Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Guess my age!
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Guess my age!

Downloads
    Uploads

Guess my age!

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Not related to the whole "I want no one I haven't screened to read my ranting..." Blah, blah, blah...

Is age or age group a reasonable sort criteria for finding players/groups? Obviously it need not be required (other than 13 or whatever, but that's the web guru's compliance thing). It gets discussed eventually, but might save some time. I want to make sure the group I choose has a comfy rocking chair ready for me.
    "Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth." - JFK

"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."
    - Noam Chomsky

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've thought about having an age group category on the player registry for members who have decided to share their birth date information. There are only two things that are a bit of a hitch. A lot of members don't choose to share their age in the current options. If they aren't sharing their age, I don't want to display their age group either, for privacy reasons. Second, I am very hesitant to provide a way for anyone to be able to do an age group search for anyone under 18. So, that'd probably be out. Perhaps I could lump the younger ones into the undisclosed category though.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Undisclosed = young. Not in all instances I guess, but those looking will take the lack of info as an indication.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hell, I would even like to be able to screen French players ! Yuck.
    Au gibet noir, manchot aimable, dansent, dansent les paladins
    Les maigres paladins du diable les squelettes de Saladins.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You know, I've never had a problem with letting young or old players game with me. First I try to make sure I interview new players to the group and second, if the player is under 18, I make sure their parents are aware of the fact that we are adult that the individual is playing with and also make sure that those same adults who are playing keep their language and play in check.

Heck, I prefer a young player's parent(s) are at the first game or games so that they're aware of and comfortable with their children's activities.

I've found that you can have a young player whose more mature than some 'adult' players! You just have to make sure to tailor your gaming experience to your audience!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mrken View Post
    Undisclosed = young. Not in all instances I guess, but those looking will take the lack of info as an indication.

Unfortunately, in this day and age, this is so true. I wonder if that is how they get alot of thier information.

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape View Post
    You know, I've never had a problem with letting young or old players game with me. First I try to make sure I interview new players to the group and second, if the player is under 18, I make sure their parents are aware of the fact that we are adult that the individual is playing with and also make sure that those same adults who are playing keep their language and play in check.

Heck, I prefer a young player's parent(s) are at the first game or games so that they're aware of and comfortable with their children's activities.

I've found that you can have a young player whose more mature than some 'adult' players! You just have to make sure to tailor your gaming experience to your audience!

Wouldn't it be great if the parent also started to play too?

Downloads
    Uploads
    As a teacher you are expected to avoid even the appearance of impropriety. Under 21 is an unacceptable risk to my livelyhood.

"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."
    - Noam Chomsky

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's understandable, Eng. I wouldn't be opposed to having a younger player in my game, but my limit would probably be 18 or over. No younger.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Engar View Post
    As a teacher you are expected to avoid even the appearance of impropriety. Under 21 is an unacceptable risk to my livelyhood.
    the ale flows freely at my games, so i tend to see 21 as the floor for ages in my game as well.
    "well, g'night! dont let the flesh eating demon bed babies bite!!"
    facebook.com/houstonderek

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by agoraderek View Post
    the ale flows freely at my games, so i tend to see 21 as the floor for ages in my game as well.
    We don't mix alcohol with our games anymore. Unpleasant experiences and none of us are anything but social (if even that) drinkers anyway.

That aside, anyone 18 or over maybe be able to find a place at my game table, as long as they demonstrate non-problematic personalities. Maturity and social conduct are more important to me than the numbers.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The age of the player has never been much of a factor to me. I have GM'ed for groups of adults, pre-teens and a mixture of every age. I tend to keep my games rather PG rated normally so making it a bit more gentle is not really much of a problem. Running games for my children and their friends has helped me see just how gentle a fantasy game can be. Still a lot of death but the kids expect that as they grew up watching their parents all play DnD.

Currently I am running a game for couples who's youngest child running about the house at 12, the oldest two had to quite the game because they started a job, though one has changed jobs and now finds he may be able to play again. The other group is sort of in neutral as we can't find enough people to keep it going when the two boys took jobs and one member left. We have had two new people join but leave after one week. May be a problem with the frequency of get-togethers planned at twice a month but in actuality more like once a month if we get lucky.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just like the bar set at 21 for my house. I rarely drink too.

- Noam Chomsky

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Engar View Post
    Not related to the whole "I want no one I haven't screened to read my ranting..." Blah, blah, blah...

Is age or age group a reasonable sort criteria for finding players/groups? Obviously it need not be required (other than 13 or whatever, but that's the web guru's compliance thing). It gets discussed eventually, but might save some time. I want to make sure the group I choose has a comfy rocking chair ready for me.
    WORD!!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Drinking in moderation is cool with our games. In a six hour game, the most i have ever seen anyone drink is three beers.

Thoth-Amon

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    this one is one of the odd ones who've never had a drink (alcoholic) in this ones life. moreover, the smell of alcohol gives this one an instant headache. *shrugs* among other reasons for avoiding it. ^^ nonetheless, this one finds that maturity of soul to be the primary factor, regardless of age. though legal youth this one does require to acquire knowledgeable and informed parental consent. (teaching opportunity to boot, belike)
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast