Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

View Poll Results: How Many NEW 3.X D&D Books Did You Buy? (Not used ones)

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • Only the Players Handbook

15 11.81%
  • The 3 Core Books (PH, DMG, MM)

8 6.30%
  • Less than 5 Rules Books (Fighters, Weapons & Arms, Draconimicon, etc) in addition the Core Books

14 11.02%
  • Less than 5 Setting Books (Eberron, Dragonlance, Forgotten, etc.) in addition to the Core Books

7 5.51%
  • 5-10 Books (Settings & Rules Books) in addition to the Core Books

28 22.05%
  • More than 10 Books (Settings & Rules Books) in addition to the Core Books

55 43.31%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How Many 3.X NEW Books Did You Buy?

Downloads
    Uploads

How Many 3.X NEW Books Did You Buy?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    One argument is that 4E purpose is to "Move Books".

Let's find out our "Worth" as a customer base.

How many 3.X NEW Books did You buy (Not used ones)?

Saluti
    Carlos

Downloads
    Uploads
    Probably one of the reasons I'm not adverse to 4E. I only ever bought 2. The PHB and Complete Adventurer, cause I was only ever a player and I loved rogues and CA had ninjas so I couldn't really resist, to bad the ninja was so meh.
    Normal people worry me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I started counting and Oh! My Goddess!

I bought the 3 Core Books, Arms and Equipment, Psionics, Epic Handbook, Spell Compendium, and 7 Forgotten Realms Books (The only one I regret was City of the Spider Queen).

Saluti
    Carlos

Downloads
    Uploads
    i got them all because one of my favorite things to do is build Cha, Going through the books, picking races and classes and feats and abilities and making a fun guy was part of the reason why i love dnd, Like using the Races of stone, the php, the complete warrior and complete adventure to make a Golieth fighter that uses two weapon fighting with golieth great hammers with the keen feat that makes it 18-20x4 crit. It was just a fun idea. but now with 4 e and all these laid out paths, i just don't see the amount of creativity and fun, and stream lining the rules, have the fun is digging through books trying to convince the GM that your crazy survive or die plan will work.

(Books)
    3 core, races of stone, complete psionics, Expanded psionics, savage spieces, spell compendium, magic item compendium, complete mage, complete adventure, complete warrior, PH2. With out actually being home to look at them i thinks thats all.
    Last edited by jkfoote; 06-18-2008 at 10:28 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This poll could probably use a broader band of scales. Just buying the core books for 3.0 and again for 3.5 is six books right away.

Are we counting modules? And third party DnD products like Monte Cook's Malhavoc brand stuff?

I'd say about 50 books including modules for 3.0 and 3.5 combined. The 3 cores bought twice, some additional MMs, a few of the Complete books, lots of Eberron and Realms, lots of modules (I love reading them even if I dont run them), Manual of the Planes... and really got great use out of Libris Mortis, Lords of Madness and Heroes of Horror playing in a very grim campaign. Then maybe 10 or so other publishers books for DnD.

Downloads
    Uploads
    good point, because oriental adventures is a 3.0 book, and i have that, but not the 3.0 cores

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have four 3.x PHBs alone. 2x 3.0, 2x 3.5. Of course that was not on purpose. One 3.0 was bought for me after I had one and when I first moved to the DFW area I had all my books still in storage and needed a PHB to make a character. So I guess you could say I did not buy one of them (it was purchased on my behalf).

I have a rolling bookshelf for rpg books. Let's just say I am in the last group.
    "Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth." - JFK

"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."
    - Noam Chomsky

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's the total list of 3.X books that I've owned:

PHB 3.0
    DMG 3.0
    MM 3.0
    Hero Builder's Guide 3.0
    Psionics Handbook 3.0
    Sword & Fist
    Tome & Blood

That's it. It was about a short time after Tome & Blood was released that 3.X began wearing thin with me. T&B, however, is probably one of my favorite D&D sourcebooks to date for any edition.

My other players went pretty hog-wild with 3.0 and 3.5, so I was never inclined to spend my own money on them.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    if you count 3rd party stuff, i probably bought over 50 books, all told. pretty much all of the forgotten realms, the three core books (twice, 3.0 AND 3.5), all of the monster books (including a few third party compilations), arms and equipment, the eberron books, no modules, other than dungeon magazine, some of the "scarred lands" stuff, yeah, i've spent some money with WotC. now paizo gets my gaming $, though.

for the record, i had almost everything TSR published for AD&D (a lot of raked leaves and shoveled driveways, that...)
    "well, g'night! dont let the flesh eating demon bed babies bite!!"
    facebook.com/houstonderek

Downloads
    Uploads

All Included, About 30...

Let's see (glances behind him to his GINORMOUS bookshelf of RPG books)

1. PHB, DMG, and MM x2 (Gift Set and Individual Books so my players can look up stuff) = 6
    2. MM2 & MM3 = 2
    3. Epic Level Handbook (Not technically 3.5 but that's the system I bought/used it for) = 1
    4. EPH (Despite the pitchfork and torch mobs against it, I play a lot of Eberron) = 1
    5. Total Eberron Campaign Books (Not counting published adventures) = 8
    6. Living Greyhawk Gazeteer = 1
    7. Forgotten Realms = 2
    8. Splatbooks = 1 (I usually make modifications as needed, as do my players)

Total = 22 before published adventures

Wow, I really am a geek. Lucky I got married before she found out!

EDIT: Now that's only 3.5e WotC publications. I also purchased the PHB, DMG, and MM for 3.0 but I no longer have them. That would round out the collection at 25.

Now for some math...

Ringing that up at an average MSRP of $29.99 as listed on the back of most of my books...

$29.99 x 25 = $749.75
    $749.75 + 8.25% Tax (61.85)= $811.60

I made my first purchase in 2004, so we'll go with a total time frame of 48 months...

$811.60 / 48 months = $16.908 (16.91) a month, roughly the same amount as some MMORPGs.

Unfortunately, I have "cancelled my subscription" at the end of 3.5e and will not be purchasing any 4th edition books. After spending almost $1,000 on a single system that I and my players find no problems with, I just can't justify doing it again, even over the course of four years.
    Last edited by Talmek; 06-19-2008 at 01:42 AM.
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence, then success is assured." -Mark Twain

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Talmek View Post
    Wow, I really am a geek. Lucky I got married before she found out!
    HAHAHAHHAHAHAAHh, That Great!!! HAHAHHAAH

I try to hide it with the girls i date, but then they come to the house and between me my roommate, my other buds that play at the house there are just DND, vampire, wearwolf, GURPS, marvel, BESM books randomy stacked everywhere. Then after that, the seem to stop calling me for some reason?
    Last edited by jkfoote; 06-19-2008 at 02:23 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jkfoote View Post
    HAHAHAHHAHAHAAHh, That Great!!! HAHAHHAAH

I try to hide it with the girls i date, but then they come to the house and between me my roommate, my other buds that play at the house there are just DND, vampire, wearwolf, GURPS, marvel, BESM books randomy stacked everywhere. Then after that, the seem to stop calling me for some reason?
    wow, my gf specifically WANTED to date a geek after going out with other types of guys...
    "well, g'night! dont let the flesh eating demon bed babies bite!!"
    facebook.com/houstonderek

Downloads
    Uploads

How to be a GEEK in style...

Quote Originally Posted by jkfoote View Post
    ...I try to hide it with the girls i date, but then they come to the house and between me my roommate, my other buds that play at the house there are just DND, vampire, wearwolf, GURPS, marvel, BESM books randomy stacked everywhere...
    See? That's the problem. It's all in the presentation!
    For example: My entire collection of RPGs, fantasy books (I'm talking collector's edition hardbacks here), miniatures, etc. are all on a single large bookcase in my living room. I threw in a couple of old-looking journals that I picked up at a Barnes & Noble for 1$ apiece (use them to chronicle adventures, notes and so on) and made a rather sharp-looking corner near my computer desk.

I've actually had people compliment my layout, that is until they read what's on the multi-colored spines of those D&D books. Then they usually point...then laugh.

Although I did buy my wife a T-shirt that said, "I heart Geeks". She got a kick out of it, anyway.
    Last edited by Talmek; 06-19-2008 at 03:03 AM. Reason: Added Title, "How to be a GEEK in style"
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence, then success is assured." -Mark Twain

Downloads
    Uploads
    How many D&D 3.x books do I own?

I won't bore you with a full list, but conservatively I will estimate that I own more than 200 3.x books and OGL products (not counting periodicals).

I certainly didn't buy them all new. In fact, I paid full retail for virtually none of them. Many of them, I bought at great discount (usually online) or received as swag.

Gary

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I wish there were a "none of the above", because most of the D&D books I bought were used, including the PHB.

Here's the roster of WotC books:

PHB: Used
    MM: Used (with a sticker, even)
    Manual of the Planes: new at a steep discount ... and I sold it again
    Expanded Psionics Handbook: new but discounted, I think
    Lords of Madness: new but discounted, I think
    Tome of Magic: Used but like new

I also have about a dozen d20 and OGL books (including True20), and scads of PDFs (including some 1e and 2e scans from WotC).

Most of my purchases I intended to port to other games or read for my own morbid curiosity. The PHB saw actual use, and a lot of OGL and d20 material I was actually considering for a not-D&D-but-close game that I simply gave up on.
    Last edited by fmitchell; 06-19-2008 at 04:11 AM. Reason: remove non-WotC lists
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast