Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Campaign Discussion

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Campaign Discussion

Any questions for me relating to the campaign can be posted here.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Those of you who have already rolled stats: If you have an idea what you might want to make, please let me and the others have a rough idea (Race/Class).

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    serious question: i note that the 4 base psionic classes are allowed, but the expanded psionics handbook, from which those classes are taken does not appear to be listed in the approved books.

also i note that the basic prestige enhancement books are listed, but not the updated "complete x" series of books. many of the prestige classes from the basic books are updated from 3.0 to 3.5 in these books, can they be allowed, please? as i am looking at a psionic class for my choice, and the basic prestige books don't have psionic material, that would be an important factor in my choice.

lastly, oriental adventures was updated from 3.0 to 3.5 in one of the dragon magazines. i can get which one it is, in case anyone is interested. are you allowing the dragon mags or the website supplemental material?

as a side note, my first idea for a character, the one i've been wanting to try for a while now, got tossed out the window with the "no LA races" bit. sigh. ^^
    Last edited by nijineko; 06-21-2008 at 04:35 PM.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    Psionics is being taken from the listed website, as I have the original psi handbook, and it's... not so great... Most, if not all of the psionics stuff is in the SRD, so it's OK. But I'd rather stay away from the psi races.

If you have something specific which is not allowed by the above limitations, ask. The worst that will happen is I say "no."

I own the original 5 splat books, but not the 3.5 versions. In most cases the updates are minor. I have access to the Complete series, but prefer to use the books I can easily reference. Again, if there's some reason to prefer the Complete series over the original books, let me know, and I'll take a look at it.

I read over that issue of Dragon. I think I even have it somewhere. There's little that I see as needing updated. See previous comments: If there's something there ... blah blah blah....

To the Dragon magazine stuff... There's so much stuff available, by different authors, not written to work together, and often balanced on its own, and with the core books, but not with other stuff... I just tend to lean away from Dragon magazines for players. There is this one article that turns a bunch of undead creatures into templates though... I just loved that article... *evil laugh*

Finally, what race? There may be some mutually agreeable way to make it work. I'm not completely inflexible, just mostly.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    oh, i can't stand the 3.0 version either. it was a half-baked job. almost there, but still fell short! argh!

the expanded psionics handbook is actually worth the money. if it's not in the srd (most is) i can copy it out for you.

let me get my info together and i'll send it to you about my first idea. which has the advantage of being non-psionic....

i wasn't planning on inflicting an elan on you, even though i have wanted to try one out. ^^ sometimes i'll play a thri-kreen, but usually as a fighter type. if i play an archer, i'll likely go with an elf type. the ebauer would likely be a human.

in any case, let me get the first idea together and send it to you. then you can decide and we'll go from there.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    just an update. i'm trying to avoid typing everything out by hand, but it is looking more likely that i will have to in the end. sigh.

so far the resources that would be used include: Player's Handbook, Races of Stone, Complete Warrior, Complete Adventurer, Enemies & Allies (the old 3.0 book that came out just after the prestige books), Miniatures Handbook, and the Dragon magazine 313. the two templates i wanted to use are part-ogre and part-minotaur, btw. i'm looking at half-giant, goliath, or human as the base race. but leaning away from the half-giant so that i won't have to inflict psionics on you. this build would be completely psionic free, incidentally.

please note that this listing of books is simply a list of all the books that i've found resources that this character would likely use during his development. once i've narrowed down what he will have at the start, then i can give you a condensed list of what i actually used, rather than that "big list of all i'd like to use over the course of twenty levels". ^^

the basic idea is that of the big strong guy who is more than what he was made to be, also trying to overcome some of the handicaps that his training has inflicted upon him. he is an escaped fantasy-version of a super soldier experiment, but one designed by commitee, and a commitee of intellectuals who had never actually seen or experienced combat, to boot. he has spent his life under intense brainwashing and now that he is free, (or is he?) he is trying to do the whole "who-and-what-am-i" thing. for one thing he tries to avoid violence, and flatly refuses to kill sentient beings. he tends towards vegitarianism so that he hurts fewer animals. his philosophy is basically, "hurting bad, killing bad, but gotta eat, gotta live." he is still struggling to work out the details and distintions, however.

he saw many other 'experiments' punished and tortured, even killed, for no good reasons that he could understand. he was tortured and punished himself. this is where his "hurting bad, killing bad" idea comes from. but he has been starved, and he thinks he might have hurt or maybe killed some of the experimenters in escaping, and this bothers him. He realizes that he would be dead if he hadn't escaped, and that he has to eat, even at the expense of animals... that is where the "gotta eat, gotta live" comes from. he is not sure if hurting bad people who are hurting others is okay or not... but he does tend to lose his temper when faced with blatant examples of beings being hurt.

i've also toyed with the idea of having weird random coded keywords which were used during his brainwashing as trigger words for different actions. we could either make these up ahead of time, or i could let you have fun and simply inform me when a combo is hit upon. for the latter option, i would like to have a pre-defined list of likely actions so that i know that number of programmed actions, and what he will do as a result, so that i can rp it out. however, i wouldn't know the keyword in that case. ^^ more fun for you. i'm sure having him expectorate or break vile wind whenever someone says "gold pieces!" would have it's amusing (if low humor) moments. the programmed keywords should be the sort of things that fantasy based intellectuals would find amusing, as well as easy to remember. the resulting actions should be impressive for the funding clients and patrons. probably designed to show off how fierce and scary he is, as well as how strong.

a short list of possible suggestions: break something, kill something, intimidate something, act wild, act obedient, lift something big and heavy, throw something or someone.

(i admit i was tempted to add one more template (part-golem) to give him a big stone arm... thus turning him into a near miss for fantasy-hellboy. all i'd need would be to make him a tiefling as the base race for the finish.... ;D but i didn't.)
    Last edited by nijineko; 06-28-2008 at 09:35 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like this idea. I like it enough that I'm willing to work with the fact that it uses many books I don't have, something I usually don't do. You WILL need to get me the necessary rules text though. Emailing me scans of the appropriate text blocks is good enough, if you don't want to type them out.

There are some issues that need to be dealt with.

1> This character would hate pretty much EVERYTHING about the City-State. He would want OUT, in any possible way. He definitely would not be coming into the City-State, which was my original intention. I'm thinking that he's native to the City-State, and escaped (or did he?), and desperately wants out, but has some goal that prevents him from leaving. You can figure that one out on your own.

2> Is the character the product of crossbreeding (like half-elf, half-orc, orog, etc), or magical mixture (like owlbears, et al)? I have some ideas that would work with your origin, if you are of magical origin.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    within the context of a dictatorial or even rules-heavy (corrupt or not) type city-state, i think that some likely outcomes of his origin might include the following:

captured and sold to a patron of the gladitorial arenas-especially due to his appearance and size and strength-this could even lead to him having free (as in adventuring) time between the big fights...;

anyone wanting some muscle to stand around and look scary, even given his ideology, would be interested in him. especially if they could convince him that they were simply abiding to the terms of an agreement (legal or not-he'd likely not really get the difference)...;

some compassionate individual, group, or order could have found him, and be trying to reform him and teach him how to break free of his conditioning-with varying degrees of success... (i'd likely snarf at any attempt to turn this one into a beauty and the beast look-a-like... which is highly likely to result in unintended player directions, ne?);

he could be extremely wary of anything resembling being owned again, very likely considering. which could result in all of the above being pitched to him at once... he could have offers from arena patrons to come and fight for them, offers from various "interested individuals" who would like him for muscle... and how long would either be likely to wait.... the "law" might want him for the same reasons as above, or be suspisious of him just because of how he looks, or might be wanting to enact some sort of legal control over him.

is he property? would he be considered emancipated? is the legal establishment even aware of him? would they care? his legal status would make a difference... especially if papers are required to move from section to section or get out of the city....

i suppose that it would depend on the status of his previous owner/experimentors. if they were a feared and hated cabal of mind-control Psycho-crats who harbor dark and twisted plans to remake everyone to suit their bizarre and perverse competing theories on the nature of social and mental make-up in a grand experimental game using the whole of the city-state for their playing board to see whose theory would win.... in such a case, everyone would probably join forces to stamp them out, if only to insure that they are in control instead of the psycho-crats. would the experiments be considered dangerous unknowns to be terminated on being made aware that they belonged to the psycho-crats? or would they want the power(s) that might be posessed by such offspring? or the knowledge into magical and transformational processes that they might represent?

or they could be il/legal weapons manufactures and these experiments represent the cutting edge of their research and devolpment program... they may still have representitives in the city, and other holdings... this disaster might only be a small setback to the large corporate entity they are part of. he might have to deal with assassains trying to terminate him, or recruiters unwilling to take no for an answer hunting him down, various factions of the corporation trying to control him for the knowledge that went into his creating, or for his obvious assets, or erradicate him for the insult that his existance represents. what secrets were encoded into his blood and bones? encoded notes enscribed upon the very surface of his bones? mystical patterns encrypted into the fabric of his flesh-his very dna? does he carry a package or packages of mysterious contents surgically implanted somewhere or in various spots in his body?

if they represent something that would be stamped out by others in the city, then he himself might engender a similar response in those who know his origin. or he might be an unknown, the most the law knows is the number of escapees, but no details or descriptions about them. in that case he could be searching for his 'siblings' trying to form a family of outcasts of common background.

as for nature of origin: i'm leaning toward an arcane infusion of various races. i think that's the best explaination for a part-goliath, part-minotaur, and part-ogre mix. even i would be rather hard-pressed to believe a natural parentage for that one. ^^ see some of the above ideas for possible variants and complications that could be attached. ^^ i just hope that i have enough resources or wherewithal to somehow acquire a weapon with the merciful enchantment of appropriate size for my character.

these are just a few off-the-cuff ideas that i'm throwing out there. ^^ and i will get you the needed texts for all things used or desired, somehow or another. =D
    Last edited by nijineko; 07-07-2008 at 05:26 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    OK, random thoughts and responses in no particular order:

A "natural" origin can easily be explained: An evil alignment and multiple applications of the Dominate spell over multiple generations. I'm OK with either origin though.

Citizenship, or lack thereof: Depends on a few factors.
    -Escaped slave: You will be detained by the law. Resistance will be met with any necessary force, up to and including lethal. Your owner will be fined for letting you escape, and may be held responsible for any damages you caused. If returned to your owner alive, your punishment is in his hands. As slaves have no rights, immediate death on return is common, unless the slave is considered valuable.
    -If you are considered a "beast", as opposed to a sentient being, escape will mean the authorities label you a Dangerous Beast, or an abberation from Mermist Swamp. Either carries a "Kill on Sight" command.
    -If you were created in secret, you have no legal standing. You would be treated little better than the beggar class due to your horrific visage, but the law would not be after you. Your former masters have a secret to protect though, and can't risk you exposing them, especially if you were the result of an unlicensed magical experiment, or worse, a black government project.

I'll see if I can find a group that would be willing to help you, but greed is a stronger driving force here than compassion is... You may get (or pay!) more than you bargained for.

Take a look at the equipment choices I listed. The "Heirloom" category may be good for you. It grants one good item (Grabbed while escaping?) and very little else. Seems appropriate for this background, to me at least.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wanted to start very simple for my first attempt so I was thinking about an Elf/Rogue with some kind of disability that makes him an outcast from regular elvin society (which explains part of why he's looking for a new place to live). If this would fit I can flesh him out more once we get the characters set and written up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I want to use the "standard equipment" option for my character. You mentioned starting at lvl 5 is that it or can we choose from 1-5 or do you decide that? At what lvl we start at what hit points do we use max for that lvl/character or do you want us to roll for each one like we would do normally? Finally how would you like us to submit our characters to you for approval?

Downloads
    Uploads
    The City-State setting is slightly more dangerous than "average" Starting you at level 5 is much like starting at 1 in a regular campaign, in terms of survivability at least. Everyone starts at level 5, with minimum XP for that level - 10,000 I think.

You get an automatic max roll on your first hit die. The rest are rolled normally. 1's are rerolled when rolling hit points. Roll them in the dice rolling thread up above. For example, If you went single class rogue, you'd get 6hp at first level, and 4d6 total for levels 2 through 5.

Now that the ball is rolling, I should start a thread to post characters in. Make it as complete and organized as possible, and post there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    OK thats what I needed to know thanks Necrite I'll get right on it

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i agree with you about the heirloom catagory. it seemed best. i kind of like the idea that he was 'designed' for fighting, hence my suggesting arena combat if it's available in this city. in such a case, that could be "his" weapon for when he is demonstrated to potential clients or whatever we decide on. so consider me picking that one. =D i'll get to work on a character sheet for you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    How many of us are there going to be?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast