Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: How to be a GREAT Role Player?

Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb How to be a GREAT Role Player?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I'm thinking of starting next week a workshop teaching gamers how to be a great roleplayer. Our association already has a workshop going on how to teach gamers how to be a great DM. What are your favorite three websites that teach someone how to be a great player? Do you know of any books on the subject?

I'm thinking one or two tips per one hour training session should be enough for one meeting?

What are the subjects I should cover each workshop?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have no handy links or handy books that help for this. What I offer is nothing more than an comfy - and EMPTY - chair.

When dealing with new players, to get them in the "mood" for role playing, I ask them to think of gaming like a movie that they are WATCHING - that they are NOT starring in. They are the DIRECTOR for the character on the screen. What is THAT PERSON going to do? The DM is crafting the set and other characters, but the player is directing this particular character.

I will warn them that the DM will ask, "What are you going to do," and, "What do you do," but they should hear "What is your character going to do," and, "What is your character doing," instead.

This has always helped for me.

As for what you should do for a class, outside of this little tidbit, I can offer nothing.

Sorry.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Malruhn, interesting spin.

I go for method acting.

You are your character. If you are in a scene in a game, and you do not know what to say, stutter, or say "I don't know what to say to that, my liege."

Know your PC stats, skills, ability, backgrouns, motivations cold. Does he miss his bratty older sister that died in a fire, who picked on him when he was younger? Does he prefer steak and eggs or oatmeal for breakfast, this all relates to quiet, or loud,introveted, extroverted. Does he or she handle crowds well?

Plus, Practice playing dozens of different characters that way, and you're an expert.

I think half of roleplaying is acting.

But, "Don't act, don't try to act, just say your lines." is true also.

Websites? none. Get a bunch of good acting books.
    -Etarnon
    Refereeing RPGs since 1977

Old School Gamers (Online) Meetup Group Organizer
    http://www.meetup.com/Old-School/