Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

DDM2 Skirmish - Mulsiphix vs Maelstrom
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DDM2 Skirmish - Mulsiphix vs Maelstrom

Downloads
    Uploads

DDM2 Skirmish - Mulsiphix vs Maelstrom

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Mulsiphix:

We need to decide a couple things before getting started.

1) Size of armies.

For an introductory battle, I recommend we do a 100 pt skirmish. The standard is 200 pts, but 100 pts ought to be good to see how viable a PBP DDM2 battle is.

Also, would you like me to build an army for you as I offered? If so, what sounds best to you for a faction: Underdark, the Wild, Civilization, or the Borderlands? I'll probably be doing Borderlands.

Because this is online, we can choose whatever units, but I recommend we limit the use of rares (though they tend to limit themselves with how much they cost). Maybe 1 rare per side for a smaller 100 point skirmish.

2) Map.

Usually, the map is determined by players during setup, but I think for this, because I'll need to download a map pic and modify it a little for easy reference, we should just choose one and go with it. I like the looks of the Fane of the Drow map: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mit/20050728a, which is freely available from WoTC, but I'm open for other suggestions.

3) Rolling

Seems like integrated rolling is on the way, but its not here yet. We can use this roller for now: http://www.rpghost.com/dicer.shtml We'll both get the emails, and the person who's turn it is can post the results.

I'll start thinking about how to adapt some of the rules to PBP play, but I don't think it will take much work.
    Last edited by Maelstrom; 02-11-2008 at 01:26 PM.

Developer for Darkage Warlord, a Pen & Paper Games exclusive Medieval Wargame.

If you are in the DC metro area and like to trade D&D minis (1.0 or 2.0), please send me a PM!

Downloads
    Uploads
    1) I agree a 100pt army sounds good as a test to see how easy it is to play in PBP format. I would really like for you to build me an army for this first game. I think The Wild sound delicious. 1 Rare per side for this skirmish sounds just fine by me.

2) The map you picked out is just fine. I was thinking that we could setup the map in MapTool, using tokens for units, and just take a screenshot and upload it after each turn? Just a thought, what do you think would work well for this?

3) That roller is fine by me. Is there anything else I need to do to prepare for this first game?

Thank you for getting everything setup. I am extremely excited about playing this game. Your passion on the forums for DDM has had me drooling over this game for a good while now. I might just end up being a fellow addict. In fact I'm counting on it!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll work out a couple warbands then. Since that is part of setup for DDM2, I'll just reveal them here.

As far as rules, we can step you through as needed, and if you have specific questions you can go to the guide. Having the rules listed here though will make it easy for anyone following to know what is going on. And correct me if I'm wrong Keep in mind this is my first playing of DDM version 2.0 too.

After that, we roll initiative for who gets to place where. The only thing to do now is take a look at the map and see if you can pick out locations of strategic interest. There are two main regions you'll need to watch: The starting areas and the victory areas. Starting areas are... where you start. By having units in Victory areas you get bonus victory points. Start thinking about what starting area you want if you win initiative.

Maptool sounds good. If you want to keep the files and update them each turn that would be nice. If you'd like to trade off or have me do it, I can do it too, once I learn a bit about MapTool.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulsiphix View Post
    Thank you for getting everything setup. I am extremely excited about playing this game. Your passion on the forums for DDM has had me drooling over this game for a good while now. I might just end up being a fellow addict. In fact I'm counting on it!
    This sounds pretty fun! Having a PBP version going on sounds like a pretty fun drama, and certainly gives you a lot more time to think about your move. Hopefully we can win another convert or two with our antics The more the merrier! The more opponents I can slam down!
    Last edited by Maelstrom; 02-11-2008 at 04:13 PM.

If you are in the DC metro area and like to trade D&D minis (1.0 or 2.0), please send me a PM!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I definitely plan on updating my end of Maptool each turn. I figured you would do the same for your turns. We could make tokens for MapTool using images of the miniatures themselves. The same guys that make MapTool also make one of the best Token creators I've ever seen. Gets the job done very well

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Warbands

Player: Mulsiphix
    Faction: The Wild, with Evil tendancies
    Total value: 97 points

First up, we have Mulsiphix' warband, coming out of the Wild to wreck havoc upon civilization! Weighing in at 42 points, this warband is led by a fearsome Sahaugin Baron *collective gasp*. This champion brings pain to the battlefield with his Trident and Claw Rake attacks, and can make those that follow him fearsome even when injured badly.

He is followed by a Yuan-Ti Malison, who's varied attacks include a powerful ranged attack and the ability to scare the socks off of those in a radius around him. He also provides bonuses to the next member, a Flame Snake. Watch out, he spits. Fire. And burns you if he bites you.

Finally, no wild warband is complete without a Devil summoned to serve and destroy. Here comes the Spined Devil, who's flight ability and ranged attack renders him a menace throughout the battlefield. When he does close in for the kill, beware his spines, which will strike out at you as you strike him!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battleunits_mul.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	65

Player: Maelstrom
    Faction: Civilization
    Total Value: 95 Points

Daring to defend Civilization from the encroaching abominations, this band is led by a well known Mercenary General, riding upon a sturdy warhorse. He brings to the battlefield a loyal cohort, a Militia Archer. This General knows how to lead his troops to victory, aiding them in their time of need with his Champion abilities.

The General's cohort is not alone... though the first joins at no cost to the warband, a second Militia archer also joins the ranks. These archers are experts in their field, laying down coordinated fire and having some minor champion abilities themselves, giving them the ability to shoot a long range, or giving allies a bonus against more powerful opponents.

Rounding up the band is a Halfling Enchanter. Though he is small, his Mental Shock ability is well practiced, and he can use it to cause additional hesitation and vertigo in his victims. He is also quite difficult to hit, having a couple mirror images.

Name:	battleunits_mael.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	66

Edit: My host is on the fritz, so I had to upload these pics as attachments rather than image links.
    Last edited by Maelstrom; 02-12-2008 at 06:26 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Now we must prepare for war! The first order of business is to roll initiative. First, we compare champion levels. Since the Mercenary General's champion rating of 4 is higher than the Sahaugin Baron's champion rating of 3, I get to roll two d20s for initiative and take the higher. Mulsiphix rolls one d20. Whoever has the higher roll wins.

• The winner chooses which start area to use (A or B).
    • The loser places their warband on the map first in the other start area.
    • The winner then places their warband on the map.
    This is modified from the rules since we've already chosen the map. In the rules, the winner chooses the map, the loser chooses the first start area, etc.

Unfortunately it looks like the dicer program isn't working.

Want to roll and post for now, or do you want to try a different alternative?
    Last edited by Maelstrom; 02-11-2008 at 08:14 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lets just roll for now. I have a D20 here at the house. I roll a 2 .

Downloads
    Uploads
    13 and 11, so I get to choose a start area.

I'm going to pick Start area B on the left. You've got two start areas... you can split up your units between the both of them.

The only question now... are there any of our units that are large in size? I'll have to look at mini pics to find out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Let me know when you do. Need to get some tokens created for MapTool. I could just use the images from the cards you provided, just for this game at least. That okay with you?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Fine by me. You can also look at the Wizards site... http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mg/dod

There's a gallery of the actual minis used for Desert of Desolation (where all these units come from).

As far as large units... There is the Warhorse and the Baron. Even the Spined Devil has a medium base.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What is the significance of the unit size?

Downloads
    Uploads
    How do these tokens look?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Beautiful! Nicely done!

The ones that are Large (Baron and horse) take up two squares two a side.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's the map.

V is for Victory area, and S is for starting area. The areas outlined in green are for side A, and the areas in pink are side B.

Name:	faneofloth.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	67
    Looking at the map: I'd recommend opening in a new window.

So Green in the Green S sections is where it is legal for you to set up. Choose a location for all your units, keeping in mind terrain and where your victory areas are.

Just for a little scoring tidbit:
    You can score two ways. Holding Victory Areas and Defeating your opponent's units. We are playing a standard Assault (100) scenario, so you gain 5 points if you have any units in any of your victory areas at the end of a round (It's usually 10 for a standard 200 point scenario, so I'm cutting it in half). Each time you eliminate an opponents units, you get victory points equal to their value.

Edit : Map updated w/area bonuses
    Last edited by Maelstrom; 02-12-2008 at 05:14 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
    Beautiful! Nicely done!

The ones that are Large (Baron and horse) take up two squares two a side.
    In MapTool you can set a tokens size. Tokens can take up a single square, 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, etc... Not a problem

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
    Here's the map.
    Why did you make the map so small? Why not keep it at its original size and then add the coordinates? Also aren't we playing this with maptool and tokens? No need for coordinates if that is the case right? Just confused

click on map to see full size original

click on map to see full size original

I am putting together a maptool campaign file. It will include the tokens, the map, and the proper settings for using it for the play by post method. Becuase the squares on this map are not perfect we cannot use MapTools "snap to grid" function. However moving the tokens manually works just fine. Anyway I'll post it a little later today. I promised my wife some movie time. When I get back I'll finish the campaign file and upload it for you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast