Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting the moon

Downloads
    Uploads

Wink Shooting the moon

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Yesterday i went to my local indie games group meet up (we meet up once a month to play random games) and played a game called Shooting the moon. You can check this game out at IPR: http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/home.php

Anyway... I had a lot of fun this this game though its really one a one shot game that list about 3 hours at the most. You could prolong the game a bit more by making the scenes last, but went you get down to it... 3hours is good enough. The premise of the game is Love triangles. Now a lot of you will be saying to yourselves, "well that doesn't sound fun" or "I play with a bunch of guys and we don't float that way". Which is all very understandable, but i say to you that it does not have to be about romance or even sex.
    The game is set up for 3 people.. You have the GM who players the beloved, or the character that the other two players have an interest in. The other two players play the suitors; they doth have an interest in the beloved but do not want the other to win or achieve their goal. the game is broken down into scenes that the character role play out this love triangle. During these scenes the opposing suitor of the suitor who has the initiative for that scene can at any point causes problems or develop obstacles for the suitor with the initiative. The game operate on D6's and the characters are made up of aspects that represent parts of the character's personality/concept.
    the way we played this was that instead of the suitors being in love with the beloved we had it setup that we wanted into her new band. We set the game up in the punk scene in Seattle, I played a awesome drummer that got kicked out of his last band and the other suitor was a guitarist who was a virgin and a poser. Instead of competing for her love we competed for spots in the band- the hinges was that we wouldn't play with each other. Lots of fun. The game ended with a tie between the two suitors in the last scene which meant that we both failed and the band fell on it's face.
    So if you have a chance to check out the game, please do.. you may find that you love it.
    I do not play them here or there, I do not play them anywhere, I do not play them with a fox. I do not mash that button box. I do not like MMO games. In the end ther're all the same.
    -Tesral

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    interesting. i applaud your variation on the theme that made it more palatable for the stereotypical group of guys. ^^
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    Seems like a good game to sample at a convention. I'm in the mood to try hippy games.
    Au gibet noir, manchot aimable, dansent, dansent les paladins
    Les maigres paladins du diable les squelettes de Saladins.

Downloads
    Uploads
    hippy games?
    I do not play them here or there, I do not play them anywhere, I do not play them with a fox. I do not mash that button box. I do not like MMO games. In the end ther're all the same.
    -Tesral

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's a term that many people in the "indie" community use (by lack of better term) to single out games where the focus is less about being "in character" and more about sharing narrative control. I assume it's a pejorative name some people cracked at them and they endorsed it because it indirectly indicates that the mechanisms they use are different to the classical "GM tells the story/players describes PCs interactions" paradigm. The exact term they use is "dirty hippy games" btw.

Another aspect of this "dirtiness" is when these games rely on a different social contract. Most groups rely on an implicit Nobody Gets Hurt rule : if a player is uncomfortable with an element of the story (say torture for instance) the common agreement would be to avoid the subject completely. But some prefer a different style called I Will Not Abandon You, where it's accepted that players push each others "buttons" and don't abandon the game until the "uncomfortable emotional zone" is properly treated with. It's a bit of a complicated subject. Tons of material have been written about it (even books) and I can't pretend to explain it better with my meager understanding. But it exists.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would say that the term is inaccurate then since you tend to have way more role palying in comparison to roll playing in these types of games.. The focus is more on actual role playing than in killing monsters and such.
    -Tesral

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's very possible, for Shooting the Moon at least, I trust your experience. But did the game offer players to frame scene, propose what circumstance, elements in the setting, NPCs where present in the different scenes ? It's the GM prerogative in classical rpgs, whereas many games experiment about conferring to players partial control. Sometimes these games structures around sharing the role of GM. Or even being GMless like Polaris. A lot of role playing in all this, but the the change of paradigm has made some traditional players feel like it's not "role playing", meaning it's too far away from their favorite style. I'm looking forward to giving those games a try. Even if I was not to enjoy them in the end, I'm sure it would refresh my way of playing trad' rpgs. I just have to find adventurous players in CT now

Downloads
    Uploads
    well, i think the person playing the beloved would be the GM. I only had one experience with the game so couldn't say what the rules say about anything that could help me answer your question.

But i will say that i think the player has a good bit of control in what type of scenes would come up, but it had to be logical. Idea that didn't make sense were vetoed by the the rest of us. Which doesn't happen to often i would guess.
    -Tesral

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jade von delioch View Post
    ...But i will say that i think the player has a good bit of control in what type of scenes would come up, but it had to be logical. Idea that didn't make sense were vetoed by the the rest of us. Which doesn't happen to often i would guess.
    This sounds like there's at least a little bit of "hippie-ism" to the game, as the above statement brings me to mind of Wushu. There is a GM who establishes the basics of the setting and story and controls the NPCs, but basically, each player contributes their own additional elements to the scene and the direction of the action as long as it seems within reason of the style of the campaign and the current scene. There are "veto" rights held by the players if someone seems to be "going too far" or getting out of sync in their descriptions, but these are not often needed once players get into the swing of how things work.

Hence, in a game like Wushu, the player doesn't contribute something like "I try to hit the ninja". The player's role is more along the lines of "I stab one ninja in the gut with my sword, do a reverse spin kick to the face of a second, knocking him to the ground, then I grab a fire extinguisher off the wall and make a thick cloud to cover our escape". In a sense, the player is given more control over what happens, but as long as it progresses the action and makes for fun and exciting scenes (i.e. doesn't call for a veto), that's just fine. And don't worry about the two ninja...their 12 friends are likely waiting just around the corner.

Wushu is one of my favorite games I never play...
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    i Just think calling it a hippie game is using the wrong terminology.
    -Tesral

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jade von delioch View Post
    i Just think calling it a hippie game is using the wrong terminology.
    I agree. I prefer just referring to them as "indie" games.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD

Downloads
    Uploads
    The problem with the "indie" term is that most "indie" game designers use it to express that a game is owned by their creator(s) and they have full control about publishing agendas. So it doesn't say much about the play style. For instance there's been a lot of D20 games, which are technically "indie" games but are traditional in the way they're designed.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by boulet View Post
    The problem with the "indie" term is that most "indie" game designers use it to express that a game is owned by their creator(s) and they have full control about publishing agendas. So it doesn't say much about the play style. For instance there's been a lot of D20 games, which are technically "indie" games but are traditional in the way they're designed.
    Agreed. It's a tricky thing. I almost want to call them "avant-garde" but I'm not sure I like that word either. "Indie" just sticks in my mind as "small-press games with unique, non-mainstream systems and play styles".
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD

Downloads
    Uploads
    dictionary- One, such as a studio or producer, that is unaffiliated with a larger or more commercial organization.

All D20 gaming companies could not call themselves "indie" since they are affiliated to WoTC since they use the D20 system.

People have too many ideas of what the term "Indie" means..
    -Tesral

Downloads
    Uploads
    Affiliated is a very loose concept in your definition. Abiding a license like what was the OGL for D20 games isn't much of a commitment, not financially at least. If I'm to trust wikipedia :
    Open Game License (OGL) as Open Game Content (OGC), which allows commercial and non-commercial publishers to release modifications or supplements to the system without paying for the use of the system's associated intellectual property, which is owned by Wizards of the Coast.
    So the creators who use this license pretty much retain all freedom about what material they want to publish, what price policy, what time frame they want to follow...

But anyway I don't care at all about D20. This was only a lame illustration of the ambiguity of the "indie" term. Unless you make it clear with your interlocutor, it can be a description of the type of ownership a creator has on his game or it can imply this "avant-garde" flavor Webhead was talking about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast