergeron (TreChriron)
    Bard, Dreamer & RPG Enthusiast
    October Northwest

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm very sorry to hear about your group's bad experience with Mutants & Masterminds. It really is an excellent game if you can spend the time absorbing the differences between it and standard d20. One of my favorite RPGs, actually, but I agree that character creation can be a little intensive the first time through.

As far as sci-fi games, if your group is willing to give another Star Wars game a try, I heartily recommend either the Star Wars D6 version published by West End Games, or the Saga Edition by WotC. Both are excellent game systems and D6 is so simple, even strict "d20" players shouldn't be turned off by it.

Alternity is another possibility, but I know it's out of print and my actual experience with the game is limited. The system did seem a little funky at the time, but I never read the whole thing. A lot of people seem to like it.

Cyberpunk 2020 is a really good game with really simple rules, but it is also a very lethal game, so if your PCs go around trying to get into gun fights, they'll tend to end up in either the hospital or the morgue.

Then there's the Serenity and Battlestar Galactica RPGs, which are pretty new and use an interesting and fairly simple system.

Other than that, there's not much else I can recommend with confidence as I've had difficulty finding good sci-fi games myself.

Let us know how things go.
    HARRY DRESDEN ó WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes Yes to Webhead you listen!

Everything he said I recommend as well!

Oh course I am going to push Star Wars Saga Edition a little bit more because it is my new favorite game system. And its Star Wars!
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

"It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Tremayne View Post
    ...Oh course I am going to push Star Wars Saga Edition a little bit more because it is my new favorite game system. And its Star Wars!
    I'll admit that despite my initial misgivings about it (the general "d20" burn out I was facing over the last few years and the fact that I'd played and wasn't impressed with both previous editions of d20 Star Wars), Saga Edition has really impressed me. It's the version of d20 I wished D&D 3e had been released under back in 2000.

Beyond that, I've found it supremely easy to run and to prepare for both in terms of creating npcs and making fast, exciting encounters.

I'm not sure that Saga could ever completely replace D6's place in my heart (having been my bread-and-butter RPG for 13 years) nor should it, but Saga Edition is still excellent and very worth of the Star Wars license.
    HARRY DRESDEN ó WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Bureau 13. It's modern, it has SF overtones and a bit of the mystical as well. Fun game, very customizable to the way you prefer to play.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by trechriron View Post
    I love the Savage Worlds system and there are 3 conversions for that system.
    Thanks for the conversions link, that'll be really helpful for me!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    Some SF games I really like:

Hard Nova ][ A light, flexible system with a sweet setting - a stellar federation of humans and aliens expanding, ecploring, and meeting new species

Nebuleon - Humans are the cockroaches of the game, having fled here from some disaster they are homeless newcomers in an alien universe.

Lightspeed - Mash Star Wars and Star Trek together with Space Rangers.

Shebang! - Earth is long gone, and humanity lives on a bleak, cyberpunkish terraformed Mars.

Also there are my SF games:

StarCluster 2 - Humans fled a destroyed solar system thousands of years ago in slower than light colony ships, arriving in the Cluster 500 years ago.

Cold Space - The Cold War in space - an FTL/antigravity device was discovered in 1949 and the race for the stars was on. Covers 1949-1989.

FTL Now - The sequel to Cold Space - Colonial separatists ram a comet into the Earth, and half the people on Earth die from the aftereffects. Now the colonies are on their own willy-nilly. Covers 1990-now.

Note - all these systems are considerably lighter than D&D in prep time, and all can be played with just the core book, though most have optional supplements.

-clash
    Last edited by clash; 07-02-2008 at 09:57 AM.
    clash bowley * Flying Mice Games - an Imprint of Better Mousetrap Games
    Flying Mice home page: http://jalan.flyingmice.com/flyingmice.html
    StarCluster 2 * Sweet Chariot 2 * Book of Jalan * Forward... to Adventure!
    Blood Games II RPG * Cold Space RPG * FTL Now * In Harm's Way * Aces In Spades * Aces And Angels * Wild Blue

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape View Post
    Thanks for the conversions link, that'll be really helpful for me!
    My Pleasure. Now REALLY ...
    Trentin C Bergeron (TreChriron)
    Bard, Dreamer & RPG Enthusiast
    October Northwest

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you all

My 1 friend and i have settled on Star Wars for couple reason... First we both know the IP VERY. Second it's a mix between 3rd and 4th editions in the system so it'll be very easy to migrate. And last KOTOR comming out and we're huge KOTOR nerds.... the only thing we're changing is it says level 1 jedi= padawan and since I DO NOT want everyone who makes a jedi to wanna start our game at level 7+ I needed to discard that little tidbit for the current mission i'll be running... I wanted to try the new traveler and a bunch of the others posted but it was impossible to convince my group.... they like sticking to easy I THOUGH M+M was easy to learn but it was like teaching a salamander physics... anyway thanks again everyone

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Everith View Post
    My 1 friend and i have settled on Star Wars for couple reason... First we both know the IP VERY. Second it's a mix between 3rd and 4th editions in the system so it'll be very easy to migrate. And last KOTOR comming out and we're huge KOTOR nerds.... the only thing we're changing is it says level 1 jedi= padawan and since I DO NOT want everyone who makes a jedi to wanna start our game at level 7+ I needed to discard that little tidbit for the current mission i'll be running... I wanted to try the new traveler and a bunch of the others posted but it was impossible to convince my group.... they like sticking to easy I THOUGH M+M was easy to learn but it was like teaching a salamander physics... anyway thanks again everyone
    My pleasure!

I think you will find Saga to be very simple for them to catch on.

The only difficulties I have had from running it have been getting players out of the D&D 3.5 mode of thinking, (hack & slash, kill everything, and loot the bodies) and getting used to the minor rules differences.

Otherwise it is lots of fun to play!
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

"It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If Star Wars doesn't work out I suggest Dark Heresy (Warhammer 40k), simple fast rules and most D&D guys can get it in a couple sessions.
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Downloads
    Uploads

Starfrontiersman -=starfrontier

ok all of these post suggestions where good, but I can offer you better- try Starfrontiers!
    http://www.starfrontiersman.com/downloads/remastered

this is why its better
    10. its free
    09. it has both simple basic rules expanded rules and all new rules
    08. its free
    07. it has a great little fan supported magazine
    06.the magazine is free
    05.its old school gaming and its very flexible system
    03. take five minute to make characters
    02. you can learn the whole game in one evening of reading
    01.! its free!
    <we wanted to use four, but he got unruly and had to be shoot!>

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    considering that the number four has connotations of death in japanese, that's entirely appropriate! ^^

i vote for star frontiers, if for no other reason than nostalgia!

=D
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast