Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: showthread_campaign in ..../includes/functions.php on line 4591

Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: googlescript in ..../includes/functions.php on line 4591
DND 4e Homebrew or 3.5 Eberron (& making new friends!)
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Campaign Summary
Campaign Summary Genre: Fantasy
System Used: Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 or 4
Style: 50% Roleplaying / 50% Combat
Desired # of Players: 4
Game Location Street Address: 169 S. Medio Dr
City: Los Angeles
State: CA
Zip Code / Postal Code: 90049
Game Times Frequency: Biweekly
Days of Week: Friday, Saturday, Sunday
Online Game Details Online Game?: No
Online Software Used: n/a
Additional Options Looking for Players?: Yes
Google Map
Loading Map...

(n/a)

Thread: DND 4e Homebrew or 3.5 Eberron (& making new friends!)

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile DND 4e Homebrew or 3.5 Eberron (& making new friends!)

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Hello everyone,

My fiance and I will be moving to L.A. this summer and we're hoping to make some new friends when we move. I think starting up a DND group would be a good way for us meet some new people who have similar interests as we do.

Let me give you a little bit of an idea of who we are, after all, we want to make new friends who are like us!

Me: I'm 25, originally from L.A. and am finishing up a master's degree in human development. I really enjoy playing in Eberron and reading novels set there as well. The high-technology-via-magic the game has to offer makes it a very interesting system to play in. Outside of DND, I'm pretty much a regular guy. I love watching basketball (am very mad at the Lakers right now!), love watching The Simpsons, Modern Marvels, Dirty Jobs and true crime shows, and just doing things with my fiance (like going to the zoo, museums, etc). We both love playing video games, especially the Final Fantasy series.

Her: She's 25 also, grew up in Nashville and is moving to LA with me so she can begin a program for a masters of marriage and family therapy. She's only played DND a few times with me as her DM since we don't have a group out here. She enjoyed playing but was not a fan of character creation! She's told me in the future that she'd just explain what she wants and to make her character for her! She's an artist (has a BA in fine art), and also enjoys watching many different TV shows, playing on her wiifit (if you can call that intense exercise program "playing"!), playing other video games (a girl who loves Final Fantasy? Yeah, that's right!), and doing things with me as I said above.

Now that you know a little about who we are, let me explain what we're looking for in terms of a gaming group.
    We're both very casual gamers - especially her! We both find that playing RPGs is a great way to be creative, eat some food, meet new people and just have fun! We'd like to find others who just want to have a good time every other weekend and/or when it's convenient. Every other weekend is probably ideal because then we'd have the non-gaming weekends to hang out with our newly made friends outside of playing DND!

I enjoy both playing and DMing, they're both fun ways to be creative. I think she would really enjoy DMing, but does not have any experience doing so. If somebody else wants to DM and have us as players that's fine, likewise, if you want me or her to DM while you play that's fine too. We're both not rules lawyers, and they will not be welcome with our games. Min-Maxers will also probably not be accepted, well rounded characters are both more fun to play and DM for.

We have the 3 new DND4 books, and would like to use that system for the time being. Maybe we can find a way to homebrew Eberron into the system before the official books are released; but, playing a homebrew campaign is probably the best idea. I have so many adventures lined up in my head, I know I can make our sessions always fun. Again, if somebody else wants to DM the DND4 system and have us as players, that'd be great as well! Alternatively, we could all take turns DMing and playing. We're very flexible! We're planning our wedding (dated in August, 2009), having some downtime to beat up some monsters, find some treasure and role play will be great!

Well, if any of that sounds good, please reply to this thread or shoot me a Private Message!

We're looking forward to making some new friends when we get out to L.A.!

Yours,
    Ev

Downloads
    Uploads
    hey,

you and your wife sound like fun people =)
    just a quick question, are you into Star Wars at all? ever try playing a D20 star Wars game? rules are very similar to 3.5. it would be really simple to make the jump =)

just something to think about.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey there, thanks for your reply! She's not my wife yet; but, will be soon

I've never played Star Wars d20... I'm not a huge fan of the movies. Sure, I love Star Wars, but I'm not that enthusiastic about it as other people.

I'd really like to try to find a small group to pick up the DND 4e system. Do you have the books yet? Maybe we can figure out something.

~Ev

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool

of course. reading comprehension is a good thing =)

I don't have any of the new books, (actually I don't have any books, I just have a bunch in pdf form) but I am definitely interested in learning the new system. I'm not really hung up on any specific rule set, I just know 3.5 best because that is where most of my xp lies =)
    I am down with whatever people wanna use.

when are you planning on making the move out here?
    I'm ichin to roll some dice again =)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Moving out to LA on July 4th actually. Have a lot planned immediately after the move (you know how moving can be). I agree with you, 3.5 is my preferred system because it is what I know best. I also really would like to learn the 4e system, but 3.5 is great too. My fiance prefers 4e because its simpler overall.

Do you have AIM or googleTalk? Maybe we can start chatting before our move out there. I'd be happy to chat with out about the 4th edition system.

Assuming you're the same cmdluke who has pm'd me on the wizards.com forums (which are totally screwing up on my end so I can't reply to your message!), how'd meeting with the Long Beach DND meetup.com meetup go? Any interesting prospects there? I might have some friends back in LA who'd like to join us when we play but I really can't say.

If you're interested, we have 3 people interested... you, me, & my fiance. If we can get 1 or 2 more that'd be pretty good.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My girlfriend and I would be interested in joining you. Darcy has very little experience and would probably just watch and absorb the first couple of sessions so she's not so overwhelmed. We're both very relaxed, down to earth people and, like you, enjoy the game all the more for the friends you make along the way. I'm 26 and Darcy is 24. It's actually been awhile since I've played with anyone my own age. Usually you get into groups where everyone is at least ten years older then you. Still rockin' people, but it's nice to join up with some more 20 somethings.

We don't have the 4e books yet, but have no problem picking them up if that turns out to be the edition we play. I'm sure it won't be too difficult to learn and that would put me on a more level playing field with Darcy
    Last edited by Kirt; 06-23-2008 at 05:21 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Kirt,

Thanks for the message. Orange County is a little far away from where I'll be moving, but it's nice of you to offer. I'll have to really see how the schedule/traffic/etc works out. Maybe we'll be able to head down to OC from time to time.

I know exactly what you mean about trying out a group for the first time and finding everybody is 40 years old and complete rules lawyers. Yuck.

I've found already that 4e may not be as versatile for us as more experienced players; but, it is easier for new players to pick up the system like Bronwyn and Darcy.

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool

yes, that was me. =)
    I've been trying to stick to this site cause wizards forums have been giving me problems as well =)
    July 4th is pretty close. Moving can be a pain. I just moved in February. It was only a couple miles but it took us a whole 3 day weekend to get everything moved and unpacked. I imagine a cross country move would be much worse. I don't envy you =)

I didn't actually end up going to the long beach meet-up. its probably a good thing though cause I got an email this morning saying that the group organizer has stepped down and the group will probably dissolve.

4e sounds fine. Its nice to know the newest system because they usually become the norm for most groups.

I don't generally used chats but I usually pick things up pretty fast. I'll try and pick up the phb so I can look through it to get a feeling for the new system.

I am definitely interested in meeting up with you and your fiance. =)
    I have a friend who I introduced to the game last year. I'm not sure how interested he actually is in playing but I can ask him.

My last campaign I was in, it was only 3 people. we made it work.
    It was actually a pretty fun campaign. the DM played a cleric who kind of stayed out of the game, except to heal or use random abilities. my friend played a bow wielding ranger, and I played a 4 armed fighter/assasin. it was a 20 lvl campaign with some homebrew elements. each player was allowed to pick an artifact at the start of the game. since we didn't have a tank character, the one I picked (i forget the name) allowed me to summon an elder earth elemental 3 times per day. so I got to play the tank and an assasin who used 4 speedy/wounding daggers. He got around 15 attacks per round and didn't care about dealing normal damage. he dealt con damage, which would normally be an instant kill to most guys. it was a pretty good time =)

it was fun to start with a maxed out character, but I haven't done any character progression in a while. I'm looking forward to start playing again.

whew. that was a long post =)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello

I live in Glendora which is 30 miles away or so me and my friend shawn are both experienced players with at least 3 years of experience were both firm believers in the power of the DM over the power of the books so none of this stickler for the rules bologna. We are both willing to drive to LA and would actually prefer to play there. we really cant wait to find a group to play in

- grnds

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool

hey man,

I picked up the 4e phb over the weekend. I've been checking it out. its interesting the way they reworked everything. I kinda miss some of the classes (looking forward to the phb2)

I'm excited to roll a character and try out the new rule set.

good luck with the move this week.
    I look forward to meeting up with you. =)

colin

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello, I just moved to California myself! Even though the distance is still far between our locations I will wish you guys the best of luck finding a new group and good gaming! Of course, 4th edition is coming out with an online virtual gametable so who knows...maybe I'll see you both there someday. Take Care!

Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb

Well, I'm in the Nashville airport right now waiting to board my flight to L.A. in about an hour and a half!

Since I have no idea about how these meet ups will work, and discussing me and my fiance hosting a game, why don't you all shoot me an email and we can try to set something up. Initial, I think it would be best for some of us (if not all of us) to meet somewhere for coffee, ice cream, etc. and just get to know each other. There, we can discuss the possibility of starting up a regularly occurring game and/or activities for us to all have fun in.

So, why don't you all shoot me an email to koesherbacon@gmail.com. Then, I can compile put together a mass email and we can figure out where/when to meet first.

Please make sure you make the subject you put this site in your subject and identify yourself by username in the body of the email. Hopefully, we can set something up. If it does not work out right when my fiance and I get to L.A. then I'm sure something can be worked out in the future.

Dig?

Right on!

Downloads
    Uploads

?

is it okay if i join? unfortunately i will be unable to participate on friday nights and saturdays due to religious reasons. also, im 17. is that a problem?

Downloads
    Uploads

I'd love to join

I'm chris and I'm 29, just moved to LA from knoxville, TN and I'm looking for a good group to join. I played second edition for 10 years, so that's what I'm used to, but i'm down to play anything! i just wanna role-play, lol! you can contact me at reedcc@live.com for more info, meetings, things like that. thanks and i look forward to hearing back from you.