Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mapping not done on a computer

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mapping not done on a computer

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Does anyone else use the earth as their model of their uninhabited world?

Somehow, I am quite sure this is not as unusual as I have been told. I use Mapquest and Google Earth as my source. I just print out the area I want to map, ink it to bring out detail what I want to highlight, then copy it. Each time I copy it I make it just a bit lighter until the only real definition is the line the fine point Sharpie made. Sometimes I do use some white out to clean it up a bit but I get very good maps.

I can then add whatever details I wish. The map can be given to the players if I wish as it looks like I generated it by hand and the map can be turned upside down with the names and writing done upside down to totally confuse any chance the players could actually recognize the location.

The maps come with a scale to make it easier on me. I also have maps I made similarly from old atlases.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you are using mapquest or google earth, wouldn't that qualify as using a computer?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Guess I meant using a CAD program. I used to make them freehand from an atlas, but find using a scalable map is even easier. But I guess your right, I do use a computer like that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    i do it free hand, CAD programs look wrong to me.
    I do not play them here or there, I do not play them anywhere, I do not play them with a fox. I do not mash that button box. I do not like MMO games. In the end ther're all the same.
    -Tesral

Downloads
    Uploads
    i used to have an atlas of the ancient world (included mesoamerica stuff too) lots of site maps, pyramid interiors, cities and stuff, all real world. i would hand draw maps out of that book like mad for my game. now, i use googlemaps to compare modern cities to the drawings made in the high middle ages so i can get the street scale and landmarks nailed down. so, yeah, chalk me down as a "yes"
    "well, g'night! dont let the flesh eating demon bed babies bite!!"
    facebook.com/houstonderek

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It would save a lot of work it would. I didn't but it wasn't much in fashion you understand.

As for maping with out a computer I understand that things called "pencils" are to be had.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    It would save a lot of work it would. I didn't but it wasn't much in fashion you understand.

As for maping with out a computer I understand that things called "pencils" are to be had.

I've seen these pencil things at the dollar store. Even more remarkable was that right next to the pencils were colored pencils. There was also pens and crayons there too.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cplmac View Post

I've seen these pencil things at the dollar store. Even more remarkable was that right next to the pencils were colored pencils. There was also pens and crayons there too.
    What will they think of next?

The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just recently (from moving not long ago) was going through all my old DnD stuff from years ago. I had bought a bunch of really fine graph paper and colored pencils to create huge world view drawings, then scaled bit by bit to produce region maps for important areas, local, city, etc... My players had at one point made copies of most of the maps (once they knew everything on them at the time anyway).

Here is the killer. This is not the first move since then and I cannot find the fine colored pencil maps I spent hours and hours on. However, I do have several lousy zerox copies to look at bitterly.
    "Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth." - JFK

"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."
    - Noam Chomsky

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Engar View Post
    Here is the killer. This is not the first move since then and I cannot find the fine colored pencil maps I spent hours and hours on. However, I do have several lousy zerox copies to look at bitterly.
    Been there, been done by that.

My current maps are old as the hills. 11X 17 sheets of paper that cover a bed but I'm still using them.

The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Been there, been done by that.

My current maps are old as the hills. 11X 17 sheets of paper that cover a bed but I'm still using them.
    im in the process of redrawing all of my world maps, region maps, castles, towns, cities, etc. this is fifth generation map making for me, as my artistic skill improves, and my ability to buy higher quality art supplies increases, i find myself looking at the last gen maps and saying, "hmmm, it would look so much better on vellum with a soft prismacolor palate..."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by agoraderek View Post
    im in the process of redrawing all of my world maps, region maps, castles, towns, cities, etc. this is fifth generation map making for me, as my artistic skill improves, and my ability to buy higher quality art supplies increases, i find myself looking at the last gen maps and saying, "hmmm, it would look so much better on vellum with a soft prismacolor palate..."
    So would mine frankly. But I want to get them on computer. I have CC, I just have not had the time to learn its foibles. Scanning and tracing the old maps would indeed be a pain. Some times it's just easier to keep using them.

The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    So would mine frankly. But I want to get them on computer. I have CC, I just have not had the time to learn its foibles. Scanning and tracing the old maps would indeed be a pain. Some times it's just easier to keep using them.
    my problem with computer cartography is this: i have to call my 12 year old nephew to walk me through how to turn this thing on sometimes. i have two different cartography programs i downloaded, and cant figure out either of them!

when everyone else was geeking out on computers when i was growing up, i was geeking out on a bristol drawing pad and 2h pencils...

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i use painter, fireworks, and/or gimp for mapping. hand drawn as i have a pen-tablet tool. very nice. =D the erases don't smudge. ^^ makes for less swampland as a result. ;D
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by agoraderek View Post
    When everyone else was geeking out on computers when i was growing up, i was geeking out on a bristol drawing pad and 2h pencils...
    When I started gaming computers where not available, peroid. We wrote on legal pads and made maps on graph paper.

I like my new tools.

The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast